Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2002 1.8 petrol accord timing belt change

• 07-04-2008 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

i rang a few dublin honda dealers today to get a quote for a timing belt change on my Accord. i got quote from €500 to €750 with the €750 garage saying that was for the belt with another €300 for the standard service on top of that.

I didn't think that it would be as costly as the above.

Does anyone familiar with the 98-02 accord petrol engines know if it's a particularly awkward job? i've heard some cars (passat) require most of the front end being removed to get at the belts. is this true of the Accord?

Also, do the tensioners, water pumps, pulleys require replacing during this job or do they just need to be inspected.

I am thinking of buying the parts kit from a dealer or motor factors and taking it to an independent. Can i just go into a honda parts department at a main dealer and pick up the parts or do they need to be ordered in advance?

Do i need to specify what i need or can i just request a timing belt change kit?

Also can anyone recommend an independent on the northside to do the job and a ballpark figure of what an independent would charge for this car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

€500 - €750 for a T/B sounds expensive to me. Not that they are the same car, but I'd the belt replace on a Civic last year and it was broken down as €100 labour and €80 parts, with VAT it came to about €200 odd. (done in Tom Canavan's)

An extra €300-€550 for an Accord seems a bit much. This would be a "standard" Honda job (i.e. Honda themselves would tell you how long it would take). Did you try a dealer down the country? Sometime Dublin dealer just price it out of the range as they are not interested in the "bigger" jobs.

Advertisement