Eddie Duggan midlands Mma - Page 3 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
06-04-2012, 13:20   #31
theboxingclinic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 465
Lol, premature!! Do you think the fight would be back on if I hasdbt brought this to light!



Quote=Yourwellcum;77982059]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowzerp View Post
Agreed, If it can be dealt with privately that's how it should be in my opinion-but if it can't I don't think just accepting it is good enough for me, that just allows for bad situations to keep arising without any comeback at all.
Which in your case was fine, but I think the boxing clinic scenario was premature which is evident considering the fight is now back on.[/Quote]
theboxingclinic is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-04-2012, 13:25   #32
Yourwellcum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboxingclinic View Post
Lol, premature!! Do you think the fight would be back on if I hasdbt brought this to light!



Quote=Yourwellcum;77982059]

Which in your case was fine, but I think the boxing clinic scenario was premature which is evident considering the fight is now back on.
[/QUOTE]

I think thats my point. Maybe more discussions with the team in question would of yielded the same result. If all it took was a few lines on a forum, I dont think the obstacles to the fight were that great
Yourwellcum is offline  
06-04-2012, 13:28   #33
theboxingclinic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 465
Discussion: we refuse to cut 4kgs, cool cut 2 we will fight at 86, no we have the flu.
The expectation would have been that I and the promoter would have moved on.
Guess they were wrong!!
Your welcome to your opinion but this fight would not have happened if not brought up on fb and boards, those involved in organising this fight of which your are not 1 would agree with me on this.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourwellcum View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboxingclinic View Post
Lol, premature!! Do you think the fight would be back on if I hasdbt brought this to light!



Quote=Yourwellcum;77982059]

Which in your case was fine, but I think the boxing clinic scenario was premature which is evident considering the fight is now back on.
I think thats my point. Maybe more discussions with the team in question would of yielded the same result. If all it took was a few lines on a forum, I dont think the obstacles to the fight were that great[/Quote]
theboxingclinic is offline  
06-04-2012, 13:42   #34
Yourwellcum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboxingclinic View Post
Discussion: we refuse to cut 4kgs, cool cut 2 we will fight at 86, no we have the flu.
The expectation would have been that I and the promoter would have moved on.
Guess they were wrong!!
Your welcome to your opinion but this fight would not have happened if not brought up on fb and boards, those involved in organising this fight of which your are not 1 would agree with me on this
Im sure they would but your basing all this on your own opinion and trying to pass it off as fact.

There is no point discussing this further sufficied to say your idea of being professional does not rank along with mine and I doubt I am on my own on this one.
Yourwellcum is offline  
06-04-2012, 13:57   #35
theboxingclinic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 465
so you are saying that I am the unprofessional one? lol, who the hell are you?
Unfortunately for you it's exactly what happened and is indeed fact, I have an unbiased witness in the promoter and John Ging, so basically your spouting off about something u know nothing about.
Anyways the fight is back on, job done as far as I am concerned

Last edited by theboxingclinic; 06-04-2012 at 14:08.
theboxingclinic is offline  
Advertisement
06-04-2012, 16:22   #36
mmmm...not sure
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Currently England but strabane at heart
Posts: 185
Its a joke this fight is back on why put a fighter in the cage that clearly doesnt want to be there he has obviously been ordered to fight by his coaches to save their reputation, plenty of fighters looking to get on a big show like celtic gladitor why give a fighter like this a second chance
mmmm...not sure is offline  
06-04-2012, 16:49   #37
SBG Ireland
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmm...not sure View Post
plenty of fighters looking to get on a big show like celtic gladitor
no there's not, especially at 84kg.
SBG Ireland is offline  
Thanks from:
06-04-2012, 17:12   #38
Barry.Oglesby
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboxingclinic View Post
I couldn't agree more that nobody benefits from this, however some people benefit less then others from what happened, namely Celtic gladiator and will fleury.
There are many reasons for a fighter to withdraw from a fight which are acceptable and happen all the time. This however is not acceptable and there was no breakdown in communication. Basically it went like this.
Phone call from John Ging the monday after Will fought on mma clinic amateur fight night 2 offering Will a fight with one of morceagos guys. Great lets take it. Fight agreed at 84kgs. No time off for Will straight back into hard training.
2 weeks later, with 10 days left to the fight, when it is very difficult to get a replacement fighter Celtic Gladiator receive call stating that there fighter is refusing point blank to cut from 88 to 84 over the next 10 days. At this stage he did not have the "flu".
Now I really couldn't care less about the fighters diet or why he is refusing to make weight because if he felt 84 was too low fight should not have been accepted 2 weeks previous when John had time to find somebody else to fight Will.
It has left the promoter angry, it has left me angry and Will is angry.
When clubs behave like this then people should know. It might put a stop to this behaviour in future.
Because this kind of behaviour has gone on in the fight game from the beginning is not reason enough to accept it now.
I'm sure Morcegao team will have a different story to yours. perhaps it would be better to hear their one and then make an informed decision about whether to come to the internet. 6 posts ago you would never deal with Morcegao ever again and now the fight is back on.

