Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Atheism/Existence of God Debates (Please Read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Philogos said he thought there were intellectual difficulties with atheism in another thread. Could you elaborate?

I am guessing you think atheism means you believe there is no God as opposed to disbelieving in any of the Gods put forward by various religions?

Not answering for phil but trying to keep up.
    What? Ah so if atheism isn't believing in a God it's not believing in any god as described by the various religions with the option that they are wrong on the details??:confused:
    Not sure I understand what you mean!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

tommy2bad wrote: »
    Not answering for phil but trying to keep up.
    What? Ah so if atheism isn't believing in a God it's not believing in any god as described by the various religions with the option that they are wrong on the details??:confused:
    Not sure I understand what you mean!

I think he means the difference between gnostic atheists and agnostic atheists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

HHobo wrote: »
    You are ignoring the fact that God created us in accordance with his own whims. You don't go around murdering children. Presumably you aren't filled with the desire to murder and restrain yourself solely on moral and legal grouds. It is not in your nature to do it. God has created you with the desire to do X and he then impliments a prohibition against X. I would say he has some responsibility.
    It would be like you designing a sentient robot and instilling in it a strong desire to light things on fire. You then tell the robot not to do it. Do you think people would accept you saying "..but I told it not to do that" as removing all culpability on your part for designing it that way in the first place?

I'm not ignoring that fact at all. Much in the same way that I'm not ignoring the fact that just because God gave us the decision to do X rather than Y that this doesn't mean that I'm not responsible for my actions. Much in the same way that if a friend gave me the keys to his car and trusted me with it, that doesn't mean that I'm not responsible if I crash it into a ditch. Blaming God for our decisions, and our rebellion against Him doesn't wash, it's a poor justification for sin.

Moreover, it's funny that in the passage of the Fall, Adam does the same thing as you:
    But the Lord God called to the man and said to him, “Where are you?”[d] 10 And he said, “I heard the sound of you in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked, and I hid myself.” He said, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten of the tree of which I commanded you not to eat?” The man said, “The woman whom you gave to be with me, she gave me fruit of the tree, and I ate.” Then the Lord God said to the woman, “What is this that you have done?” The woman said, “The serpent deceived me, and I ate.”

The woman you gave me God caused me to do this. But couldn't Adam have refused to follow Eve? It's interesting.

I think it is fundamentally stubborn to say to God that He's responsible for the sin that we've freely chosen to commit. If we rebel against God's authority He's entirely right to be free to judge.
    Also. If I said to you. "You are free to eat those cakes over there if you like but I'd rather you didn't." ... "Oh and by the way, if you do eat those cakes I'm going to set you on fire".
    You would characterise this as freedom to choose?
    Imagine a court where a criminal is defending himself against a murder charge and his defence goes like this
    "I asked the victim to give me all their money. They chose not to. I only killed them because their choice displeased me. They were free to hand over their wallet. You can't blame me for their choices!"

God has jurisdiction over Creation. He's perfectly entitled to say that some things are not in our benefit.

The analogy that you've given is nothing like what God has declared. God has decreed what is right and what is wrong in His creation. God can punish if one refuses to accept His standard, moreover God has authority over who dwells and who does not in His creation.

It's entirely logical that you can't blame God for the choices of man. God gave people the autonomy to choose X rather than Y, but it is up to the chooser to do what is morally upright and actually follow God.

Satan is the one who continually tells us the old lie. Go on, live a little God doesn't have a clue what He's doing. He's never going to judge you, don't worry. Go on. He wasn't telling you the truth anyway. The Bible's a lie, it's a cobbled together book of fairytales from goatherders. Surprisingly similar to what we see many in the world today saying.

The Bible also gives us the common expression there's nothing new under the sun, and there really isn't. The same lie that caused creation to fall is the same lie that many believe in today when they suppress the truth of God in unrighteousness (Romans 1:18).
    If you wish to claim that God is an exception to this idea and what he says goes because he is God; you are making a might makes right argument. You don't think that God need to have any moral justification for his rules and punishments. We are his toys and he can play with us in whatever fashion he chooses. It is hard to reconsile that with our being free agents.

