Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

donedeal at it again

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sheenaaziz

<Mod snip> I am not wanting to get into a debate about this. I dont care if people want to hunt or sell working dogs. What I do care about is the fact that Ireland is Europes Number One Puppy Farmer and most of these puppy farm operators advertise on done deal - this is a pure fact. Done Deal arent doing a good job - for those wanting to sell hunting dogs OR for those who are concerned with our tragic rank as number one animal cruelty in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

sheenaaziz wrote: »
    <Mod snip> I am not wanting to get into a debate about this. I dont care if people want to hunt or sell working dogs. What I do care about is the fact that Ireland is Europes Number One Puppy Farmer and most of these puppy farm operators advertise on done deal - this is a pure fact. Done Deal arent doing a good job - for those wanting to sell hunting dogs OR for those who are concerned with our tragic rank as number one animal cruelty in Europe.

There you go! Excellent post couldn't agree more:) Other than the "rescue" centers part, which IMO are the same as the puppy mills, making a profits on dogs which should be "give" to good homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Re-opening the thread after some deletions, some infractions, some warnings and some edits. Seriously folks, rule one shouldn't be this hard for people to follow...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Geeeshhh..That ol donedeal.ie sure has a lot of criminals advertising on it according to the anti section of the pouplation!:rolleyes:
    Puppy farmers,working dogs[trans in antispeak fighting dogs],illegal firearms,and chipped cars!Sounds like a "fence" shopping catolouge the way they go on about it!:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

i think people are going to have to come up with codes so the antis dont know:D When there selling working dogs;)

we could call working dog- eagles
    earthdog- swans
    Lurcher running the lamp- budgies

So you can say
    have a great springer who will be a great eagle
    Good patterdale who is great swan
    And a good Lurcher who is a great budgie

LMAO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 basilbuster

Why dont we get the NARGC involved in this. If done deal is discrimating against hunting/shooting or ordinary legal country pursuits then maybe a nicely worded letter from a national organisation who have a formidable reputation in legal arguments might just be enough to change their tiny little minds. I say we should all contact our regional representatives and take it to another level. Cant do this sort of thing nowadays.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

NARGC? I assume you are a member?

Donedeal is a private business and once they operate legally nobody can really dictate what ads they do/don't allow :rolleyes:

NARGC have lost a few cases too BTW !

Maybe if everyone who's pissed off with their policy emailed them it might make a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

i was sort of pissed off about this before but thinking about how stupid what they are doing is now,i just wont ever use there service,we are just advertising them for free here ithink the antis will love it,we can sell stuff here and i think adverts.ie will let you sell hunting stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Donedeal is a private business and once they operate legally nobody can really dictate what ads they do/don't allow :rolleyes:

Apart from ICABS that is.They threatened them with a letter writing campain,and DD folded into their demands.

The other tactic used by AFAR,ARM etc is now to personally visit the offending place and persuade them to change their policies.
    About as pleasent no doubt as Mafia bill collectors showing up and telling you your past ,present and possible future.In the nicest possible way of course!:eek:
    Maybe if everyone who's pissed off with their policy emailed them it might make a difference?

Would have to be a heck lot of us ,more than just here on boards,after all their PR rep was on giving their excuses as to why they wont do ads for shooting equipment etc a few months ago.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭ring 20

there a load of lurchers on donedeal????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 tired insomniac

done deal <mod snip> wont let staffys be advertised on it either. completely pointless

done deal <mod snip> wont let staffys be advertised on it either. completely pointless

There's loads of staffs on it, problem is lads is the way you word the advert. Donedeal themselves don't troll looking for these ads but people report them to DD, kinda like here on boards with report button.

If your advertising Lurchers and terriers best way to do it is stick up the pics, price and number/email. Most working folks will spot a working dog a mile away.

As for being deleted for being a "worker"' it's absurd. Would they stop advertising fishing rods because there a tool of killing an animal, same way a working dog will be used to retrieve or dispatch animals.:D

I don't use DD as it has been shown that they are anti's and would rather give my money somewhere else. The main site for selling working dogs North and South has always been BuyandSell IMO as most fellos will buy it instead of looking at it online.

Spunk84 wrote: »
    There's loads of staffs on it, problem is lads is the way you word the advert. Donedeal themselves don't troll looking for these ads but people report them to DD, kinda like here on boards with report button.

If your advertising Lurchers and terriers best way to do it is stick up the pics, price and number/email. Most working folks will spot a working dog a mile away.

As for being deleted for being a "worker"' it's absurd. Would they stop advertising fishing rods because there a tool of killing an animal, same way a working dog will be used to retrieve or dispatch animals.:D

I don't use DD as it has been shown that they are anti's and would rather give my money somewhere else. The main site for selling working dogs North and South has always been BuyandSell IMO as most fellos will buy it instead of looking at it online.

I think alot of people report adverts - and I can understand Done Deal's efforts to do their best to combat the appauling situation surrounding dog breeding in this country.

I think the problem is not with Done Deal but with the laws that are in place regulating the industry (or how they are being enforced) and that is why "antis" report adverts.

I have seen some pretty appauling adverts.
    I own a 10 year old bitch who was rescued from a puppy farm in february, no teeth, half an ear, and she was not the only one, and I am sure there are more out there.

People have the right to breed responsibly, buy dogs to work or sell - I personally do not care about any of that.

There are people out there really abusing the system when it comes to animal welfare and I am speaking from my own experiences. If people report adverts it is because they are genuinely concerned - and have a right to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

It was said already dont use Done deal;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

I think alot of people report adverts - and I can understand Done Deal's efforts to do their best to combat the appauling situation surrounding dog breeding in this country.

I think the problem is not with Done Deal but with the laws that are in place regulating the industry (or how they are being enforced) and that is why "antis" report adverts.

I have seen some pretty appauling adverts.
    I own a 10 year old bitch who was rescued from a puppy farm in february, no teeth, half an ear, and she was not the only one, and I am sure there are more out there.

People have the right to breed responsibly, buy dogs to work or sell - I personally do not care about any of that.

There are people out there really abusing the system when it comes to animal welfare and I am speaking from my own experiences. If people report adverts it is because they are genuinely concerned - and have a right to be.

I've been lurking around this thread for a while, and I'm now going to stick my oar in! ;)

Couple of points:

1. This is not an Animal Welfare forum, so why certain people keep bringing up puppy farms and other animal welfare issues escapes me.
    2. DD are a private company / firm - They can and are perfectly entitled to decide what they do or do not wish to allow be advertised on their site. It is, after all, exactly that: Their site. Likewise, me, you, us, we can all take our business elsewhere where it may actually be wanted and "permitted" - That, likewise, is our perogative as consumers and customers.
    3. If you disagree with DD's policies, you have, as I see it, three distinct options available to you:

1. Express your Concerns to the Owners; Have such concerns ignored; and Continue to use their Website regardless (This seems to be the option many have chosen);
    2. Express your Concerns to the Owners; Have such concerns ignored; and Discontinue your use of their Website accordingly;

OR

3. Save your breath; Ignore their Existance and their peccadilloes; and Find Another Website which doesn't make commercial decisions based on personal, ideological, or misinformed beliefs.

(I know which option I'd be opting for - Hint: Number 3)

When we have long known pretty clearly, categorically, and unambiguously what DD's policies and prejudices are, why has so much bandwidth been taken up with discussing what is to all intents and purposes a done-deal (pun fully intended)?

Take your business elsewhere is my advice and let's not be providing DD with such air-time and working ourselves into a tizzy to the joy and delectation of the various anti's, tree-huggers, do-gooders, and general miscreants who may be lurking in woodwork.;):D

That said, ya can't beat a good bitching session!:rolleyes::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Well said dC

dCorbus wrote: »
    I've been lurking around this thread for a while, and I'm now going to stick my oar in! ;)

Couple of points:

1. This is not an Animal Welfare forum, so why certain people keep bringing up puppy farms and other animal welfare issues escapes me.
    2. DD are a private company / firm - They can and are perfectly entitled to decide what they do or do not wish to allow be advertised on their site. It is, after all, exactly that: Their site. Likewise, me, you, us, we can all take our business elsewhere where it may actually be wanted and "permitted" - That, likewise, is our perogative as consumers and customers.
    3. If you disagree with DD's policies, you have, as I see it, three distinct options available to you:

1. Express your Concerns to the Owners; Have such concerns ignored; and Continue to use their Website regardless (This seems to be the option many have chosen);
    2. Express your Concerns to the Owners; Have such concerns ignored; and Discontinue your use of their Website accordingly;

OR

3. Save your breath; Ignore their Existance and their peccadilloes; and Find Another Website which doesn't make commercial decisions based on personal, ideological, or misinformed beliefs.

(I know which option I'd be opting for - Hint: Number 3)

When we have long known pretty clearly, categorically, and unambiguously what DD's policies and prejudices are, why has so much bandwidth been taken up with discussing what is to all intents and purposes a done-deal (pun fully intended)?

Take your business elsewhere is my advice and let's not be providing DD with such air-time and working ourselves into a tizzy to the joy and delectation of the various anti's, tree-huggers, do-gooders, and general miscreants who may be lurking in woodwork.;):D

That said, ya can't beat a good bitching session!:rolleyes::D

I came across this thread through a site that is focusing on ending the online market of puppy farms and most of its energies seem to be focused on done deal at the moment. There are lots of sites out there so I dont know why they focus on one.

There are many out there I am sure who are responsible animal owners who operate online or through Buy and Sell and one would think they too would want things to be regulated better - it would make it easier for ALL involved. Nobody likes to see an abused dog.

I see the two sides of the coin :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

OK, this:
    I came across this thread through a site that is focusing on ending the online market of puppy farms

is exactly what I meant by this: let's not be providing DD with such air-time and working ourselves into a tizzy to the joy and delectation of the various anti's, tree-huggers, do-gooders, and general miscreants who may be lurking in woodwork!

This thread is on a hunting sub-forum of a shooting forum in a sports category - Excuse my confusion, but what in tarnation has that to do with "puppy farms". You are, franky and in my very humble opinion, doing nothing but stirring.

Not to be back-seat modding, but really, you should be over in the Animal & Pet Issues Forum - where such matters as animal welfare, cruelty issues, and particulars such as puppy farms and the surrounding issues can be rightly discussed in their natural habitat. You seem to have got lost on your way over to the forum! :)
    There are many out there I am sure who are responsible animal owners who operate online or through Buy and Sell and one would think they too would want things to be regulated better - it would make it easier for ALL involved. Nobody likes to see an abused dog.

Jeez, no one here is advocating any form of cruelty to an animal.
    There are plenty of dog-owners (working and non-working dogs) on this site who would no doubt, let's say, take a very dim view on the mistreatment of their beloved dogs and personally I wouldn't like to experience their approbation if I was involved in any form of abuse of dogs (which for the record I'm not of course).

You seem to be in the wrong forum from what I can tell - and you really are preaching to the converted when it comes to canine welfare around these here parts.

But this again is all about animal welfare - and at the risk of a slap of the wrist for backseat modding, that not a relevant topic for this forum and you are, at this stage, derailing the thread and, from where I'm sitting, beginning to look awfully like a troll. Sorry if I'm misjudging your intentions, but the signs are all there IMvHO.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

This is the hunting forum and while this thread relates to Donedeals prohibition of hunting dog adverts it is not the forum for the discussion of puppy farms, commercial breeding, etc. There is an Animal and Pet issues forum or even Nature and Bird Watching forum for those type of threads.

Please feel free to continue to discuss donedeal, hunting dogs, etc. however puppy farming and other such topics are for other forums.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

OK, this:

is exactly what I meant by this: let's not be providing DD with such air-time and working ourselves into a tizzy to the joy and delectation of the various anti's, tree-huggers, do-gooders, and general miscreants who may be lurking in woodwork!

This thread is on a hunting sub-forum of a shooting forum in a sports category - Excuse my confusion, but what in tarnation has that to do with "puppy farms". You are, franky and in my very humble opinion, doing nothing but stirring.

Not to be back-seat modding, but really, you should be over in the Animal & Pet Issues Forum - where such matters as animal welfare, cruelty issues, and particulars such as puppy farms and the surrounding issues can be rightly discussed in their natural habitat. You seem to have got lost on your way over to the forum! :)

There are plenty of dog-owners (working and non-working dogs) on this site who would no doubt, let's say, take a very dim view on the mistreatment of their beloved dogs and personally I wouldn't like to experience their approbation if I was involved in any form of abuse of dogs (which for the record I'm not of course).

You seem to be in the wrong forum from what I can tell - and you really are preaching to the converted when it comes to canine welfare around these here parts.

But this again is all about animal welfare - and at the risk of a slap of the wrist for backseat modding, that not a relevant topic for this forum and you are, at this stage, derailing the thread and, from where I'm sitting, beginning to look awfully like a troll. Sorry if I'm misjudging your intentions, but the signs are all there IMvHO.

No I amnt a troll and I am not trying to preach to the converted - I ended up here trying to learn more about the whole situation. I dont know the laws (I know some are trying to change them)so I dont know what good people are up against and I am for both sides. I didnt realise forums were so strict.

• Advertisement

OK, this:

Done Deal is the problem NOW for those trying to sell hunting dogs (I didnt even realise people in Ireland hunted - that is the extent of my ignorance about how things work here) but what will people do when it is NOT just Done Deal being targeted by "antis" (which I am only guessing I know what that is)? The issues go hand in hand. Done Deal get alOT of pressure and at the moment are the only one - but they wont be for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Done Deal is the problem NOW for those trying to sell hunting dogs (I didnt even realise people in Ireland hunted - that is the extent of my ignorance about how things work here) but what will people do when it is NOT just Done Deal being targeted by "antis" (which I am only guessing I know what that is)? The issues go hand in hand. Done Deal get alOT of pressure and at the moment are the only one - but they wont be for long.
    At some point, the groups applying that pressure will apply it the wrong way. For example, ARAN tried ringing my boss in the office this week to complain about me. They didn't even manage to get through, but it would have been an amusing conversation as I don't hunt, but they'd have been talking to a bunny-whacker. If groups like them continue to behave that way, they're going to gain the reputation in wider circles that they already have in these circles (ie. amongst shooters and others who've dealt with them directly).

In the meantime, there are several advertising sites run by shooters, where such pressure wouldn't have any effect.

It is, in other words, a non-problem. And frankly, not worth our time dealing with it, and the only reason it's getting airtime is because we are making a big deal out of it. So I think this might be the time to draw a line under it and so I'll close the thread there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement