Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[FEEDBACK] any suggestions on how to improve the forum? post them here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Steve wrote: »
    I don't think there's a need for a separate forum, if I get off my ass and do something about the thread prefixes, it should go a long way towards addressing that.

There was a point in the rules about putting in a prefix on your ads. Regrettably it was hit or miss as to whether or not people choose to follow it and proved too frustrating to apply by way of enforcement.

A dropdownlist-box would help that, although that's potentially a code-issue for the lads to sanction (or not).
    As regards bumping, I'd like to tie it down to something solid.

What do you think about a rule saying:

You can bump once every three days up to a maximum of three bumps. If nobody replies after three bumps then you cannot bump again unless it's to post a price drop or other significant change.
    If you get a reply, for example after two bumps, you then start again and get three bumps from the date of the reply.

Reads good, although I would limit that to either the first week, or first two weeks of an adverts life. After that I'd consider some sort of sliding scale backwards since either the interest isn't there, or folks aren't too bothered at that moment in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Deadpool

I think that "where you are based" on the ad is a must.How many ads have the lads talked about price for 2 pages and then said sorry your too far away.You have to say for trade or for sale.just in dublin or kildare dont cut it.saying you live in swords dosnt give me too much info but enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭AGB_Ghost

maybe status' like

[clothing] [AEG] [Springer] [EBB] [GBB] [communication] [AEG Accessories] [internal parts]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭defenderdude

Ok, I don’t often rant but occasionally I need to open the valve...

This is just a general observation as opposed to trying to single out individuals but I'm sick to my back teeth of the amount of pi$$ takers on airsoft adverts.

Thread spoiling is frowned upon, and rightly so. But standing by and looking at:

Spanners who make idiotic low value offers on equipment/guns or thread spoil (any pics, I like ur gun, if I had the money I might buy... etc),
    Yet clearly have neither the interest nor the money to complete a deal - but due to some unknown condition (probably Qwerty Diahoreea) can’t stay away from a thread.

Chancers taking the complete pi$$ with the value of their guns is depressing. Nobody intervenes (cause of the thread spoiling rule) therefore a new player just sees the propaganda and believes the BS and probably buys when they can get better value on a gun elsewhere.

Guys selling €150 guns for €350 (clearly chancing their arms) is silly and ultimately bad for the forums and helping contribute in the decline of, one of its last worthwhile features.
    Most of what some guys’ class as upgrades are simply "needed to be done modifications to get a gun running half ok" in the first place.:confused:

Many of these chancers tend to be guys who have no interest in boards or the forum and clearly just register to sell their $hit. Fair enough – but some level of scrutiny should be expected. We are quick enough to blast our retailers about prices so why not the chancers...

I am all for a free and open market for people to sell their stuff at whatever price and under whatever conditions they want - but I think there is an responsibility on us the users, and the moderators, to offer some degree of protection assistance/help, by way of advice or peer pressure from the sharks and chancers who want to avail of the captive market that is boards airsoft users. I think it’s getting worse here but I may be just getting more cranky in my old age.

Many of us are long enough here to realise the quality or value of a gun (or not as it may be) and most are happy to pay or expect the worth, but there are many newer players who really don’t have an iota and it's gutting to see them being tailpiped.

I guess what I am attempting to say is: what can be done or should anything be done?

I am happy enough to continue with the status quo
    and if things stay the same, well... as The Cable Guys says... "no sweat off my sack."

But I think there is an onus on us more experienced users, collectors, players - to expose the charlatans and try keep a degree of integrity here in Boards.ie Airsoft Adverts.
    I realise it's practically impossible to admin and implement but if we don’t have principals we have nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Deadpool

Ok, I don’t often rant but occasionally I need to open the valve...

This is just a general observation as opposed to trying to single out individuals but I'm sick to my back teeth of the amount of pi$$ takers on airsoft adverts.

Thread spoiling is frowned upon, and rightly so. But standing by and looking at:

Spanners who make idiotic low value offers on equipment/guns or thread spoil (any pics, I like ur gun, if I had the money I might buy... etc),
    Yet clearly have neither the interest nor the money to complete a deal - but due to some unknown condition (probably Qwerty Diahoreea) can’t stay away from a thread.

Chancers taking the complete pi$$ with the value of their guns is depressing. Nobody intervenes (cause of the thread spoiling rule) therefore a new player just sees the propaganda and believes the BS and probably buys when they can get better value on a gun elsewhere.

Guys selling €150 guns for €350 (clearly chancing their arms) is silly and ultimately bad for the forums and helping contribute in the decline of, one of its last worthwhile features.
    Most of what some guys’ class as upgrades are simply "needed to be done modifications to get a gun running half ok" in the first place.:confused:

Many of these chancers tend to be guys who have no interest in boards or the forum and clearly just register to sell their $hit. Fair enough – but some level of scrutiny should be expected. We are quick enough to blast our retailers about prices so why not the chancers...

I am all for a free and open market for people to sell their stuff at whatever price and under whatever conditions they want - but I think there is an responsibility on us the users, and the moderators, to offer some degree of protection assistance/help, by way of advice or peer pressure from the sharks and chancers who want to avail of the captive market that is boards airsoft users. I think it’s getting worse here but I may be just getting more cranky in my old age.

Many of us are long enough here to realise the quality or value of a gun (or not as it may be) and most are happy to pay or expect the worth, but there are many newer players who really don’t have an iota and it's gutting to see them being tailpiped.

I guess what I am attempting to say is: what can be done or should anything be done?

I am happy enough to continue with the status quo
    and if things stay the same, well... as The Cable Guys says... "no sweat off my sack."

But I think there is an onus on us more experienced users, collectors, players - to expose the charlatans and try keep a degree of integrity here in Boards.ie Airsoft Adverts.
    I realise it's practically impossible to admin and implement but if we don’t have principals we have nothing.

In full agreement with this.there is also the fool.like me who buys a gun for more than there worth then comes on and expects people to pay the same.How about a rough price guide.I know that classic ford buyers do this.its not law just an idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭defenderdude

Deadpool wrote: »
    In full agreement with this.there is also the fool.like me who buys a gun for more than there worth then comes on and expects people to pay the same.
    How about a rough price guide.I know that classic ford buyers do this.its not law just an idea.

Totally agreed. I know it was spoken about in the past and is probably very difficult to agree on figures but I think we need to do something. I

Also, in fairness - if people paid alot of money for a gun - it's fair for them to expect to try get some of it back.

I think the price guide is a very good idea. It's just a guide but may help sellers and buyers justify prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

I think the best guideline I have ever heard RE selling second hand gear is:
    "Whatever you paid for it; half it"

And it'll sell :P

I'm in agreement with DefenderDude's general sentiment. The implementation however is more fraught and less straight forward than the agreement.

On the note of people low-balling, I did create a thread warning folks about that in the months before I retired as mod of the forum, but at the same time all the other guy has to say is "thanks but no thanks". So whilst there is an element of p*ss taking that needs kept in check by the mods, users have ultimate say over their own cash.

On the more tricky issue of spotting a dishonest/grossly over-priced advert, I can well sympathise with posters who are on the sidelines pulling their hair out whilst trying not to thread-spoil. Where approached by users about such threads I used to try take pains to challenge the user in a manner that wasn't confrontational whilst allowing others read between the lines, and I think that the current mods perhaps need to step up to that (or users made aware that mods are willing to do so),

OR

an experimental rule could be brought in to allow the challenging of such pricing. It would need clinically (we're talking 'surgical' here) defined scope/rules and be very heavily monitored/moderated with vexatious behaviour not just b*tch-slapped but slapped into last century. In short, users would need to be damn sure of what they write before jumping in because it is essentially an accusation.

Either path creates more workload for the mods (hey-ho, welcome to adverts boys ... ). In the case of the former, it relies on the mods having a good command of tact and how to steer users politely. In the case of the latter it brings us down a path of unknown territory with risk of going spectacularly wrong when/if abused by users (and equally ended in spectacular firey brimestone & death bannings I'm sure)

Inari wrote: »
    I think the best guideline I have ever heard RE selling second hand gear is:
    "Whatever you paid for it; half it"

And it'll sell :P

No. The best guideline regarding selling second hand gear is;

"If you're not interested, don't post".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I like the price guide idea.

I've honestly no idea what airsoft kit is actually worth - that's not to say it's not moderatable, all adverts mods have the same issue to different degrees.

Current policy on adverts.ie is to allow someone point out blatant mispricing / and /or / worth to a mod (via the reporting feature) and include some evidence of what they are claiming. If a mod agrees, the mod posts the information on the thread - that circumvents the threadspoiling rule and has traceability. There is, however, no real policy on lowballing.

Idea:
    Start a thread here called "Price guide for used Airsoft items"

Anyone who has bought something here (and felt they had gotten a fair deal) can post in it as follows:

Item: *description of item bought*
    Condition: *as new; used but mint; needing repair; broken; etc..*
    Extras included: *scope; tripod; extra mags; whatever*
    Price paid: €xxx
    Link to ad: *linky*

If someone posts a lowball offer then the seller can point out posts in the price guide thread and keep their credibility. If something is grossly overpriced then a mod can post a link in response to a reported post.

It becomes a grey area when people price their ads and, naturally, add some wiggle room to the price so they can barter and still get what they want. That would be a mod call though. I don't want to start some thing where someone lists an ad at €110 and the precedent is €105 and have to deal with two thousand million reported posts about it being €5 over the guide price.

What's your thoughts on the above?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

Just add the additional price-paid section to Feedback.

For a specific price guide, I would recommend a single post locked and stickied, dealing with what kinds of prices items are worth. It should be rather general, focusing on manufacturers, about depreciation etc. It should NOT be an attempt at a comprehensive list, but rather the kinds of prices for the kind of items. It should be a help for people to identify whether an item for sale is worth the price.

Are there any governing rules on trades, or is the value of a trade completely up to the two parties involved? I've just seen a couple of instances of people being ripped off in a trade

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

Regards overpriced items I think a price giude would not work due to too many variables, a simple pm to a mod giving a link to the thread in question with a realistic price and evidance to back this up would be handier, at the end of the day an item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

thermo wrote: »
    Regards overpriced items I think a price giude would not work due to too many variables, a simple pm to a mod giving a link to the thread in question with a realistic price and evidance to back this up would be handier, at the end of the day an item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

I would be inclined to agree with this. A price-guide would - imo - become unworkable very quickly given the vast number of variables to take into account; e.g. Classic Army m15A4 (pre-sportsline era) vs. Classic Army m15A4 sportsline. The two AEGs are worlds apart in quality and performance, yet appear relatively the same on paper until you start delving into manufacturing timescales and internal workings. And that's before people start performing upgrades or replacements either externally or internally.

The other danger is that people would start using a price-guide as a literal tool with which to beat someone else's asking price, no matter how reasonable the asking price and/or how unreasonable the offer.

Once a protocol is in place that allows users to approach mods, and what is expected of them, regarding a questionable advert I think it would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Horse84

Current policy on adverts.ie is to allow someone point out blatant mispricing / and /or / worth to a mod (via the reporting feature) and include some evidence of what they are claiming. If a mod agrees, the mod posts the information on the thread - that circumvents the threadspoiling rule and has traceability. There is, however, no real policy on lowballing.

Would agree with lemming and thermo above. A price guide, while a good idea in principle, is just not workable imho.
    i definitely think the rule that a poster can post a link to site and say hey look you can get this here on this site here for x amount and make the op's asking price seem high and continue to question the asking price while not taking into account import duties, vat, p&p and possible downgrade charges for airsoft devices needs to be looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Vents

Would it be fair to say that if you don't like the asking price a selling is requesting and your (educated and researched) reasonable offer is rejected, you would wish the seller all the best and leave it there?

Let's say the seller then thinks "why can't I sell this KJW M1911? I'm only asking €250 for it. I know I'll bump"

They are then are subject to the bumping law.

The thread falls off the front page for a while till finally....

"Right lads, I'll let this go for €80 and a chocolate biscuit"

At this point a quick 1st refusal to the original rejected offer would be nice, no?
    Assuming you never said "offer withdrawn and GLWS"

I don't know that a price guide for airsoft adverts is needed. :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

OK, seems that the price guide thread is not a good idea. Hey, this thread works :D.
    Horse84 wrote: »
    Would agree with lemming and thermo above. A price guide, while a good idea in principle, is just not workable imho.
    i definitely think the rule that a poster can post a link to site and say hey look you can get this here on this site here for x amount and make the op's asking price seem high and continue to question the asking price while not taking into account import duties, vat, p&p and possible downgrade charges for airsoft devices needs to be looked at.
    Presently, under the rules, you can post a link to where the exact same item is available elsewhere in order to justify an offer you are making. If you're just an onlooker and feel the price is way off, then sending a pm to a mod or reporting a post and including some credible link would seem to be the best way to deal with it.
    Vents wrote: »
    Would it be fair to say that if you don't like the asking price a selling is requesting and your (educated and researched) reasonable offer is rejected, you would wish the seller all the best and leave it there?

Let's say the seller then thinks "why can't I sell this KJW M1911? I'm only asking €250 for it. I know I'll bump"

They are then are subject to the bumping law.

The thread falls off the front page for a while till finally....

