Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I wasn't looking for medical advice, I was just wondering if that had happened to anybody else....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Hi GUYS,
    I have bben following this thread from the beginning. I suffer from depression and anxiety ( mainly social anxiety). I am not on any medication right now excapt clonazepam which I take as needed. I have a bad experience with ssris, they made me manic and a bit crazy so I dont think I will try them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Novella wrote: »
    I wasn't looking for medical advice, I was just wondering if that had happened to anybody else....

you specifically asked if your new-onset physical symptoms could be related to your medication regime.

they might be

but also they might not be

that question is looking for medical advice

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Right...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

sam34 wrote: »
    you specifically asked if your new-onset physical symptoms could be related to your medication regime.

they might be

but also they might not be

that question is looking for medical advice

I probably should not butt in here (!) but, when you suffer depression/anxiety you constantly wonder about symptoms and reactions - it goes with the territory. I didn't read the question (as it was blocked!) but my guess is it was genuinely asked out of concern/curiosity. Similarly, I would assume that no-one would take information from a site such as this as medical advice or diagnosis and would visit their Doctor for such information. But to discuss physical symptoms associated with depression/anxiety or medication seems pretty reasonable to me on forum such as this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Shazanne wrote: »
    Similarly, I would assume that no-one would take information from a site such as this as medical advice or diagnosis and would visit their Doctor for such information.

unfortunately, thats an incorrect assumption. lots of people do take information from the internet, and this is so dodgy and unsafe. people sometimes find it easier type something out rather than ask a doctor face to face. its so dangerous because literally anyone can put any (mis)information out there with no accountability.

while i know full well that there are physical signs and symptoms associated with depression and anxiety, the question posed was whether new symptoms could be related to a change in medication. now, while they might be, they also may very well not be. there could be 100 other causes, none of us here know the posters medical history, other meds, have done a physical examination ect. therefore none of us are in a position to comment or offer advice.

sam34 wrote: »
    unfortunately, thats an incorrect assumption. lots of people do take information from the internet, and this is so dodgy and unsafe. people sometimes find it easier type something out rather than ask a doctor face to face. its so dangerous because literally anyone can put any (mis)information out there with no accountability.

while i know full well that there are physical signs and symptoms associated with depression and anxiety, the question posed was whether new symptoms could be related to a change in medication. now, while they might be, they also may very well not be. there could be 100 other causes, none of us here know the posters medical history, other meds, have done a physical examination ect. therefore none of us are in a position to comment or offer advice.

Point taken and appreciated. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

I was told by the secretary of the counselling service she'd contact me this week re an appointment, but she hasn't. I find that quite appalling. If I was any more on the edge than I already am, that could have sent me over, IMO. I've been waiting weeks and weeks now. I am really shocked at how difficult it is to get help. It's difficult enough to reach out and tell someone you need help, and then you just get ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    I was told by the secretary of the counselling service she'd contact me this week re an appointment, but she hasn't. I find that quite appalling. If I was any more on the edge than I already am, that could have sent me over, IMO. I've been waiting weeks and weeks now. I am really shocked at how difficult it is to get help. It's difficult enough to reach out and tell someone you need help, and then you just get ignored.

Sorry to hear that Izzy, your spot on it's appalling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭C_Dawg

I am really shocked at how difficult it is to get help. It's difficult enough to reach out and tell someone you need help, and then you just get ignored.

I felt like that myself too when I was in my darkest mindset. Keep pursuing them though and keep posting here as it's good to talk as they say :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

When I was depressed badly ( and you guys know how difficult it is to go to a doctor about these things ) i eventually got the guts to go. This was without doubt the worst depression of my life. The doc did nothing except refer me to a private psychiatrist which I saw 2 and a half months later. So I spent several months being extremely depressed and suicidal and then after a 15 minute talk with the psychiatrist and me becoming 250 Euro poorer he prescibed 10 mg lexapro. The lexapro made me manic for a few months but thats a different story. Why the hell could my gp not have prescibed the medication in the first place (maybe its because I am only 23 and he wanted to get me assesed). Overall my experience of the whole thing has been bad and unfortunately I didi not recieve and major help from seeking help. If I eveer get badly depressed again, I wont be going to a doctor so he can prescribe medication that does not even work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

