Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Naas Bypass : Oberstown interchange scheme

Options
  • 06-11-2008 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

I don't have the links, but I just read the tender on the Irish times yesterday, for a proposal to build an interchange approx half point on the Naas bypass.

This is good news!

I hope the IQ of the road engineers have gone up a few.

I'm going to begin, with some brain bursting advice.

Please dear ever so dear NRA. When building this wonderful woeful bridge. Please future proof this bridge( something the NRA have an allergy to doing) so that at least 4 lanes each way can be put in when the upgrade of the Naas bypass is required (which is now)

Curently 60,000 vehicles a day use it. It requires 3 lanes Now!

If they put a narrow 2 lane bridge here. on a 3 lane required road now. Then this tells me the We really have to many morons designing our roads still.

The best and logical thing to do with the morons, is remove the NRA and the people who work there and line them up and hang them off that bridge! (jk). Moronic people should not be designing our roads as we have made to many mistakes with the M50 bridges etc. Not future proofing is the problem.

But in real sense, it would be the best thing to do when removing stupid people from high placed jobs!

NRA people, before going to bed, your 11th commandment is. I shall not forget to future proof our roads and infastruture.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

The interchange will be your standard large roundabout interchange...

It will however have free-flow slips for left turning movements which should go at least someway to helping ease congestion...

I just wish it wasn't too late to do that for Dunkettle... (not that it would make much difference as the majority of traffic is going from the N8 to the N25 - but that's for another thread) :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I started driving on this road in January 2000 and it was being talked about back then. I guess Millenium Park never took off how they imagined it would. Surely there will be no capital project spend for this now that the town has the relief road and a bypass.

Here is a picture of the proposed interchange:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I started driving on this road in January 2000 and it was being talked about back then. I guess Millenium Park never took off how they imagined it would. Surely there will be no capital project spend for this now that the town has the relief road and a bypass.

Is this not seen as part of the relief road scheme so to speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

North end of interchange hooks into proposed Sallins bypass, if I remember correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

North end of interchange hooks into proposed Sallins bypass, if I remember correctly.

What Sallins bypass? Which side of Sallins does this bypass go round, i.e. east or west? Will it be built now that the Celtic Tiger has died?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

West of Sallins at the rear of Sallins Pier and Castlesize estates. But theres still no start date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

This interchange has been on the cards since the late 90s, maybe even before that as the original plan to build a new M7 from the M50 is related to it.

As for the Naas bypass itself, its beyond belief that the widening of the N7 did not include the M7 at least as far as the next junction. The current situation between junctions 9 and 10 is down to nothing more that ineptitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

This junction should be the start of the DOOR, which I hope is being taken into consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭richiek83

If the DOOR goes ahead, the junction will be much closer to the M7/M9 junction

• Advertisement

richiek83 wrote: »

If they wanted to, they could try and continue the M9 as the DOOR and just have a left on-slip from the M7 Eastbound and a left off-slip from the DOOR Southbound.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

richiek83 wrote: »
    Why?

If the DOOR started between J9 and J10, it would save traffic heading southbound on the Naas DC that wants to go northbound on the DOOR from doubling back, than if the DOOR started between, say, J10 and J11.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

BluntGuy wrote: »
    If they wanted to, they could try and continue the M9 as the DOOR and just have a left on-slip from the M7 Eastbound and a left off-slip from the DOOR Southbound.

It wouldn't make much sense starting the DOOR at the M9 junction, because the M7 itself continues due north as far as Naas. Not much point building a northbound motorway parallel to an existing one.

I think this is the route that will win out:
    J1 Drogheda (M1)
    J2 north of Ashbourne (N2)
    J3 Dunshaughlin (M3)
    J4 Maynooth (M4)
    J5 Naas (M7)

There's talk of connecting Navan too, but that's a bit more awkward. An option would be to multiplex the DOOR with the M3 for a section of the route.

I think talk of a huge sweeping arc through Leinster is off the mark though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

D.L.R. wrote: »
    It wouldn't make much sense starting the DOOR at the M9 junction, because the M7 itself continues due north as far as Naas.

Do you live beside junction 5 or what?

