Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Macafee

• 25-06-2015 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hi to all the Old Fogey is back with a problem. I was away for a week and when I turned on my Laptop which is Macafee protected I get a message YOUR COMPUTER IS AT RISK AND REAL TIME SCANNING IS OFF. I was told to carry out a full scan but I could not. Can anyone tell me how to get back on track.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Step one would be uninstalling McAfee, its a disaster.

Install Malwarebytes, CCleaner and ADWCleaner and run a scan on each of those every so often. Buy Malwarebytes if you want real-time protection.

Viruses are rare and debilating, I wouldn't put faith in McAfee to save me from them. The other three should cover you for malware

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

What OS are you running?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭tri50072

Old Fart here Dont know what OS is

tri50072 wrote: »
    Old Fart here Dont know what OS is

What Operating system are you running. Windows? Which version?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Windows XP, 7, 8, 8.1?

Don't see how it would matter anyways

• Advertisement

Windows XP, 7, 8, 8.1?

Don't see how it would matter anyways

Yeah I know, I'm Just curious. Hopefully he's not running XP.

Thanks Lads I am operating Windows 7. I am hoping to visit Age Action clinic in morning to see if anyone there can help, I will keep posted.

OK guys firstly thanks for replies. I was in AGE Action clinic this am and the guy there was extremely helpful. He removed the Macafee from the laptop and set up. Avast Anti Virus. He cleaned out any rubbish that was causing the laptop to be slow. Everything looks good now. Age Action run their free clinic every Friday 10am to 4pm. They also run free courses on Computers. Tablets and Cameras for us Older generation.Thanks again Guys

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

OK guys firstly thanks for replies. I was in AGE Action clinic this am and the guy there was extremely helpful. He removed the Macafee from the laptop and set up. Avast Anti Virus. He cleaned out any rubbish that was causing the laptop to be slow. Everything looks good now. Age Action run their free clinic every Friday 10am to 4pm. They also run free courses on Computers. Tablets and Cameras for us Older generation.Thanks again Guys

I'm glad to hear you got the issue sorted. Sounds like a great service! Avast is grand and the price is right!

Nick

Great Service from Age Action they cover a multitude of activities. I would recommend any older people to join you might find it interesting. They are always needing Volunteers for their computer clinic in Inchicore. Thanks again for everything.

• Advertisement

hi Guys my Son borrowed my laptop and it was stolen from his car. He has replaced it with a new Toshiba. I have been having problems with it in that it keeps losing WIFI other computers in house are working ok. I brought it back to DID who said it was probably MACAFEE causing problem.they removed it and it worked ok for a week then it lost it again and I got UPC limited when I checked status. I went back and they have now reset it back to its new state including macafee. Has anyone else have this problem and should I remove MACAFEE and if so how do I uninstall it,

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thanks for very informative reply which worked a Dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kodistar

hi Guys my Son borrowed my laptop and it was stolen from his car. He has replaced it with a new Toshiba. I have been having problems with it in that it keeps losing WIFI other computers in house are working ok. I brought it back to DID who said it was probably MACAFEE causing problem.they removed it and it worked ok for a week then it lost it again and I got UPC limited when I checked status. I went back and they have now reset it back to its new state including macafee. Has anyone else have this problem and should I remove MACAFEE and if so how do I uninstall it,

Hi there

Remove mcafee its useless and try changing your broadband channel could be that your your wireless driver is brand new and on different frequency.

If you dont know how to do it google it, if it eircom its 192.168.1.254 go in log in as admin and broadband1 as password change it through that.

Hope i helped.

Advertisement