"Right lads, I'll let this go for €80 and a chocolate biscuit"

At this point a quick 1st refusal to the original rejected offer would be nice, no?
    Assuming you never said "offer withdrawn and GLWS"

I don't know that a price guide for airsoft adverts is needed. :confused:
    I'd like to say yes to that but it'd be really hard to work. Threads can go on for days / weeks / months and expecting everyone to re-read the entire thread to see if a price drop would potentially bring a month old offer into play - and make it binding - would be a big ask.

the problem with price guides would be the fact someone says

"Custom built this M4, it has a (list of internals) and a magical elf ear"

it would be hard to put a price on it for its components if its been customized, plus genuine and clones also come into account with magpul and other brands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 looneyirish

1st
    i dont know about you guys, but to be able to sell on adverts.ie would be class, your reaching more people in that way,
    it aint illegal for airsoft, right??
    so why ban it on adverts, after all we made adverts, ie us on boards,

2nd
    other posters having random conversations on your sale items threads, not only is it way off topic, but its down right rude,
    even mods tend to do this, and i don't find this fair for other boardies. but yet the mods come down on you for the slighest incling
    , you know lead the way is to be seen the way??

3rd
    a picture with the item you are selling, in this day and age who wants to buy blind, lazy seller need not apply

4th
    a point or scale system on the seller, or buyer
    like adverts, so i know the person im buying from isn't a spanner or a scrapper of parts
    with his pieces. or hasnt sold other crap things. knowledge is eveything.....right??
    you know im spending a few 100 quids, i should be able to see if the seller is genuine or the buyer for that matter

5th
    a better search engine , example,
    when i typed in m4s for sale in the adverts search, it said it was too common, like hello, wtf
    i know there common, but why wont you find them

6th
    naming if the gun is a clone or a well you know, the real macoy of an airsoft gun

7th
    if it says no trades, it means no trades lol

8th
    a bargan basement lot,
    for the el cheapos among us
    and i can be one of them aswell as an el expensivo

AGB_Ghost wrote: »
    the problem with price guides would be the fact someone says

"Custom built this M4, it has a (list of internals) and a magical elf ear"

it would be hard to put a price on it for its components if its been customized, plus genuine and clones also come into account with magpul and other brands.

well i know a few that have spent over 1,500 on an m4 with upgrades
    so you know, they never said magical elf ears,
    if it cost that much and he or she has proof, then who are you to say otherwise,

Moderators should be graded similar to the Feedback system on adverts. If it can be done for Users Im positive it can be done for mods.

the best idea ever, ever

• Advertisement

1st
    i dont know about you guys, but to be able to sell on adverts.ie would be class, your reaching more people in that way,
    it aint illegal for airsoft, right??
    so why ban it on adverts, after all we made adverts, ie us on boards,
    All weapons are banned on adverts, that includes RIF's and it's not going to change in the near future.
    You seem to know a lot about the subject despite your account being less than a month old. :)
    2nd
    other posters having random conversations on your sale items threads, not only is it way off topic, but its down right rude,
    even mods tend to do this, and i don't find this fair for other boardies. but yet the mods come down on you for the slighest incling
    , you know lead the way is to be seen the way??
    I don't see any reported posts from you - works both ways.
    3rd
    a picture with the item you are selling, in this day and age who wants to buy blind, lazy seller need not apply
    Caveat emptor applies - if you want a pic then ask for it on thread.
    4th
    a point or scale system on the seller, or buyer
    like adverts, so i know the person im buying from isn't a spanner or a scrapper of parts
    with his pieces. or hasnt sold other crap things. knowledge is eveything.....right??
    you know im spending a few 100 quids, i should be able to see if the seller is genuine or the buyer for that matter
    That's why the feedback thread is there.
    [QUOTE
    5th
    a better search engine , example,
    when i typed in m4s for sale in the adverts search, it said it was too common, like hello, wtf
    i know there common, but why wont you find them
    [/QUOTE]
    It's a limitation of the software the forum is based on, not much we can do there. Learn how to use targeted google searches.
    6th
    naming if the gun is a clone or a well you know, the real macoy of an airsoft gun
    Again, ask on the thread, something you can't do on other adverts sites. :)
    7th
    if it says no trades, it means no trades lol
    Fair enough..
    8th
    a bargan basement lot,
    for the el cheapos among us
    and i can be one of them aswell as an el expensivo
    Don't understand that, please elaborate?
    Moderators should be graded similar to the Feedback system on adverts. If it can be done for Users Im positive it can be done for mods.
    the best idea ever, ever
    Again, please elaborate on this. What would it achieve?