C_Dawg wrote: »
    I felt like that myself too when I was in my darkest mindset. Keep pursuing them though and keep posting here as it's good to talk as they say :)

I will. I just find it so frustrating, as I just read an article in the college paper about how some people are getting appointments after only one or two weeks after breaking up with a girlfriend, or something. I know depression affects everyone differently, but I will admit I found this irritating. I was advised to go for counselling on the back of my medical issues, and yet I'm waiting weeks and weeks. I assumed there were needier cases but the article didn't make it sound like that, it sounded as if people just wanted a chat about things and it was easy to arrange that. I've had several days where I ended up smashing things in my flat and sobbing on the floor and feeling utterly hopeless when I received yet more bad news from the doctor or yet another setback, and here I am still waiting because apparently I don't need urgent help. I strongly suspect that some people are ticking 'suicidal' on the form to get seen faster, which I find totally unethical. I would be very hesitant to even suggest that unless I thought there was a very good chance of me going through with it, as I would hate to take a place from someone who was really really desperate, but I'm pretty sure other people are doing it. :mad:

I will. I just find it so frustrating, as I just read an article in the college paper about how some people are getting appointments after only one or two weeks after breaking up with a girlfriend, or something. I know depression affects everyone differently, but I will admit I found this irritating. I was advised to go for counselling on the back of my medical issues, and yet I'm waiting weeks and weeks. I assumed there were needier cases but the article didn't make it sound like that, it sounded as if people just wanted a chat about things and it was easy to arrange that. I've had several days where I ended up smashing things in my flat and sobbing on the floor and feeling utterly hopeless when I received yet more bad news from the doctor or yet another setback, and here I am still waiting because apparently I don't need urgent help. I strongly suspect that some people are ticking 'suicidal' on the form to get seen faster, which I find totally unethical.
    I would be very hesitant to even suggest that unless I thought there was a very good chance of me going through with it, as I would hate to take a place from someone who was really really desperate, but I'm pretty sure other people are doing it. :mad:

I don't know how they work their system, but just from my experience in a few clinics, yes we may fast track the odd person. However, apart from that any place I worked always work from a from a list. Where a person was referred they are always placed at the end of the list. Everybody situation is unique to them, and everybodys problem is important to them.

The is little a psychotherapist or counsellor can do for somebody who is actively suicidal, the first port of call should be a psychiatrist, we come on board after that, not before it. I have to say its really a poor show from that service.

Look personally I'm not a big fan of CBT, however, I acknowlegde that people find it helpful and respect those who work that way, it may be an ideal to google some CBT self help programmes. Some people find them useful, and they be helpful whilst your waiting. Here is one example http://www.cognitivebehaviourtherapy.org.uk/

I just had a quick look, you have to be careful with the net as yourself, but check out a few. They are no substitute for therapy, but it can be better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Odysseus wrote: »
    it may be an ideal to google some CBT self help programmes. Some people find them useful, and they be helpful whilst your waiting. Here is one example http://www.cognitivebehaviourtherapy.org.uk/.

Being a CBT person, here's a few sites:
    http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinformation/therapies/cognitivebehaviouraltherapy.aspx

http://www.livingcbt.com/freeselfhelp.html

Robinsons (publishers) have a series of self-help books by prominent CBT people called "Overcoming...." (ie overcoming anger, overcoming anxiety, etc)

to find CBT people who are properly accredited:
    BABCP for Ireland and UK (see under Republic of Ireland for here)
    ICP (see under CBT Section) for Ireland, mostly in the HSE where treatment is free

will butt out now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

Now on 150mg of seroquel and find it is making me very tired:mad:

I take Anafranil and Mirap everynight and the tiredness hits me hard about an hour afterwards. I do be in bed til about 1pm the next day and am extremely groggy for a few hours afterwards. I'm not as down in the dumps but I feel like I'm wasting my days on it too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Dose increased to 100mg Sertraline today.

