Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Yamakasi Catleap monitor club.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

+1 more stuff you load on the more input lag you get.

The other makes are obstensively the same. Many of us went for Catleaps as they used to be able to be over clocked to 120Hz - there are a bunch developing circuit boards to re-enable that feature on the current crop.

Actually some of the other makes give you a much better stand than the one of the Catleap which is some-sort of bobble-head

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

Who knows.
    I bought a catleap because it was in the title here.
    I'm relatively sure they're all close to or the same.

I was charged 112 euro customs and I had a good few dead pixels.
    Always get the one with "pixel perfect", imo it's the safest way to go.
    I had pixel perfect, and the process of getting it replaced is relatively simple once you deal with the customs forms and paypal, which are both just to cover you.
    Customs forms so you're not charged again for the replacement, and paypal to make sure the seller doesn't just keep the defective screen and your money.
    Not sure where I'd stand without "pixel perfect".
    Green-sum's a good seller at least, and some great communication skills from them during all this.

There's stuff to keep in mind when you're purchasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Who knows.
    I bought a catleap because it was in the title here.
    I'm relatively sure they're all close to or the same.

I was charged 112 euro customs and I had a good few dead pixels.
    Always get the one with "pixel perfect", imo it's the safest way to go.
    I had pixel perfect, and the process of getting it replaced is relatively simple once you deal with the customs forms and paypal, which are both just to cover you.
    Customs forms so you're not charged again for the replacement, and paypal to make sure the seller doesn't just keep the defective screen and your money.
    Not sure where I'd stand without "pixel perfect".
    Green-sum's a good seller at least, and some great communication skills from them during all this.

There's stuff to keep in mind when you're purchasing.

Thanks, that's a great help.

From what I've read here it would seem that you were charged more than others at customs.

I think I might take a chance and just go for a non pixel perfect version and save myself the cash. From what I've read it looks like I'll have just as much chance of getting a dead-pixel free display. Pixel perfect just seems like a sort of premium guarantee.

For anyone else looking for detailed information, I just stumbled across this site. It's all very clear; I'm still reading through it, but I figure it might be of use to similarly clueless people looking to make a purchase: http://www.swiftworld.net/2012/04/14/budget-korean-27-ips-monitor-information-and-comparison-of-the-different-brands-and-models/

+1 more stuff you load on the more input lag you get.

The other makes are obstensively the same. Many of us went for Catleaps as they used to be able to be over clocked to 120Hz - there are a bunch developing circuit boards to re-enable that feature on the current crop.

Actually some of the other makes give you a much better stand than the one of the Catleap which is some-sort of bobble-head

I think I might go for the Catleap in that case, with a view to hopefully clocking to 120hz at some point in the future.

EDIT - Just seen this http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-YAMAKASI-CATLEAP-2703-LED-27-2560X1440-WQHD-IPS-DVI-Monitor-Tempered-glassl-/110920266460?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item19d35cf2dc

CATLEAP 2703 - it seems to be the cheapest and latest version available. Would this be the better choice over the q270?

vard wrote: »
    Thanks, that's a great help.

From what I've read here it would seem that you were charged more than others at customs.

Yeah, I'm the minority.
    Pretty sure they went straight to euro without calculating the exchange rate from dollars.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm the minority.
    Pretty sure they went straight to euro without calculating the exchange rate from dollars.

Either that or you got hit for duty as well as VAT - you shouldn't have done but it is open to debate what category monitors fall into.

My bill said:
    Duty: 0.00 EUR
    VAT: 112ish EUR

My bill said:
    Duty: 0.00 EUR
    VAT: 112ish EUR

You defo got done on no conversion then. Any luck claiming it back. Did you get yours fixed?

I'm hoping I won't get stung myself... I imported a laptop not so long ago. Got them to mark it as RMA Warranty Repair. It was being sent to the UK; I don't have much experience with Irish customs.

Either way, looking forward to getting my paws on it! I decided to buy this one, the new CATLEAP 2703 Tempered Glass: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-YAMAKASI-CATLEAP-2703-LED-27-2560X1440-WQHD-IPS-DVI-Monitor-Tempered-glassl-/110920266460?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item19d35cf2dc - I was going to go for the white version to match my case, but I decided to play it safe. I figured a white edge could end up being distracting.

Anyway, it was the cheapest I could find. Tempered glass, better build quality and identical spec/performance apparently. I was able to pay with my UK debit card, I JUST had enough - there's now £00.17 sitting in the account.

I don't think the 2703 will be compatible with the 120Hz board... could be wrong.

• Advertisement

I don't think the 2703 will be compatible with the 120Hz board... could be wrong.