well i know a few that have spent over 1,500 on an m4 with upgrades
    so you know, they never said magical elf ears,
    if it cost that much and he or she has proof, then who are you to say otherwise,

That's no problem if they establish a price for their gun but how are we supposed to put one persons gun into a price catalogue on adverts it would end up like this

-A&K Masada €210

-TM L96 €240

-SRC M4 100

- Tom's custom built M4 €600

-Mark's Custom built HK416 €500

-Joes custom built AK €620

The fact is if we do have price catalogue it would be difficult with having both our own prices for the non customized guns and then someone offerings customized gun, the fact is it would be hard to put a price on the gun because some parts could be clones, could charge service charges for the customization and even charge the full retail price Of like €310 andmagpul furniture and crazy internals which could be over 300 euro itself plus it's which could be €100 in the difference due to the fact the gun is being sold at full retail nottaking unto the account the gun has been tinkered with internally and parts had been changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Shiroki

I know I'm still a newbie but I think (and this is a suggestion I dont know if it would work) Maybe there could be some sort of template for sellers ? Like this

(Name of gun) AK47

(Brand) Cybergun

(Age) 6 months old

(Info) .....

(Picture) ...

(Asking Price) 100

(Open to trades) Yes

(Location) Swords, Dublin

It would probably be hard to enforce but would tidy up the forum :)

What do you think ?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Vents

All weapons are banned on adverts, that includes RIF's and it's not going to change in the near future.

Hi Steve,

Just to clarify on the above. (Adverts.ie might not be up on the info)
    RIF's are NOT weapons. They are RIF.

If Adverts define RIF's as weapons perhaps you could have a word? They may want to change the way they explain their exclusion of RIF's in a better way than 'including' the definition of RIF under/with that of weapons.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Irishmaster

Obviously a page has a set limit of threads etc but if the first page could be expanded to hold double the amount of ads then people wouldnt need to bump. Just a crazy idea! :)

Vents wrote: »
    Hi Steve,

Just to clarify on the above. (Adverts.ie might not be up on the info)
    RIF's are NOT weapons. They are RIF.

If Adverts define RIF's as weapons perhaps you could have a word? They may want to change the way they explain their exclusion of RIF's in a better way than 'including' the definition of RIF under/with that of weapons.

:)
    Hi Vents, yeah, maybe I could have phrased that better.

The list of prohibited items on adverts.ie is here.

RIF's are mentioned:
    Firearms, ammunition, fireworks, explosives, blades and hazardous materials.adverts.ie does not permit the listing of projectile and concussive weapons that employ gunpowder or explosives. Basically anything that is considered a weapon is prohibited. Replica firearms are prohibited. This also includes Hilti nailguns and Hilti bullets along with any other generic brand of these.
    Toys that fire rubber pellets or foam darts are permitted.
    Airsoft guns are also mentioned:
    Airsoft guns/ammunition. Please go to the dedicated airsoft adverts forum on boards.ie if you wish to sell these.
    The reason for this is that, the adverts mods and general users who report stuff can't tell the difference between a legal Airsoft RIF and an illegal one (I certainly couldn't before I started here). Never mind the fact that anytime someone posts up something looking like a real gun, the world, his mother and dog reports it.

Shiroki wrote: »
    I know I'm still a newbie but I think (and this is a suggestion I dont know if it would work) Maybe there could be some sort of template for sellers ? Like this

(Name of gun) AK47

(Brand) Cybergun

(Age) 6 months old

(Info) .....

(Picture) ...

(Asking Price) 100

(Open to trades) Yes

(Location) Swords, Dublin

It would probably be hard to enforce but would tidy up the forum :)

What do you think ?
    I've actually been thinking of something like this - a similar system is working quite well on the new adverts site. :)

then condition and amount of times skirmished?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Shrek3

Hi Mods,
    Just in relation to the star rating for users, could this be used as a guideline for new users to Know that there dealing with a fair & honest user. That the star system could be a reward system for thanked transactions on the feed back thread.

Just a thought.

Cheers

• Advertisement

Shrek3 wrote: »
    Hi Mods,
    Just in relation to the star rating for users, could this be used as a guideline for new users to Know that there dealing with a fair & honest user. That the star system could be a reward system for thanked transactions on the feed back thread.

Just a thought.

Cheers

There was a user rating system in effect on boards before. Needless to say it doesn't exist any more and with good reason. When I were a wee lad mod (in finest Yorkshire accent), a user feedback thread was created for folks to post on deals that they had done to address this to some degree.

Advertisement