Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wicklow in Winter.

• 02-10-2015 3:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

I commute from Sandyford to Glenmalure 3/4 times per week via Roundwood and Laragh. I need a 4wd before winter as the snow can be heavy up there sometimes. I saw an Izuzu jeep with low milage that was under 8k (my budget). I like it because it's a heavy jeep where I think the Santa Fe/Kia etc seem to be a lot lighter. I know nothing bar a Snowmobile would get through Laragh when heavy snow hits. What do you think ? 8k max. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Was it a dmax pickup? Sounds very expensive for a trooper at this stage (jeep shape). I'd prefer something like a landcruiser, pajero, trooper or a defender over any pickup due to better weight distribution.
    Tyre choice is very important too. Got stuck in a shopping car park in UK in a pickup with bad tyres in heavy snow. I seen cars with proper tyres get out, so goes to show tyres are just as important as 4WD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

First of all I would get a set of winter tyres. Then, if a 4WD is needed, something like a Subaru Legacy or Forester would be in my radar, no need for a heavy off-roader unless you are actually going to drive through the fields.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I live up the road from Glenmalure and in 2010, got in and out of there with a fwd car with good winter tyres, no need to get a jeep.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Have a 2.5 2003 Isuzu Crew Cab pick up, forerunner of the DMax, fitted with a Carryboy hard top on the back, and with 245/70 BF Goodrich AT tyres on it, I have yet to find a place where it won't go in the snow, and even though it's a heavy vehicle. it is (still) good for mid to high 30's miles per gallon on "normal" driving around the Meath/East Coast area. The weight of the hard top is significant, and I don't think the rear end would be as stable without it, due to the lower weight.

I got used to snow driving in South West England, where we used to get occasional significant snow on the high Exmoor moorland, with very poor snow clearing services, so being able to get through was important. Here, it's been even more the case that effective snow clearing only happens on the most major N roads, and anything else is below a low priority.

During the 2 recent winters where we had regular and significant snow, I was out and about most days doing deliveries for my daughter, (a florist), and I never had a situation where I was concerned that I might not be able to get to places, even the remote ones on the higher ground north of the airport, which got a lot more snow than some areas due to the "isle of man" shadow effect, which dumped a lot of snow over a very narrow band of land on a regular basis. Yes, I used 4wd a lot those years, but only to make sure that the front end went where I wanted it to, which it did very reliably.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

I'm having a look at the Izuzu today, He wants 4k for it, It's a dmax. Thanks for replies, Will keep you posted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Seweryn wrote: »
    First of all I would get a set of winter tyres. Then, if a 4WD is needed, something like a Subaru Legacy or Forester would be in my radar, no need for a heavy off-roader unless you are actually going to drive through the fields.

Yeah, forester plus winter tyres would be my choice. The models in the OPs budget won't have any electronic driving aids which may not suit everyone. 230hp forester no traction control or stability control, 1.4 hatchbacks with both makes me laugh. The forester would have abs of course and probably EBD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

https://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a3-quattro-170bhp/10427378

One of those with a good second set of wheels with winters tyres, would be as good as any jeep, plus its lower tax and more economical, and a lot faster for those twisty roads ie. fun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭koutoubia

+1 for a Subaru with winter tyres. Maybe heavy on juice but they have a good rep for getting through snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

koutoubia wrote: »
    +1 for a Subaru with winter tyres. Maybe heavy on juice but they have a good rep for getting through snow.
    Yep, I see no point in so called "Jeep". People all over the world drive normal cars through the winter without problems. They just use the right tyres.
    However, if you really want an ultimate winter car, a Subaru is hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

Yeah, forester plus winter tyres would be my choice. The models in the OPs budget won't have any electronic driving aids which may not suit everyone. 230hp forester no traction control or stability control, 1.4 hatchbacks with both makes me laugh. The forester would have abs of course and probably EBD.

My Forester has traction control and it was below the OPs budget. Mine is petrol, so maybe the diesel ones are above 8K. I only have mine a few months, but I'm looking forward to the winter, so that I can really try it out. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

chillin117 wrote: »
    I'm having a look at the Izuzu today, He wants 4k for it, It's a dmax. Thanks for replies, Will keep you posted.

Dmax is a good machine,bit sluggish when accelerating but a good jeep on diesel at around 35mpg plus then about 26mpg towing cattle trailers and other bigger trailers,electric 4wd is as good if not better than the manual with the gearstick in other jeeps.Thier engines got remade in the last of 2007 making them more perky.Ours is 2007 but is in the earlier part of it,we also have a canopy on the back which is useful for what we need it for and gives it a bit more weight.
    Get the tyres aligned when if you get her because they eat through them if not.
    If you put it 4wd drive and can't get it out reverse it back and forward.A lot of people who have them remap theirs to give them more torque and a bit easier on diesel.

Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Did you got to look at her

I am buying the Izuzu. I got it for 3600. He is replacing the clutch as it was due one. There is a bit of meat on the tyres but I will replace them next month. It was not a working jeep and there is 74k km on it. Will post a pic. Thank you all for the solid advice.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I am buying the Izuzu. I got it for 3600. He is replacing the clutch as it was due one. There is a bit of meat on the tyres but I will replace them next month. It was not a working jeep and there is 74k km on it. Will post a pic. Thank you all for the solid advice.

Sounds OK from here, there are only a couple of things to watch out for on them when it comes round to time for the CVRT, the first is the rear spring shackle bushes are notorious for wearing, but cheap enough, (change the bushes and the shackle to make the job easier) and not hard to replace, I've had 2 back silencer boxes break the pipe close to the box, the only thing this affects is the smoke test for the CVRT, and the rear tub wheel arches are a weak spot for corrosion, it's not visible externally, but can be a fail if they have gone far enough.

One gotcha that might be worth mentioning is that if you remove the fuel filter and the body to change the filter,(it's easier than trying to remove the filter in situ) as the hoses age, it's very possible for the original Isuzu quick release clips to not have the strength to ensure an air tight fit, and as the pump is sucking the fuel from the tank, a small air leak will make for hassles, it will start, and run, but when you put your foot down to accelerate, it won't, and will miss like mad. Had it happen twice now, the first time it took some tracking down, the second time, it was simpler to replace the hoses and the clips to ensure that it was good. a cheap non return valve just before the filter body will also make it a lot easier to reprime the thing after the change of filter!

Best of luck with yours, it should be ideal for just about anything that Wicklow weather can throw at it.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

You gave me some great pointers there. Thanks for taking the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Rallyxtom

Any pics. Sounds like you got a good deal.

Advertisement