Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

River Moy Daily Reports & Updates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Nice fish caught on the river Moy yesterday at Oldcastle on the fly.

100_1298_01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

I had 2 springers yesterday on east Mayo fly stretch on a hothead cascade 1 inch tube.
    Water was perfect.
    A great day.

I had 2 springers yesterday on east Mayo fly stretch on a hothead cascade 1 inch tube.
    Water was perfect.
    A great day.

Was that you that moyfisher mentioned in yesterdays post??

http://moyfisher.wordpress.com/2013/05/22/moy-report-22nd-may-8-am/

yup....

every dog has its day....

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭tootsy70

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Nice fish caught on the river Moy yesterday at Oldcastle on the fly.

100_1298_01.jpg

where is old castle

• Advertisement

Tootsy,
    Oldcastle is the highest part of the East Mayo Beat, directly below Ballintemple.

Roughly 7 to 8 miles upstream of Foxford and 6 miles downstream of Swinford.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mattcullen

yup....

every dog has its day....

Was that you I met in Tiernans Chopperdog? I met you before up at Courtlough and was talking to you about speycasting etc Got a springer just shy of 12 lb on flying c yesterday below ballylahon bridge. Absolutely delighted

Hi Matt,

Great to hear that you got a fish. On the black Rolla spinner?

Yup, that was me you met previously at Courtlough and Tiernans.

Good to meet you again, we can talk again about a bit of casting practice.

Give me a shout if you would like to get out to play with the 'big rods'.

Great job on your springer,

C. D. 2

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mattcullen

Cheers, yeah got it on the Black Rolla. My god can they fight. heart was going 90 till I had it on the bank!

Nice 10LB Salmon here;

100_1303_01.jpg

Full report & more photos here;

http://moyfisher.wordpress.com/2013/05/23/moy-report-23rd-may-8-am/

• Advertisement

Another nice Salmon caught yesterday on East Mayo Anglers stretch.

100_1309_01.jpg

Just looking at this picture of a fish caught on the moy and it looks scared to me. Can anyone tell me why its like this. A friend of mine whos beside me and whos a keen fisherman says it looks like net marks to him, would anyone agree. also why is the tail all in bits.

892%20Norbert%20with%20one%20of%20a%20few%20June%202013.JPG

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

tootsy70 wrote: »
    Just looking at this picture of a fish caught on the moy and it looks scared to me. Can anyone tell me why its like this. A friend of mine whos beside me and whos a keen fisherman says it looks like net marks to him, would anyone agree. also why is the tail all in bits.

892%20Norbert%20with%20one%20of%20a%20few%20June%202013.JPG

Don't think so, a net marked fish would show more damage to the dorsal fin area. Fish often have marks like that, sometimes the angler's line can produce marks that look similar to net marks. Having seen hundreds of fish like that, and many more fish that were clearly net-marked, this doesn't seem to be caused by a net. The tail is sometimes split like that too, but unless a fish reversed into a net at speed that wouldn't be the cause...

7lb caught below Ballylahan bridge a day or 2 ago.

100_1366_01.jpg

Went fishing for 2 days last wknd on the moy, didnt catch a thing but they were jumping all around us. Needs to learn how to catch a salmon on a rod ;) Any tips!

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Went fishing for 2 days last wknd on the moy, didnt catch a thing but they were jumping all around us. Needs to learn how to catch a salmon on a rod ;) Any tips!

What other method is there :D ?

Snowc wrote: »
    What other method is there :D ?

I was thinking of trying to use a few bricks when i seen the wee ****ers jump all around me. Think there was this one salmon that was teasing me because it kept jumping in same spot.

When i said about catching them on a rod. I really meant whats the best method and how do you set a rod up.

Nice Salmon caught by Moyfisher yesterday. A Lot of Salmon being caught now on the Moy, mostly in the east Mayo anglers stretch :cool:

100_1367_01.jpg

Nice Salmon caught by Moyfisher yesterday. A Lot of Salmon being caught now on the Moy, mostly in the east Mayo anglers stretch :cool:

100_1367_01.jpg

Is the river not in flood with all that rain. I seen on the net that it was up at 1.6 at ballylaughen bridge, is that ok conditions for it

100_1367_01.jpg

What weight? 4-5lb?

• Advertisement

What weight? 4-5lb?

5.5lb Moy was in flood, falling now. Keep an eye on moyfisher's site and he'll recommend what to use for different conditions at different stretch's on the Moy.

5.5lb Moy was in flood, falling now. Keep an eye on moyfisher's site and he'll recommend what to use for different conditions at different stretch's on the Moy.

I have been. This might be a long shot but im going to ask it anyway. Is it possible you can take pics of how to set up lines for fishing different methods. Maybe even a thought for moyfishers site because as a newbie like myself and same with my mates, it would be nice to see pics of how to set up a line for worm,prawn, jumping jack line with worm and other methods you might know of. The reason why i ask is that ive fished for salmon many a times and never catch anything yet theres always people around me that does :mad: and i was always told it was to do with setting a line up properly.

