Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway gay/bi informal social group

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭swine

Jaymacc wrote: »
    Well we will set one up so. What kind of activities would people like to see on it?

Honestly, all of the listed activities like hiking, comedy night, gigs etc all sound good to me. I'm not sure what would be best as the first meet up from a 'breaking the ice' point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Jaymacc

swine wrote: »
    Honestly, all of the listed activities like hiking, comedy night, gigs etc all sound good to me. I'm not sure what would be best as the first meet up from a 'breaking the ice' point of view.

Good to hear. Yeah, something informal and fun could be good. How about paintballing, pure-skill, zip wiring . . ?

Good to hear. Yeah, something informal and fun could be good. How about paintballing, pure-skill, zip wiring . . ?

It seems there is an interest in a group being setup so why not. Have you any ideas on what might work for the first meet? Bill Bailey is at the Black Box at the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,734 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Maybe you should arrange for 3 or 4 you to meet face to face over coffee and brainstorm then.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 11 DonDraper

It seems there is an interest in a group being setup so why not. Have you any ideas on what might work for the first meet? Bill Bailey is at the Black Box at the end of the month.

Good idea. The Comedy Carnival is on the October bank holiday as well so there'll be plenty of gigs. It might be a good way to break the ice.

Al Porter would be a very appropriate choice I think!

• Advertisement

Maybe you should arrange for 3 or 4 you to meet face to face over coffee and brainstorm then.

Great idea. Who is interested in a quick brainstorm over coffee in Java's some evening?

Yeah count me in

Great idea. Who is interested in a quick brainstorm over coffee in Java's some evening?

I'd be up for that. I can't say I will have much to offer but would like to help get this off the ground as much as possible.

I'd be up for that. I can't say I will have much to offer but would like to help get this off the ground as much as possible.

Great. Who else wants to help out with brainstorming ideas for meet ups ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Norcop

I can meet up some evening next week. I think a group like this in Galway would be a great way to meet other guys and is much needed. Is there even a gay bar in Galway anymore? It would be great to organise a few nights out in Galway city where members could get to know each other first and discuss what we'd like to get out of the group. We could then decide to go on hiking trips etc together organised by other meetup groups in Galway.

• Advertisement

Norcop wrote: »
    I can meet up some evening next week. I think a group like this in Galway would be a great way to meet other guys and is much needed. Is there even a gay bar in Galway anymore? It would be great to organise a few nights out in Galway city where members could get to know each other first and discuss what we'd like to get out of the group. We could then decide to go on hiking trips etc together organised by other meetup groups in Galway.

Great. We can look at organising an evening next week for a group to meet a discuss ideas. Who else would like to attend?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭danube

Great. We can look at organising an evening next week for a group to meet a discuss ideas. Who else would like to attend?
    I dont know tbh. Some people would feel awkward turning up at a meeting by themselves.

danube wrote: »
    I dont know tbh. Some people would feel awkward turning up at a meeting by themselves.

Yes - but look at the end of the day if people want the group to be a success then they just have to let go of their nervousness and realise everyone else is nervous too.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

Would Friday/weekend suit people or will this be more of a midweek thing? Wouldn't mind calling over next week...
    ....Just what people were saying about turning up to meetings by themselves..I went to my first one in Dublin about a year ago. At the time I wasn't out and tbh the thought of people finding out terrified me. Yes I was nervous and uncomfortable at the thought of going by myself but once I got to know people it was fine (ie sit down with a drink and say hi). It was good fun meeting people and ultimately gave me the confidence to come out to family and friends a few months ago....

Will we try to arrange a meet up some evening next week then? We can PM each other about availability and location

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

Suits me :)

A few of us are now trying to arrange a meet up for some evening this week. If anyone is interested in going but doesn't want to post publicly in the thread, feel free to send me a private message.

After a very enjoyable meeting last night (great to meet you all) 4 of us discussed what we thought the group could do and how it could be run. And as I'm on the computer a lot, I thought I could give the group admin side of things ago.

After having a look meetup groups can require vetting, hide event details from non-members and basically do what we need to offer people a level of privacy should they want it.

The only problem is - it's $3 a month to run a group (which gives you up to 50 members and 4 admins). Obviously it's a small amount of money. I don't mind contributing (certainly after meeting people last night) but as a longer term thing it will be an issue. Thoughts on proceeding with meetup or do we revisit the facebook route (I'm aware some people are less keen on this).

After a very enjoyable meeting last night (great to meet you all) 4 of us discussed what we thought the group could do and how it could be run. And as I'm on the computer a lot, I thought I could give the group admin side of things ago.

After having a look meetup groups can require vetting, hide event details from non-members and basically do what we need to offer people a level of privacy should they want it.

The only problem is - it's $3 a month to run a group (which gives you up to 50 members and 4 admins). Obviously it's a small amount of money. I don't mind contributing (certainly after meeting people last night) but as a longer term thing it will be an issue. Thoughts on proceeding with meetup or do we revisit the facebook route (I'm aware some people are less keen on this).

Longer term you should look at raising money from event attendees to cover the costs.

That could be done in various different ways.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭danube

Longer term you should look at raising money from event attendees to cover the costs.

That could be done in various different ways.
    If you want to increase the members, then charging even a small fee is the wrong way to go about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Norcop

Seeking donations is an option - I've seen this on other pages ( donations of $5 appreciated). I was thinking organisations like Galway Amach might also be willing to contribute to this. I don't think FB is a runner as not every one has an account.

Great work. Looking forward to signing up and attending the events. Well done!

Norcop wrote: »
    Seeking donations is an option - I've seen this on other pages ( donations of $5 appreciated). I was thinking organisations like Galway Amach might also be willing to contribute to this. I don't think FB is a runner as not every one has an account.

Yeah, I think in the long term, donations / sponsorship is something that will keep the account going. I'm sure there are plenty of businesses that would like to be a sponsor and gain some subtle publicity on meetup!

I'd agree with danube that you can't ask people to pay to join a group if you want to get numbers up. A few euro each from the people who are already interested should keep it going for the first few months though. I'd be happy to contribute.

Contacting Amach LGBT in Galway would be a good idea as well as others have said.

So I've setup the makings of the meetup group - http://www.meetup.com/TribesMEN/

I got prompted for a 50% discount this time, so went with the 50 member + option (still less than what was originally priced). While that number seems ambitious now member wise, it would be a shame to have to start booting non-antendees in case #51 might be more of an event goer. I'm presuming SHEnanigans doesn't have 300 active members for example.

Again, very much a work in progress (name can be changed at a later date but went with what was discussed at the brainstorm). In the process of sourcing a background photo. If anyone has any suggestions in general, let me know.

Thanks.

Is it men only?

Personally I'm not sure thats a good idea but I guess its up to the group really.

EDIT:

It's a bit weird if the group is for gay and bi men and couples are welcome - that kind of excludes bi men in a straight relationship. I'm really not trying to start an inclusion/exclusion argument here though.

Terry Pratchet

As Shenanigans caters for gay and bi women, I saw this as a male equivalent? If a bi man in a straight relationship wanted to join, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

What are your suggestions for future events?

Advertisement