Been on 2 x SJW for 3 months, then 50mg Fluoxethine for 6 weeks, then 50mg Sertraline for 3 weeks and now up to 100mg Sertraline.

Seriously, do anti-depressants even DO anything? It can't be good for my body to have been on so many different meds in only a few months :/

Hotaru wrote: »
    Seriously, do anti-depressants even DO anything? It can't be good for my body to have been on so many different meds in only a few months :/

I know how ya feel, been switching meds for about 7 months now. I know at times it seems like they're doing f all but I'd hate to think what I'd be like without them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

zimovain wrote: »
    Now on 150mg of seroquel and find it is making me very tired:mad:

Yeah I've heard that can be one of the side-effects alright, would be interested in hearing your experiences on Seroquel as I might be switching to it from Olonzapine in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Hotaru wrote: »
    Dose increased to 100mg Sertraline today.

Been on 2 x SJW for 3 months, then 50mg Fluoxethine for 6 weeks, then 50mg Sertraline for 3 weeks and now up to 100mg Sertraline.

Can take two months or longer to make significant change and thats if that particular drug works for you. They do cause changes in the brain but you also need to make changes in your behaviours /thinking/actions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Hey everyone, was going around random forums this evening, and I found this thread.

I was diagnosed with depression a few months ago. The psychiatrist put me on 20mg cipramil, which seems to be kind of working. Well, I suppose. Last week I was made go into A&E because my GP felt I was a suicide risk, which I definitely was looking back on it now. At the time, I felt so bad that I didn't think so, it just felt the same as usual.

For some reason, I always seem to feel worse after going to counselling though :confused: Does anyone else find that? I know it's helpful to get my issues out in the open (especially because I don't feel comfortable saying it to my friends), but I always end up feeling really down after an appointment. I just kind of copped that on today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

flyswatter wrote: »
    Yeah I've heard that can be one of the side-effects alright, would be interested in hearing your experiences on Seroquel as I might be switching to it from Olonzapine in the summer.

It's working quite well for me, 50mg three times daily keeps my anxiety in check and my racing mind is calmed. I am feeling a bit drowsy but I can still function quite well, I'm quite enjoying the relaxation tbh. Thumbs up from me and I hope it works out for you if you are put on it.

For some reason, I always seem to feel worse after going to counselling though :confused: Does anyone else find that?

I got that myself. Ended up packing it in altogether. My psychiatrist originally told me I have clinical depression and going to counselling wouldn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gibs

Being a CBT person, here's a few sites:
    http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinformation/therapies/cognitivebehaviouraltherapy.aspx

http://www.livingcbt.com/freeselfhelp.html

Robinsons (publishers) have a series of self-help books by prominent CBT people called "Overcoming...." (ie overcoming anger, overcoming anxiety, etc)

to find CBT people who are properly accredited:
    BABCP for Ireland and UK (see under Republic of Ireland for here)
    ICP (see under CBT Section) for Ireland, mostly in the HSE where treatment is free
    will butt out now

Here's amother very useful site. It's an entire course of CBT with voiceovers, handy forms and lots of other helpful things. It's done in modules so you can go at your own pace.

[QUOTE=Your Text Here;65505567

For some reason, I always seem to feel worse after going to counselling though :confused: Does anyone else find that? I know it's helpful to get my issues out in the open (especially because I don't feel comfortable saying it to my friends), but I always end up feeling really down after an appointment. I just kind of copped that on today.[/QUOTE]

Bring that topic when you go back. A lot of people drop out of therapy for that reason. In general, a person may speak of very difficult topics during a session, so they may feel a tad low following the session. At the end of the day, therapy is not about happiness, it's about living life with the cards you have been deal, or maybe being able to change the hand you current have.

