Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"no Irish " ad in Oz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Love the way there's loads of posts here about the Aussies being 'classy' etc when this advert looks like it was posted by an Irish guy! He's probably been that person he doesn't want to hire!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

token101 wrote: »
    Love the way there's loads of posts here about the Aussies being 'classy' etc when this advert looks like it was posted by an Irish guy! He's probably been that person he doesn't want to hire!
    Northern Irish guy. Big difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Kyleigh Calm Sprinter

There really doesn't seem to have been any need for the Irish Times to post that he was from Northern Ireland, only to differentiate himself as different from all the other Irish and introduce the relationship between the North and South into another debate once again.
    I kind of feel bad for the employers, the Irish are so happy out there with all the jobs available that they're more focused on the holiday than the work now... it's also incredibly annoying, because as a young student who's thinking of emigrating in the near future I can't believe that the minority of Irish people over there who are nothing but time wasters are going to begin this tirade with their employers of 'No Irish' will make it impossible for us normal, hardworking people to find a job anywhere :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

:D

Well, well, well.... :D

There really doesn't seem to have been any need for the Irish Times to post that he was from Northern Ireland, only to differentiate himself as different from all the other Irish and introduce the relationship between the North and South into another debate once again.
    It is kind of the point though. Northern Ireland as I have already mentioned is the most racist place on earth, a very different environment to the Republic of Ireland. Even in this thread you had numerous well known loyalist posters leaping in to defend this racism, and a few others who should hang their heads in shame.

I don't think people really appreciate what kind of malignancy is just north of the border there - its not just Irish people looked down on, but black people, jews, gays, all the usual with room to spare. Given half a chance they'd turn the country into something that would make apartheid era South Africa look like a model of tolerance and understanding. This is the end result of many many years of typical misadministration by Britain, which not only accepted but encouraged these attitudes.

Now thats not to say everyone in the north is like that, the hard cases are in the minority. Barely. But its a real problem we're going to have to deal with when the country gets reunified.

What happened here is this gobjaw heard that Oz had a reputation for being racist, and moved there believing that he could live out his supremacist fantasies, obviously with an English guy as fellow traveller. Lets hope the ensuing backlash teaches him to amend his attitudes in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Funnily enough last week I was talking about the issue of the 'Drunken Irish' with my Irish Australian uncle and cousin both with their own businesses in the building trade in Perth. The uncle is originally from inner city Dublin and is a Catholic and still loves the drink. His son was born here but has been in Australia since he was 5.

Neither will hire Irish. Unreliable, showing up late or not at all, showing up still pissed, wrecking shared rented accomodation etc. Grown men crying on the airwaves here about no work and having to travel to the other side of the world to find work, then get there and act like drunken teenage J1'ers. Very clever lads, very clever :rolleyes:

I wonder where the old stereotypes came from :rolleyes:

Am I just being honest with myself about how we Irish are or am I just a self loathing west brit?? You decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Elessar wrote: »
    Racism against the Irish - serves them right those drunken fools, I agree with this apartheid! Bloody horrible race of people so we are. Anti-irish ads are a-ok with me!

When the British come rolling in the tune quickly changes!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭raymann

Calibos wrote: »
    Funnily enough last week I was talking about the issue of the 'Drunken Irish' with my Irish Australian uncle and cousin both with their own businesses in the building trade in Perth. The uncle is originally from inner city Dublin and is a Catholic and still loves the drink. His son was born here but has been in Australia since he was 5.

Neither will hire Irish. Unreliable, showing up late or not at all, showing up still pissed, wrecking shared rented accomodation etc. Grown men crying on the airwaves here about no work and having to travel to the other side of the world to find work, then get there and act like drunken teenage J1'ers. Very clever lads, very clever :rolleyes:

Am I just being honest with myself about how we Irish are or am I just a self loathing west brit?? You decide.

for years the irish abroad have passed off as english when they were acting the maggot. problem is now that too many are in aus. its impossible to hide and people know exactly who is causing the problems. perhaps its time for a bit of a look at how we conduct ourselves abroad with a drink or two on us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    It is kind of the point though. Northern Ireland as I have already mentioned is the most racist place on earth, a very different environment to the Republic of Ireland. Even in this thread you had numerous well known loyalist posters leaping in to defend this racism, and a few others who should hang their heads in shame.

