Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs in Galway closing at 1am

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    What I heard was that they are getting ready for a blitz on offences under Section 4 of the Intoxicating Liquor Act 2003. Don't get insulted if I quote the law at you Seaneh, mkay. :)

Oh

Some bars and clubs in Galway reckon a doorman is "a defence" under subsection 2(4) :D

and in the interests of balance the Guards will also enforce section 6 of the same Act earlier.

Securing a conviction under section 6 makes it trivial to secure one under section 4, trust me on that one. :)

What I have heard is that they are fed up of the state the punters are in WHEN they go out for a few drinks near closing time and want to change that attitude.

What relevance doe either article you quoted have to anything?
    I said if clubs and bars we opening late without exemptions, they would be fined, the businesses, not the individuals, you quoted two pieces of law, one which refers to licencee's supplying alcohol to drunk people (every bar in Ireland is ****ed if that nugget is ever enforced) and the other is refers drunk people who either refuse to leave or won't take no for an answer when refused entry to a bar while drunk.

Neither have an relevance.

Crawl back under your bridge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Seaneh wrote: »
    (every bar in Ireland is ****ed if that nugget is ever enforced)

It is always a shock to the Galway Publican when the letter of the law is quoted to them Seaneh. :D

You can condemn Garavan any time you like for setting closing time at 1am in 2000, he died some years ago you see.

But there is nothing new or mysterious about it, sure it is probably even written right down on paper when the publican or club owner is granted the extension, what?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Also, it's going to lead to massive problems with anti-social behaviour once the town is full of students again in a few weeks.

Do you honestly think they are just going to go home to bed at 1am monday - thursday? Are they feck, every housing estate with a student population will have complaints of noise and disorder from houseparties.

I think it will only take one or two expelled from college because of the disrepute that the bring to the institution to cause the rest to pull their socks up.

And I actually think that our high population of young people away from home for the first is actually a good cause for our pubs/clubs to close earlier.

Do I like this? No. Do I like a pint at 1:05am as much as the rest of ye? You bet. But we need controls because the evidence suggests that people here have real difficulty exercising self-control.

JustMary wrote: »
    I think it will only take one or two expelled from college because of the disrepute that the bring to the institution to cause the rest to pull their socks up.

And I actually think that our high population of young people away from home for the first is actually a good cause for our pubs/clubs to close earlier.

Do I like this? No. Do I like a pint at 1:05am as much as the rest of ye? You bet. But we need controls because the evidence suggests that people here have real difficult exercising self-control.

Because our strict licencing hours are working wonders so far, yeah, closing earlier will make a ton of difference.

Our licencing laws need to be changed, the way we treat alcohol is a problem which starts with legislation and ends with drunk 16 year olds on jc results night.

Closing clubs/bars an hour early will not make and difference in anti social behaviour. It will only add to it.

On top of that it will cost a lot of people their jobs and put places out of business.

It is always a shock to the Galway Publican when the letter of the law is quoted to them Seaneh. :D

You can condemn Garavan any time you like for setting closing time at 1am in 2000, he died some years ago you see.

But there is nothing new or mysterious about it, sure it is probably even written right down on paper when the publican or club owner is granted the extension, what?? :D

Garavan set it initially but every month since some gob****e or other has retained it.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 171 ✭✭Night Falls

JustMary wrote: »

Do I like this? No. Do I like a pint at 1:05am as much as the rest of ye? You bet. But we need controls because the evidence suggests that people here have real difficulty exercising self-control.
    Treat people like children, and they will act like children.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

What I heard was that they are getting ready for a blitz on offences under Section 4 of the Intoxicating Liquor Act 2003.

Section 4? Has any prosecution ever been made under that?
    Be interesting to see how they get on.

Treat people like children, and they will act like children.

I've been in city centre's all over the world where bars can serve to 4-5-6 am and you don't get the ****e you get here in any of them.
    Why? Because people don't all dump out into the street at the same time, people filter off as the want.

No cueing for taxi's, no long wait's for a bag of chips/kebab/bocadillo/whatever.

The cops aren't very busy either so they can focus on actual problems.

I've been in city centre's all over the world where bars can serve to 4-5-6 am and you don't get the ****e you get here in any of them.

Thats why I'm in favour of 24 hour bars in 'entertainment districts' instead of the po faced shíte you get over an extra 30 minutes here and there in this country, or under or over reactions depending on the humour some hicko politician is in.

And if Fidelma Healy Eames is not openly backing the publicans on their fight the powa campaign ye know ye haven't a chance anyway lads. :)

However the average Galway publican merely thinks of the law as a gross inconvenience, just like Wesley Snipes and his tax returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

• Advertisement

foxy_19-89 wrote: »

Jeez, I'm not signing THAT!!! :eek:
    "Recently the Galway Super-Interndant (sic) has decided to clamp down on Club's (sic) and Late bar's (sic) around Galway City. Sunday to Thursday club hours are now 1.00 p.m (sic) as apposed (sic) to the usual 2.00p.m (sic) closing time which has always been (sic) the case in Galway. "

• Seaneh wrote: »
    They are all paying for the exemption.
    The problem is that a local judge set the exemption at 1am instead of the allowed 2.30 am (2am is the norm in most large urban areas, 2.30 in Dublin and Cork).

