Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

CIP4 wrote: »
    Is there no tachometer or coolant temperature gauge. The lack of both would annoy me I though the puntos had them but then I've never been in one so could well be wrong. Whatever about the tachometer the lack of coolant temp gauge I think is stupid and it's missing from a few yokes caddys and Astra H's are the two that popped to my mind. My Astra didn't have one and I was never mad about the idea they are supposed to have a high temperature warning light but I'm not sure if you could depend on that. My megane has a stupid digital gauge which isn't precise enough display wise for my liking better than nothing I suppose.

The light will come on when the coolant drops but before there is any chance of damage been done. In a way the light is a good thing. You're average motorist is more likely to notice a light coming on in the dash before they notice a rise in the temperature gauge. A combo of both would be the best way tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

GvidoR wrote: »
    Punto Sporting (1.2 16V) cluster has a both, a tacho and a temp gauge. Tacho is not that important but the temp gauge would've been nice, but as long as you keep an eye on the coolant it should be okay.

Some of the 8 valves do too spec depending. More common in the 5 door though. Only seen one 3 door with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Today I put the car on done deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

rizzee wrote: »
    Today I put the car on done deal!

Found it. What do I win? :P

https://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-fiat-grande-punto-sport-1-3-diesel-1-owner/10513030

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Some of the 8 valves do too spec depending. More common in the 5 door though. Only seen one 3 door with them.

Yeah, ELX 8 valve models get the tacho

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭5W30

Old lad's XC90 had a bit of steering wheel play. I Googled around and people were saying that on this model the steering wheel gets loose over time.

Took the airbag out, torqued the nut which was a bit loose, still play in the steering. Turns out it was the nuts on the joint connecting the steering column to the steering rack. Tightened the nuts and the play is gone!

Cheap fix and feels a lot better to drive now!

Then went on to fix the vibrations from the passenger side window. The rivets were loose for the regulator but I wasn't up to drilling them out and replacing with a bolt and nut yet so I gave them a bit of a hammering and it stopped. Put the door card back on, locked the car, unlocked the car and after unlocking the door locked itself. I'm like WTF?!

Queue taking the door card off 50 times, I noticed the lock works with the door card off. I thought I pinched a wire somewhere or something. After more screwing around I realised I had bent the lock/unlock rod whilst pulling the door card off and it was getting stuck with the door card on so it would lock itself because it couldn't travel up the whole way.

Again, cheap fix, bent it back and it was grand.

So I'm packing up the tools and then I notice the registration plate bulb is out which I changed last week........ Took it out, burned out and it melted the plastic enclosure a bit. Cleaned the contacts a bit and put in a new one, hopefully it stays working :pac:

Time to stop now, you've had a good run of it!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Time to stop now, you've had a good run of it!

Yeah, I was rushing to pack up before something else goes wrong :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I went to change my inner tie bar today, but there are no flat spots or anywhere for the tool to fit onto. Good thing I got a tie rod end as I had to cut the one on it due to it being rusted on. The tie rod itself appeared in good shape so I'll just get it aligned now and see if there's any improvement in the steering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Hal1 wrote: »
    I went to change my inner tie bar today, but there are no flat spots or anywhere for the tool to fit onto. Good thing I got a tie rod end as I had to cut the one on it due to it being rusted on. The tie rod itself appeared in good shape so I'll just get it aligned now and see if there's any improvement in the steering.

Is there enough access to get a small stilson onto the inner?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

http://m.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/rohrzange-1-/260408052-84-1329

That got it loose for me. Enormously useful thing to have when you need a bit of brute force and ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Interslice wrote: »
    Is there enough access to get a small stilson onto the inner?

Well when I had the boot cover off I checked for play and there was none. A nice smearing of grease on her too. The tie rod end had some black grease around the gater on it so was probably split but have since changed it. I will get it aligned and bring for test drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

5W30 wrote: »
    [...] I notice the registration plate bulb is out which I changed last week........ Took it out, burned out and it melted the plastic enclosure a bit. Cleaned the contacts a bit and put in a new one, hopefully it stays working :pac:

LED bulb is the one you need. :)

joujoujou wrote: »
    LED bulb is the one you need. :)

I'd get them but months ago I bought like 30 W5W bulbs as spares to leave in the glovebox and I still haven't ran out of them! :pac:

XC90 door card came off again today because I forgot to connect the metal cable for the door handle inside :o

I have no idea how all the door card clips are still in good condition :pac:

Drilled out the rivets for the rear door speaker in the Focus, went into Halfords thinking I'll get myself a replacement speaker. Then the thoughts of having to make an adapter, cut the wiring etc. etc. made me think "fcuk this, I'll just get an OEM speaker".

