Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News and views on Greystones harbour and marina [SEE MODERATOR WARNING POST 1187]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

F124BF183DD847BC9A264BBFAD5F4F96-800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

A picture is worth a thousand words, Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

InTheTrees wrote: »
    A picture is worth a thousand words, Thanks!

Pan to the left and show the mess still from the concrete plant and the land lost and being lost from the North Beach subsidence...

A picture can also tell a thousand lies... ;)

There is enough negativity without me adding to it. Its going to be a place of beauty when the harbour works are finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Dunphus

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    F124BF183DD847BC9A264BBFAD5F4F96-800.jpg

You seem to be in the site there, hope you had your PPE on ;)

Nice pic

• Advertisement

Its going to be a place of beauty when the harbour works are finished.

Pity I only have "three score years and ten", and I've used up quite a bit of my allocation already... Ah well, at least our grandchildren will look back kindly on us...

Dunphus wrote: »
    You seem to be in the site there, hope you had your PPE on ;)

Nice pic

I was in the area where the temporary slip is and which is used by all the clubs to launch their boats, kayaks etc. when the gates are open for the public.
    Always have my personal protective equipment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Blanchflower

darter wrote: »
    Pan to the left and show the mess still from the concrete plant and the land lost and being lost from the North Beach subsidence...

A picture can also tell a thousand lies... ;)

The site is generally very untidy and has the look of a cash strapped development. Following the bursting of the property bubble it is not a going concern and will most likely never be properly completed.

The site is generally very untidy and has the look of a cash strapped development. Following the bursting of the property bubble it is not a going concern and will most likely never be properly completed.

same old same old

same old same old

the sun rises in the east - same old same old
    the pope is catholic - same old same old
    irish developers always leave a mess - same old same old
    irish bankers are not paying for their mess - same old same old
    greystones is going to be screwed for years to come because of the harbour development - same old same old

Just because it has been said many times before does not make it any less truthful...

What is becoming "old" though is the constant whining and moaning without any action to follow it up. Not sure what can be done, but we are all being kept in the dark by the Council and SisPar about the future plans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Personally I can't wait for it to be finished... better than the old crappy, smelly excuse of a harbour we had...

Least then people might stop moaning about it all... but I wont hold my breath..

Oh and BTW Building sites are normally messy till they are finished..

Nice pic by the way...

What is becoming "old" though is the constant whining and moaning without any action to follow it up.

Who are the constant whiners and moaners, will you answer me that please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,701 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Who are the constant whiners and moaners, will you answer me that please ?

no, don't answer that, this thread will just end up as another one with a big lock under it. The arguments have been done to death here already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

The site is generally very untidy and has the look of a cash strapped development.

Are you still on holiday here or have you given up on the "Im just a tourist" angle?

loyatemu wrote: »
    no, don't answer that, this thread will just end up as another one with a big lock under it. The arguments have been done to death here already.

Thank you Mod for that timely reminder...

We all want this thread to stay open and alive to keep everyone informed about the harbour developments, and not suffer from being locked like all other such threads.

I'll endeavour to try to abide by own admonitions that I made in the very first post of this thread, and to not get drawn into futile argument, appealing though that may be...

I'd like to start a thread that collects news and views on Greystones harbour and marina. Given the demonstrated eager propensity of the large-handed moderators to close anything down quickly if it strays from the topic of the OP, I ask that all of you who want to discuss anything other than "News and views on Greystones harbour and marina" do it in a separate thread. That way perhaps we can avoid the thread being closed whilst there are still very active participants providing useful information to the community...

I will initiate the thread by saying that although I was against the development that was on principle - the principle being that this is the first time that public beach land in Ireland has been given over to a developer, and that it should not have been counternanced without the State becoming involved - as in the "real" politicians rather than our municipal ones. Now that it is happening, I have "moved on", and welcome its completion as I do think it will add significantly to Greystones.

Please add your news (state the facts and reference the sources) and views (fact-less), but please keep to the topic of the thread.

darter

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

darter, as Mods we like to see discussion flow and in the majority of cases they are fine but when things start getting a little personal we need to act before a flame war breaks out and things get out of hand.

