Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

3day<35min10km2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Donelson

Rossin wrote: »
    Blew up as in gave up or stopped running fast for the rest?

as in fell of the pace. But I'm now thinking that the change in elevation threw the garmin well off.
    I should have at least driven the course before the run.
    I need to rest the day before races.
    I really wish they would start races up hill and finish down hill.

Anyway I think I came sixth or maybe fifth, so not a complete rubbish day out.

Last local 10km until october next weekend, 5 races in 6 weeks, so it's a pretty mad season around these parts :)

Tuesday
    Ah I am a busted flush today, resting up tonight
    Next session will be wednesday for some intervals 5x800m yah!

This was a buddy run tonight, so no intervals, legs felt very heavy, so while I'm annoyed I didn't make it out yesterday, I'm glad I didn't make it out yesterday! Not very eye of the tiger-ish.
    So tomorrow, I'm going to either tape up the fingers and head for the pool or hit the gym. I push myself harder in the gym, so I'm leaning that way.

Forgot to weigh in this morning.

dragged myself down the gym, felt proper tired, so it was a bit of a token effort, still it beats sitting on the coach :)

I got a bit of a chill last week and I've decided at least three times that I'm not going running today.
    But I can't be crying off every time I get a sniffle! So I'm going to ditch the gamin :o and just head out for an old school "leg it" :)

Race report!
    2Km under 7
    5Km under 18
    10Km 38: 1x
    PB maybe

Hell of a race :):)

Edit: race time was 38:16, so two second off a pb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

38min? only3 min to go!

38min? only3 min to go!

Oh but what a 3mins they're going to be!

Today was a little special, flat course, 0 wind, and an insane racing strategy!

I remember just after the start thinking that I knew all the guys around me, and that if I want to go fast I'll need to catch those other guys ahead of me, so with complete disregard for and sensible plan, I set off to bridge a 50m gap! I think that might have been the fastest km of my whole life! !!

The scales today was a shocker! That's all I can say :(

Anyway headed out this evening for a 12.5km run, I was very surprised how tight my legs were, as they've felt grand since the race, set out at my target pace and made it to 8k before fatigue set in, eased off and trotted home, there are no prizes for tearing my leg off tonight, so happy just to get the kms in.

In other news I'm working my way threw the daniels book that cwgatling Recommended and I will report back in a bit.

Training session of two halves tonight, got out early and did my 2x1600@3:23, 1x800@3:13, missed all three by 2 seconds, then meet up with my buddy and we did 3x1000@approx 4:30ish with lots of jogging.

nice session, good weather, I'll be feeling it in the legs tomorrow. :)

Heading out for a 6.5km@3:51 and I'm really looking forward to it :), next week is a monster! But I have to say that second time round this plan seems a lot more doable.

The gods obviously heard me, and lasted me out of it with wind and rain. Misted my target by 3 seconds, got caught running into a good wind on the way back :(

• Advertisement

Rotten week,

Monday, only managed 13km before tummy trouble set in. :(
    Wednesday, did 1000x4 instead of planned season, don't ask :(
    stayed home friday night so I'd get a proper session in on saturday, got up early saturday, but rolled my ankle on a manhole cover 3km in, and decided to walk home :(:(

I'm thinking a repeat week is need, before I move on.

Perfect conditions tonight,
    Stopped the watch just under the hour for 15km I was surprised when I got home that the average hr was 169, I would have thought it would be higher! so one down, two to go :)

Two so so sessions, intervals were ok, tempo run was a struggle, I missed the last fast block by 5sec/km which is too much. Strangely my hr was averaging 170 again and I'm not sure if that is a good thing our a bad thing, but it's new. I'm guessing that it means I can run harder but I don't feel that I've got enough strength I'm my legs.
    Food wise this week could have been better, scale did show a 66 for the first time, so that's about 3kg in 9 weeks.
    In other news I've passed up on a mma tournament, so this running lark is getting serious!

No training since last sunday, no excuses,

I started looking at my next race and then I started thinking about all the hard training between now and then and I just mentally wilted :(
    So one training session at a time from here on :)

So my plan is a nice fast 6.5km this evening. Welcome back mojo!

garmin died at half way, first half was 3:46 into the wind (f3) I think I could have matched this on the way back, but I still need to find a few sec's

Only got about 4 hours sleep last night so I knew tonights session was going to be tough and it was!
    16k with plenty of cramps even my legs started trying to cramp near the end.
    Anyway another one in the bag :)

12.5km tonight so back on easy street :)
    I really needed it to ease off, even after wednesday I was thinking "man I can't do another one of those"
    Speaking of wednesday 4x1km, 3:25, 3:28, 3:30, 3:25 pacing was dead even so happyish with that.
    unfortunately my race plans have been turn on there head by work commitments, so for the mo I'll just keep training!