You're relatively new to this so you're going off on one very publicly. With thousands of Irish MMA fans reading on, you have gone and blackballed a club, only to unblackball them a day later. A phone call directly to them could have sorted this out one way or the other. We've all had fighters miss weight and if you haven't, some day you will, guaranteed. It happens. It's not always anyone's fault and it's not always innocent either. If you want to make a point, why not email clubs and promoters? Half of the coaches and promoters don't read this board anyway.

If it happened as you said it did then that's not cool, don't get me wrong. But one day you'll be the guy on the other end of the phone explaining that your guy is heavy. Imagine if someone went scurrying to boards every time that happened?
Barry.Oglesby is offline  
06-04-2012, 17:13   #39
Barry.Oglesby
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBG Ireland View Post
no there's not, especially at 84kg.
Exactly. And we all make mistakes and sometimes for the sake of a fight you just bite your lip!
Barry.Oglesby is offline  
Advertisement
06-04-2012, 17:36   #40
theboxingclinic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 465
1) I'm most concerned with my fighter staying active and getting the fight that he has trained for. When saying I wouldn't deal with this team I was referring to my own shows.
2)there fighter was not heavy, he was 4 kgs over the weight ten days out from weigh in and point blank refused to lose the 4kgs. We offered to take the fight at 86 to assist the fighter and make sure the fight went ahead. More then generous on our behalf.
3) all info was relayed to me via John Ging a respected coach from a very good club. I trust what he told me to be 100 percent accurate.
4) your right I am relatively new to the mma scene. We do not seem to be doing too badly though.
5) I will never accept a fight at a weight and ring up 10 days beforehand with 4 kgs to cut and refuse to do so. It may happen that I have a fighter that misses weight but it won't be because he didn't try his best to make it.
6) I don't actually disagree with everything u say, in fact I enjoyed your article on the 3 coaches to avoid and agreed with all of it but I do disagree with you on this topic big time. The **** is going to hit the fan at some stage with some show having to cancel because of the amount of pull outs from shows. Do we have to wait for that to happen before acting?

I spoke to a promoter of 1 of Ireland's biggest shows 2 weeks ago who commented that the way things are going that in future they may have to have 3 fighters for every fight on the card, the 2 original guys and 1 to fall in in case of a drop out.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry.Oglesby View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboxingclinic View Post
I couldn't agree more that nobody benefits from this, however some people benefit less then others from what happened, namely Celtic gladiator and will fleury.
There are many reasons for a fighter to withdraw from a fight which are acceptable and happen all the time. This however is not acceptable and there was no breakdown in communication. Basically it went like this.
Phone call from John Ging the monday after Will fought on mma clinic amateur fight night 2 offering Will a fight with one of morceagos guys. Great lets take it. Fight agreed at 84kgs. No time off for Will straight back into hard training.
2 weeks later, with 10 days left to the fight, when it is very difficult to get a replacement fighter Celtic Gladiator receive call stating that there fighter is refusing point blank to cut from 88 to 84 over the next 10 days. At this stage he did not have the "flu".
Now I really couldn't care less about the fighters diet or why he is refusing to make weight because if he felt 84 was too low fight should not have been accepted 2 weeks previous when John had time to find somebody else to fight Will.
It has left the promoter angry, it has left me angry and Will is angry.
When clubs behave like this then people should know. It might put a stop to this behaviour in future.
Because this kind of behaviour has gone on in the fight game from the beginning is not reason enough to accept it now.
I'm sure Morcegao team will have a different story to yours. perhaps it would be better to hear their one and then make an informed decision about whether to come to the internet. 6 posts ago you would never deal with Morcegao ever again and now the fight is back on.

