Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I remember seeing the opening scene of a movie about 10 years ago, but I can't remember its name. It seemed like a spy/conspiracy thriller, and by the looks of it, it was made in the 1970s or early 1980s.

If I remember correctly, the opening scene featured two locations - an old fashioned mansion with wood panelling etc, and a contemporary modern office building in a city. In the office, a gunman (or men) enters and starts shooting people (possibly looking for some McGuffin). I think I remember that the camera follows an office worker into the building and he is later seen taking cover from the shots. I'm almost certain there is a killing in the mansion also.

As I said, I only saw the opening scene 10 years ago, so I have no other information. It could be a well known or an obsure film.

Any help to identify it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

I remember seeing the opening scene of a movie about 10 years ago, but I can't remember its name. It seemed like a spy/conspiracy thriller, and by the looks of it, it was made in the 1970s or early 1980s.

Thanks.

3 Days of the Condor ...maybe

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/475332/Three-Days-Of-The-Condor-Movie-Clip-Dick-Tracy.html

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073802/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Joeface wrote: »

I read the first few paragraphs of the plot on Wikipedia and that certainly rings a bell.

Thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭battleaxe88

Ok, hope someone can help me. In the movie a man is in this weird machine thing, he gets made really small and gets put into a woman's body. That's pretty much all I can remember about it. I have a feeling the man from Quantum Leap is in it.

do you mean innerspace

with Denis Quaid and meg ryan. only he doesnt get up into her body , he gets put into martin shorts.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093260/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭battleaxe88

do you mean innerspace

with Denis Quaid and meg ryan. only he doesnt get up into her body , he gets put into martin shorts.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093260/

That's the one!! The fact that you knew that without any correct information is quite impressive! Thanks:)

no prob , twas a childhood classic , not on the same level as the goonies or Willow but a Saturday after noon watch all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

So the film is relatively new, its been out the last year or 2.

I've half seen the trailer on 'UPC on demand' and its about greyhounds and old men. I think its set in England. After that i'm not sure but I want to see it

Any help is appreciated.

[and its not man about dog]

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭winsumlusum

full_irish wrote: »
    So the film is relatively new, its been out the last year or 2.

I've half seen the trailer on 'UPC on demand' and its about greyhounds and old men. I think its set in England. After that i'm not sure but I want to see it

Any help is appreciated.

[and its not man about dog]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mighty_Celt from 2005 though and set in NI

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

No although a cracking film all the same. Its more recent, as it was being advertised on UPC movies section as new release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭winsumlusum

full_irish wrote: »
    No although a cracking film all the same. Its more recent, as it was being advertised on UPC movies section as new release.
    don't know I googled terms like filmabout greyhound set in england as you probably did. If you think its only a couple years old you may find it here. You can change the year

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭wolf99

A movie I saw when I was only a young lad in the early 90's, seemed pretty scary to me but may not have been a horror specifically.

I remember some guy made about 4-6 small weponised humonoid robots (about the size of a water bottle) that would do his bidding. Eventually they turned on him for some reason or another, he ran from them and went into one of those old elevators with the cage doors, but they were able to pull him to the door by reaching through the bars, then chopped his fingers and a load of yellow liquid came out and he died.

Pretty crazy and that's about all I remember of it. Have been looking for this movies name on and off for years and nobody seems to have seen it. Maybe someone here has??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭splashthecash

wolf99 wrote: »
    A movie I saw when I was only a young lad in the early 90's, seemed pretty scary to me but may not have been a horror specifically.

I remember some guy made about 4-6 small weponised humonoid robots (about the size of a water bottle) that would do his bidding. Eventually they turned on him for some reason or another, he ran from them and went into one of those old elevators with the cage doors, but they were able to pull him to the door by reaching through the bars, then chopped his fingers and a load of yellow liquid came out and he died.

Pretty crazy and that's about all I remember of it. Have been looking for this movies name on and off for years and nobody seems to have seen it. Maybe someone here has??

This sounds like the craziest film ever.....I gotta see it :)

Are you mixing up movies ...the end sounds like puppetmaster ..the rest Im not so sure .
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098143/

@ Joeface: Hmmm, seems the right time period and some of that is ringing bells - set in hotels, dolls with drills for heads and spitting up leeches, other parts I dont recall at all...

I'll have to find somewhere to watch/download it, you wouldn't have any ideas on where I might watch it, or the sequels?

Cheers!

sorry cannot help there , only barely remember it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ianhmoore

Sounds like the ending to the movie "Runaway" with Tom Selleck. It was a Michael Crichton movie where Selleck played a cop who dealt with "Runaway" robots. The bad guy (Gene Simmons) gets killed in the end by small robots that inject him with acid or something. He dies with yellow fluid pouring out of him at a construction site (with the cage style elevator).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCSPIj9u0qw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCZY9Z6WvSY

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088024/

Joeface, ianhmoore, think I was mixin the two films up! but Puppet Master was the main one I was thinking of, I found somewhere to watch it online.

