Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Atheism/Existence of God Debates (Please Read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Festus wrote: »
    This is a theological questions based on the premise that God exists.

Ah ok, that is clear, thank you. Given that premise has been in no way established therefore.... then there is no reason to "satisfy" myself of any consequences in this regard then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Festus

Harika wrote: »
    You, me and the others here know that the non-existence of something cannot be proven

Exactly.

Equally I could say that Richard Dawkins doesn't exist but I refer you to a you tube link I posted earlier that makes the case for the non existence of Richard Dawkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭Harika

Exactly.

Wonderful, now prove the non existence of my pink unicorn and I prove you the non existence of god. If this cannot be achieved will we try to prove god and the unicorn? Or will we continue to turn in circles? (Basically the sniped part :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

Exactly.

What's your opinion on the Tooth Fairy?

Should we treat the lack of evidence for their non-existence any differently from what you're proposing? If so, why?

I see no distinction and I explained why in a post you appear not to have read.

and you like debating. if you are good at debating you could argue the case for God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Safehands

This is a theological questions based on the premise that God exists.
    So, do you think this is the right thread to discuss a point made by another poster that relies on the premise that God's existence is a given?
    Please Don't misrepresent me Festus. I made the following statement:

"As soon as you try to delve into "God's perspective" you enter a quagmire of opinion and man made interpretations of God's desires for us. Then you are back to the misery scenario, if you break seemingly innocuous, silly rules. (EG: missing Mass on Sunday). Therefore I believe we are better off leading a "good life" as laid down by common sense, reason and society. I genuinely believe that the religious types should get on with their lives, and those who want to stay away from their idea of Godly beliefs, should be left alone."

I never based any comment on a premise that God exists. That is you using your vivid imagination.

and you like debating. if you are good at debating you could argue the case for God.

I have done. Mostly back in debating clubs where you can be arbitrarily assigned a topic and a side, and you have to defend it even if it is not the side you subscribe to. I have also done so later than this in challenges where in front of audience we were asked to argue the other side of the debate for half the debate.

I did not find it easy with the god question because that is how poor I find the arguments for god. When I have been asked to debate the "wrong" side of other issues, like homosexuality, abortion, certain wars and other things I could do it. I could come up with convincing and moving arguments which in some cases my opposition could not really rebut.

But with the god thing.... I simply sucked at it. Not only has no one presented me with any arguments for the existence of a god.... I could not even piece together any myself when asked to do so. Since I would not lie or cheat, I was essentially left with appeal to emotion and other such arguments.

emmet02 wrote: »
    What's your opinion on the Tooth Fairy?

Atheists talk about it and other creatures like pink unicorns so often that over time and with increased numbers of atheists talking about it and writing about them it might at some point be reasonable to conclude that atheists might actually believe in them.
    Should we treat the lack of evidence for their non-existence any differently from what you're proposing? If so, why?

Yes because there is no comparison. What can a tooth fairy do?

Atheists talk about it and other creatures like pink unicorns so often that over time and with increased numbers of atheists talking about it and writing about them it might at some point be reasonable to conclude that atheists might actually believe in them.

Is this not the very definition of a Special Pleading?
    I personally don't believe in a the Tooth Fairy so don't believe that they can do anything.

However, are we able to agree that there's a similar lack of evidence for their non-existence as a lack of evidence for the non-existence of god? If not, what evidence is available in the second case?

I did not find it easy with the god question because that is how poor I find the arguments for god.

not like you to give up on a challenge so easily
    But with the god thing.... I simply sucked at it.

Not only has no one presented me with any arguments for the existence of a god.... I could not even piece together any myself when asked to do so.

I think at this stage all I can really do is pray for you.

• Advertisement

Fantastic, now you agree that the pink unicorn might be believed into because people are writing and talking about it long enough. Where do I know this from...?

It replaces the tooth against a small payment. :P

Is this not the very definition of a Special Pleading?

The introduction of the tooth fairy is. The general rule here is we are talking about God.

However, are we able to agree that there's a similar lack of evidence for their non-existence as a lack of evidence for the non-existence of god? If not, what evidence is available in the second case?

not similar. lack of evidence for something no-one believes in is not the same as lack of evidence for something people believe in.

Fantastic, now you agree that the pink unicorn might be believed into because people are writing and talking about it long enough.

Yes but only atheists are capable of believing in pink unicorns.

It replaces the tooth against a small payment. :P

and what can God do?

not like you to give up on a challenge so easily

Not sure where you got that. I summarized a whole section of my debating background in a few lines. The summary represents a number of attempts, a LOT of trying, work, investment and study....... and after all that I never "gave up" either.... I did present a case. Just not a good one. Perhaps you and I use English differently but I do not know how you got "give up" from me saying "I did not find it easy".
    I think at this stage all I can really do is pray for you.

Someone with a better heard for quotes than me will have to put a name to this. But some popular atheist is reported to have replied to "I will pray for you" with "Great, and I will think for you".

Yes but only atheists are capable of believing in pink unicorns.

So are you able to speak for all non-atheists and none of them believes in pink unicorns? I think you nailed me on that some pages ago. lol

and what can God do?

Which god?

not similar. lack of evidence for something no-one believes in is not the same as lack of evidence for something people believe in.

Why not? I think that this idea needs expansion further if you don't mind.

Except yes it is. It is exactly the same. You are falling into Argumentum ad populum traps now. The reality is an unsubstantiated claim remains an unsubstantiated claim, regardless of how many people purport to believe in it. Let alone how many of them _actually do_.

Fatuous and facetious conclusion from you actually. The reason Atheists bring up such things increasingly is that the theist reliance on the "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" canard. It is mere cause and effect. The more you trot out that "argument" the more you will hear the rebuttal.
    Exactly.

So the question then becomes, out of ALL the INNUMERABLE things that can not be falsified, why believe one and not the rest. What is the methodology to be used to select one from the others given the lack of substantiation for any of them? Aside from bias, wishful thinking, or indoctrination, how does one distingush the choice to believe in a god and not the other innumerable unsubstantiated but unfalsifiable nonsense in our world?

Not sure where you got that. I summarized a whole section of my debating background in a few lines. The summary represents a number of attempts, a LOT of trying, work, investment and study....... and after all that I never "gave up" either.... I did present a case. Just not a good one. Perhaps you and I use English differently but I do not know how you got "give up" from me saying "I did not find it easy".

Perhaps the internet and search engines didn't exist back then. Today there is an untold wealth of PhD scientists who believe in God able and willing to share their evidence. There is also any number of former atheists who also share their experience and evidence. using some of that would not be cheating if you referenced them in your delivery.

Someone with a better heard for quotes than me will have to put a name to this. But some popular atheist is reported to have replied to "I will pray for you" with "Great, and I will think for you".

I believe it comes from a barbed response website designed for those incapable of thinking up their own demeaning and belittling responses.

here is a website for anyone else who feels the need...

http://www.the-brights.net/movement/toolbox/p4y/

Anyway, I'm sorry you took offence - none was intended.
    However having looked at a number of websites where this response is suggested as being a useful tool in the atheist arsenal I'll leave you people to it.

Perhaps the internet and search engines didn't exist back then.

I am only 35, I am not sure when internet came to where you grew up.
    Today there is an untold wealth of PhD scientists who believe in God able and willing to share their evidence.

Not that I have seen no. Perhaps you are aware of some that I have missed that you can make me aware of.
    using some of that would not be cheating if you referenced them in your delivery.

That is why I said cheating AND lying. There are arguments I know of that are simply bad arguments and false. Like making temporal causality arguments about states where time was not an element.

I would not and could not use them because to do so would be lying, as I myself knew the arguments to be false and why they failed.

So I have to construct arguments based on things that, while unconvincing to me, were at least not lies. It rather curtailed my presentation over people like, say, convicted criminal Kent Hovind who would happily lie and distort at length while making his.
    here is the a for anyone else who feels the need...

I did not ask for a site that include it in a list of responses. I asked if anyone knew who originally said it.

Not that I have seen no. Perhaps you are aware of some that I have missed that you can make me aware of.

Send me the search parameters you used in your search engine and I'll review it

• Advertisement

That would be a LONG post of meaningless words. And we are talking several years ago. Not happening. But if you are aware of anyone, phd or not (as the phd is irrelevant to me entirely) that is espousing convincing arguments or evidence that there is a god, simply let me know who and where.

That would be a LONG post of meaningless words. And we are talking several years ago. Not happening. But if you are aware of anyone, phd or not (as the phd is irrelevant to me entirely) that is espousing convincing arguments or evidence that there is a god, simply let me know who and where.

Can you not simple tell me which words you would put into a search engine?

Can you not simple tell me which words you would put into a search engine?

httpREMOVE://lmgtfy.com/?q=list+scientists+believe+god

httpREMOVE://lmgtfy.com/?q=list+scientists+believe+god

are you thinking for Noz?

are you thinking for Noz?

Will you provide us with the mysterious list of PhD scientist who believe in God able and willing to share their evidence, before the end of time?

Will you provide us with the mysterious list of PhD scientist who believe in God able and willing to share their evidence, before the end of time?

Do you not know how to use an internet search engine?

Do you not know how to use an internet search engine?

So you want me to verify your claim?

So you want me to verify your claim?

No. I want you to think for yourself and do your own research.

Why not? I think that this idea needs expansion further if you don't mind.

Festus, in case you missed this, I'm really very interested in you expanding on the above.

Personally I think that peoples' beliefs are independent from the evidence / lack of evidence (happy to hear otherwise), and if this is the case, can't we add that they can't provide any additional information that we can use to differentiate the two cases ('lack of evidence for the non-existence' of either the Tooth Fairy or a Deity). Where am I making a mistake?

• Advertisement

No. I want you to think for yourself.

That's exactly why I ask for a source for your claim as it looks made up. (What I assume and you know) :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement