Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Power meter or upgrade to carbon bike?

• 19-07-2015 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I currently race on an aluminium frame bike and am looking to make an investment in either a carbon bike(canyon slx) or a powermeter. The bike doesn't seem to be holding me back so far as I keep up on climbs with no issues.
    Which would you recommend to see more of an improvement in my racing?
    I am really limited on time over the winter months so maybe the powermeter will help to train more efficiently?
    Looking at the stages pm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

darraghm92 wrote: »
    I currently race on an aluminium frame bike and am looking to make an investment in either a carbon bike(canyon slx) or a powermeter. The bike doesn't seem to be holding me back so far as I keep up on climbs with no issues.
    Which would you recommend to see more of an improvement in my racing?
    I am really limited on time over the winter months so maybe the powermeter will help to train more efficiently?
    Looking at the stages pm.

To improve your racing simply get fitter, identify your weaknesses and do something constructive to improve them without neglecting your strengths and learn from your mistakes. It's not the bike usually that's the problem it's the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭lennymc

pm, and either an understanding of the numbers, or a coach who understands the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭YeahOK

Bike, looking at a shiny new bike won't depress you. Your power numbers however.... ahem:D

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jimzy

I'd go with the power meter. New bike probably won't make a massive difference to your training or racing - but the power meter (if used correctly) can give you serious improvements. I got a stages about 6 months ago too - great investment - go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 darraghm92

jimzy wrote: »
    I'd go with the power meter. New bike probably won't make a massive difference to your training or racing - but the power meter (if used correctly) can give you serious improvements. I got a stages about 6 months ago too - great investment - go for it.

Thanks jimzy. Where did you buy the stages? Only place I found online that seem to ship to Ireland was powermetershop.de

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jimzy

Tried to buy it here - but anywhere i tried at the time had a 3 month wait or more! Got it from www.cyclepowermeters.com. Shipped in a couple of days, very good to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭lennymc

get a copy of hunter & coggen training and racing with a power meter, otherwise your power meter will just be a fancy addition to your bike, with no real benefit to your training. Golden cheetah is free software that you can use to track your power over time and has lots of features, or you could use something like wko/training peaks which has a subscription charge. I'm sure there are more.

Advertisement