I don't think people really appreciate what kind of malignancy is just north of the border there - its not just Irish people looked down on, but black people, jews, gays, all the usual with room to spare. Given half a chance they'd turn the country into something that would make apartheid era South Africa look like a model of tolerance and understanding. This is the end result of many many years of typical misadministration by Britain, which not only accepted but encouraged these attitudes.

Now thats not to say everyone in the north is like that, the hard cases are in the minority. Barely. But its a real problem we're going to have to deal with when the country gets reunified.

What happened here is this gobjaw heard that Oz had a reputation for being racist, and moved there believing that he could live out his supremacist fantasies, obviously with an English guy as fellow traveller. Lets hope the ensuing backlash teaches him to amend his attitudes in future.

Looks like the only person with a prejudicial attitude here is you. Thankfully your type are in the minority of people I've met in Ireland, North & South.

I won't launch into a discussion on power sharing and representation in the North as i think you're either not old enough or not intelligent enough to have a reasonable debate with.

Riiiiight! How the hell do you know any of this?

And as he said he has had Irish lads working for him, I find your summation and personal assessment of his character pretty laughable.

• Advertisement

I am pie wrote: »
    Looks like the only person with a prejudicial attitude here is you. Thankfully your type are in the minority of people I've met in Ireland, North & South.
    How is it prejudice to report the facts? Maybe you have your own report to back yourself up, but I doubt it.

And as he said he has had Irish lads working for him, I find your summation and personal assessment of his character pretty laughable.
    And I find your continued ongoing defence of this racist advert to be pretty contemptible. But how and ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,856 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

We established this the other day, he knows sweet fuck all.

How is it prejudice to report the facts? Maybe you have your own report to back yourself up, but I doubt it.

And I find your continued ongoing defence of this racist advert to be pretty contemptible. But how and ever.

Where have I defended the racist ad? :D If you can read, you will see that I said it is appalling - and said so as an Australian when we all thought the guy was Australian.

Nowhere ever have I defended the ad. :rolleyes::P

Xavi6 wrote: »
    We established this the other day, he knows sweet fuck all.
    Have you decided to explain to us why you find anti-Irish attitudes understandable yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I've no interest in your ill founded prejudices, nor your semi-literate understanding of what consitutes a 'fact'.

Fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Sadly it is a reflection of how many Irish conduct themselves abroad. No shock to me that it would be at least an unofficial policy of employers etc abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭ Virginia Nutty Prisoner

My brother has been working in Oz for the past 3 years. He was offered a sponsorship for 4 years last year. Should he be subject to this bullshít? He works his ass off, as he did here until he was let go from his last job. He's a carpenter and there was no work left here for him.

I am pie wrote: »
    I've no interest in your ill founded prejudices, nor your semi-literate understanding of what consitutes a 'fact'.

Fact.
    So you just decided to go off on a rant without a clue what you were talking about, or indeed even reading the thread, since I already linked this once. Brilliant.
    It's been said that industrialized nations are becoming more intolerant of foreigners, and a provocative new paper in the August issue of Kyklos tries to quantify just how bigoted Western nations are. (Free version of the paper is here.)

The paper's authors used responses from a question in the Human Beliefs and Values Survey -- a twice-a-decade survey of social and political attitudes around the world -- which asked respondents how they would feel about living next to: People of different ethnicities, Muslims, Jews, immigrants or foreign workers, and homosexuals.

The researchers used these answers as a proxy for bigotry in each country. (The survey took place in 1999-2000).

And the most prejudiced country? Drumroll please...

Northern Ireland with an estimated 44 percent of its population saying they wouldn't want to live next to one of the above five groups took the top "prize."
    And now we have a northerner putting up ignorant racist adverts all over the place. Well colour me shocked.

Should he be subject to this bullshít?

No, but he should also be wise enough to see how many Irish people do take the píss and realise they are to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Calibos wrote: »

Interesting perspective. The problem seems to be that too many emigrants are just treating this as either a holiday and a piss up or just a holiday job.

