Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New milestone in father's rights:

Options
  • 27-06-2012 9:31am
    Site Banned Posts: 46

The department of Justice and Law reform has eventually drafted legislation to include fathers' names on the children's birth certificates when born outside wedlock.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Woodward

This is a great start to the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

It's fantastic news alright, but I wonder how they would handle a case where the father is genuinely unknown?
    Maybe it's accounted for, I haven't read any of it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Fathers names can already go on a childs birthcert if the child is born out of wedlock.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Fathers names can already go on a childs birthcert if the child is born out of wedlock.

True but the new legislation makes it mandatory.

• Site Banned Posts: 46 one4on

Sonics2k wrote: »

Yes, but the hussy woman could refuse up until this landmark ruling, now, if the father wants it, he can have in on the bc.

• Advertisement

And what'll happen if the woman refuses?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Be interesting to see how this actually happens in practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Impossible to enforce if a woman really doesn't want the fathers name on the birth cert she can just say it was some nameless guy from Coppers.

You simply cannot force this issue, its too impractical.

And what'll happen if the woman refuses?

If I had my choice she would be boiled to death in tallow (or failing that, any other long chain hydrocarbon), but I don't think the EU or UN or Amnesty Intl. or any other of those showers of clowns would be too happy about that :P

Maguined wrote: »
    Impossible to enforce if a woman really doesn't want the fathers name on the birth cert she can just say it was some nameless guy from Coppers.

What if he demands a DNA test ??

If a woman is able to demand maintenance through the courts, does this mean the father can demand guardianship?? Or can the woman only demand maintenance after guardianship has been established ? Is there a lawyer in the house?

• Advertisement

There's also the issue of rape victims, sperm donations (where the mother has the child as a single parent), and many more...
    Let's just hope there are clearcut guidelines on all of this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

You have to force the issue, why should a mother have the right to refuse for a father to be on the birth cert of a child that is biologically his?

one4on wrote: »
    SINGLE mothers will be forced to name the fathers of their children on birth certificates under planned new legislation.

Around 4,000 children do not have their father named on their birth cert every year. And it has been estimated that overall, one in five of all children born to unmarried parents do not have the name of their father registered on their birth certificates.

The Law Reform Commission has found that the high numbers of unidentified fathers is because many single mothers wrongly believe that naming the father will affect their social welfare benefits.

Others believe that it will give the father automatic legal access rights to the child -- which is also incorrect.

Social Protection Minister Joan Burton plans to introduce legislation to make it compulsory for both parents to be named on a child's birth certificate.

The change has been recommended in a report by the Law Reform Commission, which said the legislation would reinforce the right of a child to know their parents.

Risk

It warned that without this information, there was a risk of children who were related unknowingly striking up relationships with each other.

The commission found that,"In most cases the mother of the child is aware of who the father of the child is."

Ms Burton will have to decide on exemptions in her legislation for mothers who do not know the identity of the father or who fears for her safety if the father of the child had to be contacted.

Under current legislation, unmarried mothers must get the written permission of the father of the child to put their name on the birth cert.

Children who are born to married couples automatically have both parents' names put on their birth certs.

According to the Central Statistics Office (CSO), the 4,166 children born in 2007 without their father's name on the birth certificate accounted for around 6pc of the 70,620 children born that year.

In 2008 4,102 children did not have their father's name on their birth cert -- although 495 of these children had their father's name added later in the year.

In Britain, legislation was introduced in 2009 which required mothers to name the father and threatened them with a £200 (€250) fine and seven days in prison for perjury if they gave a false answer. But so far, the law has not been enforced.

- Michael Brennan Deputy Political Editor

Not enough, perjury should be life imprisonment without parole

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

That's a bit harsh tbh.

While I'm in favour of the fathers name being on the birth cert I can see this being a lot harder to enforce than people might think.

Also would love to see someone trying to get their name off a birth cert.

The same arseholes who something like this is aimed at are the ones who will ignore it anyway.

Are you not aware that mothers are immune to perjury prosecution in the Irish Family Law courts...or it seems that way anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭LostPassword

Do you realise that you do your cause a huge disservice when you make such rabid statements? Every time I read such crap it reinforces the impression that the father's rights movement is a front for embittered neanderthals.

Do you realise that you do your cause a huge disservice when you make such rabid statements? Every time I read such crap it reinforces the impression that the father's rights movement is a front for embittered neanderthals.

Are you a braindead woman?

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Are you not aware that mothers are immune to perjury prosecution in the Irish Family Law courts...or it seems that way anyway.

is that actually true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I think you will find that brain dead people tend not to be found typing on their computer.

But feel free to correct me, oh oracle'd one.

is that actually true?

Of course it is not true. But in reality, it may as well be.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,891 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Perhaps they've finally invented the technology that reads the brainwaves of comatose patients and allows them to communicate exclusively through boards.ie.

If that's the case, better make sure you have a DNR code.

Not quite, as a woman my evil lobes are immortal, dontcha know.

Of course it is not true. But in reality, it may as well be.
    It's true for everyone. Perjury is totally routine in all courts and is virtually never prosecuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

What if he demands a DNA test ??

If a woman is able to demand maintenance through the courts, does this mean the father can demand guardianship?? Or can the woman only demand maintenance after guardianship has been established ? Is there a lawyer in the house?

DNA test can only be performed with the consent of the mother.

Or through a court order so the potential father would have to spend a sum of money to drag it through the courts and get a court order if the mother continued to deny the father, if the DNA test went his way then all he gets is his name on the birth cert which confers practically no rights at all as they changed the law recently so the mother as primary care giver still has total control even if the father is named a guardian.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

if the DNA test went his way then all he gets is his name on the birth cert which confers practically no rights at all as they changed the law recently so the mother as primary care giver still has total control even if the father is named a guardian.

This needs to be changed, for some reason the irish courts seem to think an un married father has no rights to see his child. Why is it mothers always get the benefit of the doubt in these situations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Yes, but the hussy woman could refuse up until this landmark ruling, now, if the father wants it, he can have in on the bc.
    If I had my choice she would be boiled to death in tallow (or failing that, any other long chain hydrocarbon), but I don't think the EU or UN or Amnesty Intl. or any other of those showers of clowns would be too happy about that :P

banned for blatant flaming and trolling. when your ban is up, don't return to this forum unless you are prepared to engage in a civil and constructive manner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

please try and engage in a less histrionic and more constructive fashion. no further warnings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Every time I read such crap it reinforces the impression that the father's rights movement is a front for embittered neanderthals.

Wow.

As men we have to hear and listen to a lot of 'crap' from so called feminists. Thankfully they don't represent the through meaning of the movement. Some fathers have been treated extremely unfairly by our legal system and for that reason the fathers right movement is a necessity.

Advertisement