To what idea? You've not been very clear as to what the "idea" is. Your question is getting into where does good and evil come from. The atheist deals with moral subjectivism, I.E humans get to decide what is good and what is evil. Essentially good and evil are whatever the heck that humans feel like.

Christians believe in a sovereign God who is Lord over all creation, loving, kind, merciful and forgiving, a God who had declared what was best, and a God who actually knew better than we did as to what was truly good as He was the sovereign creator. Yet, we rebelled against Him and decided arrogantly that we knew what was better ourselves. How ridiculous?

It's the old lie again from Genesis 3, that we can know better than God as to what is good and evil.
    In Job's case the sin is nothing more than questioning God's motives. (Can you imagine a more despotic idea than being guilty of a crime for nothing more than question the motivations of the leadership)
    This sin is also commited only after God permits the heaping of miseries on him when he quite rightfully thought himself to be innocent of any crime. God is being a complete asshole here. He is insinuating that he has justifications that Job doesn't understand. Job is lead to believe that he must have done something wrong in order for God to be allowing his current misfortunes and that he simply can't comprehend the nature of it. Job is infact entrirely correct that he had done nothing wrong and his treatment was infact unjust. It was God's hubris and apparent failure of omnicience that led to Job's suffering. What Job doesn't know is that God motivations are self-aggrandising and petty. His "sin", in a perverse irony, is not believing that God must have a good reason.

Job's sin was defiantly suggesting that He could possibly know better than God, much as you're doing here. It's fundamental arrogance, much as calling God a "complete asshole" is.

There's nothing "despotic" about the idea of God saying that following Him and seeking right understanding of Him is the right thing to do in Creation.

Noah's sin seems self-explanatory, he got absolutely hammered and was passed out drunk.
    With Abraham, one of the worst things he does is almost stab Issac to death. I don't think God considers this a sin though. Apparently, to God, murdering your child (Abraham's intent) is fine if it is a demonstration of loyalty to him.

I'll link to a number of posts where I've answered this already. I searched my posts for Abraham and Isaac recently, and it returned over 20 results in the last 6 years.
    There are modern moral philosophers who think scapegoating is ok? I really hope that isn't true :)

There are quite a number of moral philosophers who would regard the self-sacrificial death of Christ on our behalf as a model for how we should seek to serve one another self-sacrificially.

You don't seem to understand what Christianity says about mankinds position. Namely that all have sinned and fallen short of God's glory (Romans 3:23). We aren't righteous on our own account because every single person has rejected God's standard, and every single person has done what is evil rather than what is good. In and of ourselves there is no reason why God can declare us righteous.

I think most people if they are genuinely honest can see that. Moreover I think it is quite sensible given our fallen state that one could come to the position that we need a Saviour.
    What cost does God pay exactly? Are you claiming it is equal to eternal damnation?
    By what right does God forgive our sins against other people? If somone else punches you in the face, can I stroll up an forgive them for it. Surely it you, and only you, that has the power to forgive the offence?
    If the claim is that God is personally offended by your actions and it is this offence is forgiving, then he seem to only be interested in punishing sins against himself. Sins against others are not his concern beyond how they make him feel.
    Also, it is logically impossible to be fully just and merciful. I have often heard people claim that God is maximally just and maximally merciful. I don't think these are compatible. Justice requires that the evil be punished. Mercy requires that someone be excused their proper punishment.
    Finally, is it really mercy, if you inflict the punishment on someone else?

Our sin is towards God. We've rebelled against His standard. Every sin that we've committed in His creation is an affront to God. The Bible doesn't undermine that people have a responsibility towards one another, but primarily sin is an issue between God and man. Sin moreover is what separates us from God (Isaiah 59:2).

By the by, it's a bit daft to ask "what right" does God, the sovereign Lord over all creation have to take the penalty for sin upon Himself.

Is it really mercy to pass God's wrath to someone else? - Yes, we go free. God still shows us the immense cost of sin.

