Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best English Rapper Ever!!!

• 26-04-2012 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

Who are the Best English/British Rappers of the new era!!!

English rap is huge now, even tho i don't agree with this new boom rap bulls8it, started by Calvin Harris.

I have made this list myself and you can add more rappers in comments if you like.

Trying to keep it in the last 10 - 15 years!!!

I still think english rap/grime isn't given enough recognition to be honest and I know who's my number *1

KANO!!!!!!

BEST ENGLISH RAPPERS OF THE LAST TEN YEARS!!! 62 votes

DIZZIE RASCAL
    0% 0 votes
    PLAN B
    14% 9 votes
    BLACK TWANG
    4% 3 votes
    SKINNYMAN
    1% 1 vote
    MIKE SKINNER "THE STREETS"
    6% 4 votes
    KANO
    24% 15 votes
    CHIPMUNK
    4% 3 votes
    TINCHY STRYDER
    0% 0 votes
    SWAY
    0% 0 votes
    PRO GREEN
    0% 0 votes
    EXAMPLE
    6% 4 votes
    WILEY
    1% 1 vote
    DAPPY
    16% 10 votes
    MIA
    0% 0 votes
    LADY SOV
    1% 1 vote
    ASHER D
    1% 1 vote
    TINIE TEMPAH
    0% 0 votes
    LETHAL BIZZLE
    4% 3 votes
    GIGGS
    0% 0 votes
    GHETTO
    1% 1 vote
    SKEPTA
    0% 0 votes
    BASHY
    0% 0 votes
    AKALA
    1% 1 vote
    MS DYNAMITE
    6% 4 votes
    ESTELLE
    1% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

when you have a load of espresso's and you jump on boards like a madman

to answer your post (of sorts) I actually like PlanB (hip hop album obv)

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Sorry if i hurt your eyesight:), but i spent so long trying to figure out how to use the typology on the Boards website, i took full advantage!!! lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I'm confused. Are you asking who is the best English rapper ever, or the best of the last 10 years?

If it's the best ever then the winner is Slick Rick, hands down. He has no other worthy competition.

If it's the last 10 years then I don't really know. Some of the people you named are rubbish though. Dappy and Chipmunk are pretty garbage imo. Can't rap to save their lives.

I suppose what i'm really asking is off the new era, from when garage turned into grime and what we now consider English/British rap.... slick rick was old school... i'm trying to stick between 10 to 15 years... and i agree a lot of rappers on there have turned into r&b artists but they do consider themselves rappers and they are selling records.... chipmunk signed to BadBoy now"Biggies old label", Dappy is making it in the states... You know i don't like these artists much either but a lot of people do... I hope the poll answers some questions for myself and maybe other people... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Squarewave

Roots Manuva

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

Without a doubt it has to be Roots Manuva.

Squarewave wrote: »
    Roots Manuva

GOOD PICK!!!! Completely forgot....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Roots Manuva definitely. Other than that, I like Mike Skinner. MIA is one of my favourite artists, but she's more than hip hop, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Giggs is lol

Thats a good one.... But again his selling records you know! what can you do?.... he sold a **** load of mix tapes.... if you went to any estate in england now and asked who the best rapper they would say "giggs".... Again what can you do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Akala.

Akala.

What a rapper!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I like your man skinner from the streets, was only listening to them last night.
    He should be on the poll imo.

And isn't example a group??

Mike Skinner is on the poll?

Groups are often included in best lists like WTC, ATCQ, Mobb Deep etc

Mike Skinner is on the poll?

Groups are often included in best lists like WTC, ATCQ, Mobb Deep etc

Thanks, didn't see that.

Yeah but in the examples you just gave there's more than 1 rapper.
    Example only has one rapper.
    If you were making a list like that and it was u.s artists you wouldn't say gang starr you'd say guru. Am i right?
    And also he didn't just say the streets, he said mike skinner as well. Would make sense to apply it to example.

Also i'm surprised lowkey isn't on the list, he's the best english rapper i've heard in a while.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    I like your man skinner from the streets, was only listening to them last night.
    He should be on the poll imo.

And isn't example a group??

No example actually was signed to a label called The Beats, which was actually run by Mike Skinner from The Streets, then the beats fell through and example was signed by another label. Example was always just a rapper can't remember his real name. His music has changed into this new kind dance/british/hiphop/rap genre, thats why he may sound like a group or band. He is a very good rapper, check out his first album "Look what we made".

danbrosnan wrote: »
    No example actually was signed to a label called The Beats, which was actually run by Mike Skinner from The Streets, then the beats fell through and example was signed by another label. Example was always just a rapper can't remember his real name. His music has changed into this new kind dance/british/hiphop/rap genre, thats why he may sound like a group or band. He is a very good rapper, check out his first album "Look what we made".

