Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mocks results - How did we do?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Black Mamba2k12

English 72% B
    Irish 70% B
    Maths 67% C
    History 92% A
    French 85% A
    Geography 93% A
    Science 75% B
    CSPE 94% A
    German 80% B
    Religion 86% A
    Business 81% B

All higher

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭IceCreamGirl

how can i get straight A's for the junior cert?

i really want to get straight A's for the Junior cert.

i'm only doing 8 subjects
    home ec, business, geography, cspe, french, english, history, maths.

i got 3A 4B 1C for the mocks (with the help of the junior cert mocks thread)
    all honours.

i hate history
    any studying tips for that as well?
    please?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭xfabgalx

Em well you should start off by studying a history topic you kind of enjoy and if you see something linked to another topic, look at that topic next. Then make your own notes of that chapter and answer, say, a question 6 about that topic.

Mind maps work for me for science.

Home ec is pretty simple just go through every year and answer all the questions.

CSPE doesn't really require study, as its kind of useless and I'm sure you wouldn't care if it was one B on your results just for CSPE. Its a joke really.

English - write out about 5-10 quotes for each character. I'd recommend 10 for each as you'll most likely only remember a few. Read your book for studied fiction and try to picture an image of every character and their traits as you read, and note these, then test yourself. For comprehensions, try and get used to understanding different kinds of texts. Then there's personal writing, where you should really make use of the grammar you've collected over the past, what, 10 years?! Also, when doing studied drama, I often find it difficult to use a variety of words, so I look up synonyms on an online dictionary which can be useful in essays.
    Just practice makes perfect.

Geography - You should get a revision book and just take notes where it says to.

Maths- practice, practice, practice and formula noting.

French - practice, reading and taking notes, learning useful verbs and how to use them in different situations and learn useful phrases. Also translate comprehensions if doing honours.

Irish - If you're doing Irish. people, what I do is learn sample answers of. I haven't checked out edco sample answers yet but I took the codes off a friend. So if you don't have edco exam papers, ask a friend if you could take down the codes. Same goes for every subject, I suppose. Just learn and practice. Its also expected that sports will be a big topic this year, as the Olympics are taking place!

So that's the tips I have. If anyone can help me with my art support studies, that would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Drama101

English paper two 68%(best in class)

Irish paper two 75%
    French 71%(second best in class, only behind girl in my class who speaks fluent french)
    History 84%(1% behind an A, :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭xfabgalx

meant that as a thumbs up :)

• Advertisement

from now until the junior cert, how many hours a day should i study?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

from now until the junior cert, how many hours a day should i study?

It very much depends what you call studying.
    Some people sit staring at textbooks, others practice questions from old exam papers, others make their own notes/mind maps/reference cards.
    • Listen properly in class.
    • Never leave a class with a question about something you did in that class.
    • Do your homework to the very best standard you can.

If you do the above, especially the first one, then you just need to revise.

The bottom line is that the Junior Cert. as an exam is designed to maximise your success. The examiners and the marking schemes want to give you marks, you have to leave out questions or parts of questions to do badly.

You will do better than you think.

the problem i have is:

i barely listen in class. i get distracted or it gets TOO boring.
    for example:
    *incoming rant about my history/geography teacher*

I DONT LEARN ANYTHING IN HIS CLASSES.
    im not exaggerating
    all he does is let us watch BLACK AND WHITE coloured films about the past and all i do is just sit there, pretending to be interested.
    and on MOST days, all he does is sit on his chair and talk about history.
    he doesnt even write notes.
    all he does is sit there and talk for 30 minutes+ non stop about history.

oh wow i learn so much from him talking non stop about history.

and he even told us what topics will be asked for the mocks.
    but we ended up getting the wrong paper.

and for history question 4.People in History, my friend (teacher's pet) wrote a completely different essay than the essays asked.
    and she got 18 and 16 out of 20 for both essays.

*same goes to geography, all he does is sit there and talk, not writing notes. or just lets us watch The Deadliest Catch which i think is awesome but i barely learn anything*

*end of rant*

Note: for the junior cert, i will be the only girl in my class doing Higher Level history.
    so im kinda worried because of this teacher i have.

if anyone have any history/geography notes, i'd really appreciate it if you can inbox me them or just post it here or in the Notes thread.

