Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garmin Fenix 3 in BM store in Ireland ?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Has anyone used the feature to Pause an activity and then to resume it later on?

It's one of the items in the menu. On Strava you end up with two separate workouts. On GC you end up with a "Multi-Sport" activity like some sort of Triathlete or something. The first part is running, the second part is also running. Not very well implemented unfortunately.

I ended up manually edditing GPX files and re-uploading to strava as one running activity. As God intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Nope, but I did 'create a new app' this morning for track sessions. To be honest, it's more like creating a profile, but it's a great feature. I have a new activity-type called 'Run - Track' with a specific set of data fields to cover warm-up, lap-splits and stats and warm-down, with auto-lap turned off. Used to pi$$ me off, having to adjust the settings constantly for hitting the track.

Incidentally, the track place seems a lot closer to reality than I used to get with the 910xt - just two seconds/mile faster than reality over 4 laps. May be coincidence, but hopefully a reflection of more accurate data capture.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Nope, but I did 'create a new app' this morning for track sessions. To be honest, it's more like creating a profile, but it's a great feature. I have a new activity-type called 'Run - Track' with a specific set of data fields to cover warm-up, lap-splits and stats and warm-down, with auto-lap turned off. Used to pi$$ me off, having to adjust the settings constantly for hitting the track.

Incidentally, the track place seems a lot closer to reality than I used to get with the 910xt - just two seconds/mile faster than reality over 4 laps. May be coincidence, but hopefully a reflection of more accurate data capture.

Must pick your brains on that

Today I loaded up an advanced workout on the watch (transferred from Garmin Connect via bluetooth (mobile phone). Session was basically:
    Warm-up: 3 miles. 10 mins @MP, 7 mins @LT, 5 mins @10k, 3 mins @5k (with 3 mins easy between reps).

Problem was, by the time I got down to where I usually start these session (Kilbogget Park), the watch was only registering a distance of 2.7 miles. I know, from covering the route hundreds of times that it's 3 miles flat. Anyway, headed off for the first interval at marathon pace, and try as I might, I really had to work hard to hit marathon pace - I mean work really hard. It was a real struggle. Then into the easy paced recovery, and for some reason, I struggled to hit 8 minute miles. Then into the LT paced stuff, and I was working incredibly hard to get down to LT pace. Watch kept flashing up my current pace at me and I couldn't understand why. Then the 10k pace stuff. I was so far off the pace it was laughable. Figured there must be something wrong with the watch, so hit the cinder track for the final interval at 5k pace (but the damage was largely done).

Got back to work and uploaded the workout and it turns out that the watch never acquired a GPS lock (I'm not even sure it tried to) and instead was running off the acceleromater (essentially a treadmill workout). So all of the distances and pace numbers were quite divergent from reality. So I thought I would just post this up as a word of warning: Make sure you have a satellite lock before starting a workout. After you select your workout, and select [Do Workout], you then choose a profile (in my case [Run] and the next screen you get is 'Start the timer to begin workout'. If you click [Start] it begins immediately (without satellite lock). So not entirely sure how you're supposed to a workout based on satellite data, but will check the manual.. Still, it was a bloody good session. Just not sure how far or how fast....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

If you upload to strava are the paces and distances the same as on GC?

How come you never got a GPS lock at all? That is pretty worrying to be honest. Surely it should have acquired satellites at some stage during the workout.

• Advertisement

*Edit*:
    Looks like I'm not the only one with this problem... May be a bug (specifically that custom workouts don't seek a satellite lock).

*Edit 2*: Workaround seems to be to launch the Run app, acquire a satellite lock, then go back to the [Training] / [My Workouts] screen, select your custom workout and go from there. Crappy Garmin QA teams..

Possibly another glitch, but haven't had time to look it up yet.
    Went for a run on Friday and didn't notice that the hrm didn't pick up before starting the activity. On previous watches this would pick up shortly into the activity, especially with it being a wet evening, but not on this occasion.
    Normal service was resumed Sat and today, so no battery issues, etc.

Looks like once you start an activity if you haven't picked up a GPS lock or sensors, it assumes that's how you want to record your activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Major Dad

Quick question - old Forerunner 305 has died and thinking of buying the Fenix 3 as a replacement. Will the heart rate strap from the Forerunner 305 work with the Fenix 3 ?
    Cheers

I think it will. But you won't get some of the fancy stats such as cadence/ground contact time etc. Not that they are all that useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Major Dad wrote: »
    Quick question - old Forerunner 305 has died and thinking of buying the Fenix 3 as a replacement. Will the heart rate strap from the Forerunner 305 work with the Fenix 3 ?
    Cheers

It's Ant+ so should work with no issues, but obviously won't give you any of the goodies you get with the newer HMs. I have not seen the fenix 3 anywhere on sale (in Ire/UK) without the strap though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭vigos

I was just wondering if anyone has the sapphire model and what its like to run with? Is it too heavy with the metal strap? I'm thinking of getting one of these once I get paid and also once I find a site/shop with stock. The sapphire version seems to be hard to come by I even contacted Garmin themselves and they couldn't update me when they would have it in their online shop

vigos wrote: »
    I was just wondering if anyone has the sapphire model and what its like to run with? Is it too heavy with the metal strap? I'm thinking of getting one of these once I get paid and also once I find a site/shop with stock. The sapphire version seems to be hard to come by I even contacted Garmin themselves and they couldn't update me when they would have it in their online shop
    I toyed with the idea of getting the Saphire version, but am glad I didn't in the end. The watch face seems very scratch resistant and after a quick lick looks as good as new. :) If you do a lot of activity/mileage, then I reckon the rubber strap is probably a better option. I wear my watch for 16 hours a day and when you throw in 10-15 hours of sweaty activity, I reckon the metal strap would be manky and would have torn strips of with chaffing.

I toyed with the idea of getting the Saphire version, but am glad I didn't in the end. The watch face seems very scratch resistant and after a quick lick looks as good as new. :) If you do a lot of activity/mileage, then I reckon the rubber strap is probably a better option. I wear my watch for 16 hours a day and when you throw in 10-15 hours of sweaty activity, I reckon the metal strap would be manky and would have torn strips of with chaffing.

I am thinking of picking up the sapphire strap so I can swap them around. Will probably wait til the next time I am in the states though.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭vigos

Good points you're starting to sway me towards the standard version!. I liked the idea of the metal band for general use, I guess I could always buy one afterwards although they do seem a little pricey ~ 129 usd

vigos wrote: »
    Good points you're starting to sway me towards the standard version!. I liked the idea of the metal band for general use, I guess I could always buy one afterwards although they do seem a little pricey ~ 129 usd

Believe it'a a standard width - 26mm?
    So you could pick up something nice cheaper than 129.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Believe it'a a standard width - 26mm?
    So you could pick up something nice cheaper than 129.

something blue maybe :D

On my old Garmin, the 610, I could run my easy mile warm up on the normal timer, then go into menu and select intervals or custom workouts and do that workout, then start my timer again for the warmdown.

With the F3, if I try to do this, when I go into the training menu it says "Please end current activity to enter this menu" or something similar.

Seems like a step back that you can't do this. The only solution seems to be to have 3 separate activities and merge them later or else do the warm up and cool down as part of the custom workout but I won't always know how long that will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭28064212

adrian522 wrote: »
    Seems like a step back that you can't do this. The only solution seems to be to have 3 separate activities and merge them later or else do the warm up and cool down as part of the custom workout but I won't always know how long that will be.
    Can't you set the workout to have a warm-up of "Until Lap button press"?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

I guess I can and will do that next time, I like having my data fields setup the way I like it though and auto lap every mile during the warm up, not sure how this will work on the custom workout.

I'll try it and report back next time.

Why not create the session in Connect and export it to the watch ? Include the warmup and cooldown in the session.

• Advertisement

Well, because, I'm going to run a certain route, say 4 or 5 miles and then do the session at a certain point. I don't know how long I'll be running before getting to the point I want to do the session.

I think you can set it up so that it goes onto the next part when you press the lap button but I prefer the old system of just using the normal "Run" profile, then doing the session, then going back to the timer and doing the cool down.

Not a big deal I guess but seems a strange limitation to put on when it wasn't there before.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Well, because, I'm going to run a certain route, say 4 or 5 miles and then do the session at a certain point. I don't know how long I'll be running before getting to the point I want to do the session.

I think you can set it up so that it goes onto the next part when you press the lap button but I prefer the old system of just using the normal "Run" profile, then doing the session, then going back to the timer and doing the cool down.

Not a big deal I guess but seems a strange limitation to put on when it wasn't there before.

The Fenix is not based off the 610, so it's not really putting a limitation on as such. Have you checked the Fenix 3 forum on Garmin ? It's pretty active and Garmin seem to be pretty good at adding features/fixing bugs if the number of updates is anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

I see the performance bundle is €452 on Wiggle today.

Anyone seen this for any cheaper recently?

Thanks

wrstan wrote: »

Thanks

Good price. It's $499 on Amazon, $550 in REI

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Ron Scott

Thanks

Out of stock there now

Thanks

€410 + €4 Parcel Motel http://www.burrowsgps.co.uk/multisport/garmin-fenix-3-silver-bundle-with-heart-rate-monitor.html

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Is there any reason why I could not pair this watch with one of my existing HRM straps and get the full functionality, or should I be looking at the performance bundle?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Depends on your existing HRM. You need the newer Run HRM to get the extra run metrics of cadence, ground contact and vertical oscillation. A standard Ant+ will give you HR data.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

Seems to be out of stock on Burrows.

409 + 10 P&P on bike24

Even better on bike-discount 399 + 2.95 P&P
    That's red, grey due in soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mbarr

TheTubes wrote: »
    Seems to be out of stock on Burrows.

409 + 10 P&P on bike24

Even better on bike-discount 399 + 2.95 P&P
    That's red, grey due in soon.

Grey is back in at bike-discount.de, just ordered. I'll post back how I get on

Advertisement