Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Official "rant/bitch/moan" Thread

Options

Comments

Bring back the bull-whip I say!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I just spent ages trying to sort through college documents for an undergrad teaching and learning committee meeting I have tomorrow (note: yet another committee I sit on, I think i'm collecting them) - not bad, and i'm somewhat happier with kearney than I was previously,but still, too late to be working on stuff :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Bh, it's early and I want some smoothie, but zumo is sooooo far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

bah bb at home cut off, replacement not installed yet :s, could be weeks without internet...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Didn't get to sleep til 4 this morning and now I'm tired and contrary.

• Advertisement

Why is this forum so quiet today? I need something to distract me from the hell of my own making that is correcting assignments. Come on, someone say something. Anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

stargal wrote:
    Hmm, maybe. Do you have strong views on whether kids should be given ASBOs? Are you currently the Children's Ombudsman by any chance?

Yes to both questions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

stargal wrote:
    Why is this forum so quiet today? I need something to distract me from the hell of my own making that is correcting assignments. Come on, someone say something. Anything.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/CrovaxXI/picard.png

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

stargal wrote:
    Errrrrr. Find a hobby? For correcting assignments, stand atop a staircase and chuck them all down to t'bottom. The ones that land first fail. Then go spend the time you've saved somewhere outside the walls of Trinity state penitentiary. A public house of some description for example, or some sort of retail outlet. I hear there are some of the latter in the locality but cannot confirm this.

Ronan, tell the lady where she can shop for shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Ohmygod shoes.

(No really, that's where I get mine.)

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote:

That's deadly! I'll add that to my Patrick Stewart album on my Bebo page.

Wow.

I need to get off the internet.
    Pet wrote:
    Ohmygod shoes. (No really, that's where I get mine.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Newb

Do you think that's bad? I know what episode it is from.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

so do i :/ *smells the nerd*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

It's been too long since I saw tng, what episode is it from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Newb

GROARGH!

This is a long shot but: I'm trying to record my voice onto mini-disc, using a microphone. However when I play it back, it's very low and I can barely hear it. The mic is fine, so it must be a problem with the mini-disc. Does anyone know how to turn this volume up?

And please don't just tell me to actually push the button that increases the volume. Because I've tried that. Plus I'm so cranky at that stage that I might come out of your computer screen and hit you for suggesting it. So you have been warned.

And I've posted this in the Portable Media Player thread too. But just thought you lot might be vaguely useful :)

I tried that a long time ago.. and then gave up. The original levels from the mic are way too low

It will work if you can run the mike through a board of some sort.. I don't know what you have to hand but any A/V techie should be able to help..

Failing that.. record it on to your PC using some software that will boost the levels, and then transfer it to MD

What kind of MD player is it? Usually there's an option to increase the recording volume too, well there was on my old Sony one.

/tenatively
    I think I've fixed it

I did what you suggested Pet, and upped the volume that it was recording at, by reading the manual. It didn't seem to make that much difference in my headphones.

However - when I did what original_psycho mentioned and played it through my software (Audacity. It's brilliant) then it sounded fine.

I'll check that I can burn it onto a CD ok, and then I'll know it's working perfectly. Wow. Can't believe I was able to fix this. That's pretty cool.

/slaps self on back, since there's no-one else around who appreciates the awesomeness of the achievement

audacity rocks. so very much.

• Advertisement

Yeah it's really excellent. It's so straightforward to use.

We'd been using Pro-Tools in college, and it was ok, but just a bit messy.

Argh, seems I didn't fix it after all.

When I played the recording back again (in Audacity) there was loads of white noise and it sounded all fuzzy.

I'm so blue :(

365online tells me that I'm in the red again. €100 overdrawn on the bank account, and €400 on the credit card.

Feck.

Stargal - reduce the recording level on the MD to between half and three quarters.

Then boost it with Audacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

stargal wrote:
    I'm so blue :(
    But are you daba dee daba dah?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

It's raining, and I'm in house 6 and I need to go to the library and its RAINING!!! And I havn't got a coat or an umbrella!! AND ITS RAINING!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

I get a call yesterday from my supervisor:

"Declan, there has been a complaint made about you"
    "Oh?"
    "Yes the cleaning service in the guesthouse say your room is too untidy to clean."

Of course he being danish (meaning he's fond of being detailed) then goes on to suggest how I can acquire a bag and use it to put my dirty laundry in so that it's not kept on the floor.

Okay the latter I can forgive, it's their way. But the former? That whore of a cleaning lady complains to my fuhcking supervisor that my room, my room is too messy! I thought I kept it quite clean tbh. What they mean by "it's too untidy to clean" is that there's a couple of socks on the floor she doesn't want to move out of the way so she can vacuum. I didn't even know they vacuumed the bloody rooms! But ffs, just leave a note, hello? adult here? I'm in my mid fucking 20's! My supervisor has nothing to do with my room. Completely out of order, ridiculous.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

SU Shop sells them for a fiver, well they did 2 weeks ago

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

ApeXaviour wrote:
    I get a call yesterday from my supervisor:

"Declan, there has been a complaint made about you"
    "Oh?"
    "Yes the cleaning service in the guesthouse say your room is too untidy to clean."

Of course he being danish (meaning he's fond of being detailed) then goes on to suggest how I can acquire a bag and use it to put my dirty laundry in so that it's not kept on the floor.

Okay the latter I can forgive, it's their way. But the former? That whore of a cleaning lady complains to my fuhcking supervisor that my room, my room is too messy! I thought I kept it quite clean tbh. What they mean by "it's too untidy to clean" is that there's a couple of socks on the floor she doesn't want to move out of the way so she can vacuum. I didn't even know they vacuumed the bloody rooms! But ffs, just leave a note, hello? adult here? I'm in my mid fucking 20's! My supervisor has nothing to do with my room. Completely out of order, ridiculous.
    Cut her.

• Advertisement

Sell her to slavery.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement