Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

O2 money card (prepay credit card)

• 21-02-2011 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭

This prepay credit card from o2 looks interesting.
    The main attraction for me is the high limits with it.
    2500 (iirc) for starters, higher if you submit documents.
    Even though i use a normal credit card i'll still probably consider this (because of nagging security concerns :rolleyes:).

Edit: link

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Carne

Looks like a good alternative to 3v, I wonder if there's any hidden fees or charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Open an account with ulsterbank, get a visa debit card. The O2 money card has ATM fees, loading fees, and I think transaction fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

Tarrifs
    Ts & Cs

I'll probably get one, seems good enough, even though I have a 3v card. At least you can use it as a physical card in shops or w/e, and you dont have that pesky 3month window of use before they expire.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

blubloblu wrote: »
    Open an account with ulsterbank, get a visa debit card. The O2 money card has ATM fees, loading fees, and I think transaction fees.

Yeah, there are a few fees with it.
    I was mainly interested in the limits.

But now i see that Visa debit card- that's interesting as well.
    Might get one of those instead if AIB introduce them.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Carne

By far an aib visa debit card would be the best option but they've no plans to introduce one yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jazzkamiden

Does anyone know what age you have to be to get one? Please don't tell me it's 18+ :(

EDIT: Yeah it's 18+ That kinda sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Well you don't need ID to get one do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Well you don't need ID to get one do you?

No unless you want to put over 2500 on the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

I work for o2 - We ask for id to confirm age (within reason of course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Aug2009

I thought this sounded great until I read the costs. 4.99 to buy it. €1 to take money out of ATMs. :eek:

I got a card that does everything I need and i dont have to pay anything like the charges O2 have on their card. (Mine is from credit union in Bishopstown.

I like the 02 advert though - it is cool with the magician idea.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joeybloggs

I apologise, this might be a stupid question?
    I presume you have to be with O2 to avail of this?
    Also is there additional charges with transactions overseas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

If anyone's thinking of this, I seriously repeat my recommendation of opening a bank account with Ulster Bank. It won't cost you anything, it's just a bit more hassle to put money into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

joeybloggs wrote: »
    I apologise, this might be a stupid question?
    I presume you have to be with O2 to avail of this?
    Also is there additional charges with transactions overseas?

No and Only in foreign currencies at 2.75%.

Its better than allot of things out there and suits me fine as I won't be using it as an atm card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Aug2009

McLoughlin wrote: »
    No and Only in foreign currencies at 2.75%.

Its better than allot of things out there and suits me fine as I won't be using it as an atm card.

As long as you dont use it abroad or using foreign currencies or in ATMs it isnt too bad i guess. They do charge you to top-up though.

Nobody has yet beaten my card (Bishopstown Credit Union) €1 a year and no other charges. You can use it abroad, in ATMs - everywhere really - without charges. Some ATMs charge but it is written on the ATM so just avoid those and go to ones without the charge. Of course if you use a different card abroad you will be charged regardless.

The challenge is out there for everyone - Can anyone beat the Bishopstown credit union card? I have done my homework and I cannot find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I've just been reading the FAQs on the O2 site.

Seems like it might be a great compromise between the pain-in-the-ass 3V cards, and a "full" credit card.

I'm sold to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

If anyone's thinking of this, I seriously repeat my recommendation of opening a bank account with Ulster Bank. It won't cost you anything, it's just a bit more hassle to put money into it.
    It costs nothing to open an account with Ulster Bank? Nada? Zilch? There must be SOME hidden charge somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

Is there am age you must be to buy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

It costs nothing to open an account with Ulster Bank? Nada? Zilch? There must be SOME hidden charge somewhere?

Only charge is some yearly government handling fee thats on all(i think) bank-issued debit or credit cards, i paid €13 i think.

condra wrote: »
    I've just been reading the FAQs on the O2 site.

Seems like it might be a great compromise between the pain-in-the-ass 3V cards, and a "full" credit card.

I'm sold to be honest.
    These aren't far removed from the 3V -pay-in-the-ass-cards
    http://www.o2online.ie/o2/uploads/pdfs/o2-money/O2-Money-Tarriffs.pdf
    It's a bit cheaper than 3V to "top up"/buy vouchers.

They have a nasty little hidden fee:

Inactivity Fee

There is a €1.50 fee per
    month if the balance on
    your card is not zero and
    does not change for more
    than 15 months.
    The fee is applied every
    month until the balance is
    reduced to zero or until you
    use the card.

These aren't far removed from the 3V -pay-in-the-ass-cards
    It's a bit cheaper than 3V to "top up"/buy vouchers.

