Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

night fishing

Options
  • 23-10-2009 4:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

i started a new job at the start of the year and its almost all night work. As a result i tend to be up pretty late.

Maybe a night a week if the weather is dry i stop off on my home and wet a line. I find its a great way to bleed off the stress of the workday. I very occasionally run into other anglers so i know im not the ONLY one.

So does anyone else here keep a rod in the car? Or at least night fish more than once or twice a year?

Tonight incidentally is one bite and nothing landed so far. And like usual, the sea trout are jumping just to make me keep looking every ten seconds. God but they never take anything..

P.s. Safe location, well lit, people know, etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

mawk wrote: »
    Tonight incidentally is one bite and nothing landed so far. And like usual, the sea trout are jumping just to make me keep looking every ten seconds. God but they never take anything..

Sea-trout season is closed Mawk. They will be getting ready to spawn soon. Best leave them be or there'll be no seatrout next year to go after.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

As Seafields said, the season is closed - if you're caught you face either an on-the-spot fine or prosecution. Find a spot for spinning or flyfishing for bass on the coast, and leave the sea trout alone to spawn. Plenty of time to fish for them next season.

During the season, I do a lot of night fishing, and yes, it can be great sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

oh i wasnt trying for the trout, i know they are out of season and if i caught one by fluke it'd go back. Just mentioned them as the noise of the hopping in the dead silence makes them sound the size of dolphins.

Mostly its pollock and occasional bass to spinners or shrimp rigs, usually no bait unless i happen to catch it on the night. Dont want it stinking out my car all day

ah right. Glad thats sorted. :)

I do most of my trout fishing, sea-trout and brownies, after dark during the summer.

Cod and whiting fishing off the wall in Monkstown can be good on a frosty winters evening. Better than being stuck in front of the telly!

can be a tackle graveyard though. If i could scuba dive i'd never buy another lead.

Only heard one positive result out off the wall this year. Apparently inundated with pin whiting other than that. You heard anything better?

• Advertisement

I fish light gear off the wall. 1oz lead on a spinning rod with 10lb line. Seems to work although thats for whiting rather than cod.

I haven't heard reports from the wall yet but I heard there are nice codling in Cobh. Haven't fished either place yet so cant verify that.

i always used heavier stuff to pull through snags. And cause i love dragging in congers when they play

How do you fish the light gear there? Close range with flappers and fish\squid baits? Or do you blast out a few lug as far as you can get with the light rod? If you dont mind me asking, always happy to hear tips

I usually fish in the rocks actually. The light gear and a running ledger rig keeps it from getting stuck too often and there can often be plenty of fish where the other anglers dare not risk there gear!

i tired your method last night, not indeed as snaggy as i expected, but still lost a hunk to the rocks. The only fish too, he got into the rocks after i hit the bite and started dragging him in.

I completely had the wrong end of the tide too, so ill have to try it again another time

Advertisement