Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New car suggestions

• 17-05-2011 9:21pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Alright everybody, it's about time I upgraded my car! So in the next few months i hope to buy something awesome. This is just one of those threads where i'm looking for as many different suggestions as possible!

Requirements:
    I'm primarily looking for something fun. I don't need space, and don't travel all that much.
    Mileage per year would be less than 10,000km. So petrol all the way.
    I'm not against large petrol engines.
    A good looking car is always a plus!

Budget is around 5000, cash buyer, no trade in.

The biggest problem i'll have is insurance. I'm 23, i have one year no claims in my own name, but also have 4 years named driving experience on top of that too.

The cars i've been looking at:
    Corolla T sport: Not all that many about, and a lot of them look like they've seen better days.
    Audi S3: Again, not a tonne around, I was surprised what online quotes were showing up on this one. About 1200, which seems reasonable!
    Audi TT: A lot around, i like the look of them, and insurance seems surprisingly okay.

I'd usually have tonnes of potential cars on the go. But they're the ones off the top of my head!

So what think yee???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Mk 1 Focus ST170 or mk 1 Leon Cupra?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

EPM wrote: »
    Mk 1 Focus ST170

Had been looking around online at those alright, but a lot of them look abused! I suppose it kind of comes with the territory when looking at the kind of cars i'm after!

The Cupra is definitely on the cards, online quotes seem a bit iffy on them though. Any of them i've tried have just refused to quote. But I suppose online quotes are terrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2006958

This is a very last of the line Ralliart FTO. I Think its the one that vicky butler Henderson tested on top gear.

Insurance can be tricky but worth it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

colm_mcm wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2006958

This is a very last of the line Ralliart FTO. I Think its the one that vicky butler Henderson tested on top gear.

Insurance can be tricky but worth it.

That's beautiful! And V6! To say I want it would be the understatement of the year.

As you said, insurance could be difficult/pricey. Would have to get some quotes on it!

LIGHTNING: Re Fiat Punto Sporting, it's one I had considered, and i suppose i wouldn't knock it off my list just yet. It would certainly be the cheapest to insure compared to the rest. But it really doesn't compare to the performance of the others either.

The celica has the same engine as the Corolla Tsport, but is more difficult to insure. Not wild on the looks either tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

MG ZT 190 or MG ZS 180:cool:

• Advertisement

johnos1984 wrote: »
    MG ZT 190 or MG ZR 180:cool:

ZS180 or ZR160 JohnBoy :P

Any interest in the likes of an e46 325i or 330i Alan??? They'll be insurance friendly but not tax friendly.

RoverJames wrote: »
    ZS180 or ZR160 JohnBoy :P
    I am a spakka.

Other things on the mind :mad:

The likes of this.......

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/3-Series/330Ci-mi/201105201121698/advert?channel=CARS

no-image-large.gif

For the extra tax it's a savage car in comparison to a T sport Corolla or an ST170.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

What about an automatic Polo?

Could I suggest a nice "IRISH SPEC" Corolla diesel :p

All the car you'll ever want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭simoniz

Go for T-Sport mate :)

Onkle wrote: »
    What about an automatic Polo?

You know the way i can ban you????

Yeah...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Wow a suggest me a car thread not started by Deutschlandfürimmer7 :) So in that case I suggest a Fiat Punto Sporting. How about a Celica?

i think you'l find i never actually started a suggest me a car thread, more an advise me on this car thread really

You know the way i can ban you????

Yeah...

LOL, actually Ottostreet from here is selling a 330ci for small money if that's your bag

The 330ci does interest me, but in reality, it'd probably cost me too much to justify. I mean 1200ish tax, 1200 insurance, + BMW running costs = unhappy student!

Although, that being said, for 3500 or there abouts it's one hell of a car. Maybe just keep it for a year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I've been looking at the very same thing for the last few weeks, and I had it narrowed down to 2 choices.

Choice 1 - the half sensible choice. A mk1 Focus ST. Very few for sale around Ireland, so I'd be going swimming for one. A few rough figures suggest a decent, low mileage 03/04 3dr could be landed for around 4.5/5k.

Choice 2 - The not-so-sensible choice. A Civic EP3 Type R. Deemed to be the softest of Type R Civics, they're going fairly cheap at the minute. Probably could pick one up for same as the Focus above. And what's not to like about a 200bhp hot hatch!

The insurance could be killer on the Civic though, but it should be too bad on the Focus.

As a cheaper resort, those FTO's seem to be going for cheap money at the minute. I'm considering buying one as a runaround for a few months.

As a cheaper resort, those FTO's seem to be going for cheap money at the minute. I'm considering buying one as a runaround for a few months.

I like the look of the FTO, but i'm worried insurance would be an issue. I'd be more interested in a 2.0 FTO V6, than a straight 6 330ci tbh. The bmw is a cracking car no doubt, but the cost of owning/running one worries me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I like the look of the FTO, but i'm worried insurance would be an issue. I'd be more interested in a 2.0 FTO V6, than a straight 6 330ci tbh. The bmw is a cracking car no doubt, but the cost of owning/running one worries me!

Well, if you pick up an FTO for 2.5/3k, you'll have the extra wedge to insure it. That's how I'm looking at it.

Also, if you want something a little different, I think a Fiesta ST could just squeeze into your budget. They seem to be cheap in the UK at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1965947

missing its center caps, but still a fine looking car.

andyseadog wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1965947

missing its center caps, but still a fine looking car.

Not for me. Too large, don't like the look of them, and even from reading the title, i presume it would be next to impossible to insure for a 23 year old!

Cheers for the suggestions though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Squall19

Well, if you pick up an FTO for 2.5/3k, you'll have the extra wedge to insure it. That's how I'm looking at it.

Also, if you want something a little different, I think a Fiesta ST could just squeeze into your budget. They seem to be cheap in the UK at the minute.

I would go that way as well, they are a class machine.V6 sound is just class, great performance, light, last of a dying breed of cars.

Fiesta's, Corolla's, just cant compare.

What's the difference between the Ralliart and standard GPX?

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

That car is RHD chief

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

Onkle wrote: »
    That car is RHD chief

sorry, I was thinking of the barchetta.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Mully_2011

bazz26 wrote: »

What is the obession with those yokes round in nearly every thread there metioned good yokes all the same

this is quite cool

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1927278

that red fto is a beaut good money too considering how many rough 96 spec itrs are out there for 3.5k

• Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Squall19 wrote: »

What's the difference between the Ralliart and standard GPX?

Very little. At the time RalliArt were importing the evo, galant vr4, and fto, fitting them with immobilisers, mph clocks, rear fog lights for the uk market.
    Big difference is that they were sold new in the uk as opposed to being 'grey' imports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Isnt Draffodx selling his ST. I know it might be out of budget but its very clean

bazz26 wrote: »

I had considered it, and it would probably be the easiest to insure, but it's just fugly as hell! If the insurance quotes on the FTO and the likes are flat refusals i'll come back to the octy vrs and the likes.
    -Corkie- wrote: »
    Isnt Draffodx selling his ST. I know it might be out of budget but its very clean

I could push out the budget to a ST, but I just couldn't justify it at the minute. Maybe in a few years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Advertisement