Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭mogue77

an wouldn’t it be lovely to see that crosserlough man back in that full forward line again sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭mylestheslasher

I think Cavan will against Antrim and will win by 4/5 points. I sense there is a bit of anger in the camp for sure and Grahams comments on wac illustrate an annoyance with the media and the hyping up of Antrim as a coming team. Few lads coming back too and there is plenty of improvement possible in Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I didn't really pick up on those comments having listened to the interview - what did he state?

I'm wondering is it a bit of an Ulster media thing too - the likes of The Irish News and the Gaelic Life. Speaking to friends outside the county, ahead of the games this weekend, a few have mentioned to me that there's a feeling the Antrim game is win or go for Mickey Graham. I haven't picked up on that feeling in Cavan but it very much appears to be the opinion of the rest of the province.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

I'd agree, to an extent, that we focus on the lads in there at the moment. Your other comments are incorrect however. I don't think Dara has ever said he doesn't want to be there. He's said he needed a break after several years of long intercounty and club seasons. Let's not forget he burst onto the panel in 2013 when still an underage player. He also took a heavy physical toll on himself in years like 2018 where he worked very hard, after getting injured in the League final, to be back for the championship. Plenty of other players from more successful counties like Dublin have needed a break over the years.

You also state he is ''several'' years out of the game and the country.

''Several - more than one, more than two but fewer than many''

He's missed two intercounty and club seasons. A couple. Not several.

Let's not forget a precedent has also been set with Conor Moynagh.

I think if you asked any of the lads soldiered with him for many years if he should be an addition to the panel, we both know what answer you'd get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

Team still not released i though it had to be 48hrs before championship games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Thunderbirds

Is Dara not heading back Australia again for a bit?

It's good of you to speak for the man but he has given interviews himself regarding this.

'If I Took A Break But Stayed Here, You Don’t Get Away. You Would Hear Talk Constantly' | Balls.ie

[QUOTE]

"I was chatting to Andre, our strength and conditioning coach and he said it is probably the best thing I can do.

"Every year just runs into the next. I find I have niggles then that carry over. I mean I had a grade 2 tear in my groin after the Monaghan game, I was not expecting to play against Armagh. It builds up. I had two bad hamstring tears over the last two years.

"It is a chance to take a break. Even if I take a break but stayed here, you don’t get away from it. You would hear talk constantly. 'Why aren't you in? Did something happen?'

"When you go away, you are just away. Life goes on. I always wanted to do it anyway, it fell well. It is the right time."

After he returns he will join up again with the county set-up. Football still means as much as it ever did. A step away from the mania will have major benefits in the long run.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think that sounds like a player who ''doesn't want to be there enough''. Sounds like a player who had a number of hard years playing through various injuries and realised he needed a break. There's another article if you want to search it, I know you like searching things, where he does state his intention was only to go for one year but then Covid hit.

I would also think its unfair to take his comments out of context as you have done. That quote in 2018 was about players who were available for selection but opted not to join the panel, as I'm sure you are aware.

To be honest, with your comments here about a player who gave his all for the jersey for years and captained the team, it's no wonder we have a problem attracting players like the Ramor lads this year. A bit of appreciation goes a long way.

Has your own club any players on the minor, U20 or senior setups this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

anyone have the exact location of the pitch. Google maps shows a gaa pitch with no stand or terrace.

Also where would ye reckon the best place to park would be?

Again, he's been gone 2 years. That's what is factually correct. Not 3 or ''several''. Wait until the season is over before you incorrectly label it 3 seasons.

It was only intended to be a year as per the article when he left. If you were living in Australia where Covid was having a minimal effect following the strict guidelines they initially had, would you have moved back to Ireland where we were going through lockdown after lockdown?

He also played 7 years of senior football but had been involved with underage intercounty panels at least as far back as the 2010 minor team. I would imagine he was on development panels before then too. So you're looking at ten years plus of intercounty action.

It's a GAA forum. They are your GAA club. I find it interesting that you'd try to use items like looking up the Crosserlough minor team results against me yet you'll repeatedly refuse to confirm your own club.

I actually brought up the topic on this occasion because I wouldn't mind ending this conversation and usually asking you your club causes you to scarper from a discussion because you seem to have a fear of providing it!

Can they make changes to the 26 named once it is released? If they can, not much point getting it to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭piplip87

Doing ourselves no favours here. The lack of a man inside is killing us. It seems to be shot from distance or lose the ball. 4 or 5 silly wides.

Saying that playing very well until we get to shootong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Yeah shooting is off but we are taking the ball into the tackle around the middle way too much

I'd be worried we'll run out of steam in the 2nd half

We can't buy a free either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭piplip87

Jaysus this ref is doing us no favours.

That's a game we should have won

Absolute sickener. Referee was a disgrace. No yellows for Tyrone for cynical tackles. An overcarry against Cavan after a man only after receiving a pass. And the amount of soft frees. The defensive unit were brilliant and dominated both kickouts. Walking out a Tyrone man said to me that the ref was awful against Cavan.

Felt the referee was poor on us but we should have won that game. Yet again the lack of a top class free taker when the opposition has one costs one of our teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

That’s a tough one to take. So dominant in the first half but only one up. O Rourke was having some first half but ran out of steam in the second. Tyrone upped their intensity and their tackling was great but we did run into some dead ends.

showed some great heart when we went three down and two wides could’ve gotten us over the line or a draw. We were the better team over 60mins barring the 15 mins or so when Tyrone got on top in midfield.

finally, that is one of the worst refereeing displays I’ve seen in years. Not just the soft frees given to Tyrone, the lack of cards was appalling. Madden pulled down and the called for carrying- some of it was just laughable. I can’t even be bothered to try and list them all. We were playing 16 men, plain and simple.

I got a few texts from lads I know from Tyrone afterwards who said we were robbed. At the game there was a few Tyrone lads in front of me who kept saying “not sure how we got that” after a number of frees.

how about the free he gave for advantage but didn’t put his hand up to call advantage- let the play continue, wide kicked and he brings it back for some unknown infringement? Bearing in mind we lost by a single point this and other egregious decisions are so hard to take for a group of young lads who put in some shift, especially at the back.

Fair enough. But with such fine margins it is important to realise that playing against the ref didn’t help.

given how good Lovett was today, I was surprised we didn’t try to get the ball to him more in the second half. He kicked three from play and we got three scores from frees he won. Two lovely scores from Madden at the end too.

but the wides in the first half cost us.

Couldn't be prouder of them lads, yes young lads make mistakes and take wrong decisions but they left everything that they had on the pitch.

I've been to a lot of games over the years but that was one of the most biased performances (biased as opposed to poor) I've ever seen from a referee. Some of it was just unbelievable and even Tyrone Gaels around me were embarrassed by the calls they got while Cavan lads were getting mauled and frees being given against them. I hope we never see that man given a match of any consequence again.

• Advertisement

It was absolutely shocking. I don’t know when I’ve seen worse. I’ve seen bad calls but I don’t know if I’ve seen an inter county game where a ref essentially decided to back one team the whole game.

those lads did us proud but I can’t help feeling for them that after all that effort to be denied by an absolutely shocking referee.

Nobody suggested that about the referee but that's taking it too far... He was terrible and likely cost us the game but bringing up stuff like that is not fair and not one bit nice

For what it's worth we were not helped by ourselves our obsession with carrying the ball into the tackle between the 45s and trying to get handpasses away at wrong times ultimately cost us along with our shooting

Very very disappointed but I can't say the better team lost, Tyrone were more clinical and a free taker that was on form didn't do them any harm

Anyway on to the task in hand today hopefully we'll put down a marker with a comprehensive win

Unless you’re alleging that he was bribed by Tyrone, what is the relevance of that article?

As other posters have alluded to, you’re reaching “keyboard warrior” status with your online searching now.

How many frees did we miss in the game? How many did Tyrone miss?

i think Throne missed at least 4 frees during the match. I think we missed one- albeit at such a crucial stage. So no, that’s not what cost us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

Tyrone got kickable frees for minimal contact while we couldn't buy one for most of the game. The couple of times he blew us for overcarrying aswell....

It's was massed defences on both sides, both teams gave ball away and made wrong decisions. Contact is part of the game, you avoid it if you can but at underage facing 14 men inside the scoring zone you cannot avoid contact. Only one team had the referee in their pocket though and that was the difference in the end.

We certainly missed more than one free.

Having rewatched the first 40 minutes of the game this morning, is it because Martin McHugh brought us the success in 97 with a Donegal style hand passing game but why don’t we kick more? Other than Daragh Lovett kicking a score, no Cavan player kicked the ball until 3 minutes into the game when Niall Carolan kicked a ball and, surprise, surprise, we got another score off it.

I’m not one of the lump it in brigade (Cavan didn’t even tend to kick the ball when out the pitch last night) but the ball moves quicker than any player. Tyrone got their scores off having a lot less possession because they kicked the ball up the pitch so they could progress at speed.

In the second half, our endless handpassing meant they just pushed right up on us and swallowed us up and there didn’t appear to be a plan B. I’d also ask why Daire Madden wasn’t on the pitch earlier.

Tired of hearing whingeing about the referee. We had 6 points at half time. 8 points after 33 minutes and finished the game with ten. You win very few games scoring 2 points in the last 30 mins (27 plus 3 additional).

Tyrone didn't get scores because they kicked it in. They got scores because of handy frees. Their kicking was awful and hoofed it in and it just came out. As for people saying about the referee and what he was convicted of probably has nothing to do with last night, it doesn't but someone with such a conviction should not be an intercounty referee as there would always be question marks over their integrity and character.

Any word on the starting 15 for today?

• Advertisement

Even if it did pop up, what relevance has it to the game? None whatsoever. Clutching at straws for excuses is about it. I’m not the only poster has stated that either.

And would you see those shortcomings as the players themselves so you were happy with all the decisions made along the line and the tactics?

Talk to anyone on the U20 panel re what you call “unfounded scour”. They will confirm it is correct. May I ask what information you have to label it this?

Advertisement