That is one crazy ass movie... and there's 10 sequels!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

Hey all,

A few months ago I watched a British horror film on Netflix (US). I can't remember the name of it, but I was pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed it.

I can't remember the name now, nor do I know any of the actors in it (they weren't well known).

The story goes...

...a young woman visits her family's country cottage, mostly to see her father. Her father explains that her mother is out and admits that he believes she's having an affair.

Her brother and his friends are drinking in a nearby loft. One of the girls used to be good friends with the girl who is visiting and is now also dating her brother! There's some tension between them as they used to be good friends 'til 'visiting girl' left.

Anyway, as relationships are renewed, a beast enters the ground stalking them...

As it turns out -
    The beast is in fact her mother. Near the start (I think) a woman - the mother - is attacked by 'something', turning her. This is revealed towards the end.

Anyone have any clue what I'm talking about? :)

Thanks.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I Am Kong! wrote: »
    Hey all,

A few months ago I watched a British horror film on Netflix (US). I can't remember the name of it, but I was pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed it.

I can't remember the name now, nor do I know any of the actors in it (they weren't well known).

The story goes...

...a young woman visits her family's country cottage, mostly to see her father. Her father explains that her mother is out and admits that he believes she's having an affair.

Her brother and his friends are drinking in a nearby loft. One of the girls used to be good friends with the girl who is visiting and is now also dating her brother! There's some tension between them as they used to be good friends 'til 'visiting girl' left.

Anyway, as relationships are renewed, a beast enters the ground stalking them...

As it turns out -
    The beast is in fact her mother. Near the start (I think) a woman - the mother - is attacked by 'something', turning her. This is revealed towards the end.

Thanks.

No idea what it is, but you should be able to just look at your "Recently Watched" list and see it there.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    No idea what it is, but you should be able to just look at your "Recently Watched" list and see it there.

Just reactivated my account to find it there, but no recently watched section :confused:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Just reactivated my account to find it there, but no recently watched section :confused:

Does it show the last thing you watched at the top left of the page? Might have deleted it when you closed your account unfortunately.

Does it show the last thing you watched at the top left of the page? Might have deleted it when you closed your account unfortunately.

Yeah it does - The original Twilight Zone series :) But that's the only one...

Yeah it does - The original Twilight Zone series :) But that's the only one...

You should be able to click the words "Recently Watched" above the twilight zone picture, that should take you to the list.

You should be able to click the words "Recently Watched" above the twilight zone picture, that should take you to the list.

Ah, just above the twilight zone is 'top ten for name', but no recently watched.

Ah well, thanks for you help anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bhk123

Hi there,

I am looking for a movie/tv movie or maybe an episode of a series.... dont know :(

probably 1997-2006 (sorry thats the best i got) i geuss it's sci-fi genre

all i remember from it is: a good guy a bad guy,the good guy might be a cyborg or have an artifical heart not sure...

the bad guy i think kidnappes this girl for some knowlege
    i remember a scene in witch he connects these little pumps to her forehead so she can control this computer or somthing
    i remeber there is a virtual reality aspect to it beacaue there were these pods or sits that have like 3 crytal looking sticks on each side of the head and they close down like a crab's legs and then glow white.. and then the person enter this vr or cyber spcae or somthing...' the thing i rememr the most is that the good guy defeats the bad guy in the virtual reality in a game the resembles "half life" or some sorth of a first person shooter and a female voice computer tells the hero where to find the rocket luancher i think.... that's it! who ever solves this 1 is the best of.... the best........ hands down...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Hey all,

The story goes...

As it turns out -

Thanks.
    Possibly 13 Hours???

bhk123 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I am looking for a movie/tv movie or maybe an episode of a series.... dont know :(

probably 1997-2006 (sorry thats the best i got) i geuss it's sci-fi genre

all i remember from it is: a good guy a bad guy,the good guy might be a cyborg or have an artifical heart not sure...

the bad guy i think kidnappes this girl for some knowlege
    i remember a scene in witch he connects these little pumps to her forehead so she can control this computer or somthing
    i remeber there is a virtual reality aspect to it beacaue there were these pods or sits that have like 3 crytal looking sticks on each side of the head and they close down like a crab's legs and then glow white.. and then the person enter this vr or cyber spcae or somthing...' the thing i rememr the most is that the good guy defeats the bad guy in the virtual reality in a game the resembles "half life" or some sorth of a first person shooter and a female voice computer tells the hero where to find the rocket luancher i think.... that's it! who ever solves this 1 is the best of.... the best........ hands down...

Lawnmower Man 2: Beyond Cyberspace ...??????????? if Im right its shame on me for acknowledging that this movie exists

Ape X wrote: »
    Possibly 13 Hours???

Thanks, but it's not that one.

It actually wasn't on Netflix I saw it. I checked a forum on a site I use to download sometimes (the topics I thanked) and found it that way.

It's rubbishly titled 'Night Wolf'! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 bhk123

Lawnmower Man 2: Beyond Cyberspace ...??????????? if Im right its shame on me for acknowledging that this movie exists

no it's not that.... probably a tv movie or an episode of somthing.... :( help

Advertisement