Walked out with a rivet gun and some rivets, just for that OEM look under the door card :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

The joy or running new wires in the door cards for active tweeters and more...

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg
    6.jpg
    7.jpg

Yes, door cards are fun... not :D

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Today I passed my overdue NCT. Emission faking software worked a charm. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Today I passed my overdue NCT. Emission faking software worked a charm. :pac:

Don't talk to me about overdue NCTs. No faking it here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057318065

:D

jimgoose wrote: »
    Don't talk to me about overdue NCTs. No faking it here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057318065

As the long suffering grease monkey looking after an MX5 that decided to let half it's horses out of the stable and is REFUSING to put them back or tell me where in the name of Zeus's BUTTHOLE they've gone to, I can fully sympathise.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

As the long suffering grease monkey looking after an MX5 that decided to let half it's horses out of the stable and is REFUSING to put them back or tell me where in the name of Zeus's BUTTHOLE they've gone to, I can fully sympathise.

Is it more than ten years old? If so, the engine is probably gone.

• Advertisement

jimgoose wrote: »
    Is it more than ten years old? If so, the engine is probably gone.

I checked, it's still in there...

I checked, it's still in there...

How's your starter motor by the way? My starter solenoid likes to be sticky sometimes so when you start the car in the morning there can be a noise before the starter disengages from the engine.

Sounds horrible. I need to take it out and give it a clean. Flywheel might be on its way out :pac:

5W30 wrote: »
    How's your starter motor by the way? My starter solenoid likes to be sticky sometimes so when you start the car in the morning there can be a noise before the starter disengages from the engine.

Sounds horrible. I need to take it out and give it a clean. Flywheel might be on its way out :pac:

Starter motor on what? The MX5 had a "new" one from the breaker's and is as fresh as a daisy, but it's a massive pain in the neck to change.
    The CMax sounded a bit sticky, but that seems to have "fixed" itself, so I'm happy to let sleeping dogs lie...

Starter motor on what? The MX5 had a "new" one from the breaker's and is as fresh as a daisy, but it's a massive pain in the neck to change.
    The CMax sounded a bit sticky, but that seems to have "fixed" itself, so I'm happy to let sleeping dogs lie...

CMax indeed. Mine has a tendency to stick when you stop running the starter. I will probably take out the starter one weekend and give it a nice clean.

Installed an aux wire and hard-wired the mini 0806 dashcam in the Focus today. You can only see the wire running up to the headlining behind the mirror. Dashcam can't be seen because it's behind the rear view mirror.

Wired the power supply for it to accessory so the dashcam fires up every time I turn the key to ACC :) Nice and clean install.

Bought lots of cleaning materials and good seat shampoo to use on the Punto. Spending all Friday on it, have a buyer Saturday. Be sad to see it go!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

rizzee wrote: »
    Bought lots of cleaning materials and good seat shampoo to use on the Punto. Spending all Friday on it, have a buyer Saturday. Be sad to see it go!

Good luck, hopefully it'll be a hassle-free sale. Sad that the forum will lose a Punto.

What are you going to replace it with?

GvidoR wrote: »
    Good luck, hopefully it'll be a hassle-free sale. Sad that the forum will lose a Punto.

What are you going to replace it with?

I'm sure I'll get one again one day :pac: Just fancy a change!

I've a thread up in motors for suggestions, all going to plan I'll have 5-5.5k to play around with. Looking at 3 series and Alfa 159s at the minute but we'll see. No shortage of them around here :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Built a 8.8" screen bezel for BMW e46 in order to retrofit the NBT iDrive from F series and it looks factory.
    That was some work I am telling you
    I wish I had a plastic injection/molding mini factory next to me.

There is a little curve at the bottom and top which I did not notice before the paint, so next one will be perfect. The screen fits perfect with no gap

e46_screen1.jpg

e46_screen2.jpg

e46_final1.jpg

e46_final2.jpg

e46_final3.jpg

e46_final4.jpg

Looks great

• Advertisement

Cleaned up the Punto it's going to a new home tomorrow.

Already have a car held for me, collecting it Saturday ;)

Advertisement