No it does make sense to start at the M9 Junction. If anyone knows a little about what the DOOR actually is been built for will know exactly why it make sense to build at the M9 junction :)

DOOR is designed to move cross country and interurban traffic away from Dublin that currently clog up the M50 etc. It will also integrate the Motorway network of this country, which will be badly needed, since we designed an idiotic motorway system where all lead to Dublin.

DOOR is not designed to cater for junction 5 at Naas or the bypass itself.
    Not much point building a northbound motorway parallel to an existing one

It's not going parallel. I guess you obviously don't know where DOOR is going it's going North from the M9. The M7 goes North east, and it's both travelling in a different direction. God I'm shocked you said something as silly as that......................

I think this is the route that will win out:
    J1 Drogheda (M1)
    J2 north of Ashbourne (N2)
    J3 Dunshaughlin (M3)
    J4 Maynooth (M4)
    J5 Naas (M7)

It won't end at Naas, the bypass of Naas will have three close junctions and cramming DOOR onto it, is going to be just nuts.

It doesn't serve and afflilate Naas therefore it does not need to proceed onto the Naas road. It's purpose is to avoid as much of the commuter belt as possible.
    There's talk of connecting Navan too, but that's a bit more awkward. An option would be to multiplex the DOOR with the M3 for a section of the route.
    Yes, it will connect to the M3 at some point, there are no exact plans as to where but it will pass by Navan (Most likely south of)

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

mysterious wrote: »
    Do you live beside junction 5 or what?

No it does make sense to start at the M9 Junction. If anyone knows a little about what the DOOR actually is been built for will know exactly why it make sense to build at the M9 junction :)

DOOR is designed to move cross country and interurban traffic away from Dublin that currently clog up the M50 etc. It will also integrate the Motorway network of this country, which will be badly needed, since we designed an idiotic motorway system where all lead to Dublin.

DOOR is not designed to cater for junction 5 at Naas or the bypass itself.

It's not going parallel. I guess you obviously don't know where DOOR is going it's going North from the M9. The M7 goes North east, and it's both travelling in a different direction. God I'm shocked you said something as silly as that......................

It won't end at Naas, the bypass of Naas will have three close junctions and cramming DOOR onto it, is going to be just nuts.

It doesn't serve and afflilate Naas therefore it does not need to proceed onto the Naas road. It's purpose is to avoid as much of the commuter belt as possible.

Yes, it will connect to the M3 at some point, there are no exact plans as to where but it will pass by Navan (Most likely south of)

Any Maps?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 blacksmokebilly

has to be the junction where the Kilcullen bypass meets the newbridge bypass, that way all roads link. Drogheda to the curragh for derby day in 50 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

So where do you propose the DOOR heads from the M9 junction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Here is how it should look. IMO

I didn't put the location of the Exact M3 interchange, but it will be near Navan anyway.

It would be to restraining to put the DOOR route at the Naas bypass. The road needs to be upgraded to 3 lanes well overdue and putting the DOOR route closer to the Naas bypass will further exasperbate the Problem.

Junction 5 will further again have to be modified if DOOR was to start here. Thus, costing more money and upgrading.

Sorry about the quality.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Looking at the brochure for the Sallins bypass, only half the route options terminate at this junction - have they decided a route option yet?

Working off mysterious's map, I just made a bigger version with some slight changes...

Junction 1 - Free-flow access to and from the M9 and M7 from the DOOR motorway in all directions. Major junction provides bypass of Dublin for all Belfast/North-bound traffic from Cork, Limerick and Waterford.

Junction 2 - Normal dumbbell interchange provides access to nearby villages and towns.

Junction 3 - Either full free-flow or free-flow. Provides alternative to busy M50 and M1 from Leixlip and its vicinity.

Junction 4 - Access to and from Trim.

Junction 5 - Access to and from Navan. Easily re-routes Belfast/North-East traffic to M1.

Junction 6 - Merges the N2 into the M1 in a manner of speaking making it unncessary for a continuation of the M2.

Junction 7 - Free-flow merge to the M1.

(You'll have to imagine the M3, I couldn't be bothered to edit it in!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I would pay cash money to use such a road on my semi-regular trips up North, as it would allow me to avoid going anywhere near feckin' Dublin and the traffic nightmares it contains.

Advertisement