Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 keegobytes

he EPC3925 is the best of the two you mentioned

Thanks gadgetman, have to say i'm impressed with that tp_link extender TL-WA850RE boosts 300mbps.

If I could get the EPC3925 I might get an extra bar or two out of it its worth abash...as I mentioned im no genius at this but thanks for the info....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Are you connecting the routers via cable? Your post gives no indication as to how you have set things up.

Should look like
    upc cable -> upc cable modem -> ethernet cable -> second router

Just buying a good router won't make everything perfect, you still need to set stuff up. You might want to use bridge mode and stuff like that, but this is where it gets complicated. UPC are awkward as you MUST keep using their router, you can't just swap in your own. All the upc routers suck :p

QoS = quality of service. This is feature offered on many routers that allows bandwidth allocation between users. Very important for gaming, so other people don't lag you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

keegobytes wrote: »
    Thanks gadgetman, have to say i'm impressed with that tp_link extender TL-WA850RE boosts 300mbps.

If I could get the EPC3925 I might get an extra bar or two out of it its worth abash...as I mentioned im no genius at this but thanks for the info....

The EPC3925 is capable of achieving higher speeds and has the bridge option available through its menu's. If you could get one from UPC (for the higher speeds) you can simply use your own 3rd party wireless router to provide great wireless to your entire house.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

srsly78 wrote: »
    Are you connecting the routers via cable? Your post gives no indication as to how you have set things up.

Should look like
    upc cable -> upc cable modem -> ethernet cable -> second router

Just buying a good router won't make everything perfect, you still need to set stuff up. You might want to use bridge mode and stuff like that, but this is where it gets complicated. UPC are awkward as you MUST keep using their router, you can't just swap in your own. All the upc routers suck :p

QoS = quality of service. This is feature offered on many routers that allows bandwidth allocation between users. Very important for gaming, so other people don't lag you out.

Sorry about that, I have it set up upc cable -> upc cable modem -> ethernet cable -> second router as you mention once again thanks......

Nice one, Gadgetman I,ll give it a bash....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

lads have this for a couple of years now, but I've noticed every couple of days the speed drops down from 200Mbps to 3Mbps, a reboot of the router sorts it out, but if it continues and turns out its not on the UPC side and they have to replace the modem, what are they sending out? I don't have TV with them just phone and broadband, so don't want the horizon box, I want a router similar to this one which I can switch to bridge mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

lads have this for a couple of years now, but I've noticed every couple of days the speed drops down from 200Mbps to 3Mbps, a reboot of the router sorts it out, but if it continues and turns out its not on the UPC side and they have to replace the modem, what are they sending out? I don't have TV with them just phone and broadband, so don't want the horizon box, I want a router similar to this one which I can switch to bridge mode.

Same rubbish unfortunately, but brand new.

I have the exact same issue, UPC offered to replace the router with a brand new one... Same model though :(

//edit: Oh the irony, just as I was typing this, internet froze.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Hi

I have the 2425 router and am trying to change the wireless password from the original.

I don't have a laptop, anyway to change it via my phone or IPad?

I tried logging in to the 192 address but get a HTTP 401 - Unauthorised error saying I must enter correct username and password.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Need a quick suggestion. I have the Horizon Box. Last couple of days the wireless has gone off, however I can connect via cable and get the internet.

Called UPC and they tried to reset the modem on the box remotely but that didnt work.

They are giving me 2 options now, take a new Horizon box or take a seperate modem / router.

I am not sure which one should I go for. Anyone knows the exact model number of the model / router they are sending out now?

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Spion Kopite

Hello all,
    I`m having very similar issues to this and have received no satisfaction from UPC at all. I`ve even went to the lengths of restoring my laptop to its original factory state just in case I had done something wrong somewhere with my settings, but I`m still having the same issue. I`ve had an engineer out twice. The first time he replaced the technicolor modem with the cisco modem and I was quite happy. Unfortunately I started experiencing slow speeds and needed the engineer to come out again which he did however when he connected hard wired to the modem was receiving the required speed that I`m paying for (120mb). I connected my own laptop and also received the same speeds so we both thought excellent its working and I`ve just wasted the mans time. However after he left my speeds disappeared again. I checked my wired speeds wit upc speed test this morning now and got over 100mb and then tested immediately with 2 other "independent" speed checkers and received an average of between 1 & 3 -4 mb. I get the feeling Upc`s speed checker is somehow making it seem like you are getting the promised speeds when in fact you are getting the ridiculously slow speeds. I then tried to download a file to see if the readings may have been wrong and therefore proceeded to download a file of 2MB, that`s M not G and it was saying estimated download time of over 20 mins.. I mean come on. Can anyone ANYONE at all please help me as UPC dont seem to care as they get there money regardless until my contract is up which thankfully is in 2 months time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

You'll never get anywhere near the 120mb over wireless, only over a gigabit wired connection. The speedtest.net servers can get hammered depending on time of day and depending on which of the nearest servers from the drop down list you select you can get wildly varying results.

I use the UPC checker and download a well seeded torrent and it maxes out my 120mb connection so I personally trust the UPC checker.

After moving my routers one time I inadvertently shorted the coax feed to the modem introducing a load of electrical interference to the line. My speeds reported on the UPC checker showed a huge drop indicating to me that it's a reliable tester.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 macade

Calibos wrote: »
    You'll never get anywhere near the 120mb over wireless, only over a gigabit wired connection. The speedtest.net servers can get hammered depending on time of day and depending on which of the nearest servers from the drop down list you select you can get wildly varying results.

I use the UPC checker and download a well seeded torrent and it maxes out my 120mb connection so I personally trust the UPC checker.

After moving my routers one time I inadvertently shorted the coax feed to the modem introducing a load of electrical interference to the line. My speeds reported on the UPC checker showed a huge drop indicating to me that it's a reliable tester.

I have bought and ethernet cable, but it won't work at all. I have tested it on another network, and it went just fine.

Seriously, what the heck is going on with my UPC modem?

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SkySter

I have an EPC3925 operating in bridge mode. After several months of reliable operation it stopped working on Thursday last. I made no changes to my configuration.

First thing I tried is to reset the modem back to defaults and activate bridge mode again. No Joy. I do not seem to be getting a public IP address anymore. Also when I go to 192.168.100.1 I cannot login. It won't accept the id and password I setup. In the end I reverted non-bridged with two subnets and my Asus router in the DMZ. Works now.

As to the cause, the only theory I have is that I noticed I am subscribed to the UPC free wifi service. I wonder if this breaks bridge mode? Anyway I have unsubscribed and will check again once it is reversed. It takes 72 hours apparently.

If anyone else has similar issues please let me know?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

have you been migrated to IPv6 by any chance? Check your public IP via one of the what's my IP sites or run a speedtest.net and check your external IP in results.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SkySter

Dave..M wrote: »
    have you been migrated to IPv6 by any chance? Check your public IP via one of the what's my IP sites or run a speedtest.net and check your external IP in results.

Nope. The IP is still IPv4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Hi folks, I've noticed that any time I kick off some torrents, our old upc modem drops the connection and actually kicks everyone off. It always comes back after about 2 mins, like it's rebooting itself almost. Has anyone else noticed this?

Modem is flawless if I don't go near it with torrents, long runs of netflix etc. are just fine. If I turn on uTorrent everything is fine for about 15-20 mins but it's almost guaranteed to start disconnecting us after this time. Then it fairly consistently kicks us off if uTorrent is left on.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You're overloading it with too many connections, a decent router can handle this no problem, but not the bargain basket stuff UPC ship.

If you go into your settings and limit simultaneous connections to 50 or less it should hold for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Have you all the settings in uTorrent for DHT disabled? They should be.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1 chichaglisha

hi everyone,

ill try to explain my problem the best i can. i have a cisco epc3925 router/modem and a PC and a NAS (Zyxel NAS325) and a small 5-port GBit switch. and a fujitsu laptop but i use it over wireless 99% of the time
    1. connecting PC to router gets me 10Mbit connection
    2. connecting NAS to router gets me 1Gbit connection
    3. Connecting PC and NAS to switch gets me 1Gbit speeds from/to NAS, switch is connected to router so it forwards the DHCP - BUT the switch only get 10Mbit towards the router so both PC and NAS still have a slow internet conenction, but at least i get to copy stuff back and forth form PC to NAS at some acceptable speed
    4. just to try it out i have also connected laptop to router by cable and i get 1Gbit

so i tried a combination where everything is connected to router and one where i conenct everything to switch and then the switch to router. PC and switch always get 10Mbit no matter what i do (towards router) and NAS and laptop always get 1Gbit (in any combination). all cables are 1Gbit cables, tested numerous times. i just cant believe that this router is not compatible with an Intel chip on my motherboard........or what else could it be ???? the switch is some cheap chinese model but it worked perfectly well with a FritzBox that i had in another apartment where i had 1Gbit everywhere. No issues with internet whatsoever, router delivers without problems. no issues with wireless. router is new, maybe 1 month since i got it so i guess it has the latest bios but i can check later today

any ideas what could be the reason for a drop down to lowest speed ? anything that i could do about it ? i cannot find an option to force the speed and duplex on the router or how to connect to console to try to hack it. changing settings on ehternet card in windows does nothing....tried linux mint and centos7 and they both show 10Mbit so i guess its not the drivers.....im really desperate atm, thinking about switching the cisco for a FritzBox but what if this happens again ?

You can't replace it. You can't really configure it.

Sounds like an MDIX issue, are the cables straight or patch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 AngCork

Getting very slow speeds at the moment with my Horizon service, 200 mb my arse! Speedtests are showing very low download speeds, upload seems to be ok though

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Wolfbrand Morro

Hi all,

Just recently got the Horizon box and I've been having regular connection loss to the extent that every 2 days the internet is unusable for anything more then loading a webpage, and even that takes about 5-10 minutes. This is a network wide issue, ethernet and wifi at a multitude of ranges. Any ideas what's causing this and any way to fix it?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Korasa

Hey lads. Got the 120mb package off of upc there about two weeks ago and I could not be less pleased. Constant mini drop outs and straight up disconnections are the least of it. The speed is variable at best anywhere from 15-45 mb on a good day and instances where it simply won't work. Trying to do college work is difficult and don't even try and play a game or something. We received the Technicolor TC7200 modem and I am curious as to whether it is that causing the issues? Seem to be a lot of complaints about technicolor products in general online. After factory resets and calls to tech support I am at a loss. Anyone have similar issues? how did ye bypass them?

Keep ringing UPC until they fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kacper19990

My Cisco EPC392 has been resetting itself for about 6 months now. I got them to change the router once, but the problem still persists. It's getting annoying as you get disconnected every few hours or minutes. Sometimes it can be 8 times within an hour which is unbearable, when you want to play online. Is anyone else having the same problem?

Keep ringing them until they fix it. I had the same problem, new router did not help. Problem was on their network.

Shove a fan on top. Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

Guys, anyone has issues with accessing youtube in the past month? It loads once in about ten tries.
    My Cisco EPC392 has been resetting itself for about 6 months now. I got them to change the router once, but the problem still persists. It's getting annoying as you get disconnected every few hours or minutes. Sometimes it can be 8 times within an hour which is unbearable, when you want to play online. Is anyone else having the same problem?
    yeah, we had this twice this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,820 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Have 120mb connection but only getting 35mb using powerline, any tips to speed it up? Router is EPC3925

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

ShaneU wrote: »
    Have 120mb connection but only getting 35mb using powerline, any tips to speed it up? Router is EPC3925

Take the Powerline out of the equation. Hook directly to the router with ethernet cable. What speed are you getting then?

Advertisement