Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

trouble selling my motor, opinions?

• 02-04-2008 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭

check out my sig, what do you think?

having real trouble getting rid of her, she's a great car, I just can't seem to sell her.

i think initially I was pricing it too high, but now it's pretty much at the bottom of the market for the year/mileage and i'm running out of ideas.

what do you guys think, is it still priced too high?

any suggestions?

tbh i'd love to keep it, it's a great car but i just got a pajero and i can't afford to keep (or have any need for) more than one car. i got the pajero thinking it would only take a couple of weeks max to get rid of the primera and now it looks like i'm stuck with it. :(

i was thinking of putting it in an auction, (think ther'es one in naas) but i'm afraid i might only get half of it's value. yeah, i know it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, but it's a good car with plenty of legs left in it.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

2.2 engine size will be an issue for some. Price is ok.

Maybe ideal for a taxi?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Way too expensive. I bought a TD '98 primera with similar mileage, good nick, back in 2004 for less than €2,800. Your car is the same age now, as that one was back then. There's no possible way it could be worth more than twice the price. I know yours is a newer model but the newer model never sold nearly as well as the previous generations.
    On top of that theres a mental block amongst people about cars bigger than 2l.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

I agree ... too expensive. Massive glut of s/h cars on the market at the moment and more coming post July with the VRT changes.

You'll have to reduce the price to make her stand out imho ...

• Registered Users Posts: 64,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I agree with Henry that it would be a good taxi. Try sell it where they might spot it (forums, etc.). Also try www.adverts.ie and any other free / cheap site where you can attach pictures

I do believe it is priced a bit too high. There are a couple of similar cars from dealers (so presumably with some warranty) advertised at under €5k. I'm not saying they are equal or even better cars than yours, but they do look cheaper

And the Irish have a notorious fear for anything over 100k miles...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,096 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Issues I see here:

a. 2.2 litre - in most people's eyes it's expensive to tax.

b. 100k+ miles on the clock - again will put alot of people off despite it being diesel, anyone interested will generally be looking for a cheap bargin.

c. Nissan Primera - that model was never a huge seller for Nissan and suffered from huge depreciation. 2.2 diesel sold in even smaller numbers and after about 2004 it was pulled from the Irish market.

d. Price - if you want to shift it quickly then your going to have to adjust the price depending how fast you want to get rid of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

thanks for the advice guys.

Price wise I was going by what was in the other adverts online, but I've checked again and a lot of the same cars are stil there that were there when I started looking to sell mine originally.

some of those have gone down in price, but others haven't.

I paid 9k for it less than 2 years ago, and it's been a great car, it's very reliable, exceptionally economical and goes like stink but I just don't have any use for it any more. It's a real shame, if I could afford to keep runnning it I would but I just don't have the need for a second car and it's too expensive to have as a run around.

It would make a great taxi, it's got plenty of life left in it too, that's for sure. I don't think people realise how many miles you can get out of a big diesel engine, they more than pay for themselves over time. It's just a shame that the government has it in for anything with a decent sized engine in it. :(

anyway, thanks for the help. I've got it down to 5,250e now, I'll just have to see how it goes and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I just wanted to say thanks for the advice guys, I just sold the car today for 5000 cash.

Just goes to show that if you want something to sell you really have to price it keenly.

I'm already starting to miss it tho, she was a great motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,096 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I know the price is not what you had expected but if you need to move it on quickly then the price you got is still better than the car sitting in your drive gathering dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

a friend tried to trade in a 00 corolla with 150,00, on the clock, against a 06 yaris was offered, 400 lids because of the milage

Advertisement