Hope you can understand our position.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

Wicklow County Council recently proposed two changes to the housing element of the plan. The first involved replacing some of the housing units (which obviously will not be built inn the near term) with a medical centre. This was probably an acceptable change and would have facilitated the removal of some of the hoarding in the harbour area.
    The second however involved increasing the total number of houses back up to the level originally proposed. A level which An Bord Pleanala had deemed unacceptably high. This seemed rather odd given that they are not going to build the housing for some time. Anyway, not unsurprisingly, the Bord has advised the council that if they wish to do this then the must prepare a new Environmental Impact Statement. This will of course draw objections from the public and may lead to a significant delay in bringing the works to some sort of a conclusion.

Fiachra2 wrote: »
    Wicklow County Council recently proposed two changes to the housing element of the plan. The first involved replacing some of the housing units (which obviously will not be built inn the near term) with a medical centre. This was probably an acceptable change and would have facilitated the removal of some of the hoarding in the harbour area.
    The second however involved increasing the total number of houses back up to the level originally proposed. A level which An Bord Pleanala had deemed unacceptably high. This seemed rather odd given that they are not going to build the housing for some time. Anyway, not unsurprisingly, the Bord has advised the council that if they wish to do this then the must prepare a new Environmental Impact Statement. This will of course draw objections from the public and may lead to a significant delay in bringing the works to some sort of a conclusion.

Any idea when the EIS will be available to the public?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

Just looking at the planning permission post related to La Touche hotel there and it states that there will be a medical center!
    Does this mean we'll have one at the La Touche, one at the harbour and the existing HSE just around the corner?

Mullie wrote: »
    Just looking at the planning permission post related to La Touche hotel there and it states that there will be a medical center!
    Does this mean we'll have one at the La Touche, one at the harbour and the existing HSE just around the corner?

A lot of sickly people in Greystones....

.... possibly from all of the shenanigans about the harbour and now the La Touche hotel.... but we need psychologists to sort us all out....

• Advertisement

Any idea when the EIS will be available to the public?

Dont know yet. I would guess that the process will involve the preparation of an EIS followed by its publication and then a relativly short period for the public to make submissions on the EIS to the bord. At best I would imagine the EIS wont be ready for 3-4 months and possibly longer. Once I have any idea of timescale I will post it here.

Mullie wrote: »

I assumed the one at the harbour would replace the existing one opposite the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

loyatemu wrote: »
    I assumed the one at the harbour would replace the existing one opposite the cinema.

I understand it is a private practice which will relocate from the town to the harbour area.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

Dont know yet. I would guess that the process will involve the preparation of an EIS followed by its publication and then a relativly short period for the public to make submissions on the EIS to the bord. At best I would imagine the EIS wont be ready for 3-4 months and possibly longer. Once I have any idea of timescale I will post it here.

Can you clarify something ? My understanding was that WCC were planning on adding the extra houses using some clause of the relevant planning act that allows them to do it autonomously, without reference to the Bord.

Does the Bord's determination that a new EIS is required mean do they have a role/veto over the extra housing ?

danjo wrote: »
    I understand it is a private practice which will relocate from the town to the harbour area.

thats the GP's surgery on Church Road - they are moving to the harbour centre, but they're not the only tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

"Medical centre" is a pretty vague term. I guess planning permission is easier for medical-related premises, given the ability of doctors and dentists to house surgeries in otherwise residential areas. When in doubt when building a multi-use development, throw in a medical centre!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

How do they reckon the harbour area is going to deal with all the new Traffic !?

Will there be another oral hearing following submissions from the public?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭The Guide

Planning permission notice at back of La Touche Hotel, saw it couple of days ago and along with apartments etc, coffee shop.... Medical Centre, thought it was an old one but it looks new. Obviously we are all in need of many medical centres

• Advertisement

Alan_P wrote: »
    Can you clarify something ? My understanding was that WCC were planning on adding the extra houses using some clause of the relevant planning act that allows them to do it autonomously, without reference to the Bord.

Does the Bord's determination that a new EIS is required mean do they have a role/veto over the extra housing ?

I cannot say for certain and I will try to find out but I think yes is the answer. The council sought permission from the bord to increase the housing without submitting an EIS to the Bord. The Bord declined to permit this. Its all rather confusing because the whole development was built using legislation that was designed to facilitate the fast tracking of "critical infrastructure" i.e. roads. It was never intended to cover the building of houses for commercial gain. However a marina somehow managed to become "critical infrastructure".

I will know more when I get an answer from the Bord and will post it.

Advertisement