I have been. This might be a long shot but im going to ask it anyway. Is it possible you can take pics of how to set up lines for fishing different methods. Maybe even a thought for moyfishers site because as a newbie like myself and same with my mates, it would be nice to see pics of how to set up a line for worm,prawn, jumping jack line with worm and other methods you might know of. The reason why i ask is that ive fished for salmon many a times and never catch anything yet theres always people around me that does :mad: and i was always told it was to do with setting a line up properly.

I'll be having a pint (or 2 :pac: ) with moyfisher tonight in the local and I'll put that idea to him. Maybe do a tutorial with photos and put them up on the website? Good idea tootsy, I'll have to follow him out on the river and take some photos! :D

I'll be having a pint (or 2 :pac: ) with moyfisher tonight in the local and I'll put that idea to him. Maybe do a tutorial with photos and put them up on the website? Good idea tootsy, I'll have to follow him out on the river and take some photos! :D

Maybe i can get catching some salmon now :D

Nice 4lb Salmon caught last night by Moyfisher.

http://moyfisher.wordpress.com/

100_1404_01.jpg

Nice 4lb Salmon caught last night by Moyfisher.

http://moyfisher.wordpress.com/

100_1404_01.jpg

Never knew you could fish for salmon at night. When you say night, was it dark , to me it does look it in that pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yoloc

Never knew you could fish for salmon at night. When you say night, was it dark , to me it does look it in that pic.

You can fish at night but it's illegal here in ireland. There's spinners and lure's that glow in the dark that can be deadly in pools where salmon are lying. Ive fished like this in scotland and new zealand catching some big salmon. You can also get flies that glow in the dark but have never used them but know people who have, and they recommend them highly.

One thing i wouldnt recommend is walking through fields in the dark because let me tell you, even thou i had a head torch i near broke my kneck a few times:( and here in ireland if you were to fish using these lures, someone would see them and you'll have the fishery officers on top of you in no time taking your gear and also handing you a summons.

Caught just before dark yesterday evening at Oldcastle.
    Caption that is on the photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yoloc

Flysfisher wrote: »
    Really? In 40 years of game angling in Ireland I never knew anyone fished from boats, sure I thought those things were magic carpets, thanks for that fulfilling enlightenment ;)
    By the way, which moy fishery are launching your magic carpet in?
    Mr Bumble wrote: »
    Several places where people use boats to fish for salmon in Ireland. I've seen it on the Moy at the Joinings, the Bann, Shannon, Lee and the Munster Blackwater in the tidal stretch. In Scotland, they use a big chain and the gillie pays it out as you go down the best beats while you fish with a double-hander on many of the big salmon rivers. I resume this is about rivers? Plenty of lakes obviously where you can catch salmon from a boat on the fly
    I would agree. I think the poster above is having the wind up because i have also seen boats on the moy, just below foxford when i was there a few years ago for a weeks fishing.

I dont know the laws concerning fishing from boats in ireland but id take a guess that its perfectly legal to fish in a river from a boat, infact i would prefer it rather than having to cross fields,clime fences etc.. that and the fact that ive walked through fields before with my son fishing, and the animals werent to happy we were there so we had to do a bolter.

Just as im typing this, i remember stopping at a bridge just outside of foxford(its the east mayo stretch if i remember correctly) and there was a sign saying boats for hire so clearly its possible to have a boat on this river.
    Park Royal wrote: »
    As I understand things , its the actual "fishery owners" have the boats , at

eg Foxford and Mount Falcon also in the (Ridgepool for those lacking

mobility usually
    ).

The only other people who put a boat on the freshwater Moy are the Fishery

Officers and recreational canoeists( who usually respect that its a major game

river). I never heard of an individual angler coming along and launching himself

or herself into a fishery with their own craft.( except poachers of course). I

suspect the fishery owner would have alot to say about the matter.

As for fishing from a boat on the moy. Even thou i havent seen it myself, i cant see why it should be a problem. Ive always thought about launching a boat myself on the moy because there is quite alot of spots that you just cant reach because it has 2 banks full of trees for a few hundred yards. Im sure there would be nice pools in these places, its just nobody has fished them before and doesnt know where they are.

If you were just out on the boat and not fishing, theres nothing the fishery officers can do because they only own the fishing rights of the river and cant tell you to move on unless your bothering any fisher men and causing problems.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

yoloc wrote: »
    You can fish at night but it's illegal here in ireland. There's spinners and lure's that glow in the dark that can be deadly in pools where salmon are lying. Ive fished like this in scotland and new zealand catching some big salmon. You can also get flies that glow in the dark but have never used them but know people who have, and they recommend them highly.

One thing i wouldnt recommend is walking through fields in the dark because let me tell you, even thou i had a head torch i near broke my kneck a few times:( and here in ireland if you were to fish using these lures, someone would see them and you'll have the fishery officers on top of you in no time taking your gear and also handing you a summons.

OK I don't know where you heard this but night fishing is certainly not illegal. It may be against fishery rules on some private or club fisheries, some places do have specified times for angling in their rules, but there is no law against fishing at night time. The best sea trout fishing is often in the dark. Ditto brown trout fishing on rivers in warm summer weather. There is also no law against the lures you mention, I've never heard of them being used here but they are certainly not illegal - again there may be local rules, such as fly-only stretches, where they would be against the rules, but on a national basis they are not illegal.
    Please familiarise yourself with the fishery laws before you post information as facts on a public forum.

Advertisement