Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will pound take my dog and rehome him?

• 16-04-2010 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Unfortunately I cannot look after my dog anymore and I was wondering if I walk into Dogs Aid or Dogs in Distress, would they rehome him for me?? Im devastated..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

what breed,what age is he/she
    is it nutered
    is it house trained
    is it lead trained

these questions will give people the information they need, they may have friends who are looking for a pet
    so it would be good to get answers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

You could also try rehoming him yourself?
    We have a rehoming thread here in Animal Welfare anyway if you wish to post up and see if anyone can take him in.
    But perhaps some rescues would aid in helping rehome (might give advice etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

That's so sad. Maybe you could try going onto a few different Irish animals or dog forums and asking if anyone would like to rehome him. You could advertise to rehome him in a local paper or something, but you'd have to be careful who got him and probably visit their house and stuff to make sure it'll be a good home. You could also put up a poster in local vets and somebody might see it and be looking for a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Neither Dog's Aid or DID are pounds. They are rescues and the crucial difference is that they will not put your dog to sleep. If you surrender your dog to a pound they can put him down immediately and many will. Some pounds are better than others and work alongside rescues, some don't so it also depends which pound is the one for your area. Under the law, pounds are not obliged to rehome dogs. It is not their role.

You should try to contact some rescues first to see if they can help but many are full and I don't know if they would be able to. You can do a few things that might speed up the process of getting your dog into a rescue, such as making sure he/she is vaccinated, wormed, and neutered/spayed before approaching the rescues.

Personally, I would never ever ever surrender my dog to a pound as there is just no guarantee that they will get out alive, and even if they do the pounds don't vet homes like a reputable rescue would (not all rescues are good either!) so your dog could end up with anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Do not take the dog to the Pound under any circumstances. Most rescues know each other so if you talk to one they will probably be able to refer you to someone who can help. You could also call the Dogs Trust.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Neither Dogs Aid, nor Dogs in Distress are a pound, they are rescues. Please don't take him to the pound, contact rescues such as those mentioned and see if they can help.

What kind of dog is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Missus09

Its a boy, neutered, five years old, good temperment and is a bijon/poodle cross i think.
    i would never leave it to the pound if they put them down there. All this guy needs is love :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 newdogowner

im wondering do the agencies charge you to take your pet off your hands?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

im wondering do the agencies charge you to take your pet off your hands?

I think they often try to get some money off you. Which is only fair enough really as they probably need that money.

I'd try to rehome him myself, through advertising on the internet or in local shops, but be very careful who gets the dog and go visit their home first to get an idea of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Even think about sticking up a poster in your local vets looking for a good home? Or tesco/supervalu etc I've seen ads like this. Please don't send him to the pound unless you really are left with no choice. :(
    Missus09 wrote: »
    is a bijon/poodle cross i think.

You think? Is he like this...

0008-0312-1700-0417_animals_pets_cute_curious_white_bijon_poodle_pics_pictures_photos.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭mollymascara

Missus09 wrote: »
    Its a boy, neutered, five years old, good temperment and is a bijon/poodle cross i think.
    i would never leave it to the pound if they put them down there. All this guy needs is love :)

Im not sure what area you are living in, but there are a lot of charities out there that would be willing to take him off your hands, in Dublin, there is Dogs Trust, the DSPCA (in Longford ISPCA), theres the Blue Cross, Clondalkin Animal Aid (they foster until permenant homes found), and also as previous posts suggest, pop a pic on the rehoming section and see how it goes, at least that way you would get to meet any future owner.

Some of the charities may ask for a small donation, but thats about it.

Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Any update on this lil pooch? :)

Advertisement