Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dan Bars, Wham bars etc

• 03-01-2010 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭

Just dropped down for the paper and couldn't help notice the piles of children's bars on the shelves

Couldn't help throwing a few Dan's, Wham's and indeed even Roy of the Rovers bars on the counter :D

Still taste good, but are a bit smaller and a bit more expensive than when I used to spend my pocket money on them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Aye, Cowan's had discontinued Dan Bar's for a while but glad to see them back. Been chewin' 'em non-stop since. :D

desperate_dan_bar.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Don't think my teeth would take 'em now, probably because I ate too many as a kid.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

Heaven..........I still buy these for myself

strawberry_refresher_bar.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

mmm roy of the rovers bar nyom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Mmmm. My mouth is watering. I got a packet of new Wham sweets the other day. They were really sugary jelly belt things. Not as nice as original wham though.

Anyone remember Gargoyle bars? They were like green Dan bars. I wish they were still here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

WindSock wrote: »
    Mmmm. My mouth is watering. I got a packet of new Wham sweets the other day. They were really sugary jelly belt things. Not as nice as original wham though.

Anyone remember Gargoyle bars? They were like green Dan bars. I wish they were still here.

I remember them,they were serious nyomage :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,300 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

my favourite was the Battle of the Planets bars, they came in different flavours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Do you remember there used to be these great chewie bars. They were much shorter than dan bars etc, but about twice with width.

They came in mint and cola flavors. I miss them :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Danco

oeb wrote: »
    Do you remember there used to be these great chewie bars. They were much shorter than dan bars etc, but about twice with width.

They came in mint and cola flavors. I miss them :(

Woppas! They were delicious, and a steal at 5p!

Mmmm. Woppas were good. The red one was cola and the green was peppermint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭pooch90

Check out keepitsweet.co.uk for all the best retro sweets. Heaven! there's loads of retro sweet websites in UK but most are an absolute rip off when it comes to the delivery charges. They have the majority of sweets you'd remember including the ones you'd buy a quarter of years ago-cola cubes, sweet peanuts, all the chewy ones. Yum YUm YUM- no wonder i'm a fat bitch!!

pooch90 wrote: »
    Check out keepitsweet.co.uk for all the best retro sweets.

OMG YUM! :pac:

Candy whistles and cola pips!

http://www.keepitsweet.co.uk/catalog/index.php/cPath/48

I KNOW!! plus all the bags are £1 so it's hard to persuade yourself not to buy them! There are better websites with a greater selection www.aquarterof.co.uk has basically everything but wanted something like £25 to deliver to Ireland-feck off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 miss hell

What about Dennis the Menace bars? I think they must be responsible for my love of all things red and black.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

What about the free bars we used get as kids in the comics back in the eighties,.. anyone remember them.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Wow, Whoppas, I'd completely forgotten about those. I couldn't decide which flavour I liked more, which is odd, because I hated anything even remotely minty as a kid.

I also miss Postman Pat and Applejack penny sweets. Which are kinda the same, but smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

wow loved dan bars... along with stinger bars, care bear bars and those he-man red and green jelly mould things (any one remember them?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭AllInOne

Does anyone remember these bars called Top Tens or Big Times or something?? They had like nougat in them I think...I can't remember them properly at all now, I just remember they used to be dee-lish!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Wow, Woppa bars had totally erased themselves from my memory. Thank you for reminding me of them. Jesus they were both lovely, the mint one was addictive. So hard to tear into them with your teeth though, i can remember losing one to them when i was 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

cola cow bars were my particular vice,ooh and blackjack bars and macaroon bars,and the mini bottles of score cola which were basically liquid sugar!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

miss hell wrote: »
    What about Dennis the Menace bars? I think they must be responsible for my love of all things red and black.

I recall they were rebranded at some stage when I guess they lost the licence, I think they may have actually been called "Red & Black" or something like that.

Used to like Woppas back in the day, I assume they're not around any more? Frosties were great too, but they became a good bit smaller after they stopped being 10p :mad:

I've noticed Caramacs are back (in Tesco), not sure if they ever disappeared though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I remember those He-Man bars with the yellowy green fondant in, they were pretty gross though.

Anyone here remember Big Bars? They were 5p each and you could get them in milk or white chocolate. They were horrible though, really sugary and artificial tasting:(

Spotted Klipso bars in my local shop during the week. First time I've seem them in years. They're lovely but the toffee in them is rock hard. The only way to eat them is to stick em in the freezer for a couple of hours and break them up into little pieces.

Also does anyone remember Monkey bars? They were Irish-made diamond shaped chocolate bars packed with peanuts. They were bloody gorgeous:)

Cadbury should also bring back Secret bars, they were lovely. They were whipped chocolate bars filled with choc mousse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

I know they're not bars, but Fizzle Sticks anyone? I fuppin loved 'em, used to spend whatever cash the folks'd give me on 'em whenever they got them into the shop.

They don't exist anymore. Probably caused cancer or syphillis or something.

AllInOne wrote: »
    Does anyone remember these bars called Top Tens or Big Times or something?? They had like nougat in them I think...I can't remember them properly at all now, I just remember they used to be dee-lish!

were they the bars that had the yellow wrapper with a big black clock on it? toffee covered in cheap chocolate??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

He-Man bars were to die for! The sweet filling was yum yum! Are they still around?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭katkin

AllInOne wrote: »

Thanks for the memory! They were in a yellow wrapper and there was a picture of a clockface on it, were they called Big Times, or were they just a Time Bar

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

grenache wrote: »
    He-Man bars were to die for! The sweet filling was yum yum! Are they still around?

Nope haven't seen them... think they only really lasted for a short time while the cartoon was popular

katkin wrote: »
    Thanks for the memory! They were in a yellow wrapper and there was a picture of a clockface on it, were they called Big Times, or were they just a Time Bar

have a feeling they were the Big Time(s).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

katkin wrote: »

Yep, Big Time or as I used to call them, the loose tooth puller! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭lmahoney79

anyone remember the bars that had toffee on one side and liqourice on the other....they were bloomin gorgeous!

Advertisement