Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Server 2008R2 - Home/SME AV Suite?

Options
  • 17-11-2014 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Set up '08 R2 on my new NAS/Home Server unit a few weeks ago. Everythings up and running peachy except antivirus. Its running in a totally residential role, no AD services etc. Only thing anyway complex is a VPN host. So, while enterpise AV suits are great, they dont suit my use case. MSE/Avast Free etc would be perfect for it, except nothing will install on a server OS. They expect you to use the business or enterprise product but thats €80pa. at the minimum. Only compatible free option is ClamWin which is open source, reasonably effective, but has no real time protection which is a very big caveat.

Anyone know of a decent home licence av suite(student discounts would be even better) that'll install on '08?

Thanks,
    ED-E

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

MSE will install just fine on Server 2008/12. I have it running on a 2012R2 Home AD lab. Nothing special required.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

D'oh, misread the MS post about it stating that it was unsupported, not incompatible. Installing now. Thanks Ken.

Advertisement