Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulating a Stone Cottage

• 17-08-2009 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hello all,

I am renovating a 150 year old stone cottage and have now reached the point when I need to think about insulating the walls. The walls are 500mm thick and have stone outer leaf and stone or brick inner leaf with lime mortar. They seem to be filled with rubble and some clay i.e. there is no cavity. Also the stone on the outside will be exposed, so insulation on the outside is not an option.

The rooms are quite small inside, so I want to minimise the amount of space taken up by dry lining. Obviously I don't want a cold house or condensation/dampness issues in the future.

If anyone has experience in this area could they please point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
    PMcG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I'd like to resurrect this thread!

I'm interested too!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

I'd like to resurrect this thread!

I'm interested too!
    you might outline exactly what you are dealing with. give some detail...

here's some of the problems you should be careful to avoid http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74488821

you should really consider involving a conservation arch/ arch tech with knowledge of dampness solutions, ventilation requirements and breathable insulation options. also many old structure have little foundations and often have timber lintels so a structural Eng consultation is advised

Advertisement