Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boston Marathon - new registration procedures

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

stipes212 wrote: »
    KC through 5k in 19:09---(2:41 finish)

Pace dropped slightly but I think this is as a result of the downhill leveling off in the 2nd 5k

10k 38.47

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

ecoli wrote: »
    Pace dropped slightly but I think this is as a result of the downhill leveling off in the 2nd 5k

10k 38.47

Too big a pace drop perhaps? I'd say he went off aiming at a sub-Abhainn finish, hopefully he's slowing with a sub 2:48 pb in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

Anyone get a video stream working yet? I'm still in the office so I'm not able to have a go just yet. Leaving shortly though :)

Peckham showing consistancy at 10k in 42:39. Still on for the sub 3.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Too big a pace drop perhaps? I'd say he went off aiming at a sub-Abhainn finish, hopefully he's slowing with a sub 2:48 pb in mind.

Possibly. He may have wanted to go out a bit harder at the start due to being early morning in the hope that he will gain himself enough of a cushion when the temperatures rise even further later in the race.

The weather factor here makes this one a really tough one to approach tactically

• Advertisement

Possibly. He may have wanted to go out a bit harder at the start due to being early morning in the hope that he will gain himself enough of a cushion when the temperatures rise even further later in the race.

The weather factor here makes this one a really tough one to approach tactically

Yeah, think he's going to pace by HR- good luck with that after halfway in those temperatures!

(I'm looking forward to following how this race heats up, in an almost sadistic way!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Good stuff from the lads so far. Two slightly different approaches will be very interested to see how they impact on finish time. I'm actually slightly nervous for them. Now I know how my mother feels :)

KC 58:39 at 15k, slowing a bit still. 2:45 finish projected, this will be very tough to get a PB in the heat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

RayCun wrote: »
    What's the temperature there this morning? As hot as expected?

currently 26,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Wonder if Peckham and Kentucky Pete are running together? Pete is 3503

• Advertisement

Doubt it could happen for anybody today. Peckham has slowed to 7:07/mile pace- not a good sign so early on. Sam Adams is the only partner for that heat!

Doubt it could happen for anybody today. Peckham has slowed to 7:07/mile pace- not a good sign so early on. Sam Adams is the only partner for that heat!

This race is normally won in 2.07-08 and the leading guys are pushing on 2.12 pace at moment (admittedly this will probably drop to around 2.10 when pace picks up in the second half) but it shows you that there are serious conditions affecting people across the board

I think lead women on for 2.35 plus also. Unfortunate for anyone chasing a time/PB today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Apparently 22,426 runners started race. That's 84% of entrant field, normally DNS are at 8% rather than the 16% today. The warnings must've put a fair few first timers off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I cannot imagine running in that heat will be fun especially when we have not trained in those conditions.

KC slowing to a 20:24 5k split, 6:34/mile pace. Still on for the pb, but it must be tough going at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

i feel for the lads out there.
    kc is obviously slowing and prob realises his pb is off the cards. a sub 3 without any damage would be a great run.

^ and my use of the word "slowing" is very relative... I'd give a kidney to be able to run a 1:23:34 half, never mind in that heat, never mind with 13 miles to go. Still some impressive running!

^ and my use of the word "slowing" is very relative... I'd give a kidney to be able to run a 1:23:34 half, never mind in that heat, never mind with 13 miles to go. Still some impressive running!

True though he is probably taking the foot off the gas in an attempt to be fresh enough after this to regroup and have another crack at the PB in a few weeks time

projected finish time is irrelevant as it is based on average time for distance already covered.
    in other words its unlikely that the earlier faster pace will be repeated.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The pace for KC, Peckam and KP have all dropped by about the same amount since the start. :(

• Advertisement

True though he is probably taking the foot off the gas in an attempt to be fresh enough after this to regroup and have another crack at the PB in a few weeks time

ya, hope this is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

robinph wrote: »
    The pace for KC, Peckam and KP have all dropped by about the same amount since the start. :(

And they've yet to hit the hills. Not good. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Mutai drops out at 30K.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

And they've yet to hit the hills. Not good. :(

I guess that the hills are just after half way then? KC has got slower at 25k, but Peckham and KP just got a touch quicker on the way to halfway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Have been putting random start numbers into the tracker and they are slowing at the same or to a less extent than the majority of my random numbers. All about finishing as high up the field as you can today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I guess that the hills are just after half way then? KC has got slower at 25k, but Peckham and KP just got a touch quicker on the way to halfway.

The hills are between miles 16 and 21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Even mutai is having a really hard day out there, 5:16 pace for the last 5k :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Mutai drops out at 30K.
    The splits before he dropped out says a lot about the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Carnage among the elites. Fellas dropping out all over the shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

oh they are hurting 5:24 for the leaders last mile

Advertisement