Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The xbox 360 is 7 years old

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Nikky_Bellic

Me buying an xbox was a weird thing ....

I remember trying a few places on launch day and being told all were soldout. So I goto smyths toys blanchardstown and asked ... same thing sold out.

About 2 days later I notice an xbox 360 console box on the top shelf behind the games counter, again in Smyths Toys Blanchardstown. Went up to the person working on the till "erm... is that an xbox 360 for sale?" ... - "actually, yeah.. yeah it is!" unbeknowingly they had one left to them ( :confused: ) and managed to get one :D

What chance. I was just asking thinking it was a display box. Weird. Sadly the xbox 360 died in 2010 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I got my xbox when I worked in hmv, launch day, I had preordered one myself a few weeks after we started taking orders, we had over 100 preorders and only got 15 consoles. I was number 16 on the preorder list. so not only did I have to ring and text 85 people to tell them that we didnt get enough consoles to meet demand, I didnt even have an xbox. UNTIL, I rang customer 15 to tell them it was there, and they told me their kid had changed his mind and wanted a DS instead,so it went to the next person on the list, yus :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Doesn't feel like 7 years. I is getting old...

I'm on my 3rd 360, first one RROD'd 1 year ago, the replacement had to be sent back as it was damaged, and i'm on the third one. On my second PS3 too. First one YLOD'd 3 years ago, but i got a straight swap for another phat 60gig which is still going strong.

I'm in no rush for a new console, simply because i can't afford one. Good to know it'll be next year at the earliest before i've to start all over again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Magill wrote: »
    What edge lol ? Last i saw the PS3 and Xbox360 were almost even in hardware sales !

And PS3 has better games so....

Hope i dont start a console war !!

Mainly only because of Japan though.
    Xbox is beating the PS3 in the States (and is consistenly outselling it month by month)
    PS3 has the lead over Xbox in Europe, but it is close.
    And I dont think I need to explain the situation in Japan.

Your comment about PS3 having better games, I wouldn't be so sure about, better exclusives yes, but it is consistently getting inferior versions of multi-format games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Mine is a noisy old 2005 original:) My friend bought it when it first came out and I bought it off him a year later. It suffered the red ring of death last year but the Xbox repair centre in Celbridge repaired it for me. It's working perfect ever since:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Nikky_Bellic

krudler wrote: »
    I got my xbox when I worked in hmv, launch day, I had preordered one myself a few weeks after we started taking orders, we had over 100 preorders and only got 15 consoles. I was number 16 on the preorder list. so not only did I have to ring and text 85 people to tell them that we didnt get enough consoles to meet demand, I didnt even have an xbox. UNTIL, I rang customer 15 to tell them it was there, and they told me their kid had changed his mind and wanted a DS instead,so it went to the next person on the list, yus :D

Being honest,
    I would of just said customer 15 didnt want an xbox (if they did want it that is) thus getting yours :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Im on my third at this point, Still love as if it was my child :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

On my second, but the first one moved house. Bought 6 years ago.

A great wee machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Meesared wrote: »
    Mainly only because of Japan though.
    Xbox is beating the PS3 in the States (and is consistenly outselling it month by month)
    PS3 has the lead over Xbox in Europe, but it is close.
    And I dont think I need to explain the situation in Japan.

Your comment about PS3 having better games, I wouldn't be so sure about, better exclusives yes, but it is consistently getting inferior versions of multi-format games.

There's no reason to discount Japanese sales though.

I used to laugh at my friends with their XBox 360s dying all the time. THere was a period, probably 2008/09 when literally at least once a month I'd see on Facebook that someone's 360 was dying on them. How I laughed. Then my PS3 got the YLOD. At least Microsoft's response to the situation was a lot stronger than Sony's.

It's a shame that there will likely be very few of this generation of machines which survive another ten years or so. They're just not built to last.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,357 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Beefy78 wrote: »

It's a shame that there will likely be very few of this generation of machines which survive another ten years or so. They're just not built to last.

Well, to be fair to technology in general, very few of any type of high end (at the time) technology will last simply because it is high end technology.
    The productions methods, the material and the use of these devices, as well as the actual workings of them mean that there will be a finite lifespan on the majority of them.

• Advertisement

Which, as I said, is a shame. I can power up my Atari 2600 for a game of Centipede whenever I want to. My PS2 is still limping along at the age of 12. It's a shame that this won't be the case in the future.

Which, as I said, is a shame. I can power up my Atari 2600 for a game of Centipede whenever I want to. My PS2 is still limping along at the age of 12. It's a shame that this won't be the case in the future.

The point I am making is the older technology was far simpler, didn't generate as much heat and at the time was built more expensively than anything today. Indeed the components were completely different.

If you want the newer technology at a cheap price you have to accept that it's lifespan will be compromised.

It's not that they are "not built to last" so much, just that the technology inside them has a lifespan.

I know the point you're making, which is why I'm saying that it's a shame and why I'm not attaching blame to either Microsoft or (to a lesser extent) Sony for it.

I know the point you're making, which is why I'm saying that it's a shame and why I'm not attaching blame to either Microsoft or (to a lesser extent) Sony for it.

"It's a shame" is just the price of progress......

It's not progress. It's the price for cheap materials. We demand these things at overly cheap prices and so corners are cut. Personally I'd rather pay a lot more for something that works and will keep working. It's a false economy otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

It's not progress. It's the price for cheap materials. We demand these things at overly cheap prices and so corners are cut. Personally I'd rather pay a lot more for something that works and will keep working. It's a false economy otherwise.
    Its not cheap materials necessarily, its a combination of a limitation of modern CPU design (producing lots of heat) and more moving parts.

Advertisement