Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Mobile

• 25-11-2011 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Hi,

Quick question - Can I use my Tesco Mobile sim with an unlocked usb mobile broadband dongle?

Tethering is killing my phone battery and it would be useful to use the dongle for a couple of hours at a time..

Thanks,
    km

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Tesco Mobile: Paul

km991148 wrote: »
    Hi,

Quick question - Can I use my Tesco Mobile sim with an unlocked usb mobile broadband dongle?

Tethering is killing my phone battery and it would be useful to use the dongle for a couple of hours at a time..

Thanks,
    km

Yes you can, APN is tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com

I usually have my phone on USB charge if tethering.

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Hey thanks,

yeah.. even with charging I find it dies soon after - plus I use it on long commutes..

Also - I have a tesco mobile sim I was going to use - can I then xfer from vodafone with that same number:

i.e. top up new tesco SIM with number XXXX
    use tesco Sim with dongle + Voda in phone until voda free calls run out (< 2 weekd)
    Port my Voda number YYYY to tesco, using sim card with number XXXX

At this stage I will probably go back to tethering..

km991148 wrote: »
    Hey thanks,

yeah.. even with charging I find it dies soon after - plus I use it on long commutes..

Also - I have a tesco mobile sim I was going to use - can I then xfer from vodafone with that same number:

i.e. top up new tesco SIM with number XXXX
    use tesco Sim with dongle + Voda in phone until voda free calls run out (< 2 weekd)
    Port my Voda number YYYY to tesco, using sim card with number XXXX

At this stage I will probably go back to tethering..

Yes, you can do that (use the Tesco Number until ready to port onto the same SIM)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Amouar

Hi Paul,

Can I use the extra credit that we get if we top up by more than 10 EUR in buying a data bundle?

Thanks

Amouar wrote: »
    Hi Paul,

Can I use the extra credit that we get if we top up by more than 10 EUR in buying a data bundle?

Thanks

Yes of course any credit you have left after buying a data bundle including bonus credit can be used for calls, texts and data as normal.

• Advertisement

Actually the customer care service on the phone told me that it's not possible to buy a data bundle with extra bonus we get if we top up by 10 EUR or more. Same for international call.

Can you confirm please?

Actually the customer care service on the phone told me that it's not possible to buy a data bundle with extra bonus we get if we top up by 10 EUR or more. Same for international call.

Can you confirm please?

Yes, not possible to buy a bundle with bonus credit but the credit can be used for outside bundle data (79c per MB) or for domestic calls.

Thanks for the info!

One last question: What's the maximum allowed size of an MMS on tesco mobile?

Thanks

Thanks for the info!

One last question: What's the maximum allowed size of an MMS on tesco mobile?

Thanks

Its 300K

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭GIMP

Hi Paul with regards to mms have 3 Ireland an agreement to allow messages through to Tesco, I cannot get any mms to send to Tesco customers. I know they were the last operator to sign up to mms earlier this year when Tesco mobile enabled mms?

• Advertisement

GIMP wrote: »
    Hi Paul with regards to mms have 3 Ireland an agreement to allow messages through to Tesco, I cannot get any mms to send to Tesco customers. I know they were the last operator to sign up to mms earlier this year when Tesco mobile enabled mms?

Yes, this was opened up last Jan/Feb timeframe. Will look into this..

Hi Paul any update on this, Tesco number still not receiving mms from 3 network. Receiving from all other networks no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭basillarkin

I just switched over to PAYG tesco yesterday, I bought 10e credit and I recieved 10e bonus yesterday evening. I checked my balance there by pressing *100# and its says my balance is 0.20c and my bonus credit is 0.01c. What gives?

I made only one phonecall that lasted 5mins, got through to a mates voicemail 3 times and I didnt leave a voicemail, I sent no texts nor was I on the net.

Hope someone can help

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

I just switched over to PAYG tesco yesterday, I bought 10e credit and I recieved 10e bonus yesterday evening. I checked my balance there by pressing *100# and its says my balance is 0.20c and my bonus credit is 0.01c. What gives?

I made only one phonecall that lasted 5mins, got through to a mates voicemail 3 times and I didnt leave a voicemail, I sent no texts nor was I on the net.

Hope someone can help

I just called up to complete the switch over process and the Rep told me that there was currently issues with adding the bonus credit. Hopefully Paul can give a better answer but I am sure it will get resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Hope someone can help
    Is it something to do with the R beside the signal bar, but i thought i had roaming switched off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Is it something to do with the R beside the signal bar, but i thought i had roaming switched off.

Dont mind the ''R'' thats normal on the Tesco network since the are on the o2 network the R means your roaming on o2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mik1980

Does any know if the Naas tesco is the only shop I can sign up for the bill pay ? Im not in kildare and Naas is a bit of a trek for me

Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Mik1980 wrote: »
    Does any know if the Naas tesco is the only shop I can sign up for the bill pay ? Im not in kildare and Naas is a bit of a trek for me

Michael
    you have to sign up online, below is a link to sim only plans you might be interested in.

http://shop.tescomobile.ie/SIM-only-plans.aspx

Michael

Hi Michael

We now have representatives in 29 Tesco stores around the country that can sign you up for Pay Monthly in store. If yo are looking for a SIM Only plan they can activate you there and then and port you over.

Where are you based?

regards
    Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mik1980

Hi Paul

Im in waterford but in college in dublin , if you could let me know where i can do it in both

Michael

• Advertisement

Hi Paul

Im in waterford but in college in dublin , if you could let me know where i can do it in both

Michael

Hi Michael

From Thursday to Sunday, there are Tesco Mobile Pay Monthly representatives in Tesco Stores in

Waterford:
    Ardkeen

Dublin:
    Balbriggan Extra
    Artane
    Clarehall Extra
    Santry
    Cabra
    Clearwater Extra (Finglas)
    Tallaght

These guys can get you activated and ported over on SIM Only there and then.

Just for info the full list is

Dublin:
    Balbriggan Extra
    Artane
    Clarehall Extra
    Santry
    Cabra
    Clearwater Extra (Finglas)
    Tallaght

Laois:
    Portlaoise

Waterford:
    Ardkeen Extra

Wicklow:
    Arklow Extra

Limerick:
    Coonagh

Cork:
    Douglas
    Mahon Point Extra

Louth:
    Drogheda
    Dundalk

Offaly:
    Edenderry Extra
    Tullamore Extra

Wexford:
    New Ross
    Wexford Extra

Tipperary:
    Nenagh
    Clonmel
    Roscrea

Kildare:
    Naas Extra (Phone Shop)
    Newbridge
    Maynooth
    Kildare Town

Galway:
    Ballinasloe
    Galway City

Mayo:
    Claremorris

Kerry:
    Killarney Park Extra

regards Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭billbond4

Any idea on when/if ye might be getting iphones?
    BTW nice to see the SE Xperia Arc S for sale

billbond4 wrote: »
    Any idea on when/if ye might be getting iphones?
    BTW nice to see the SE Xperia Arc S for sale

No news yet on iPhone I am afraid.

Hi Paul
    I am unable to get onto My Tesco page from my phone via Tesco 3g to check my usage. No problem getting onto it with wifI or another network provider. What's the issue here?

Hi Gimp

Will look into this on Monday

Regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

Hi Paul,
    Do you think any of the capped or pay monthly bills will be revised with new data limits this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭tooth*grinder

breathn wrote: »
    Hi Paul,
    Do you think any of the capped or pay monthly bills will be revised with new data limits this year?

would also love to see them changed, or at least updated. There must be room between 2GB cap and 15GB....

We will look at this in the new year.

Regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭tooth*grinder

Hey Paul would the data plan structure refresh be around the same time as the speed bump?
    I'd like to join tesco mobile but speed issue and the data plans being too little or too large are holding me back

• Advertisement

Hey Paul would the data plan structure refresh be around the same time as the speed bump?
    I'd like to join tesco mobile but speed issue and the data plans being too little or too large are holding me back

Hi there

Nothing concrete for plan changes and the network upgrades are mid year.

regards
    Paul

Advertisement