You're relatively new to this so you're going off on one very publicly. With thousands of Irish MMA fans reading on, you have gone and blackballed a club, only to unblackball them a day later. A phone call directly to them could have sorted this out one way or the other. We've all had fighters miss weight and if you haven't, some day you will, guaranteed. It happens. It's not always anyone's fault and it's not always innocent either. If you want to make a point, why not email clubs and promoters? Half of the coaches and promoters don't read this board anyway.

If it happened as you said it did then that's not cool, don't get me wrong. But one day you'll be the guy on the other end of the phone explaining that your guy is heavy. Imagine if someone went scurrying to boards every time that happened?
theboxingclinic is offline  
06-04-2012, 17:53   #41
Barry.Oglesby
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,894
Okay well look there's nothing more to say here. I'm glad your guy gets to fight in the end.

I'm not being Mr. High and Mighty here by the way. Just sharing my experience. I've gone off on a couple on the internet (very publicly and loudly I might add) and with the exception of possibly one incident, I regret them all! There's no doubt that some people lack professionalism and respect for others but dragging it out in public just drags you down to their level I think.
Barry.Oglesby is offline  
Thanks from:
06-04-2012, 19:49   #42
Yourwellcum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboxingclinic View Post
so you are saying that I am the unprofessional one? lol, who the hell are you?
Unfortunately for you it's exactly what happened and is indeed fact, I have an unbiased witness in the promoter and John Ging, so basically your spouting off about something u know nothing about.
Anyways the fight is back on, job done as far as I am concerned
A few things.

1, Never said you were unprofessional, I said our ideas on what constitutes it are different in this instance. I would never make wild accusations based on information I dont have. I am sure you are quite professional in your business as you seem to be doing quite well.

2, Unfortunatly for me how?? I was merely voicing my opinion. As You say I am not a stakeholder in this situation. You however chose to take it to a public forum, therefore I am permitted to comment within the rules of the forum.I wasnt spouting at all. You dont seem to like being disagreed with though.

3, As for who I am. I dont think it really matters all that much as I am making no accusations or saying anything controversial. You dont know me anyway. But as a fan of irish mma, I am a potential customer considering you are also a promoter. One who you kind of jumped on for voicing an opinion.

This is the point about airing things on a forum like this. You are going to get unwelcome opinions and people who in your opinion are spouting off.
Maybe a reason for keeping things private until you have exhausted all other options.
Yourwellcum is offline  
06-04-2012, 20:03   #43
theboxingclinic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 465
We did exhaust all avenues and of course I do not like being disagreed with, name me one person who does.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourwellcum View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboxingclinic View Post
so you are saying that I am the unprofessional one? lol, who the hell are you?
Unfortunately for you it's exactly what happened and is indeed fact, I have an unbiased witness in the promoter and John Ging, so basically your spouting off about something u know nothing about.
Anyways the fight is back on, job done as far as I am concerned
A few things.

1, Never said you were unprofessional, I said our ideas on what constitutes it are different in this instance. I would never make wild accusations based on information I dont have. I am sure you are quite professional in your business as you seem to be doing quite well.

2, Unfortunatly for me how?? I was merely voicing my opinion. As You say I am not a stakeholder in this situation. You however chose to take it to a public forum, therefore I am permitted to comment within the rules of the forum.I wasnt spouting at all. You dont seem to like being disagreed with though.

3, As for who I am. I dont think it really matters all that much as I am making no accusations or saying anything controversial. You dont know me anyway. But as a fan of irish mma, I am a potential customer considering you are also a promoter. One who you kind of jumped on for voicing an opinion.

This is the point about airing things on a forum like this. You are going to get unwelcome opinions and people who in your opinion are spouting off.
Maybe a reason for keeping things private until you have exhausted all other options.
1)
theboxingclinic is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet