Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drainage idea for Garden Shed gutter water

Options
  • 26-05-2014 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a pretty big shed at the end of my back garden (40sqm). Currently the downpipe from the gutter just rests on a cavity block so the water literally runs out into the soil. The previous owner seemed happy with this but i'd rather sort it out properly as it's causing obvious damp stains to climb the wall and i'd like to paint it but don't want to paint it until i fix the drainage.

What options do I have here?

thanks
    Jon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Why not rig up a water butt,or given the size of the shed, a bigger water tank so that you can water your garden/wash your car for free when the water charges are introduced .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Sorry should have said water butt is planned but I'm thinking I'll need a solution anyway. Not sure how long it would take to fill a 210l butt? I was thinking of digging a trough along the width of the shed and creating a gravel path (fill it with rocks, sand and gravel)... good idea for the drainage?

Another concern (separate discussion) is that the roof might contain asbestos so not sure if it would be an issue collecting the water to water the grass and flowers?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭dhog4n

The asbestos will not be an issue unless the roof panels are damaged and the fibres can escape. Even then, it is only a problem when dry asbsetos fibres get into the air and can breathed in.

It sounds like you need a soakaway or a gravel drain, depending on the slope and size of your garden area. Google will bring up loads of results and diagrams if you do a search. A gravel path is an option to top it off but will not offer much drainage on it's own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

Best option would be to put in a proper gully trap and pipe it to a soakaway in 4" PVC drain, put in a water butt with diverter (when butt is full rainwater diverts to the drain). Soakaway need only be a hole 5 or 6 feet deep, lined with geotextile membrane and filled with clean broken stone filling, cap off with geotextile and concrete paving slabs. The geotextile will help prevent the soakaway from filling up with silt and clay washed through in heavy rain. It's a bad idea to allow a downpipe to discharge water directly into the ground as it does now- overtime it can undermine the foundations.

Advertisement