With a bit of luck :P

Hard to find definitive information, but I did read that these are being marketed as 'gamer versions' and there were people talking up the possibilities of upgrading to 120hz at some stage.

I don't know much about it all, but even at the stock rate it should be just as beautiful and as big an upgrade for me.

Once it arrives I'll have to find out how I can overclock to 120... but I'll worry about that when it's sat on my desk.

You defo got done on no conversion then. Any luck claiming it back. Did you get yours fixed?

A few years back I had the same issue, and it turned out they don't have to convert at all, they just usually do.
    green-sum says they're out of the model I got so dunno yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭God Father

vard wrote: »
    With a bit of luck :P

Hard to find definitive information, but I did read that these are being marketed as 'gamer versions' and there were people talking up the possibilities of upgrading to 120hz at some stage.

I don't know much about it all, but even at the stock rate it should be just as beautiful and as big an upgrade for me.

Once it arrives I'll have to find out how I can overclock to 120... but I'll worry about that when it's sat on my desk.

Only thing about the Tempered Glass model is that it can have dust trapped behind the Glass. Also the reason that it may be marketed as gamer versions is because the Tempered Glass models are popular in Gaming cafés in Korea where it provides extra protection for the screen and they don't care about a little dust.

God Father wrote: »
    Only thing about the Tempered Glass model is that it can have dust trapped behind the Glass. Also the reason that it may be marketed as gamer versions is because the Tempered Glass models are popular in Gaming cafés in Korea where it provides extra protection for the screen and they don't care about a little dust.

Also, if there are sleeping pixels, you can't fix them by rubbing the screen, as there's glass over it.
    They look good though. Mine was tempered.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭seklly

My screen arrived today from Korea, ordered this day last week so quite fast. Looks great, perfect condition, no dead/stuck pixels either. There were enough 'fragile' stickers on the box anyway!

Also got a few bandanas thrown in as well!!

So all in all it came to €290.19 delivered, which is a great price. There's no other messages from customs in/on the box so does this mean I don't have to pay any duty?

seklly wrote: »
    My screen arrived today from Korea, ordered this day last week so quite fast. Looks great, perfect condition, no dead/stuck pixels either. There were enough 'fragile' stickers on the box anyway!

Also got a few bandanas thrown in as well!!

So all in all it came to €290.19 delivered, which is a great price. There's no other messages from customs in/on the box so does this mean I don't have to pay any duty?

Delivered by?

Delivered by?

It was the seller 'AccessoriesWhole-UK' bought on the marketplace on amazon uk: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008FUB3BM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?tag=fczbkkcom-21

and delivered by Fedex

There will likely be an invoice in the post :(

There will likely be an invoice in the post :(

OK it's good to know so I don't get a shock!

Would a display of this resolution also work on my laptop does anyone know? It's a Lenovo G560 with an i3 M350M with NVIDEA GeForce 310M, it would be nice to have the option of connecting the laptop as well...

What monitor is it? Does the laptop have DVI Dual link (unlikely)

• Advertisement

What monitor is it? Does the laptop have DVI Dual link (unlikely)

No, just VGA and HDMI so no dual link output. I guess to get it to work you'd need a HDMI (single link) to DVI-D (dual link) active converter if such a thing exists!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Guys where is the best place to grab myself one of these monitors?

Greensum was my guy - very efficient imo

Green-sum tells me prices are going up in the next batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Finally pulled the trigger on this today... now for the waiting game and seeing what the customs charges will be...

J-blk wrote: »
    Finally pulled the trigger on this today... now for the waiting game and seeing what the customs charges will be...

Around €50 probably

Around €50 probably

Yeah, I've seen most people mention €55 or so - will be perfectly happy with that amount, just hoping I'm not as unlucky as /\/ollog...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

chancing my arm here, but has anyone got one of these to work with their raspberryPi?

what adapter do I buy for HDMI to DL-DVI?

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    chancing my arm here, but has anyone got one of these to work with their raspberryPi?

what adapter do I buy for HDMI to DL-DVI?

I don't know if a suitable adapter exists. I was looking into it recently and something like this would be needed I think:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-DisplayPort-Active-Converter-Powered/dp/B003AR5S5M

but obviously HDMI to DVI-D Dual Link and not DisplayPort

• Advertisement

For those of you who used dream seller, how long did they take to ship? Ordered this early Friday morning and paid for it immediately with Paypal - no feedback at all since then... their page says 12-36 hours handling to get it shipped so getting a bit annoyed at this stage TBH... Sent them an email earlier, but still nothing...

Advertisement