As I said, it's not necessarily a bad thing if a person feels like that after a session.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Why are the supposedly simple things in life so damn difficult? I really want to be able to drive. As i've mentioned in here before i did the theory test and passed it. But now i have to do an eye test and get passport photos taken and then if i do manage all that the worst is yet to come. A driving lesson. How the hell am i ever going to manage that? I mean some normal people even get nervous about driving lessons. I don't know if i'll ever be able to do that. But i so need to. I feel like such a looser not being able to drive and it's impractical too.
    Sorry. Bit of a rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

phi3 wrote: »
    Why are the supposedly simple things in life so damn difficult? I really want to be able to drive. As i've mentioned in here before i did the theory test and passed it. But now i have to do an eye test and get passport photos taken and then if i do manage all that the worst is yet to come. A driving lesson. How the hell am i ever going to manage that? I mean some normal people even get nervous about driving lessons. I don't know if i'll ever be able to do that. But i so need to. I feel like such a looser not being able to drive and it's impractical too.
    Sorry. Bit of a rant.
    I totally understand where you are coming from, even the kids I used to babysit have cars now. I didn't start driving until 2 weeks ago, due to absolute terror at the thought, but need a car to get a job in my field. Eye test is simple, very private with just an optician there, passport photos you can take by yourself. I know you can do that, you did the hard part: the theory test, and passed it! That was great. I'm learning with a learner school so I know at any stage my instructor has full control over the car with their set of pedals. I also told them when I started that I was super nervous (I threw up before my lesson with nerves) and they brought me to an industrial estate in the middle of nowhere and I learnt how the car reacts to me. I'm now confident on the road in week 3, which I honestly swear I never, ever thought would happen. I don't know you, but I still have faith in you!

taram wrote: »
    I totally understand where you are coming from, even the kids I used to babysit have cars now. I didn't start driving until 2 weeks ago, due to absolute terror at the thought, but need a car to get a job in my field. Eye test is simple, very private with just an optician there, passport photos you can take by yourself. I know you can do that, you did the hard part: the theory test, and passed it! That was great. I'm learning with a learner school so I know at any stage my instructor has full control over the car with their set of pedals. I also told them when I started that I was super nervous (I threw up before my lesson with nerves) and they brought me to an industrial estate in the middle of nowhere and I learnt how the car reacts to me. I'm now confident on the road in week 3, which I honestly swear I never, ever thought would happen. I don't know you, but I still have faith in you!

That was a wonderful reply Taram. I had read this post last night and wanted to offer advice but not sound patronising. You answered it perfectly, proving just how important this thread is. I do hope Phi3 takes your advice on board - I know only too well how difficult these things can be. Best of luck to both of you:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Well, here I am finally with the courage to post and admit that I am " anxious ".

Had a bad turn in February where I thought I was fainting and was sent home from work and was told by Doc it was probably Vertigo. However, it was eventually found to be panic attacks caused by anxiety as I have long suffered with OCD and am a constant worrier.

Have been referred to a councillor and am due for a second visit this weekend. I constantly have a heavyness in my head, like a dense headache and now and then it feels like my head is going to explode! Fed up of it at this stage, especially as my life is actually quite good, no genuine worries that some of those in the current economy face, so it makes it really hard to understand.

Constantly worry about getting sick, dying, my image, my kids getting hurt, if I hurt them, etc, etc and am SO tired by it all I'm in bed most nights by 10!

Any advice is much welcomed and I hope this board can both give and take help from fellow sufferers.

Thanks,

Paul

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I constantly have a heavyness in my head, like a dense headache and now and then it feels like my head is going to explode!

I get that feeling too! It's very annoying. I find just getting away from everything or doing some deep breathing for a few minutes helps :) Hopefully you're on the road to sorting out your anxiety now, best of luck to you!

I've been feeling very down these past few weeks, similar to what I was feeling before I started on the cipramil. Everything just seems so difficult at the moment. I can't work up the energy to clean my room even :( I've an appointment with the psychiatrist on Friday so I'll see what he thinks. Bah, being depressed sucks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement