Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Harcourt Street Station Tours

• 31-03-2015 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I have vague recollections of being inside the old Harcourt Street train station in the mid-1990s at some sort of rail exhibition.

I heard recently that tours are offered of the old station nowadays. Is there any truth in this? Would there be any of the original station left upstairs, since the place was destroy.... sorry turned into a club?

All info much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

When POD was open they did one weekly as a requirement of their restoration tax incentive. It was often just one person. Now it's closed I don't know if they happen anymore

The place was destroyed when turned in to offices in the late 60s, the venues didn't make anything worse

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

L1011 wrote: »
    When POD was open they did one weekly as a requirement of their restoration tax incentive. It was often just one person. Now it's closed I don't know if they happen anymore

The place was destroyed when turned in to offices in the late 60s, the venues didn't make anything worse
    In a pleasant coincidence, the Revenue this week issued a list of buildings which have availed of the Section 482 exemption and and thus available to be toured by the public. The old Harcourt Street Station is on there and the contact details are for the Odeon Bar. It's supposedly available for a tour all year round, in excess of the minimum 60 days requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Thanks for the responses. I'd like to have a look inside, see if there is anything left upstairs... even if, I mean, I've been to POD, and know there isn't! Still though...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They may not be able to show you much as while it's the booking hall and offices, the vaults and shed are a different owner / venue

Advertisement