Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.

GoHardOrGoHome 2: Go Harder

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

So despite work pressures I managed to put together a decent week made up of very short manageable runs!

Good stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Excellent stuff Gohard, solid week.

Also good to see you were disappointed with the number of people who caught us on the bike in Achill.

While I was happy with my performance on the bike that day, it was a bit of a head wrecker to get caught, after opening a decent sized gap judging by the slips.

Plan is to work on the bike hard this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Thanks Warren. Yes, have to work on the bike. I've never done any bike training so it's obvious why my times haven't improved. Was talking to PeterX recently and he was saying that if you can go out for a couple of long spins 2-4 hours at the weekend that will take care of the majority of your bike fitness. My problem is that I do no bike training and then turn up to a race and have to try to race hard.

Ah well. Hopefully it'll happen this year. Dying to get out on the mountain bike in Ticknock for some night biking.

Unforunately coming down with something. Could feel a sore throat coming on towards the end of work today. Had to finish something late tonight. Will see how I feel in the morning. May have to end my streak of 9 days. Lots of vitamin c and hot drinks. Should be alright!

Monday 9.2k (commute)
    Tuesday 9.2k (commute)

both at approx 4:50/k

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iamjenko

Unforunately coming down with something. Could feel a sore throat coming on towards the end of work today. Had to finish something late tonight. Will see how I feel in the morning. May have to end my streak of 9 days. Lots of vitamin c and hot drinks. Should be alright!

both at approx 4:50/k

You'll be grand, GoHard, jog it off!!

iamjenko wrote: »
    You'll be grand, GoHard, jog it off!!

Ha! Had to take yesterday off. Kinda. Ability to work from home can be a curse. Did spend a lot of time in bed and only slightly sick of lemon, ginger and honey drinks.

Didn't run yesterday, won't run today but hopefully good to go on Friday.

My sister is doing her first marathon in Dublin on Monday so I'd like to be able to run with her for a few miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iamjenko

Ah, well hope you are up and running for that anyway, DCM is always a great occasion!

iamjenko wrote: »
    Ah, well hope you are up and running for that anyway, DCM is always a great occasion!

Thanks iamjenko. Didn't think I'd be up for more than a mile or two but ended up doing 9 or so giving out jellies. 'Twas good craic!

Total for last week was 21.45 kilometres, 1:49:39 split over 5 runs @5:07/k average pace.

Was sick from Wednesday to Saturday last week and did a short 4k jog in Jenkinstown in Kilkenny.

Hopefully better this week.

Right, didn't want another half-assed attempt at training to fizzle out embarrassingly after only one week of training.

Quick update:

Came back from skiing holidays and have run every day since 10th January.

Average per day has been 10.6k with low of 4k and high of 18k (did a double).

Year to date is 394 kilometres, cycling is poor with 182 kilometres this year and swimming was going great but I haven't been to the pool in 10 days. Total is 9.7k. Enjoying it all and just trying to work it around my work schedule.

Great run tonight of 12k with the following splits

Kilometre|Split
    1 |5:20.9
    2 |5:02.5
    3 |5:06.9
    4 |4:32.8
    5 |4:25.0
    6 |4:15.1
    7 |3:58.8
    8 |3:52.9
    9 |3:53.4
    10 |3:45.8
    11 |4:45.3
    12 |3:55.2

Kilometres 7,8,9 felt nice and fast. There was a bit of downhill at kilometre 10 which made it easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Did Annagh Hill (IMRA race) last weekend which was stupendous fun. Absolutely loved the descents and felt quite good on them. Overtook some people who had clawed past me on the flats and the uphills. Felt very weak on the uphills and I haven't been doing any hilly runs so that makes sense. Thanks Donothoponpop. Wonderful, wonderful race. Really enjoyed it. Will hopefully get around to doing a race report.

Kilometre|Split
    1 |5:20.9
    2 |5:02.5
    3 |5:06.9
    4 |4:32.8
    5 |4:25.0
    6 |4:15.1
    7 |3:58.8
    8 |3:52.9
    9 |3:53.4
    10 |3:45.8
    11 |4:45.3
    12 |3:55.2

Kilometres 7,8,9 felt nice and fast. There was a bit of downhill at kilometre 10 which made it easier.

Thanks! :D
    Really glad you enjoyed it, sure stick a report up on the imra site while its still in memory, the more the merrier. Your sprint finish with Alan was a sight to behold, perfect example of two runners giving it everything, one upping his game, and the other somehow finding reserves to respond.

Something suspect with those splits though- that looks very fast for the initial climb, and you must have been sucking diesel on the return ascent... but mostly I'd question those final k splits for a 9.6k race;)

Edit: Moved this from the previous post. The splits were for the after work run I did with Bazman.

Did Annagh Hill (IMRA race) last weekend which was stupendous fun. Absolutely loved the descents and felt quite good on them. Overtook some people who had clawed past me on the flats and the uphills. Felt very weak on the uphills and I haven't been doing any hilly runs so that makes sense. Thanks Donothoponpop. Wonderful, wonderful race. Really enjoyed it. Will hopefully get around to doing a race report.

Today I didn't run. :(

I've ran every day since January 10th. 50 days.

Did a short run on Monday night and felt didn't warm up at all. Felt a bit shivery. Short run into work on Tuesday morning. Didn't feel well at all. Left work early and got the bus home (I NEVER get the bus home!).

Just feel incredibly flat.

I could have done a run tonight but that would be running for the sake of the streak. I'm better off taking a few days off and getting over whatever this is.

Still longest streak ever! Happy with that. :D