ANYWAYS

i dont ask questions in class because i'm very shy.
    but i do my homework though :)
    we dont get a lot of homework.
    just an average of 3 homeworks a day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

So make up your own homework. You need at this level to be working towards being an independent learner. There are people with poor teaching skills at LC and at college - you need to learn how to get on despite that.

As a History teacher myself, it sounds like your teacher is showing you primary sources - and you are ignoring them?
    Why should he write notes? He already knows the stuff, very well from how you describe he talks non-stop about it.

YOU NEED TO MAKE YOUR OWN NOTES - that will help you remember. Otherwise, just go out and buy one of those revision books, where it's all done for you, but you will end up in the same position for Leaving if you don't learn how to make your own study notes. It is much harder remember someone else's notes than ones you made yourself.

40% of those sitting HL JC History get an A or a B. I have corrected it before (not for Mock companies, where the correcting can be really slack, but for the SEC) and I can tell you it's quite difficult to fail. I have seen people pass while leaving whole questions out.

Don't worry so much about the JC, but use the chance to develop yourself as an independent learner in preparation for the Leaving and college.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭paddzdaman

spurious wrote: »
    So make up your own homework. You need at this level to be working towards being an independent learner. There are people with poor teaching skills at LC and at college - you need to learn how to get on despite that.

As a History teacher myself, it sounds like your teacher is showing you primary sources - and you are ignoring them?
    Why should he write notes? He already knows the stuff, very well from how you describe he talks non-stop about it.

YOU NEED TO MAKE YOUR OWN NOTES - that will help you remember. Otherwise, just go out and buy one of those revision books, where it's all done for you, but you will end up in the same position for Leaving if you don't learn how to make your own study notes. It is much harder remember someone else's notes than ones you made yourself.

40% of those sitting HL JC History get an A or a B. I have corrected it before (not for Mock companies, where the correcting can be really slack, but for the SEC) and I can tell you it's quite difficult to fail. I have seen people pass while leaving whole questions out.

Don't worry so much about the JC, but use the chance to develop yourself as an independent learner in preparation for the Leaving and college.

Hey i completely agree on mostly everything you said there apart from the writing own notes. Saying that thats what i did for history and ended up with 81 percent in my mocks. Our history teacher on the other hand is extremely poor. Really just sits at the top of the class and expects us to just highlight everything , then gives us a pile of homework and expects us to do up the notes. Its only now hes giving us notes and if i didnt love history like most of the class probley would have failed history. It is really possible to give notes on topics and teach the coarse. The method of just highlighting and being expected to do the notes can put alot of hardship on students and if teachers just sit at the top of class expecting kids to highlight the book , they just lose interest in the subject. We had a subsetute teacher in at the start of the year giving us notes in class and kids really started having interest more in the subject. Yet on the other hand, who really wants to spend most of the class writing notes :D

• Advertisement

thank you :)
    will you please tell with us your predictions for the junior cert (history)? :)

I have no idea what will come up. I don't do predictions as it's pointless.

The main thing I would say is make sure you do the right number of questions and answer the question you are asked.

It is frightening how many candidates leave entire questions out or answer the wrong combinations.

can anyone please list the important chapters/points i should study for history?

i have too many things to study for history. i just dont know where to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭paddyzk

can anyone please list the important chapters/points i should study for history?

i have too many things to study for history. i just dont know where to start.
    Study all the 3rd year stuff really well, you're be set for question 6 then.
    You should also study all the second year stuff ,especially the end of the chapters (consequences) you'll be set for question 5.Know like 10 of the people in histories,so you're going to get one of them on the day.For the documents/pictures just take your time with them, you don't need to know much

The whole paper is 180m so lets say you get full marks in question 6 that's 60m + 20m for one people in history and you attempt the second one(let's say 10m)
    Then full 30m for question 5.Pictures/Documents you can get 20/30m and then short questions 20m.
    That adds up to 150m out of 180m,that's 83%,a high B.

Good luck.

thank you. you've given me the motivation to finally start studying history. :D

give me important chapters to study and i'll study them right away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Eazzah

English- 69 (Great result considering I failed my 2nd year summer exam)
    Maths- 55 (Down 30%, Most of it due to paper 2 which I find difficult)
    Irish- 76 (O.L as I find it very difficult)
    History 65 (Not too shabby)
    Science 30 (New teacher and all of our class realized we did nothing with our old one)
    German 45 (5th teacher, she is now pregnant so we will be getting our 6th, hopefully will improve)
    Geography 69
    Business 78
    CSPE 65 (Don't know)
    All of this was with no study, still haven't begun :/

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Junokevv

History-99(?)
    Geography-94
    Irish-93
    CSPE-93
    Science-88
    French-85
    English-83
    Art-83
    Business-76
    Maths-61

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cjf97

All Higher:

Maths - 54% D
    English - 81% B
    CSPE - 100% A
    German - 76% - B
    French - 80% - B
    History - 66% - C
    Geo - 75% B
    Science 56% C
    Irish 76% B

• Registered Users Posts: 9 KateNolan96

I got all mine back :)
    English: 87%
    Irish: 78%
    Maths: 86%
    History: 96%
    Geography: 82%
    Science: 91%
    Spanish: 89%
    Religion: 79%
    CSPE: 90%
    Music: 94%
    Art: 84%
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭TadhgSk

English 75%
    Irish 78%
    Maths 67%
    Business 86%
    French 76%
    Geography 93%
    German 70%
    History 92%
    Science 77%
    CSPE 94%
    Religion 87%

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 401 ✭✭Leinsterr

Irish - 85%
    English - 84.66667%
    Maths paper 1 - 68%
    Maths paper 2 - 81%
    French - 88%
    History - 90%
    Geography - 86%
    Business - 73%
    Science - 93%
    CSPE - 100%
    Religion - 69%

Can someone give me English paper 2 fiction predictions???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

Geography - 94%
    English - 89%
    French - 82%
    History - 86%
    CSPE - 84%
    Irish - 75%
    Religion - 75%
    Music - 69%
    Science - 60%
    Tech Graph - 36%
    Maths - 27%

The last two subjects I dropped to pass.

Geography - 94%
    English - 89%
    French - 82%
    History - 86%
    CSPE - 84%
    Irish - 75%
    Religion - 75%
    Music - 69%
    Science - 60%
    Tech Graph - 36%
    Maths - 27%

The last two subjects I dropped to pass.

2% more in the TG you would have been given a pass in the real thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭KirkCheated09

2% more in the TG you would have been given a pass in the real thing.

Is a pass not 40 % ?? :L

Is a pass not 40 % ?? :L

Yes it is, but in most subjects, correctors are told that if a candidate scores 38%, they are to go back and see is there anywhere at all they could get an extra few marks.

It doesn't happen that often as generally candidates do very well in the JC, since it is designed that way and you don't get too many people on 38%, but overall, most 38%s are given a pass.

It also only happens at the pass/fail cut-off, not the B/C or A/B cut-offs.

Yes it is, but in most subjects, correctors are told that if a candidate scores 38%, they are to go back and see is there anywhere at all they could get an extra few marks.

It doesn't happen that often as generally candidates do very well in the JC, since it is designed that way and you don't get too many people on 38%, but overall, most 38%s are given a pass.

Aw cool, I got 38% in honours Irish .. so I might've been given a pass then :P :cool:

Aw cool, I got 38% in honours Irish .. so I might've been given a pass then :P :cool:

Yes, in the real thing you would.
    It's cutting it a bit fine though - do you know where/why you lost your marks?
    Are you staying in honours?

Yes, in the real thing you would.
    It's cutting it a bit fine though - do you know where/why you lost your marks?
    Are you staying in honours?

Yeah I think my letter and story were down graded a bit tbh .. and yeah I'm staying in honours :)

Good - believe me, you will do better than you think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Lor1963

Geography 83%
    Music 81%
    Irish 78%
    Business 96%
    Maths 80%
    Religion 86%
    English 77%
    History 85%
    Science 83%
    French 71%
    Really hope to bring those Bs up to As for the JC though.Any tips?

Advertisement