It's sad more people aren't making more of a go of it. Speaking from my own family which generations gone by have gone to London, Manchester, Boston, Chicago for work. I know for a fact it wasn't an easy ride when you got there, you had to work hard (often in the face of prejudice) and try your damned hardest to make a go of it. On top of finding a place to live and provide for yourself, money was sent home as well. I don't know why this generation should be any different to the previous ones.

Credit to anyone who emigrated and is trying to integrate and forge a new life for themselves but these stories you hear from the Irish builders out in Perth fresh off the plane are more bad than good at the moment. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

prinz wrote: »
    Sadly it is a reflection of how many Irish conduct themselves abroad. No shock to me that it would be at least an unofficial policy of employers etc abroad.

It is, but to be fair, you can't single out the Irish in this. As anyone who's been to Oz, or indeed anywhere abroad, Irish, English, Scottish, Welsh etc are all in pretty much the same frame of mind with regards to partying etc. Singling out the Irish seems a bit odd.

Have you decided to explain to us why you find anti-Irish attitudes understandable yet?

It's all in the thread, maybe go back and have a read. The penny *might* just drop someday.

Cliff notes -

Chap has bad experience with Irish, forms negative opinion, is entitled to that opinion, doesn't want to go through the hassle of interviewing more of them, angers Irish internet forum, some folk can't look past their anger and understand why the guy might think this way, thread locked, thread opened with no new info wahtsoever, circle dicsussion ensues.

Chap has bad experience with Irish, forms negative opinion, is entitled to that opinion, doesn't want to go through the hassle of interviewing more of them, angers Irish internet forum, some folk can't look past their anger and understand why the guy might think this way, thread locked, thread opened with no new info wahtsoever, circle dicsussion ensues.
    I asked why you found it understandable. And the new information is that he's from Northern Ireland, the most racist place on earth.

I asked why you found it understandable. And the new information is that he's from Northern Ireland, the most racist place on earth.

And I told you why countless times, I'm amazed that you're so simple. Seriously.

Last time - he had a bad experience so it caused an opinion to be formed. He doesn't want the hassle of finding the good eggs amongst the bad ones so said out straight he wants no Irish. Given his bad experiences, it's understandable why he would choose to say as much.

Clear enough?

Also, lol at you having a go at this lad for stereotyping when you've just done the same thing with the north. Good lad :rolleyes:

And I told you why countless times, I'm amazed that you're so simple. Seriously.

Last time - he had a bad experience so it caused an opinion to be formed. He doesn't want the hassle of finding the good eggs amongst the bad ones so said out straight he wants no Irish. Given his bad experiences, it's understandable why he would choose to say as much.
    That's not what you said though. You said you knew what he was talking about based on your years of having lived in Australia, and that you associated the Irish with a pack of wasters, which you claimed was a "selective quote" even though the actual quote was two millimeters above it.

And plenty of other posters pulled you up on it too.
    Also, lol at you having a go at this lad for steroetyping when you've just done the same thing with the north. Good lad :rolleyes:
    Unlike you I didn't go off half cocked without a shred of actual evidence though.

JimiTime wrote: »
    It is, but to be fair, you can't single out the Irish in this. As anyone who's been to Oz, or indeed anywhere abroad, Irish, English, Scottish, Welsh etc are all in pretty much the same frame of mind with regards to partying etc. Singling out the Irish seems a bit odd.

Sounds like the employer in question had plenty of bad experiences with the Irish in particular, seems that's the only reason they were singled out. It's unfortunate but it's reality.

Unlike you I didn't go off half cocked without a shred of actual evidence though.

So where is your actual evidence that this guy is a racist who only went to Australia to live out his racist fantasies? :confused:

So where is your actual evidence that this guy is a racist who only went to Australia to live out his racist fantasies? :confused:
    Are you saying the guy isn't a racist?

Are you saying the guy isn't a racist?

Can you not answer the question no?

• Advertisement

Can you not answer the question no?
    So you think he isn't a racist? Really, this should be good, I've my popcorn at the ready.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement