Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Iron Man 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Galvasean wrote: »
    I haven't seen Iron Man 2 so can anybody tell me why War machine doesn't feature in the Avengers?

was wondering that too, prob enough characters as there was and didnt need another one thrown in at the last minute for no reason, or he's off doing something for the air force someplace. I still dont buy Don Cheadle in the role, Terrence Howard was a much better choice, didnt he price himself out of IM2 or something? I rewatched it before thr Avengers and its not as a bad as people make it out to be, its got some cool moments. Stark and Rhodie battering each other around to the strains of Daft Punk is great :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I haven't seen Iron Man 2 so can anybody tell me why War machine doesn't feature in the Avengers?

War Machine was a terrible addition to IM2. Rhodey was a bland character and WM just acted as another IM. Super glad he wasn't in TA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Gbear wrote: »
    Budget perhaps? Or cluttering too many characters in? They cut Natalie Portman, Captain America's love interest (although she'd be in her 90's at this stage :pac:) as well as the warriors 3, odin, blablabla.

Or maybe they realised the horrible mistake they made in casting Don Cheadle? :p

Natalie Portman was my.... er I mean Thor's love interest :p

I'd say it was a mix of budget constraints and too much stuff already crammed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,598 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I assume you're alluding to the Human Torch being Captain America ?
    Failed to notice this. Mind is now blown. But those Fantastic Four movies were completely **** anyway, so it's all good.

They talked about not having many extras in Avengers largely because of how that might screw up individual movie sequels (ie. Thor doesn't see Portman again, thereby not screwing up a plotline for Thor 2, etc)

Besides War Machine is a West Coast avenger...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The Iron Man films were set in LA I think. Avengers was New York, in Stark's new building. So chances are, War Machine was in LA when the Avengers sh*t went down in New York.

I definitely preferred Cheadle to Howard in the Iron Man films, but they still could have gotten someone better for the role like Idris Elba (kinda wasted as Heimdall, though he was pretty cool in Thor)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

So, war Machine spin-off movie to show what the hell he was doing during Avengers? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Probably the least of all the Avengers film's I look forward to after the, IMO, very poor Iron Man 2. RDJ is great as him, but sometimes it can be too much, felt like I was watching a comedy film with some extra parts about men in metal suits.

Hopefully 3 can be a lot better though.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,598 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Should hopefully be. I know they're dropping Favreau as the director. He will Produce though.
    THR: So you’re producing Iron Man 3. That’s filming soon. What’s the status?

Favreau: Yeah, down in Wilmington, it’s starting to shoot in a couple weeks. I was just talking to Shane Black and Downey and look, I think it’s a really smart way to go. After Avengers, you want to start with something really bold and inspired, and if you’ve ever seen Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, you’ve seen that when Downey and Shane get together, interesting and unexpected things happen. I’m happy to see that it’s taking a bit of a tonal shift from The Avengers and it’s going to be something completely different and exciting, and I’m happy to be a part of it.

THR: What kind of tonal shift? Darker?

Favreau: No, just a little bit more offbeat, I’d say. Shane and Robert definitely have an original point of view and an original take on the character, and I think it delves deeper into what makes Tony Stark tick and plays on the unexpected original unpredictable quality of the character that I think fans gravitate to.

THR: Are you going to be involved on a daily basis?

Favreau: I’ll be very involved on that one. I’ve already been talking to them and I feel a tremendous connection to that franchise and that character, and I’m very proud to see it moving forward in a way that re-enforces that story.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/jon-favreau-talks-iron-man-3-revolution-324003

It would be nice of them to touch on the other human sides of Tony Stark. The guy is an alcoholic, and this isn't really touched on very well in the first 2 movies whatsoever. At least not to the point where it's acknowledged as a major character flaw. Even in Avengers he's piloting the Iron Man while at least mildly inebriated. It's the one thing I am starting to dislike about his movie portrayals, Stark is just far too nonchalant about it, while his comic persona struggles with it a lot, and gave up the juice years ago. Every once in a while he gets shown at a local AA meeting, slurping cheap coffee from Styrofoam and telling homeless people about his problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,954 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

James Badge Dale (HBO’s The Pacific, AMC’s Rubicon) has signed onto Iron Man 3 to play
    villain Eric Savin, who in Marvel Comics lore becomes a cyborg called Coldblood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    James Badge Dale (HBO’s The Pacific, AMC’s Rubicon) has signed onto Iron Man 3 to play
    villain Eric Savin, who in Marvel Comics lore becomes a cyborg called Coldblood
    And is also somehow sporting this lil number in the new film...
    .instead of Norman Osborn, i curse the fact that marvel dont own all their characters anymore :/

Villain

Villain without mask
    Though i will admit when i glanced at that one i thought it was Chris Evans...which would prob be less confusing than havin Salvin as technically two villains
    Article

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,133 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Favreau has signed on to play Happy Hogan again afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

first photo from set:

Mh6ft.jpg

^ thats pretty cool having all the different mk suits on show, is the far right one the Avengers suit?

Shooting already!? Amazing!

Shooting already!? Amazing!

Shane Black directing as well, his writing and RDJ just works, see Kiss Kiss Bang Bang for proof :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,133 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Its great we only have to wait another year for another marvel movie. How big could this turn out to be after Avengers' success? Iron Man was already their most bankable hero.

Yeah, they worked amazingly together in KKBB. I'm glad he's taken over. I like Favreau but he messed up the 3rd act in both Iron Man movies so far. Fresh blood!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 seanman

I must say..I didint enjoy the first two movies :) but iron man in the avengers was outstanding :)...So its looking good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

krudler wrote: »
    ^ thats pretty cool having all the different mk suits on show, is the far right one the Avengers suit?

Thats the 1 from the suitcase in Iron Man 2.

Thats the 1 from the suitcase in Iron Man 2.

Scroll to the right to see the suit krudler was asking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Scroll to the right to see the suit krudler was asking about.

Stupid scroll bar -_-

I'd forgotten about that scene in the Avengers where the suit assembles itself around him as he's falling, that was very cool.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So their bringing in yet another guy in an Iron Man suit; seriously? Does the Iron Man comic simply lack decent antagonists that they keep continually bringing in guys in mecha-suits as opponents?

pixelburp wrote: »
    So their bringing in yet another guy in an Iron Man suit; seriously? Does the Iron Man comic simply lack decent antagonists that they keep continually bringing in guys in mecha-suits as opponents?

Quite a lot of them seem to follow that template if I'm not mistaken, although i wouldn't be all that up on Iron Man's rogue's gallery. TBH I think its time they braught in The Mandarin and all that, he has a lot of "magical" based foes I think, which they could easily bring in now that Asgard is accapetable in the universe.

Re the amour on display, I'd quite like to see him get to use one of his more heavy duty suits in this, like say the Hulkbuster armour:

hulk-ironman.jpg

its real comic nerd stuff this time though, basically Green Goblin Iron Man, dunno how its going to work with Sony probably owning the Oscorp name, or do they? sigh, why couldnt Marvel own all their franchises, imagine the Avengers with Spiderman turning up and the Fantastic Four arriving to lend a hand

sigh, why couldnt Marvel own all their franchises, imagine the Avengers with Spiderman turning up and the Fantastic Four arriving to lend a hand

I think that woulda been dreadful (especially the awful Fantastic Four, who I've always thought suck); I'm really really glad it wasn't able to happen!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

its real comic nerd stuff this time though, basically Green Goblin Iron Man, dunno how its going to work with Sony probably owning the Oscorp name, or do they? sigh, why couldnt Marvel own all their franchises, imagine the Avengers with Spiderman turning up and the Fantastic Four arriving to lend a hand

Not sure I agree - The Avengers just about got away with its ensemble cast, and there have been plenty of superhero films that suffer from bloat / excessive cast lists; I think it was happy coincidence Whedon & co. didnt have the option of using Spiderman or any other bigname hero.

I think that woulda been dreadful (especially the awful Fantastic Four, who I've always thought suck); I'm really really glad it wasn't able to happen!
    Not sure I agree - The Avengers just about got away with its ensemble cast, and there have been plenty of superhero films that suffer from bloat / excessive cast lists; I think it was happy coincidence Whedon & co. didnt have the option of using Spiderman or any other bigname hero.

FF are rubbish, but I think krudler meant more like a cameo than an integral part of the film. Literally a 5 second cut away of spidey rescuing a few civilians. Now I can honestly say that would have been effing awesome.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    FF are rubbish, but I think krudler meant more like a cameo than an integral part of the film. Literally a 5 second cut away of spidey rescuing a few civilians. Now I can honestly say that would have been effing awesome.

I'd get on board with that as long as it wasn't Tobey Maguire!...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I don't think the FF or Spiderman are much of a loss to the Avengers, The villains that go with those rights are a massive loss though

Dr.Doom, Osbourne, Galactus, Silver Surfer, Proper Skrulls, Bullseye, Venom, Magneto, Daken and that more or less rules out the Dark Avengers too which sucks hole imo

Advertisement