It's definitely not 2:30 in Cork, its actually one of the things that annoys me going out in Cork rather than up home in Galway, you wont get a drink anywhere past 2am and they are very fast to push you out the door. It was noticed instantly by friends visiting me.

As I said earlier I have left clubs in Galway as late as 3:30, I haven't been served passed 2am or been inside anywhere in Cork even as late as 2:30 with out being pushed out the door (except lock ins)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

It's enough to make ya sic :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

"cant afford to pay there rates"

Make it stop!!

Who is this supposed to be helping anyway, can anyone explain?

You can buy drink basically 24hrs in London. Do you know how many problems it causes? None. And the English aren't exactly great at holding their drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Am against the regulation of opening hours in general, but don't really see this as a big deal so long as it's applied evenly.

Who is this supposed to be helping anyway, can anyone explain?

You can buy drink basically 24hrs in London. Do you know how many problems it causes? None. And the English aren't exactly great at holding their drink.

There's more cities in England that are the same.
    Alcohol is something that if it's heavily policed, the more problems it causes.

Take a look at prohibition in the U.S. for a an example on what not to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Not to be a grammar Nazi but re-word it. Especially the closing times of 1pm 2pm....it's am...Club and Pub owners aren't really a crowd that would get much sympathy either. More their workers

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Not to be a grammar Nazi but re-word it. Especially the closing times of 1pm 2pm....it's am...Club and Pub owners aren't really a crowd that would get much sympathy either. More their workers

It is not my petition, just saw it spreading on Facebook and said I would share it here. I noticed the mistakes too but get over it.

It is not my petition, just saw it spreading on Facebook and said I would share it here. I noticed the mistakes too but get over it.
    It's a legitimate criticism though. e-Petitions are silly enough as it is without being made by someone who doesn't know how to use an apostrophe, or the difference between PM and AM. If you want it to be taken seriously it has to be serious.

• Advertisement

It's a legitimate criticism though. e-Petitions are silly enough as it is without being made by someone who doesn't know how to use an apostrophe, or the difference between PM and AM. If you want it to be taken seriously it has to be serious.

I reiterate.........

I DID NOT CREATE THIS PETITION

I don't think I'd sign that one. Maybe we could put one together ourselves? I don't usually back these online petitions, they seem kind of pointless...The way it is now it looks like an Occupy Galway type group, difficult to take seriously. Would rather it be portrayed that the group is articulate and intelligent rather than being started by a 20 year old with a drinking problem.

I reiterate.........

Don't think he was saying you did. I think he meant you in the sense of the people who signed it.

I reiterate.........

Don't get your knickers in a twist there love, they were simply explaining why they had an issue with it.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Caliden wrote: »
    Don't get your knickers in a twist there love, they were simply explaining why they had an issue with it.

As usual, the focus of the thread gets diverted by never ending pathetic comments. Sign it or don't, it's up to you. I shared it to show boards a trending petition online, over 250 signatures in an hour.

Not sure if it legitimate, but "Pádraig Conneely - Newcastle" seems to have recently signed it.

As usual, the focus of the thread gets diverted by never ending pathetic comments. Sign it or don't, it's up to you. I shared it to show boards a trending petition online, over 250 signatures in an hour.
    That's the power of the internet for you. Sure didn't two billion people sign a petition to have Kony kicked in the balls and it turned out he was a sound lad.

Not sure if it legitimate, but "Pádraig Conneely - Newcastle" seems to have recently signed it.

A petition like that is about as effective a sharing a photo on facebook and saying "liek dis to keep club's open til 2pm'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Seen this on facebook as well, where is this petition going? Is it aimed at the gards, politicians or both?

The problem is the law, jesus I never thought I'd say this but it isn't the gards job to decide what laws to abide by. Its a daft thing for them to focus on but at the end of the day the law isn't at their discretion.

Although I must say I am glad that the superintendent came out with such a great statement, obviously every other crime has been solved now its time to try and clamp down on people being in a place where drink can be, relatively, controlled.

The problem is the law, jesus I never thought I'd say this but it isn't the gards job to decide what laws to abide by. Its a daft thing for them to focus on but at the end of the day the law isn't at their discretion.
    It sort of is though, hence the fact this wasn't a problem for the past forever.

The legislation hasn't changed, the behaviour of the guards has - thanks to one jobsworth.

I honestly always thought half 2 was way too early for a nightclub to close. Now it's 1am? Oh well, be cheaper nights providing the club's don't have the cheek to charge us for being in there for one hour. Then back to the houseparties to get up to plenty of worse things than consuming alcohol in a controlled premises at 1.30am :eek:

Will also have to make sure we start extra early on Saturday, might even binge drink (that's consuming 3 drinks in a row or something, right?). Fúck it, I won't even pick my rubbish up. A.C.A.B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The fuss being kicked up over 1 hour is crazy. That's all I have to say on the matter

Advertisement