Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Replacing website

• 24-06-2015 7:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭

First of all I'll have to tell you that I don't have a clue about any of this so forgive the basic knowledge of mine.

I paid a company to develop and design a website for me last year. This year I wanted to re-design it so I paid someone to do that. The person who made a re-design did a very good job, I'm very happy with it. The thing is this person hasn't got a lot of experience with web design.
    She started from scratch on wordpress, she used content provided by me. It's fully completed and all that but we now don't know how to replace the old website with the new one. The original website was done on wordpress also.
    I've asked the original company about passwords and all that sort of thing and done a lot of googling. Following all this I have filezilla installed and the new design uploaded onto it. I think it's the coding file that I've uploaded, it's basically a very long list of words and things that makes no sense. So I have the original website and the new one on filezilla.
    What I want to know is what do I do now? How do I replace one with the other? Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Don't poke about with Filezilla if you don't know what you're doing, you could make a real mess.

How the hell did your designer make a site without knowing how to install it elsewhere...?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭noway12345

Don't poke about with Filezilla if you don't know what you're doing, you could make a real mess.

How the hell did your designer make a site without knowing how to install it elsewhere...?

They've never done it before, they do design in other areas. I'm happy with the job they've done it's just getting it to replace the old one that's the problem.

There's no simple way of doing this on filezilla? Just replace the old folder with the new one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

No.

Get some one with experience to so it for you. There are a few bits which could be trickier than you might think eg. you might not be able to simply replace the domain names in the database with a regular editor. And then there's stuff like setting up redirects from your old pages to the new ones and many other factors.

No, not that simple because it's database driven.

You need to copy the current theme's folder from one site (from wp-content/themes/new-theme-name) to the other with Filezilla (If the site uses a child theme, you'll also need the parent copied too). You'll probably also need all of the theme's settings, and any plugins that were used moved across too. Some themes are very simple and allow settings export, others don't.

You may also need to export all of the posts, pages and images (Wordpress > tools > export) and import on the new. I assume you have admin login and passwords for both sites?

Make sure you have a database and file backup before attempting any of this. Do you have access to your hosting control panel?

EDIT: As tricky D says above, it's not something I'd attempt without being prepared for a proper f-up (I have made some serous messes, but learned from them :)

I don't have a ****ing clue what you two are talking about. :D

I've been trying to backup files here just in case I make a mess but I think I'll just stop now. Who can I get to do this for me and for how much?

• Advertisement

noway12345 wrote: »

I've been trying to backup files here just in case I make a mess but I think I'll just stop now. Who can I get to do this for me and for how much?

Well, in theory, your designer would learn how to do all of this before having a go at making a site. :pac:

Well, in theory, your designer would learn how to do all of this before having a go at making a site. :pac:

:D Well that would have worked out great but I don't think they're going to learn it now!

I have what I think is the coding of the new site. It starts with this crap: -- phpMyAdmin SQL Dump
    -- version 4.3.11
    -- http://www.phpmyadmin.net
    --
    -- Host: 127.0.0.1
    -- Generation Time: Jun 20, 2015 at 11:46 PM

And continues on for a long time with more and more crap. Can this be used to transfer the new site over to replace the old one?
    I really don't have a clue, I've been looking up youtube videos on how you do this stuff, crazy shenanigans altogether.

Post in the Work Wanted Superthread

For someone who knows their WordPress it's fairly straightforward and no more than 2 hours IF it goes smoothly. (Took me around an hour for a small WP site a few weeks ago)

tricky D wrote: »
    Post in the Work Wanted Superthread

For someone who knows their WordPress it's fairly straightforward and no more than 2 hours if it goes smoothly. (Took me around an hour for a small WP site a few weeks ago)

I just did that right before you posted!!!!!! Maybe I'm not as dumb as I seem after all. :D

:D Well that would have worked out great but I don't think they're going to learn it now!

I have what I think is the coding of the new site. It starts with this crap: -- phpMyAdmin SQL Dump
    -- version 4.3.11
    -- http://www.phpmyadmin.net
    --
    -- Host: 127.0.0.1
    -- Generation Time: Jun 20, 2015 at 11:46 PM

And continues on for a long time with more and more crap. Can this be used to transfer the new site over to replace the old one?
    I really don't have a clue, I've been looking up youtube videos on how you do this stuff, crazy shenanigans altogether.

That's the database. The bit that'll do the most damage if you get it wrong. :)

• Advertisement

Betcha the URLs are ugly.

That's the database. The bit that'll do the most damage if you get it wrong. :)

Oh right, better not touch that so. Can the database be swaped with the original one. No way you can just right click and cut the old one and then copy and paste this new one? No???? :D

tricky D wrote: »
    Betcha the URLs are ugly.

:mad: Say it to my face.

Oh right, better not touch that so. Can the database be swaped with the original one. No way you can just right click and cut the old one and then copy and paste this new one? No???? :D

You could import the entire database. ...but some bits will still need to be changed manually, and you need to know exactly where and what.

You will still also need to transfer the theme and image files/photos.

You could import the entire database. ...but some bits will still need to be changed manually, and you need to know exactly where and what.

You will still also need to transfer the theme and image files/photos.

It's a new theme and we're using mostly new images also. Don't know if that makes a difference. I've had a pm from one person anyway so I'll see if they can help me. It's fairly obvious that I need it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Hi,
    I am a wee bit unclear as to what you are trying to achieve here.
    You have an old Wordpress site and you also have a new wordpress site, but with different content in each - am I right?
    Which site is live at the moment and which site do you want to be live?
    Do you want to move content i.e. posts/pages from the old site to the new, or simply put the new one live and forget about the old one (easiest option)
    Where are the 2 sites hosted?
    Do you have access to the hosting control panel?
    This may be very sortable.

ArtyM wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am a wee bit unclear as to what you are trying to achieve here.
    You have an old Wordpress site and you also have a new wordpress site, but with different content in each - am I right?
    Which site is live at the moment and which site do you want to be live?
    Do you want to move content i.e. posts/pages from the old site to the new, or simply put the new one live and forget about the old one (easiest option)
    Where are the 2 sites hosted?
    Do you have access to the hosting control panel?
    This may be very sortable.

Hi,

Yes, 2 wordpress sites with different themes and mostly different content.
    The old one is live now and I want the new one to replace it.
    The old one has the name of my business as the website address, email etc, I bought all this with the original design and developer people.
    The web developers sorted out all the hosting stuff, I don't have access to that I don't think.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Thanks,
    So basically you just need your domainname to point to a new location.

What is your relationship with the people who are hosting your original site - I ask because if you are on good terms this could be easily sorted.

Your new site can be backed up, downloaded, exported and sent to them and with a slight adjustment on the hosting side you would be up and running without any major interruption very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,486 ✭✭✭daymobrew

ArtyM wrote: »
    So basically you just need your domainname to point to a new location.
    No. Copying content from staging site to live site is what is needed. OP posted in Work Wanted Superthread and has a PM from someone who might do it.

Advertisement