God is just insofar as His wrath for sin was satisfied. God is merciful insofar as we walk free.
    This doesn't make a whole lot sense as we already have people claiming that there was no reason to think that God forgave at all.
    The question stands. Also, if you do some harm to me and I wait until after I have punished to the full extent of the law and then forgive you, it is not really forgiveness, or at least a palty effort. Surely to be meaningful, forgiveness must be given

They are suppressing the truth in unrighteousness, the eyewitness accounts that we have concerning Jesus Christ, the secular history that we have concerning His crucifixion, and the impact that His resurrection had on the disciples. Namely that they were willing to go into the Gentile world and risk their lives for it.

If we had no basis whatsoever for believing that God was abundantly merciful, rather than people ignoring what happened that day in Jerusalem roughly 2,000 years ago then I think that you and other atheists would be complaining that God hadn't provided good reason to believe that our sin was fully satisfied, and fully forgiven. The reality is He has, and there's no excuse.
    Again, justice satisfied and mercy. You see the strangeness also in God essentially being a slave to his own requirement for Justice. He appears to lack the ability to forgo attaining this Justice. As much a slave to his nature are we, perhaps? He'd better hope he wasn't created that way by a more powerful being who is going to punish him for it :)

It's not strange if there is a good reason for it. Namely to show us the sheer cost of sin, and to show us the sheer extent of His mercy. God shows us His love, and His mercy through Jesus Christ.
    This is an injustice then, something God is apparently not capable of.

Not at all. God's wrath was satisfied in full. God still counted us guilty. The difference is that now that God's wrath has been satisfied, Jesus now stands as our representative. When God sees us, He sees Christ. One who has been fully punished for sin.

If God were fair rather than merciful, and if Jesus hadn't received God's just wrath we'd all be condemned. Because without grace, there is condemnation which comes through the law. I.E - God's standards declare us guilty.
    Only according to God's arbitrary rules.

They are less "arbitrary" than relative morality. If God is Lord over creation, I don't have any place to argue with Him. Irrespective of what I say about Him, or if I blaspheme His name, His standards are what matter, not mine. I'm not Lord, He is. I submit willingly to His will, because I know that I amn't better than the Creator.
    We deserve God's wrath; who decides we are so deserving? God does. Accuser, Judge, Jury and law maker. This has the Euthyphro dilemma written all over it. Essentially, are God's laws based on an intrinsic good (which means God is not the source of goodness), or are God's laws good because God decrees them (This means that if God decrees that murdering people for fun is good then it is good.)

God does. I think the Euthryphro dilemma is surprisingly weak, and if we consider God's omnipotence, omniscience and omnibenevolence the idea is ridiculous. Ultimately God's standards of good and evil are what He has declared as a result of Creation. It is because God knows everything about creation that He can declare how best to live in it. Much as the manufacturer of a car can describe in a manual how best to use it, or how it was intended to function. It is because God knows intrinsically what Creation is meant to be, and it is because God knows everything about it's function and purpose that He can say on the basis of His knowledge of it what is good and what is evil.
    From himself. Quite bizarre.

From the righteous judgement of God, as I've explained it is hardly bizarre at all. It makes perfect sense that God would reveal a physical sign of His mercy towards us, and the full cost of sin.
    Guilty by decree. Sounds rather despotic. Saddam accuses you of being a traitor. The only person who can decide if you are guilty or innocent is Saddam. You are born guilty of sedition. Would you really be grateful for him shooting his own son in your place? Would he strike you as loving and just?

This is ridiculous reasoning. The creation is God's therefore He has the right to legislate. Much as the State has the right to legislate. If I am before a judge for something that was clearly evil, how laughable would the notion be that I would call the judge despotic for rightfully judging?

Moreover, it is hardly ridiculous as an example to think that if I racked up a debt, and someone paid the price of that debt in full in return on my behalf so I might be spared it. I would still be fully a debtor who was not deserving of such kindness, but yet I received it. In the same way, while I was yet a sinner, Christ paid the penalty of sin in full on my behalf so that I can walk free. Entirely undeserving, entirely a free gift, entirely loving and entirely self-sacrificial.
    A willingness to torture you for ever removes any possibility of this being true. It also junks any possibility of God being merciful.

Not at all. God has given you everything you need to be forgiven, yet you refuse to accept it. How exactly is this His fault? It seems like it is pinning the blame on God for your stubbornness. How absurd!
    It wouldn't be saying that at all. If I forgive you for something without first smacking you areound a bit I am seemingly at fault. That is a really perverse view of forgiveness.

Sorry what? The smacking you around part doesn't even come into that logically.

If God is a just God, then His justice must be satisfied. Namely that the punishment that we deserve for our sin must be dealt with. If it is righteous to judge and God acquits without the penalty being satisfied that would make Him fundamentally incompetent.

The point of Christianity is that God was still right to command us to seek after Him, we are guilty but God wants us to come back to Him. Instead of visiting his wrath as He could justifiably, He's given us unmerited favour instead.
    Even if you can transfer the punishment for a sin, you cannot transfer the responsibility. The former is perverse and the latter nonsensical.
    Consider a murderer. He is found guilty and sentenced to death. His wife, to profess her love, chooses to take his punishment. She is killed in his stead and his debt is considered paid. The horrifying nature of this scenario aside, is he now not a murderer. Can his wife take on the moral guilt of the crime?

Christians don't believe that the responsibility for sin has been transferred. Christians hold very clearly that they were the ones who sinned. That's why we believe that we cannot be saved of our own merit, but only by the grace of God through Jesus Christ.

The wife can't take on the murderers sin because the wife has also sinned.
    This is a logical contradiction. The law of non-contradiction. Jesus cannot be God and not-God at the same time. He can't be seperate from himself.

That's not what I said. I said that Jesus was separated from God the Father. Isolated from Him for the time that He was on the cross. Much in the same way as sin isolated us, our sin isolated Him.
    You can't compress infinity into any arbitrarily long non-infinite period.
    That doesn't make sense.

This only comes into play if we presume that God is bound by time, that's what you seem to be implying here.
    In what sense does Jesus "die". Can God die? (and simultaneously not be dead?)

The Bible teaches that Jesus took on human form when He came to earth. Christians also believe that Jesus was pre-eminent. He existed with God in the beginning prior to His incarnation in human flesh. Jesus insofar as He bore human flesh died.
    What was Paul onabout then? (assuming it was Paul. I can't remember for certain)

Provide me some Scripture and we can talk.
    Do you see nothing wrong with belief being the primary basis for salvation?
    Why is belief necessary? Would you agree that belief is not itself a moral matter?

Apologies for the length of the post, there was a lot to unpack in there!

You still don't understand if you're asking me that question.

Belief is the only way possible to bring salvation. If we were judging by works, we've sinned and are guilty and are fully deserving of God's wrath. A just God, without Jesus as our substitute would have to visit the penalty of our sin on us instead.

If we are guilty and if there is no other way that we can be unguilty, then we are condemned. There's no other way around it, other than Jesus. He came to rescue us as a free gift if we acknowledge Him and follow Him as Lord.

It's not really much to ask to be honest. Is it? Or do you expect to receive God's favour while rejecting Him, calling Him and asshole amongst other things? What kind of God would that be? No God at all, no Lord at all, rather all He'd be is our ATM machine of favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Cossax wrote: »
    I think he means the difference between gnostic atheists and agnostic atheists.

Most atheists are agnostic atheists but believers tend to straw man and argue as if we are all gnostic atheists.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭HHobo

Phil,

While I appreciate you taking the time to respond, thanks for that, it is clear that this conversation is futile. You keep telling me what I already know you believe. It seems that you are commited to looking at this entirely from the perspective of God being great. Given that this is the exact thing being debated, it is not a valid presupposition. If God were pure evil, you would never be able to see it, as you treat all of God actions as good by fiat.

You are not really responding to my actual criticisms with arguments; you just keep telling me what you believe.

