Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[CoD Black Ops 2] News and Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I am underwhelmed but I still retain an underlying hope that it will turn out good:pac:

NasaOne has given his summary of it:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I've gotta say, I was waiting for that trailer to drop so I could start bitching about how it's all more of the same, and how they need to change the formula. I'm pleasantly surprised by the fact that I now do not have to do that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Looks fine to me... what were people expecting ? Crysis graphics ? A new super engine ?

Really would make no sense developing a brand new engine for the last game of this generation, would take much longer than the year or so they get to develop !

Glad they're trying something new with the futuristic approach, better than rehashing the same thing over and over (Like IW have done for their last 3 games). Its bound to be better than the cluster**** that is MW3 anyway !

• Registered Users Posts: 53,823 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What's the games name that the original cod design are working on again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

It's a glorified map pack with a €60 premium. I despair at people lapping this stuff up. It's fair enough to like these games (after all, there's no accounting for taste :p) but to buy essentially the same game year in, year out is depressing.

BLOPS and MW3 are completely different...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

IPAM wrote: »
    BLOPS and MW3 are completely different...

The first Black Ops tasted similar to MW3 to me. Not the same, but similar. Kinda like Pepsi and Coke. This, on the other hand, looks like Dr. Pepper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭_Gawd_

Headshot wrote: »
    What's the games name that the original cod design are working on again?

You mean the original Infinity Ward, Zampella and West?

They haven't released any info on it yet but thanks for reminding me...BLOPS2 is going head on with Respawn Entertainment! :eek:

Miss these guys... :(

591372300.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

The graphics do seem significantly worse than the previous games.

The whole future warfare thing will either be the kick up the arse the series needs or the end of it. As someones who's a big fan of both WAW and BLOPS, I've got to say my expectations have gone down in a big way from that trailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

That looks awesome :D horse riding bit reminds me of uncharted 3 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,955 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The graphics do seem significantly worse than the previous games.

The whole future warfare thing will either be the kick up the arse the series needs or the end of it. As someones who's a big fan of both WAW and BLOPS, I've got to say my expectations have gone down in a big way from that trailer.

Marketing genius = under promise, over deliver...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Whats that now Six games in Six years all basically using the same engine from 2006?

Jez when will people learn and demand some new innovation.

All 5 after MW1 could have been released as DLC.... the single player modes are useless in FPS these days so you're paying for online maps.

They use the same engine but each iteration adds more features - a lot of games do this, just most not as high profile as the COD series - COD4 and MW3 are vastly different in what they can achieve, for example. Am I actually the only person that doesn't have a problem with the engine, incidentally? It feels like people are whining about it just to have something to whine about. MW3, for example, is a much better looking game than Modern Warfare; and people seem to forget that key to the series is it's 60fps rate - what other engine looks that good and offers such fluidity?

I actually buy Call of Duty for the single player, and the single player exclusively. They're always a roller coaster from start to finish of brainless action, massive set pieces and movie-like scripting - they're a blast. Usually I spend about 10 hours playing through them on my chosen difficulty, and given the entertainment they provide me, I consider it money well spent before I even touch the additions of online and spec-ops play - it's a safe purchase, something I can't say about most games.

The Call of Duty franchise is the best selling, with each sequel outselling the predecessor, in history, and for a good reason. Despite the bizarre notions propagated around here of brainless idiots rushing out to buy any old shite, Call of Duty is an excellent franchise, and having bought every single game since the original on the PC, not a single one has delivered anything less than a stellar experience both online and off or disappointed me. Most - and most is a key word here because nothing can please everybody - people feel the same.

Same game year in year out? Sorry, but no. They're not, and never have been. I actually think that the people who make these claims, are actually people who don't really play the games. I'm not even the biggest COD fan; I'm more of a Halo player. But to deny the series excellence, and to reduce it to 'glorified map packs' is very dismissive of what each game offers - to players both online, and offline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

The trailer looks good. Some parts remind me of Perfect Dark. Really wasn't expecting them to go down this route, thought they would just continue with the Cold War era. I wonder will there be any flashback levels featuring Mason and using old weapons?

edit: ah, cloud493 just answered my question. And there'll be sandbox elements too? Deadly.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

That looks like a load of balls to me.

Will not be ordering this.

Fast forward to november.

I CAN'T BELIEVE I BOUGHT THIS GAME! IT SUCKS!

COD is like an abusive husband at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just listening to the Giant Bombcast podcast about Black Ops 2. These are guys that have shown a distain for the series in the past but having seen it, are really excited about it and think it's going to be a bit of a departure for the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

I want them to make another world at war, my favourite COD to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,955 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

That looks like a load of balls to me.

Will not be ordering this.

Fast forward to november.

I CAN'T BELIEVE I BOUGHT THIS GAME! IT SUCKS!

COD is like an abusive husband at this point.

But...

but...

He can change!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

joshrogan wrote: »
    I want them to make another world at war, my favourite COD to date.

haha, think you'll be waiting a while for that, especially if this one ends up a bigger success than MW3

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I think I missed the time travel ending from in the first black ops :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

That trailer looks interesting tbh. CoD's aren't my thing, I'm far more interested in the sort of gameplay that Battlefield or Tribes offers - teamwork and everyone doing their bit. Most online CoD I've ever seen is "pickup" and the game allows a lot more "one man army" stuff than other team based shooters. That's a preference thing - I don't think anyone who thinks otherwise is in any way, shape or form wrong because there is a whole universe of difference between what CoD is and what Tribes is :)

But for all the people that want innovation - I saw what looked to me like a mix of Terminator (man vs machines) and Future Soldier and elements of 2142 and that's pretty cool. It's too early to tell if the multi-player will be more of the same with "press X to win" perks and all the rest. I'm not paying someone €60 for a 7 or 8 hour campaign and the same old basic multi-player experience but I suppose if I were more of a fan of this sort of multi-player, I'd be all over this.