They have a nasty little hidden fee:

It's ten times better than 3v in my opinion.
    With 3v:
    You usually need to know in advance how much you are going to spend.
    You get a different credit card number every time.
    Your cvv code is sent as a text message to your phone.

With O2 you have one card, one number, one balance. No text messages, no faffing about.

As far as the "nasty little hidden fee" goes, that applies if you leave your card dormant for 15 months, which is fair enough as far as I'm concerned.

The top-up fees are very reasonable. For 3 euro, I can top up by 350 euro. Any product online for that sort of money is likely going to save me a packet compared to buying it in a "brick-and-mortar" shop.

I've always thought it would be great to have a prepay visa card that can be topped up like a phone. So far, I like everything about the O2MC. They've taken the 3V concept, and made it user friendly.

• Advertisement

Darragh12 wrote: »
    Is there am age you must be to buy it?

18+

With 3v:

With O2 you have one card, one number, one balance. No text messages, no faffing about.

As far as the "nasty little hidden fee" goes, that applies if you leave your card dormant for 15 months, which is fair enough as far as I'm concerned.

The top-up fees are very reasonable. For 3 euro, I can top up by 350 euro. Any product online for that sort of money is likely going to save me a packet compared to buying it in a "brick-and-mortar" shop.

I've always thought it would be great to have a prepay visa card that can be topped up like a phone. So far, I like everything about the O2MC. They've taken the 3V concept, and made it user friendly.

Yeah having the one card, one number is certainly an upgrade from the 3Vs. Taking the concept further is a good way of putting it I suppose.

I might try one out after I see a few more reports from people.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,226 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Been using it for a month now, and is far cheaper than anything else. Haven't used 3V in a long time since you were basically giving them money everytime you bought a top up - how many times do you buy something that comes to 30 or 40 or 50 euro.
    Payzone Money credit card (which no-one has mentioned) is 3.50 minimum top up fee and then they charge you a purchase fee on everything you use it for.

O2 Money - €1 to 2.99 top up, think €1 would cover most people, and no commission charges except for foreign currency which works out about 50c per €20.

Only reason I'm keeping the payzone cc is that you Ryanair dont charge credit card fees for using it so 3.50 top up charge saves you €20 (for the moment)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Cian1991ferrari

I got one of these yesterday and I'm extremely unhappy with it! :mad:

- Won't work on TypeKit where I tried to buy a subscription.
    - Declined my transaction after accepting the card when I attempted to buy a book from Wiley publishing.
    - Can't link it to PayPal.
    - Can't seem to link it to my Apple account.

I've literally tried only these 4 things and none worked for me!

My card is on Paypal so there is no problem there.
    Make sure you're selecting Visa Debit and not just Visa

fritzelly wrote: »
    My card is on Paypal so there is no problem there.
    Make sure you're selecting Visa Debit and not just Visa

Thanks man! Turns out I was entering a wrong setting! My bad! :o

Did you get charged €1 to add it to anything though? I added to PayPal - Charged €1 and that wasn't part of the €1.50 activation key. Then another €1 for correctly adding to my Apple account. :eek:

A lot of sites do that, they authorize (not charge) €1 euro against the card to make sure its real and working, but you get it back 4/5 days later.

fritzelly wrote: »
    A lot of sites do that, they authorize (not charge) €1 euro against the card to make sure its real and working, but you get it back 4/5 days later.

Ah grand so! Thanks for reminding me :D Happier about it now than before. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Nice thread, was just coming on boards to ask about the new O2 Money card...
    With 3v:

Nice list of pros and cons, thank you!

It's nice to have one CC number and CVV, updating all the sites with new info everytime is a pain in the ass!

Does 3V have any advantage over O2?

EDIT: BTW, why do you have to know in advance how much you're going to spend, with 3V cards? Sorry if it's a stupid question but I don't have a 3V card, my guess is cause the Credit Card number expires after a period and money is lost?

Thanks blub, I'll decide between O2 Money and Ulster Bank.
    Ah grand so! Thanks for reminding me :D Happier about it now than before. :D

So does it work with iTunes?

Also what about billing address? When you order something online some sites(and iTunes) ask for a billing address, as far as I know neither 3V nor O2 offer one, so what do you write in there? Does the payment still work?

• Advertisement

CyberGhost wrote: »
    So does it work with iTunes?

Also what about billing address? When you order something online some sites(and iTunes) ask for a billing address, as far as I know neither 3V nor O2 offer one, so what do you write in there? Does the payment still work?

Yep, I have now successfully linked to my iTunes! Haven't downloaded anything but free App updates but seems to work fine.

As for address, they take your address when ya buy it so it comes up when you register the card online. Maybe thats what they use. :D

Advertisement