Yeah he's almost more dance than hip hop at the moment, has a bit of a trip hop sound to him.

He must be a very good dj, i thought he was the rapper and then there was one or more dj's in the group with him.

Yeah he's almost more dance than hip hop at the moment, has a bit of a trip hop sound to him.

He must be a very good dj, i thought he was the rapper and then there was one or more dj's in the group with him.

There is a dj with him, a collage friend that has been there from the start. The reason why i included him was he started out a rapper and there is a certain element of him that is rapping. He also has rapped on songs for tinchy strider etc...........

ANOTHER TWO RAPPERS THAT ARE NOT INCLUDED ARE WRETCH 32 AND DEVLIN, THE REASON I NEVER PUT THEM IN IS BECAUSE THEY ONLY BROKE THROUGH IN 2011 AND I FELT THIS WAS NOT RELATIVE TIME TO BE IN THE LIST

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

danbrosnan wrote: »
    Example was always just a rapper can't remember his real name.

It's impossible not to remember his name :P. His name is Elliott Gleave. His initals are e.g. and that's where he got his stage from. It's one of the best names around.

I'm pretty sure he does all the music himself when he's making a song. When he performs he is only ever on the mic. He has a DJ then who goes around on tours with him and he does all the mixing, just like any other artist.

He puts on a great live show. It helps that his music is the kind that you want to go mental to. I saw him in the SU in Maynooth last year and he was brilliant. As long as he stays performing and doesn't go down the Calvin Harris route of doing the DJ set then he'll be grand.

• Advertisement

Thanks, didn't see that.

Yeah but in the examples you just gave there's more than 1 rapper.
    Example only has one rapper.
    If you were making a list like that and it was u.s artists you wouldn't say gang starr you'd say guru. Am i right?
    And also he didn't just say the streets, he said mike skinner as well. Would make sense to apply it to example.

Also i'm surprised lowkey isn't on the list, he's the best english rapper i've heard in a while.

Ah, I did not know it was only a group with one rapper. Yeah if I was doing it I would say Guru not Gangstar and Chuck D not PE unless discussing GOAT.

Lowkey deserves to be on the list, I agree especially above chipmonk and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Dunno who the best is but throw these guys up there

"Throw punches with the strength of Silverbacks, Knock out your gold fronts" :eek:

A shout for Klashnekoff too

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

No love for DOOM in this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

use to be mad into the uk scene when i was younger , channel U :D, so much better than the rubbish that is irish hip hop.

no roots or blak twang?

i went with wiley because he baiscally made the grime scene and i use to love roll deep.

personal favorite... memories :D

The UK scene is better than the Irish one but both suck when compared to the American and Canadian scene.

The UK scene is better than the Irish one but both suck when compared to the American and Canadian scene.

is there a canadian scene when you don't count drake?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

The UK scene is better than the Irish one and both suck when compared to the American and Canadian scene.

in fairness to the uk they have there own lane with grime, very original and unique sub genre of hip hop so its hard to compare to the actual american scene which is out right hip hop.

the reason i dont like irish hip hop is because the majority of it (at least what iv listened to) is just trying to mimic the american scene but thats just my personal opinion on it, i know its fairly popular here with a few of ye.

canada, i haven't really took much interest in it. i know drakes from there thats about it but imagine its pretty similar to the american scene?

is there a canadian scene when you don't count drake?

Yes. Growing big time too.
    in fairness to the uk they have there own lane with grime, very original and unique sub genre of hip hop so its hard to compare to the actual american scene which is out right hip hop.

the reason i dont like irish hip hop is because the majority of it (at least what iv listened to) is just trying to mimic the american scene but thats just my personal opinion on it, i know its fairly popular here with a few of ye.

canada, i haven't really took much interest in it. i know drakes from there thats about it but imagine its pretty similar to the american scene?

The UK have Grime, D&B and Garage yes, but it is still comparable to a lot of hip-hop from elsewhere. Grime grew from earlier influences and while it is unique it is still quite hip-hop(y) I don't know many hip-hop fans that would not "get" Grime, it is very good.

That will happen when you only listen to very few IHH acts. I don't know of any IHH that is in any way big or respected that raps like an American. They dress hip-hop but so do the English. (for example anytime people say the Irish rap american they can never ever give any examples)

Canadas scene is growing, getting bigger places than the UK anyway but as you said it is closer to America so that might have a lot to do with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

MrStuffins wrote: »
    No love for DOOM in this thread?

Doesn't really count, was raided in New York, he wasn't part of the UK Hiphop scene, ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

I know it sounds ignorant but I can't stand the vast majority of British HH because of the accent. Don't care if the future Nas is on the mic. Also hate the way a lot of them primarily use dubstep for their beats to reach wider audiences. Not into the whole grime scene either.

Advertisement