Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your best and worst customer service experiences [rant & praise]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Post moved from zombie thread to Best/Worst Customer Service thread

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Worst ever? Tesco Off-Licence, Phibsborough.

I swear to Christ, this must be the 'naughty-step' for North Dublin Tesco employees, it's a disgrace to the chain. It always smells of stale-beer and the staff are pig-ignorant.

It's been this way for years. A couple of years ago, they'd always play death-speed-metal on the PA. It's been its own little dysfunctional kingdom for years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Sounds a bit like Bank of Ireland in Clondalkin- before they closed that branch. Apparently the staff had to be fully retrained after serving in the branch- before they were fit to be moved other branches........ On one occasion I bought a couple of hundred pounds worth of Deutsch Marks from the branch. They put them in an envelope in my presence. I enclosed the sealed envelope in a registered package to Hamburg (it was to a company who built customised gaming computers). Within 2 weeks I had a solicitor's letter on my doorstep- without any other correspondence of any nature- threatening court action- because they had apparently given me the wrong sum in Deutschmarks.

I advised I had to request the company I had sent the money to, refund it. The Germans laughed a bit- and advised they would have to wait until the end of the month- when they netted their receipts, before they could refund the overpayment.

I passed this in writing, to the local branch. No comment received. 1 week later- a letter advising me of a court date with the District Court.

2 weeks hence- a bank draft was received from the Germans (presumably for the correct amount) drawn on a German bank.

I presented this to Bank of Ireland- and they gruffily accepted it. They then put a charge on my student account for accepting the bank draft- and for the difference in the exchange rate between the start and end of their screw up.

I attended the court date- representing myself. I explained what had happened. Bank of Ireland were not represented. The case was dismissed.

I laughed out loud, heartily and for long- when I heard the branch had been closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

The bank is still open they just moved up to Newlands cross. They were an absolute disgrace, I had a loan while in college and I had numerous charges for missed direct debits due to there incompetence. At one point my insurance was cancelled because my company kept getting direct debits rejected.

Complained numerous times to no avail, closed my account and after about a year received a cheque for 750 euro that they had incorrectly charged me for missed direct debit fees (12.70 X 57). The cost of taking out a new car insurance policy was almost 500 euro extra because of their mistake. No chance of them giving compensation for that. Worst experience of my life with any company especially being a student at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Palmach

Pat McCarthy shoes in Ennis. My wife tried to return shoes but they said they were marked. She had only worn them around the house. The mark was on the sole but she hadn't looked at the sole when she bought them. The manager tried to get her to the back of the shop and refused to approach the counter where she was standing and made no effort to give satisfaction. She has bought there regularly as well but won't do so again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

they were under no obligation to take them back unless faulty, especially as the were used, don't see the issue.

This post has been deleted.

They actually had- I think the Germans had changed their bank notes recently- and some of the larger denomination new notes had a similar colour to some of the smaller denomination older notes. However- the teller counted them into an envelope in front of me- and sealed the envelope before handing it over. I put the sealed envelope in a registered envelope with my order (for a gaming PC). I think it cost the Deutschmark equivalent of around £1500 Irish (at the time)- I have no idea what they gave me- it was in the letter- and the bank draft back from the Germans was for the correct amount.

They were exceptionally incompetent, belligerent and plain rude in the branch. I used the branch on occasion (I went to school in the Gaelscoil in Clondalkin). Thank Christ I don't have to deal with them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

Good
    I had the most horrendous experience with Liberty insurance at the weekend. Their breakdown assistance has been outsourced (possibly new Zealand based on accents) , I broke down outside Enfield on the motorway. I spent ten minutes trying to explain to the girl my name and where I was. She didn't have a notion, I was waiting for 40 minutes and got a call from a mechanic in Galway who seemed quite confused as to why he was called to save me! Called back, asked them to perhaps send someone a bit closer, an hour later he arrived. Very pleasant chap who was equally frustrated with the outsourcing & explained all recovery drivers are signing a petition to get the call centres back to Ireland. When I asked liberty about a courtesy car as is promised to help me complete my journey, the guy didn't have a clue & said he had to check with his supervisor and would call me back. 2 days later I am still waiting for that call! After being a customer for 5 years with all family members also insured by them, we are all switching provider. Horrendous experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Sony Ireland, absolutely terrible standards of communication

