Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing wine for a wedding?

• 26-08-2005 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

I would like to bring in wine from France for my wedding. What are the tax implications of this. Do I have to bring it in myself or can I dhl it. Any info or personal experiences apprecieted.

Cheers,
    NIH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

France charges 3 cents excise duty per bottle on wine sold in France. Spain and Italy charge zero while ripoff Ireland charges 235 cents per bottle. On top of the excise duty and the actual cost of the bottle of wine a 21 percent vat rate is then applied.
    Can't honestly say I know anything about importing wine but I do know that you are allowed a certain amount of bottles before you have to declare. I'd imagine that if you are importing a large amount of crates that you may have to pay the excise duty but that's only a presumption.
    Also worth considering is that even if you do supply your own wine for the wedding most hotels charge a nice hefty corking charge for opening the bottle. What great value you get for your money in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Another possibility would be to get the car & ferry, and buy your own. Obviously, time/geography/money permitting. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

As far as I know, if you bring it in yourself in the boot of the car you can claim that it's for your own use in which case you don't have to pay customs duty/vat on it.

If you bring it in by DHL, you'll most likely get a bill from them for customs charges when it's delivered to you.

Oh yeah, if you do decide to take the car to France, get some good quality champagne....it's ridiculously cheap !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Borrow a large van and go over on the ferry - the off-season is starting so you'll get tickets for pennies. AFAIK the allowance is 200 litres for wine - a bottle being 750ml. This really is irrelevant as customs rarely check single drivers unless its fortnight running up to christmass. There's a very decent wine and beer warehouse about a mile from roscoff ferry port so its not even like you'll be travelling that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Car and Ferry is the ticket. A friend did it for his wedding. He got champagne as well. Even with corkage costs in hotels,it was well worth it. I'll defer to others on quantities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

If your purchases are equivalent to or less than the quantities set out in the table below, they will usually be regarded as being for your personal use. If you exceed these quantities, you may have to demonstrate at Customs that the goods are for your personal use.

Wine (only 60 litres of sparkling wine allowed) 90 litres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

testicle wrote:
    If your purchases are equivalent to or less than the quantities set out in the table below, they will usually be regarded as being for your personal use. If you exceed these quantities, you may have to demonstrate at Customs that the goods are for your personal use.

Wine (only 60 litres of sparkling wine allowed) 90 litres
    Demonstrate? Like knock a bottle back to show him how fast you drink...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Heres the law:
    Taken from http://www.revenue.ie/

Traveller Information
    Duty Paid allowance for Travellers
    DUTY PAID AND TAX PAID GOODS.

No additional duty or tax will be charged on goods bought duty and tax paid (e.g. in shops, supermarkets etc.) in another EU country, provided the goods are for your personal use.

If your purchases are equivalent to or less than the quantities shown in the table they will, generally speaking, be regarded as for personal use. If you exceed these quantities you may have to prove that the goods are for your personal use.
    GOODS MAXIMUM QUANTITY

Cigarettes 800

Cigarillos 400

Cigars 200

Smoking Tobacco 1kg

Spirits (whiskey, gin, vodka, etc.) 10 litres

Intermediate Products (e.g. port, sherry,etc. but not including sparkling wine) 20 litres

Wine (of which only 60 litres can be sparkling) 90 litres

Beer 110 litres

However, there are specific limits on the amount of tobacco products you can bring into Ireland for your personal use which have been bought in the following EU countries:

CZECH REPUBLIC - 200 cigarettes OR 250g smoking tobacco OR 50 cigars OR 100 cigarillos.

ESTONIA - 200 cigarettes OR 250g smoking tobacco

HUNGARY, LATVIA, LITHUANIA, POLAND, SLOVAKIA, SLOVENIA - 200 cigarettes.

If you have tobacco products over these specific limits you must declare them to a customs officer in the red channel and pay the appropriate duties and taxes.

TRAVELLERS UNDER 17 ARE NOT ENTITLED TO TOBACCO OR DRINKS ALLOWANCES.
    Please Note.

Goods imported for commercial purposes must be declared to Customs.

You should keep your receipts as proof that you have paid duty and taxes.

Advertisement