Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for an independent garage in Dublin?

• 04-05-2011 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Need to get the car serviced and the timing belt/water pump done on my new(er) 2005 Skoda Superb 1.9tdi.

Getting quoted pretty high prices in every garage I call in Dublin (500 for timing belt+water pump, 250 for service) compared to the prices I used to pay for service on my old Astra at the old dealership we trusted in Monaghan (495 for timing belt/water pump + service).

Anyone recommend a good indy dealership that's got experience with Skodas/VWs?

Want good value but quality is obviously essential.

Cheers,
    quad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Moanin

I got TB & Waterpump done in my Golf GTI in VW Main Dealers in Newry £200.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Moanin wrote: »
    I got TB & Waterpump done in my Golf GTI in VW Main Dealers in Newry £200.

Really? How did you find them? I'll be up in Monaghan at the weekend. Might we worth a punt across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Thread moved to main forum - not DIY related

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Alan70

Hi, up with Eugene of walshmotors.co.uk in Belfast last friday. Timing belt kit/water pump-£200, full service £100. Left car in at 9am collected 1.30. He might still be doing a special on belt etc. Highly recommended. Post office charging no commission re currency exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Moanin

quad_red wrote: »
    Really? How did you find them? I'll be up in Monaghan at the weekend. Might we worth a punt across.

I phoned them up (P& R Motors Newry)

Eugene walsh is highly recommended for VAG cars:

http://www.walshmotors.co.uk/prices.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Called Walsh's and P&R. Good prices (150/200e less than anything down here) but I'd have to take a day off work and I can't spare holidays at the moment.

Called a few places around town and most are coming in between 650 and 850 for a timing belt kit & water pump & general service.

Booked an appointment with Treacy's in Crumlin after seeing a few recommendations on here for them (and they're close enough to where we live).

Hopefully they'll do a good job now!

Cheers,
    Quad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

What prices did they quote you?

We'd normally charge €350 for the timing belt kit and water pump fitted on that engine. The service price would depend on which service you need done for the kms/history on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

As the title says...
    Anyone recommend an independent garage in the D6/14/16/24 area, looking at getting front and rear break pads for a 2 litre 2001 Honda Accord. Price quoted by a Honda main dealer was scary.
    Also might get the timing belt changed also, any cost estimates for this?
    Theres an Atlas garage near me but I don't know if they would be recommended for this work?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

I use an independant garage up near Sandyford called DA Autostore. Find them very good. Just had work done by them on a 99 Accord.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shankespony

I'd try Denhu motors, ask for Johnny, i was going to put my car into the then EP Mooney Honda, these guys are across the road. He found the problem and didn't fleece me when he could have. Its a real garage (not very aesthetic looking) but these lads have many years experience of all cars, saw an old fiat 500 and etype jag getting work done. Go in and chat them then decide if its for you. (Dublin 12 hope that helps)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

x2 on DA Autostore. The lads up their are A1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Thanks for the replies lads, hadn't come across those before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

For pads you don't need a garage, you need a fastfit or go to halfords and fit them yourself, it's very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I used mechanic on duty beside UCD recently to get brake pads/lights done. Quick, good job and very reasonable.

I recommended them on to a colleague and she had same feedback, worth trying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Looking for a Honest GEnuine garage that does what you ask . also actually does the work required

Any Recommendations please,

If anybody can back it up

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Make and model of car would help. Engine/year wouldn't go amiss either.

What are you looking to get done?

Well a full service , Nct Pre My last Mechanic said i would need to do work on Suspension and Bushings,

He is a ok guy but if i give him a list of stuff he only does some of the work then says oh i will do the other stuff next week etc , he tries to do 3 cars at once from what i can see

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

What happened to your last mechanic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

wd motors in sallynoggin are very good, and they do good rates, plus they will call you if work is need outside the scope of a standard service.

they are are toyota dealer, but service other makes and models.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    What happened to your last mechanic?

:confused:

Post right above yours... says that he only does some of the stuff asked for and gives some line about "getting back to the rest"

That'd annoy me too. Whatever about getting a list of stuff you didn't expect, not getting what you DID ask for is worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Kaiser2000 wrote: »

:confused:

Post right above yours... says that he only does some of the stuff asked for and gives some line about "getting back to the rest"

That'd annoy me too. Whatever about getting a list of stuff you didn't expect, not getting what you DID ask for is worse.

Sorry, I read that as the previous said X need to be done, current is lazy and now looking for a new one. ;)

torrevieja wrote: »
    Well a full service , Nct Pre My last Mechanic said i would need to do work on Suspension and Bushings,

He is a ok guy but if i give him a list of stuff he only does some of the work then says oh i will do the other stuff next week etc , he tries to do 3 cars at once from what i can see
    ipodrocker wrote: »
    wd motors in sallynoggin are very good, and they do good rates, plus they will call you if work is need outside the scope of a standard service.

they are are toyota dealer, but service other makes and models.

well he still there but my car is due and not really wanting to use him again

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dannyy85

I've heard from a couple of people and read online that AC Car Sales(now Bloomfields Garage), just off the SCR, Dublin 8 are pretty reliable and a lot cheaper than Main Dealers.

Haven't been myself though-Can anyone back this up as I need a couple of things done on a 3 series BMW (01).

Would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

HI Nissan Doctor,

Do you have an addresss/ phone number?

Renault Laguna '07 that needs a service...

-Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭bambam26

Noel gough in tallaght is good , he is in behind Brian s Ryan in the village

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    HI Nissan Doctor,

Do you have an addresss/ phone number?

Renault Laguna '07 that needs a service...

-Sean

PM sent...

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭tommyjin83

PM sent...

Hi Nissan Doc,

I have a Renault Laguna 05, NCT due soon. Will you PM me your detail as well.

Thanks

tommyjin83 wrote: »
    Hi Nissan Doc,

I have a Renault Laguna 05, NCT due soon. Will you PM me your detail as well.

Thanks

Can u Pm Me too

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

dannyy85 wrote: »
    I've heard from a couple of people and read online that AC Car Sales(now Bloomfields Garage), just off the SCR, Dublin 8 are pretty reliable and a lot cheaper than Main Dealers.

Haven't been myself though-Can anyone back this up as I need a couple of things done on a 3 series BMW (01).

Would be much appreciated.

I take my 00 318 to Kelly's garage off Mount Pleasant in D6. Always done a good job for me, and they often clean the car & alloys as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Scruffy John

I use an independant garage up near Sandyford called DA Autostore. Find them very good. Just had work done by them on a 99 Accord.

Are these guys still in operation? I've tried calling them this week and their phone seems to be disconnected.

Advertisement