To address some points:

Engine - same engine tweaked and re-visited to squeeze the most out of it - that's cool no beef with that, Lots of people do lots of things with "older" engines (Source is a modified variant of the Quake 2 Engine if you're interested in talking about old tech). How old is Unreal Engine 3 (I just checked, first games with it came out 6 years ago)? That's still the basis of a lot of excellent looking games. What a lot of PC gamers like me dislike about this franchise is that its primary market is consoles and therefore the tech behind it is being deliberately hobbled by the fact that it has to work with such comparatively ancient tech. 60FPS? Come back to me when it's doing 120 and then I'll be impressed - it's SUPPOSED to run at 60FPS so you can sync with a basic screen and get best results. We spend more money on a graphics card than consolers do on their entire hardware spend and we expect to see things that justify that spend pushing our machine hard and looking fraking awesome at super hi-res etc. We're tech perverts that way :p:D

Map Packs - we all remember that these sorts of things used to be community driven and free. Now they're as big a money maker as the game itself. That's disappointing considering the costs of running the multiplayer have plummeted (P2P connections and not dedicated servers) and since modding communities around games were a good thing for gaming. It kept people interested beyond being a consumer, it made for smarter fans who would offer really solid feedback and suggestions and it lead to the creation of games like Counter Strike (and let's not forget, 1.6 and CSS are still 2 of the biggest multiplayer games of all time and are still being played professionally). Halo's Forge stuff has been a great step to bring those ideas back, you see some fantastic stuff created in there with what is a relatively limited, but simple to use toolset.

Annoyance and Jealousy - PC gamers never had the mainstream impact that the Console CoD generation has and the people in charge seem to have given a very definite 2 fingers to the player base that made their franchise a name to be reckoned with in the gaming world because they knew that the less savy and less mature (I don't mean the people, I mean the "business" side of things) market meant there were more exploits to be made and more easy money to cash in on. The "Daves" of the world who never knew that there was online gaming before he got an XBox with FIFA and CoD don't know the annoyance and stress that those of us who set the bar for gaming in the PC world now feel to see all our time and effort and support for these companies has largely been forgotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

I forgot that complaining about the fact that we'd rather see a decent, well-made game which requires time and effort to build from the ground up instead of the same lazy, copy pasted annual cookie cutter shooter from Activision equates to whining. :rolleyes:

It's ok we all forget things from time to time, but I guess if you're going to predict the future with such accuracy then something has gotta give, right?

So having listened through the Bombcast piece, there’s a lot of interesting stuff in there.

Multiple decisions to be made, that effect how the story unfolds. On-battlefield choices in different locations that make an impact into the story. There will be multiple endings.

RTS-lite elements where you take control of an entire SEAL team. You can pull out to an ‘overwatch’ mode where you direct or take control of them.

Aeriel dog-fighting missions.

New, much more tactical multi-player mode called Strikeforce.

Most important part though – Zombie mode is back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Too funny!

Untitled-35.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,444 ✭✭✭✭klose

If it has zombies imma buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

It's starts off in the 80's and ends up in 2025 with Alex masons son David, heard someone named it "Call of Micheal Bay Black Robot 2"

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I am just wondering about one thing:

Cod elite? Will this have cod elite subscription too? Will one sub work for all cod games or you will have subs for each cod.
    When I heard cod has subscription thing, I was sure they want to get more then 1 year out of it. As we know the biggest cod killer is next cod. So wtf will happen with mw3 now? Surely everyone will jump on new ship.

Just food for thought.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

So having listened through the Bombcast piece, there’s a lot of interesting stuff in there.

Multiple decisions to be made, that effect how the story unfolds. On-battlefield choices in different locations that make an impact into the story. There will be multiple endings.

RTS-lite elements where you take control of an entire SEAL team. You can pull out to an ‘overwatch’ mode where you direct or take control of them.

Aeriel dog-fighting missions.

New, much more tactical multi-player mode called Strikeforce.

Most important part though – Zombie mode is back.

Hmm, that actually sounds interesting. Might actually bother with this one if these features are done well.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

You know what I meant by the "Daves" right - refers back to a Eurogamer piece where the author's Brother in Law (named Dave) was the sort of game "consumer" who laps all this nonsense up and just figures its how it works rather than questioning it. Caused quite a stir at the time...

Anyway, thanks to super_furry for the summary of the podcast, really nice to see that the franchise is trying to make some genuine changes to silence the nay-sayers. Let's hope the mob doesn't start demanding a new ending to the campaign because it's not what they wanted :p

Since I'm here, I did find myself wondering if this was going to have circular design too - any mention of that in the podcast? :D

• Advertisement

I am just wondering about one thing:

Cod elite? Will this have cod elite subscription too? Will one sub work for all cod games or you will have subs for each cod.
    When I heard cod has subscription thing, I was sure they want to get more then 1 year out of it. As we know the biggest cod killer is next cod. So wtf will happen with mw3 now? Surely everyone will jump on new ship.

Just food for thought.

The CoD Elite subscription is pretty much you paying up front for the DLC that will be released over the lifespan of the game. Same thing to Gears of War 3's season pass, with a few added incentives - exclusive competitions and stat stuff. So I'm sure that it'll be the exact same with Black Ops 2 - you're paying for all the DLC up front, at a significant discount.

Advertisement