Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What do i need to look out for when buying part worn tyres for resale?

• 28-09-2013 7:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Basically what the title says

As in what sizes are most common? What is the minimum thread depth acceptable. Tube/tubeless. If you have any knowledge or advice about tyres for cars please dont hesitate to teach me. Thanks :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭carol clery

The sooner they regulate this racket the better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

Id stay away from them, went through that stage.
    I buy new tyres now,as you'll end up spending more in the long run.
    The part worn tyres look ok but they ware down very fast and the rubber is weather worn and prone to cracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Check the date on them. Its in the week number,year format eg. 1009 is week 10 of 2009.

A lot of tyres have decent thread but are over 5 years old, especially if its an unusual size.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Check the date on them. Its in the week number,year format eg. 1009 is week 10 of 2009.

A lot of tyres have decent thread but are over 5 years old, especially if its an unusual size.

The gaurds have a paper gadget for free that measures the depth of Tyre threads for free - it looks like a credit card & comes in a leaflet on tyre safety & thread depth.

Problem is, I used to buy second hand tyres in a scrap yard & it's passed the NCT. BUT , when I was in a car crash & when the assessor came to look at my wreck the FIRsT thing he did was measure the threads on the tyres." No damage to that wheel " I said & he laughed & continued - if the threads are below the level allowed by NCT/Law then the whole insurance claim in invalid as you are driving a non compliant car that is unsafe/unroadworthy. I could not believe it. ( mine passed but I'd never buy second hand tyres again & always keep my tyre receipts now.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Some of these tyres are winter tyres from mainland European countries. ..not sure if suitable over here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Part worn tyres are the rejects of someone who can afford new tyres :P

That said they're grand to drive around on (in fact every single tyres is part worn to some extent)
    My opinion is to buy well-known part worns rather than some unheard of Chinese plastics. Don't be afraid to measure thread depth yourself.

www.tyreland.ie offers tyres x-rayed to check for internal structure issues.
    It's a bit of a market ploy but if you're worried - go with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,199 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The gaurds have a paper gadget for free that measures the depth of Tyre threads for free - it looks like a credit card & comes in a leaflet on tyre safety & thread depth.

Problem is, I used to buy second hand tyres in a scrap yard & it's passed the NCT. BUT , when I was in a car crash & when the assessor came to look at my wreck the FIRsT thing he did was measure the threads on the tyres." No damage to that wheel " I said & he laughed & continued - if the threads are below the level allowed by NCT/Law then the whole insurance claim in invalid as you are driving a non compliant car that is unsafe/unroadworthy. I could not believe it. ( mine passed but I'd never buy second hand tyres again & always keep my tyre receipts now.)
    Where is the connection between buying seconds hand tyres and running around on tyres below the legal limit? If anything, the secondhand option will allow some people to have legal tyres as opposed to holding off a bit longer to afford new ones.
    I think with buying part worn, anyone should look for at least 6mm tread. I've seen alot of 4mm tread tyres being sold as half worn when in fact it only has 2mm wear left versus 6mm on a new tyre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭LifeSaabItch

Not being smart, But if you really have to ask questions like that should you be even considering selling them?

Where are you planning to source them? Can you fit them? What if someone buys one and it blows out? Selling as a business or just to make a few quid?

Do remember that a 1.5 Tonne car will be doing 70mph on those little parches of rubber.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

The sooner they regulate this racket the better

How would you imagine this racket being regulated?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

I would check for.

-Date (make sure sub 5 years)
    -Thread depth
    -Cracking especially along edges
    -Sidewalls for telltale bulges (surface area will feel different)
    -Signs tyre has been plugged
    -Signs tyre has been patched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,410 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I got part worns before and in fairness to the first place they did check the tyres thoroughly and had me look through them as well. They also gave me matching sets and checked for punctures afterwards.
    The 2nd set I got from another place were very dodgy..one of them even had a puncture on it which I never copped till the following day. (car was parked up).
    Too dodgy I decided so put back on my winter tyres which are only a year old and bought from new. Might as well use them as I trust them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Tread carefully with the spellings. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Not being smart, But if you really have to ask questions like that should you be even considering selling them?

Where are you planning to source them? Can you fit them? What if someone buys one and it blows out? Selling as a business or just to make a few quid?

Do remember that a 1.5 Tonne car will be doing 70mph on those little parches of rubber.

I agree. Really if you don't know what to look for, there's no point in you even thinking of selling them.

Advertisement