Trying to find out what the delay is with my phone repair, every time I get in touch with them I'm told I'll get a response in a few days. I don't get one. I get in contact with them again, get the same response, we'll get back to you. I complain about how long it's taken, same response again. No attempt to engage, and replies from different people every time, all promising the same thing over and over again, and yet I don't get a proper reply any time

Shockingly bad for such a big brand name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭dohouch

Virtanen wrote: »
    Sent my phone in Yesterday , address in Greenogue Business Park, Rathcoole, Freepost. We''ll see how it goes.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

Trying to find out what the delay is with my phone repair, every time I get in touch with them I'm told I'll get a response in a few days. I don't get one. I get in contact with them again, get the same response, we'll get back to you. I complain about how long it's taken, same response again. No attempt to engage, and replies from different people every time, all promising the same thing over and over again, and yet I don't get a proper reply any time

Shockingly bad for such a big brand name
    dohouch wrote: »
    Sent my phone in Yesterday , address in Greenogue Business Park, Rathcoole, Freepost. We''ll see how it goes.

So phone is back and working but with a different IMEI Nr. and a damaged screen, that it did not have when it went in. Why do the change the IMEI Nr.? The battery is the one it went in with as I had some marks on it.

I'm happy enough, but don't know what to do about the scuff marks on the screen, they appear to be on the reverse side of the glass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

So phone is back and working but with a different IMEI Nr. and a damaged screen, that it did not have when it went in. Why do the change the IMEI Nr.? The battery is the one it went in with as I had some marks on it.

I'm happy enough, but don't know what to do about the scuff marks on the screen, they appear to be on the reverse side of the glass.

Sounds like it's a different phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

not sure if it's Customer Service but it's certainly heavy handedness . Walking past a well known music pub in Temple Bar recently when a kerfuffle broke out on the street. One of the doormen knocked me to the ground to get at the melee and some passers-by helped me to my feet.

I was shaken and asked for the doorman's name who told me he was not obliged to give it as the *incident* didn't happen on their premises. He wore a name tag but has it secured so the id part is taped inwards to his chest.

I called the pub and they told me since I didn't have the doorman's name, there was nothing they could do. I have passed there a few times and still cant get his name as the tag is always facing inwards.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Sounds like it's a different phone?

No sure , I put some marks on the phone too, ( on the white sticker under the battery ), but this white sticker is new, as white as the driven snow. Psst, the reason I'm too unhappy is that I actually "bricked" the phone while making some deep needed improvements to the kernel. The phone would no longer switch on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Good
    n

I was shaken and asked for the doorman's name who told me he was not obliged to give it as the *incident* didn't happen on their premises. He wore a name tag but has it secured so the id part is taped inwards to his chest.

I called the pub and they told me since I didn't have the doorman's name, there was nothing they could do. I have passed there a few times and still cant get his name as the tag is always facing inwards.

You could possibly take it up with the PSA. According to their guidelines, the front of the license with the photo and license number are supposed to be displayed unobstructed, facing outward. If he's constantly got it turned inwards there might be a reason.

No sure , I put some marks on the phone too, ( on the white sticker under the battery ), but this white sticker is new, as white as the driven snow. Psst, the reason I'm too unhappy is that I actually "bricked" the phone while making some deep needed improvements to the kernel. The phone would no longer switch on.
    At least you got a phone back. I'm still waiting to hear anything about mine

I've had 5 different people on 5 separate occasions promise me that the case would be "escalated" to discover what the delay is, with a promise that I would hear from someone in a few days. Absolutely nothing. And I can't even track the repair on the SBE website (the company actually doing the repair) because I was never supplied with a repair number to track it with. And how do I get said tracking number? I have to get it from the very people who refuse to get in contact with me in the first place

It's becoming a joke at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Supermacs Eyre Square beside Dunnes Stores.
    They replaced my original burger when I was waiting too long for the rest of the order with a fresh one. Place was quite cheerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 flint06

I have just been on to 3 mobile customer service and have to say I am very disappointed In the way they have dealt with my issue I paid my bill on line and found out that they debited my account not once but three times .i have been a customer for at least six years paying the high tariff .I explained that I wanted the funds returned to my acc as I had other direct debits that needed to be met and that I would incur fines as a result from my bank. I found myself talking to someone in India who could hardly understand me telling me that it was probably my fault that I had pressed a button 3 times and that it would take 21 days to issue a check. I explained that that was no Good to me and how dare they hold on to my money for 21 days .anyway I got no joy feel totally frustrated ! My contract is up for renewal shortly and I will be taking my business somewhere else 3 mobile are very quick to take your money when it comes to Bill time but very slow in giving it back so just beware if your thinking of joining because there customer service is a joke!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

flint06 wrote: »
    I have just been on to 3 mobile customer service and have to say I am very disappointed In the way they have dealt with my issue I paid my bill on line and found out that they debited my account not once but three times .i have been a customer for at least six years paying the high tariff .I explained that I wanted the funds returned to my acc as I had other direct debits that needed to be met and that I would incur fines as a result from my bank. I found myself talking to someone in India who could hardly understand me telling me that it was probably my fault that I had pressed a button 3 times and that it would take 21 days to issue a check. I explained that that was no Good to me and how dare they hold on to my money for 21 days .anyway I got no joy feel totally frustrated ! My contract is up for renewal shortly and I will be taking my business somewhere else 3 mobile are very quick to take your money when it comes to Bill time but very slow in giving it back so just beware if your thinking of joining because there customer service is a joke!!!
    You could always............ http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1367

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Good
    flint06 wrote: »

If you take it up with your bank and explain the situation you'll might get it resolved quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭ourheritage

Yesterday I had a quint essential example of excellent customer service at Marks and Spencers Grafton Street Dublin. Prior to St Patrick's day (almost a month ago) I was shopping in Marks and Spencers Grafton Street. I walked out of the shop with everything except my gloves. I went back, and looked, and asked but nothing. The manager in their foodhall department took my mobile number and within a couple of days I got a call to say they had my gloves, and they would be at customer service. As I am hardly ever in Dublin city centre, I did not get a chance to go and get them until yesterday. When I walked in, I thought as I hadn't collected them for almost a month, they would have been given to charity. However a small lady with blonde hair and glasses called for the next person in the queue which was me. I explained that I'd left them in the store almost a month ago, and she went to a drawer, and said she had found them, and took them out of a bag. Now that is what I call a
    quint essential example of excellent customer service.

Normally you only hear bad stories about An Post.
    Well- I sent a parcel to my sister in South Africa for Christmas.
    I was very surprised when it arrived back here again as unclaimed.
    I know just how erratic the post is down there (to put it diplomatically) so I was surprised to see it at all, when I knew it hadn't been delivered.
    I wasn't aware when I sent it that the postal workers there were on strike- I wouldn't have done so, had I known.

Anyhow- An Post apologised, they couldn't have been nicer, and they refunded the entire shipping and charges incurred. Seeing as the issue was in South Africa- and not here- their response was remarkable, and a really nice gesture. They expressed out a cheque for 72.50- the total.

I've now packaged up the parcel again (having removed the damaged Christmas cake and something else I had forgotten about that had perished), and will be resending presently.

Thankyou An Post- and especially the agent I was dealing with (I guess I probably shouldn't name him here).

