Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sky Ireland Fibre Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Alessia7

From what I've read on sky.com's forums as many of you all know,
    Sky started trialling eircoms fibre broadband April 2013.
    For some stupid reason they want to trial it for a whole year before selling it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭degsie

Alessia7 wrote: »
    From what I've read on sky.com's forums as many of you all know,
    Sky started trialling eircoms fibre broadband April 2013.
    For some stupid reason they want to trial it for a whole year before selling it!

Eircom only started rolling out eFibre in May 2013, so I don't think this is accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

degsie wrote: »
    Eircom only started rolling out eFibre in May 2013, so I don't think this is accurate.

The trials had been completed by then and several other operstors launched services on the platform too. Sky actually even wrote to Comreg trying to delay efibre's launch claiming they needed more time. Documents are all on comreg website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

Sky's fibre trial is only really going 6-7 months max, there's still some things to do on it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Wils110 wrote: »
    Sky's fibre trial is only really going 6-7 months max, there's still some things to do on it

Even if that is true I've waited long enough, come the 18th of this month I'm ringing Vodafone to leave Sky.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

Get an offer on your bb for 6 months then get the fibre with sky. All you'll do is save money

Get an offer on your bb for 6 months then get the fibre with sky. All you'll do is save money

Thats actually exactly what I'm going to do! I'm ringing up on 18/3 to try get a better offer and if not it's off to Vodafone or UPC. I really don't want to leave Sky as I love their little Hub but the speeds are woeful.

I read someone rang sky to leave and switch, and they gave them it half price so just €20 for 6 months no new contract!

I read someone rang sky to leave and switch, and they gave them it half price so just €20 for 6 months no new contract!

That seems to be the offer that's going around alright. I joined Sky last April and if I had waited just 1 more month I would have been able to get Fibre!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Afaik, and including myself,what the original triallists got was an offer of €27.50 a month for 6 months, with no contract.

• Advertisement

We (eagerly awaiting sky bb customers) will have fibre soon. I'm sure it'll be sometime between may and Xmas haha
    Eircom only just this month activated our area. I think even when fibre arrives I won't be fussed, used to download 10-20 movies a month and a few ps3 games. Now just use Netflix USA and movie box on iPad streaming in hd :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Like what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Can I ask what?they are reselling eircom something Vodafone have been doing

Can I ask what?they are reselling eircom something Vodafone have been doing

Different router, different support staff, different backhaul... Remember that Sky were much later to enter the market then other ISP's so were not as embedded as Vodafone, for example. I'd say the main concentration so far is to build up a decent customer base. The risk here is that they may actually lose customers if they leave the fibre rollout too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Thats actually exactly what I'm going to do! I'm ringing up on 18/3 to try get a better offer and if not it's off to Vodafone or UPC. I really don't want to leave Sky as I love their little Hub but the speeds are woeful.

Don't expect that to improve with fibre unless the the seriously improve their backhaul network. That's the real delay. The trialling excuse is only a con job. They're already doing fibre in the UK so the know how it's done and how their equipment works.

I'm ringing up tomorrow now to either get a better offer for Sky or give them notice of cancellation and go to Vodafone. Do Vodafone still have the €3 Vodafone Mobile discount does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I can confirm this. I was offered (and accepted) the very same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I'm ringing up tomorrow now to either get a better offer for Sky or give them notice of cancellation and go to Vodafone. Do Vodafone still have the €3 Vodafone Mobile discount does anyone know?

No the €3 was discontinued Sat two weeks ago but they still have the €10 off if you take the 2 yr contract and are a bill phone cust... Sky will more than likely give you a save offer though

Any update on the actual availability of Skyfibre?

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    No the €3 was discontinued Sat two weeks ago but they still have the €10 off if you take the 2 yr contract and are a bill phone cust... Sky will more than likely give you a save offer though
    Sadly I'm not Bill Pay!
    I missed the 3 months free in January and now this...
    Sky please PLEASE offer Fibre soon.
    Btw thanks for your reply.

• Advertisement

Any update on the actual availability of Skyfibre?

End of April (2014) seems to be getting mentioned a lot.
    When I ring tomorrow to cancel I will ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭xii

I rang to cancelish today, apparently they are trialling fibre in their own office atm, I'll give them another 3 months after all my discounts then I'm off.

xii wrote: »
    I rang to cancelish today, apparently they are trialling fibre in their own office atm, I'll give them another 3 months after all my discounts then I'm off.

I thought atm's use dialup.

I thought atm's use dialup.

Atm = at the moment:D.

Atm = at the moment:D.

*whisper* I know ....:)

Still no update on Sky Fibre yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Ah sur they are testing it don't you know.

Still no update on Sky Fibre yet...

I heard it's tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭markad1

I was onto them the other day to cancel the phone and bb. They didn't seem too bothered, it's looking like the end of the year if even that.
    They didn't even try to offer a deal to stay.
    If they were honest about it and said it will be a no. of months that's something, but the rubbish of not knowing. ....good luck!
    When I said I want to cancel the tv too your man changed his tune. Told them if sky can't offer the fibre I don't want anymore to do with them.
    So notice given (again):rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I heard it's tomorrow...

Don't even joke at me like that I've been waiting so long! :pac:

Advertisement