Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mid 2011 27 inch imac black screen issue

• 01-09-2015 7:14pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So this evening I was using my mac and I went to open a video file and it went to a black screen and I could hear the audio repeating so assumed it froze.

So I rebooted, got to login screen, logged in and the screen went funny in parts withe squares around the dock (like dragging a frozen window across the screen).

Again it went to black screen, so powered down again,

Tried again twice and same result, after that however it wouldn't even go to login screen and just sat on white screen that appears between the normal apple icon loading screen and login screen.

At this stage I we thinking it's either display issue or drive failing, so I tried loading time machine drive and initially it was loading it and then just sat on white screen again.

So I made a USB boot able install, booted off that and it started loading and went straight to a black screen.

So doesn't appear to be a drive failure? Looking like it's display related as far as I can see. Any suggestions to confirm the issue and/or trouble shoot?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Banta

Sounds like the exact same symptoms as one in work a couple of months back, same year and model.

Sorry to say that it turned out to be a logic board problem, I'm afraid. 450 odd for the fix, if I recall.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So I got the iMac back working for a few days but again the screen went, I noticed anytime the screen does or if it won't boot because the screen dies the casing on the mac gets hot, this was very obvious the last time as my wife left the machine running after the screen died and when I went to power it off the casing was unusually hot.

Starting to think its a cooling failure of some sort, so gona book it in for repair

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So got the iMac back, turns out it was an issue with the graphics card and thankfully Apple would cover it under EU legislation so only had to pay iconnect the 50e charge for diagnostic. Happy with that as an outcome I must say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

who fixed it?

iConnect

• Advertisement
Advertisement