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sadchild

hey all,

I am not sure how many of you have to deal with the UPC, or how often you call their technician to fix something for you. But please careful on when you deal with them, as calling them may cost you approx. 200 euro, broken alarm and unresolved broadband issue.
    Here is what happened to me and my wife two days ago. On the 13th of April a UPC technician came to our new apartment(we just moved in) to patch the wall socket (there was a broadband connection in our living room, but no internet in bedroom).
    Gentleman called <SNIP> started looking for a solution, he left our apartment for 15mins, returned and started opening fuse boxes, sealed sockets, etc. At some point he decided to look into a box marked as Aritech Alarms...
    I am not sure what he was looking for there, but he resulted in activating an alarm that could not be turned off for some reason (even when the message on the panel said: alarm disarmed).
    The alarm was howling for around 15 mins where the T&C of the apartment says that if alarm is on for more than 10min you may pay the fine.
    When we asked UPC tech why he touched the box that was not labeled as UPC property, he just mumbled something and ignored us.

Unfortunately the only way to turn the alarm off was to cut the wires from the alarm speakers. I did that as we could not stand the sound, plus my pregnant wife became super stressed with the fact that we may be forced to pay the fine, or in worst scenario lose an apartment.
    After this, the technician said "sorry for that, also, i cant fix your internet as someone destroyed the cable in the wall, so the signal is very weak", then he left the apartment.

We called their support straight away, telling what happened. Their rep told us that the manager will call us in next 10 mins, after two extra days he finally rang us and said that what happened is our fault as we should not cut the cables.
    When asked the manager who authorized their tech guy to open the alarm box, or why he event touch the box he said that sometimes internet cables are placed in alarm boxes...(yeah, no comment on this one)

so here we are. UPC told us that it is our fault and they won't cover any costs, we have to fix the alarm ourselves(around €200), we still do not have broadband connection in our bedroom and wireless signal is so weak that we can barely browse the internet.

Thats what we got for being their customer for +5 years with the premium plan.

Please treat this story as a friendly warning when you deal with UPC, be sure that you will follow their technician on every step and look and their hands as they may break something for you.

Please share this story if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Merged into best / worst customer service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭Virgin Media: Brian

sadchild wrote: »
    hey all,

I am not sure how many of you have to deal with the UPC, or how often you call their technician to fix something for you. But please careful on when you deal with them, as calling them may cost you approx. 200 euro, broken alarm and unresolved broadband issue.
    Here is what happened to me and my wife two days ago. On the 13th of April a UPC technician came to our new apartment(we just moved in) to patch the wall socket (there was a broadband connection in our living room, but no internet in bedroom).
    Gentleman called <SNIP> started looking for a solution, he left our apartment for 15mins, returned and started opening fuse boxes, sealed sockets, etc. At some point he decided to look into a box marked as Aritech Alarms...
    I am not sure what he was looking for there, but he resulted in activating an alarm that could not be turned off for some reason (even when the message on the panel said: alarm disarmed).
    The alarm was howling for around 15 mins where the T&C of the apartment says that if alarm is on for more than 10min you may pay the fine.
    When we asked UPC tech why he touched the box that was not labeled as UPC property, he just mumbled something and ignored us.

Unfortunately the only way to turn the alarm off was to cut the wires from the alarm speakers. I did that as we could not stand the sound, plus my pregnant wife became super stressed with the fact that we may be forced to pay the fine, or in worst scenario lose an apartment.
    After this, the technician said "sorry for that, also, i cant fix your internet as someone destroyed the cable in the wall, so the signal is very weak", then he left the apartment.

We called their support straight away, telling what happened. Their rep told us that the manager will call us in next 10 mins, after two extra days he finally rang us and said that what happened is our fault as we should not cut the cables.
    When asked the manager who authorized their tech guy to open the alarm box, or why he event touch the box he said that sometimes internet cables are placed in alarm boxes...(yeah, no comment on this one)

so here we are. UPC told us that it is our fault and they won't cover any costs, we have to fix the alarm ourselves(around €200), we still do not have broadband connection in our bedroom and wireless signal is so weak that we can barely browse the internet.

Thats what we got for being their customer for +5 years with the premium plan.

Please treat this story as a friendly warning when you deal with UPC, be sure that you will follow their technician on every step and look and their hands as they may break something for you.

Please share this story if you want.

Hi Sadchild,

Really sorry to hear of this, we'd like to look into this further with you. Just drop us a PM to UPC: Reps along with your account details and we'll investigate.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Royal Mail - lied about delivery of an item this morning (received email/text to state that it was delivered to my office first thing this morning, security and mailroom here have no record at all of it and the time suggests that it should have been with their first delivery of the morning) and then were completely unhelpful when I rang them up about it, customer service agent sounded like she was trying to pick a fight with me.

Wiggle were incredibly helpful though when I contacted them regarding the issue.

At least you got a phone back. I'm still waiting to hear anything about mine

I've had 5 different people on 5 separate occasions promise me that the case would be "escalated" to discover what the delay is, with a promise that I would hear from someone in a few days. Absolutely nothing. And I can't even track the repair on the SBE website (the company actually doing the repair) because I was never supplied with a repair number to track it with. And how do I get said tracking number? I have to get it from the very people who refuse to get in contact with me in the first place

It's becoming a joke at this stage
    Just an update on this. It's been over a month now. I still have absolutely nothing to show for it. What a <SNIP> joke. It seems that they have actually managed to lose my phone. They never said it in those words, but a) they said they don't know where it is, and b) if they had handed it over to the courier company they'd know where it is. So yeah, they lost it.

So now they've offered to upgrade it to a better model (which, by the way, I was promised was worth £220 on the Sony website; turns out they don't even make or sell that model any more, but it is still better than the one I had, so whatever), which I was promised would definitely, 100% arrive by today at the latest. Surprise surprise, no <SNIP> sign of anything. Ring them up again, and guess what? The <SNIP> "escalations team" will get back to me in 5 working days. I'm sure they will. I mean it's not like I've been promised that before with no contact whatsoever or anything :rolleyes:

I've dealt with some pretty shocking customer service before, but this is definitely up there with the worst. God help anyone who ever has a problem with Sony products.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭meolwan

Played a round at this course today with son on a Just Golf deal. I accept that the deal did not cost the earth but the way I look at it we always try to spend some money on meals or buggy something to give the course some extra business that they would not get as we are getting what we class as a good deal. However the reason for they title of the thread is that the buggy we had paid 25 euro to rent died on the 17th hole. So I walked to the clubhouse to tell staff and the conversation when like this " We always check the buggy's before we let them out " my reply well it has died on the 17th fairway, staff member " ok well leave it there" my response can I have another to collect our clubs, staff member "ok then what are you going to do " me put my clubs in the car. When I came back with the key of second buggy I did expect some kind of apology but all I received was "Sorry about that but you were on a Just Golf Voucher" which I replied I did pay for it as well as the 25 euros I gave for buggy. Staff member " it could have been worst you did get to the 17th hole".
    After a few more words she did say well if you come back I will give you discount on a buggy.
    I can tell you now I will never play there again Customer Service at this golf course is something they never heard of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

meolwan wrote: »
    Played a round at this course today with son on a Just Golf deal. I accept that the deal did not cost the earth but the way I look at it we always try to spend some money on meals or buggy something to give the course some extra business that they would not get as we are getting what we class as a good deal. However the reason for they title of the thread is that the buggy we had paid 25 euro to rent died on the 17th hole. So I walked to the clubhouse to tell staff and the conversation when like this " We always check the buggy's before we let them out " my reply well it has died on the 17th fairway, staff member " ok well leave it there" my response can I have another to collect our clubs, staff member "ok then what are you going to do " me put my clubs in the car. When I came back with the key of second buggy I did expect some kind of apology but all I received was "Sorry about that but you were on a Just Golf Voucher" which I replied I did pay for it as well as the 25 euros I gave for buggy. Staff member " it could have been worst you did get to the 17th hole".
    After a few more words she did say well if you come back I will give you discount on a buggy.
    I can tell you now I will never play there again Customer Service at this golf course is something they never heard of.

I'm fairness getting to the 17th hole isn't the worst thing in the world but still she shouldn't have said that, she could have just thought it, apologised and not mentioned the voucher, even if she was thinking all these things just get on with it. Never understand why employees feel the need to backchat In a situation where the customer isn't even being that awkward and I've done 7 years in customer service

Advertisement