This did not happen, what did happen was 7km@4/km @ 2% grad and 15 mins on the rowing machine. so I'll have another go at this session tomorrow, hopefully out doors!
    Anyway all of the above beats sitting on the couch!

12.5km in the bag, tough, didn't think I'd make it at half way but got home just under target. So I'm happy with that.
    next session will be intervals on monday if life allows.

No training at all last week ( stupid work :( )

On a positive note raced a local 10km today in perfect conditions and bagged a pb :):):) 37:3x, hell yah! I'm a little bit pleased with this :):):)

no train next week, away with work again :(

Anyway, slowly slowly catchy monkey!

I have many confessions to make! I ate and drank a small town while away with work, I have some how manged to injure my heel while not training!
    AND I have entered the local triathlon for this weekend, so I'll be spending a lot of time down the pool trying to convince myself I won't drown. So I'm not sure there will be much running this week either.

• Advertisement

F**K I just read the race brief and noticed I need a one day licence, which I don't have :( F**king Bollox :( and they closed yesterday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

what do you mean a one day license? what race was it for?

what do you mean a one day license? what race was it for?

It was a one day license from Triathlon Ireland, which you have to buy if your not a member of a club.
    And it states very clearly on their site that they don't accept application for weekend races after Thursday.
    However I click threw and the race is still available so I've signed up and am now hoping I won't get turned away at registration.

I've gone from worried I'll drown, to worried I won't get the chance to drown! :pac:

Anyway fingers crossed, either way I'll know tonight.

It's on! I can go back to worrying about drowning :)

So it started early today! The race day nerves, I woke up with pain in both shoulders, now these pains aren't real as there was no pain in my shoulder going to bed and I slept just fine.

One thing I don't understand is the numbering, it has to be on the back for the cycle but on the front for the run, but I think I only have one number, so do I have to unpin it and repin it at transition?

I'm slipping between fear and worry, I keep reminding myself that I'm not racing just taking part, but to be honest once I make threw the swim I'll be fecking delighted!

I'm still alive, mine was the only bike in transition by the time I got there but hay I got there :)
    Picked off 5 or 6 on the cycle and the run.
    The most shocking thing was the amount of sunshine, I might even be burn :o

Adding a few bits and pieces, race weight was 67.5kg, up but that's to be expected with over eating and no training.
    I actual came in the to 33% of my triathlon, now it was a small field so no doubt this flatters but nice all the same. To my surprise I only lost about 5mins on the swim and the run but I was hammered on the bike -20mins. With all the bad weather I've been neglecting the bike, but that's ok as I'm a runner!

I'm a runner again, I don't think I'll ever slip over to the dark side. I will probably always do the local tri, but only for the novelty and only to make up the numbers in the race. I might however entry an ow swim again :)

So back to the plan, did interval with a buddy on wednesday, these where a little slow about 5 sec off pace. One of these days I'll turn up and say I ran them too quick!

tomorrow it's back to the long run @ about 4min/km pace, it's been well over a month since my last long run, so hopefully I won't have lost too much.

My heart sank when I looked at the plan and saw a sixteen km bruiser.
    there was going to be no easing back into it, no it was back in the deep end.
    This turn out to be a complete battle of wills, I think I quit at least 5 times, anyway I drag my ass around and missed my target by 3s/km, not great, but I definitely put in the effort, so I'll take that and push on.

If this post had a title it would be "feel the DOMS and do it anyway"
    So I went out on sore legs, did a good bit of grinning and bearing, 10x400 with 90sec rest, total session time was 28min flat.
    This is turning out to be a game of chicken between me and my legs, let's see who blinks first?

• Advertisement

One word for this session, sloppy!
    I was under time pressure so skipped the warm up, changes the route, the route was not flat.
    First 2.5km@3.20, second 2.5@4.19
    I'm annoyed as I'm sure I could of hit my time if I'd done it properly. Still a tough 19min training session :o

Advertisement