An example of what I mean:
    Right from the get-go you make the claim that you are not ignoring my argument that God was free to create us any which way he wanted. He chose to instil in us the desire to do things that he didn’t want us doing. You then go right ahead an ignore it and go straight back to claiming that we are free to do X or Y. Our freedom of choice was not at issue. The argument was: Why would God create us with a desire to sin. He could have created humans who are perfectly free agents but simply had no desire for the things he considers sinful. He, by his own free choice, created a race of beings who are, by your own arguement, literally incapable of living in accordance with the arbitrary rules he chooses to set. You wish to absolve him of any responsibility for this. I was looking for an actual argument as to how this is not God’s responsibility. You didn’t provide one. You just fiat declared that God is not responsible for our choices and ignored entirely our natures (something we don’t have a choice about) that are the result of God’s choices.
    I’m not really looking for a response here, just giving this an example.
    This debate would be much like you questioning a Muslim on how they see Allah as just in doing X or Y in the Koran and they keep responding with “Allah IS just”.
    I don’t doubt that you are telling me what you believe to be true, its just not what I was asking.

Thanks again though for taking the time to respond to my lenghty questions there, I very much appreciate it. :)
    All the best, Phil.

• Advertisement

I answered your question. Pinning the blame on God for what we decide to do as a result of Him giving us free will is daft. Its like saying if I crash my friends car into a ditch that He's responsible for it because He gave me the keys.

Much in the same way as Adam tried to pin the blame on God, you're trying to blame God for giving you free will.

Free will is the reason why we can decide to do evil rather than good. Therefore the responsibility is with us. It's not that complex surely?

To anyone with the slightest sense that's daft.

Accusing me of ignoring your question when I gave you sound reason as to why I think the logic is flawed also seems a bit silly.

The only reason I argue that God is just is because I have good reason to believe so. What the heck did you expect for me to join in calling God an "asshole" with you? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Blinkus wrote: »
    Nonsense, Christianity is not stupid, it has a deep theology to back it up, theology is the systematic and rational study of God after all. Because you don't study Theology it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

The more intelligent and educated someone is, the more they excessively rationalize to the point where they deceive themselves. They are like children in a big mansion, they get lost. This is why unbelievers are nearly always educated people, they have plenty of room to toy with words, their meanings and even redefine them. This also explains why the totalitarian dictator elitists ('liberals') are educated and fairly wealthy. If you think enough about something, you can eventually justify anything. The Nazi's did this.

A sociologist carried out a study on Hitler's henchmen, the guys who did his dirty work, and found they were highly educated and intelligent. They did the same thing, justified their crimes through their ability to over rationalize. It shows the most dangerous people can be the intellectuals.

The poor on the other hand, don't have the education and thus playing room you guys have. They are simple minded and thus not easily deceived. It's far easier to fool a philosopher than a farmer. Not only this, but they need God, since they don't have a doctor nearby or a supermarket.

The glorification of rationalization by you lot, overlooks the error that is prone in human thinking. It works against you.

If you're educated and you don't want God to exist, for whatever motives, then go and make that happen, make believe, just like a fairy tale. If you don't want the unborn to be babies, just call them fetus's, since that might temporarily serve to alleviate a guilty conscience for a couple of years.

Seems the bible was right when it say Human wisdom is folly ;)

Obvious troll is obvious

philologos wrote: »
    I answered your question. Pinning the blame on God for what we decide to do as a result of Him giving us free will is daft. Its like saying if I crash my friends car into a ditch that He's responsible for it because He gave me the keys.

You still aren't understanding the question. Let me try a different approach to explain how I think God cannot escape some degree of accountibility.

Image if a group of nefarious scientists created a new species by manipulating DNA. They design this creature will an insatiable blood lust. It is part of this creatures nature. This creature is also sentient.
    When these creatures eventually go on a killing spree, by your logic, the creators of these creatures bear absolutely no responsibility at all as the creatures have free will. You would be calling the people who want to hold the scientists responsible as "daft" for not understanding that they can't be held accountable as the creatures could have chosen not to go on a killing spree.

God could have created humans as free agents without the strong desires to commit what you are calling "sins". He chose to create us broken, essentially. Unless you wish to suggest that he was incapable of creating humans who are both have free will and a strong preference for being virtuous?

When you create a thing, you are at least some way responsible for its actions are you not?
    Free will is the reason why we can decide to do evil rather than good. Therefore the responsibility is with us. It's not that complex surely?

If I raise a child, teaching him everyday to hate Jews. I talk endlessly about how noble and visionary Hitler was. I feed him a constant stream of negative stories of Jews and cultivate in him a deep hatred.

I am entirely blameless if he grows up hating Jews?

He has free will. He can decide not to hate? The responsibility is with him. It's not that complex surely?... well I think it is complex.
    God has done far worse than simply molding minds to prefer sin, he has buried these desires deep in our natures. If he had not, it would be a relatively trivial thing for at least some people to live completely sinless lives. Scripture practically delights in telling us how sinful we are and that none can possibly live up to God's standard.
    Accusing me of ignoring your question when I gave you sound reason as to why I think the logic is flawed also seems a bit silly.

Do you still think you answered the question I asked?
    The only reason I argue that God is just is because I have good reason to believe so. What the heck did you expect for me to join in calling God an "asshole" with you? :confused:

I don't agree with that. I think if a human acted as God has, you wouldn't even dream of defending their actions. You start from the position that God is good and you try to justify that position afterwards. Do you deny that it is axiomatic to you that God is good?

I would expect you to call someone, or something, an asshole when they are acting like one and not make special exceptions for your favorite deity:)

Do you honestly think God's treatment of Job was just from start to finish?
    He esentially had Job's entire family murdered on a bet :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

You still aren't understanding the question. Let me try a different approach to explain how I think God cannot escape some degree of accountibility.

Image if a group of nefarious scientists created a new species by manipulating DNA. They design this creature will an insatiable blood lust. It is part of this creatures nature. This creature is also sentient.
    When these creatures eventually go on a killing spree, by your logic, the creators of these creatures bear absolutely no responsibility at all as the creatures have free will. You would be calling the people who want to hold the scientists responsible as "daft" for not understanding that they can't be held accountable as the creatures could have chosen not to go on a killing spree.

God could have created humans as free agents without the strong desires to commit what you are calling "sins". He chose to create us broken, essentially. Unless you wish to suggest that he was incapable of creating humans who are both have free will and a strong preference for being virtuous?

When you create a thing, you are at least some way responsible for its actions are you not?

If I raise a child, teaching him everyday to hate Jews. I talk endlessly about how noble and visionary Hitler was. I feed him a constant stream of negative stories of Jews and cultivate in him a deep hatred.

He has free will. He can decide not to hate? The responsibility is with him. It's not that complex surely?... well I think it is complex.
    God has done far worse than simply molding minds to prefer sin, he has buried these desires deep in our natures. If he had not, it would be a relatively trivial thing for at least some people to live completely sinless lives. Scripture practically delights in telling us how sinful we are and that none can possibly live up to God's standard.

I don't agree with that. I think if a human acted as God has, you wouldn't even dream of defending their actions. You start from the position that God is good and you try to justify that position afterwards. Do you deny that it is axiomatic to you that God is good?

I would expect you to call someone, or something, an asshole when they are acting like one and not make special exceptions for your favorite deity:)

Good effort. A few of us have tried this line of questioning. Expect inadequate answers and complete dodging of the question.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

MrPudding wrote: »
    Good effort. A few of us have tried this line of questioning. Expect inadequate answers and complete dodging of the question.

MrP
    Are you guys Atheists ... or simply anti-Theists?
    ... a lot of your line of questioning indicates that you know that God exists (so you're not an Atheist) ... it's just that you don't like Him (so you're an anti-Theist).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

No JC, their saying that God as defined, if he exists in not good, just or worthy of respect other than out of fear of retribution.

J C wrote: »
    ... a lot of your line of questioning indicates that you know that God exists (so you're not an Atheist) ... it's just that you don't like Him (so you're an anti-Theist).

I would consider myself to be an agnostic-atheist who also happens to be anti-theist.

I am sorry if it is beyond your level of comprehension, but sometimes people having a growed up conversation will allow an assumption for the purposes of that conversation.

Clearly I could say, "you god does not exist, therefore your argument is useless" but that is not very productive.

Tommy, like most people, has managed to grasp this concept. Please try to keep up. I know it's tough.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

MrPudding wrote: »
    I would consider myself to be an agnostic-atheist who also happens to be anti-theist.

I am sorry if it is beyond your level of comprehension, but sometimes people having a growed up conversation will allow an assumption for the purposes...........Please try to keep up. I know it's tough.

MrP

Have a read of your own words here and show me how this isn't against the charter, never mind discourteous.
    These megathreads are tiresome because of posts like this.

Have a read of your own words here and show me how this isn't against the charter, never mind discourteous.
    These megathreads are tiresome because of posts like this.

Not going to apologise. JC's constant, and presumably intentional, missing of the point and misrepresentation of arguments and positions is, after all these years, getting a little tiresome.

MrP

... a lot of your line of questioning indicates that you know that God exists (so you're not an Atheist)

Hi JC,

Personally, I don't believe that God exists. I am happy to grant the premise though in order to investigate other aspects of religion. I think religious people are just as moral and decent as the irreligious but thier faith often requires of them that they support some fairly odious ideas. I am sure they must have some way of thinking about the whole thing that allows them to view, what to me are hideously immoral ideas, as being quite moral. I am interested in understanding the presuppositions they hold and the perspective that they are coming from that facillitates that view.
    ... it's just that you don't like Him (so you're an anti-Theist)

What you are describing would essentially be Anti-Yahweh Theism.

I am in many respects an anti-Theist. Anti-Theist is really just someone who believes that religion is a bad thing.
    Theism = belief in a God.
    Anti-theism = Opposition to belief in God. In practice it is generally the view that religion is harmful.
    Atheist and anti-theist are entirely compatible with each other and in my estimation most atheists are at least a little anti-theist, if for no other reason they believe it is a whopper of a lie. :)

Just to be clear as anti-theist can often be misinterpreted as being anti-religious person:

I oppose religion because I think it has a negative effect on society (not always or completely but in general), it has been a very effective source and tool of discrimination, it has been a retarding force working against scientific progress (though thankfully to a lesser extent today - today it serves more as a barrier to scientific education than actual scientific progress) and also because I think it is untrue. I would say that religion may sometimes be a positive thing but in my opinion the cons far outweigh the pros. I think the pros can be achieved without religion. I don't hate or even dislike religious people. I find myself frustrated by them a lot but I don't think they are bad people. While I might have some questions about their rationality, I also don't think that you have to be stupid to be religious. I've met some very intelligent, insightful, thoughly-decent people who are religious.

The TLDR version:
    Religion: bad.
    Religious people: good or bad on an individual basis.

You still don't understand if you're asking me that question.

Belief is the only way possible to bring salvation. If we were judging by works, we've sinned and are guilty and are fully deserving of God's wrath. A just God, without Jesus as our substitute would have to visit the penalty of our sin on us instead.

If we are guilty and if there is no other way that we can be unguilty, then we are condemned. There's no other way around it, other than Jesus. He came to rescue us as a free gift if we acknowledge Him and follow Him as Lord.

It's not really much to ask to be honest. Is it?

You didn't answer the question, you just explained that we cannot be saved through works. You didn't explain why belief is necessary.

By Christian logic I am guilt of rebellion against God's wishes, and thus deserving of punishment. But because Jesus took that punishment for me I am spared from punishment (note punishment, not simply not being allowed into God's house).

But I have to believe in Jesus. Why exactly? I am still guilty and by Christian logic nothing I do can spare me from punishment, only what Jesus can do. So why do I have to believe. That is an action I am expected to do.
    Or do you expect to receive God's favour while rejecting Him, calling Him and asshole amongst other things?

Yes, that is the whole point. We are all guilty of sin. We cannot be saved by our actions alone. But God loves us, and despite how wicked we are he wants to spare us from hell, a hell we deserve. So he sends Jesus to take our punishment for us, sparing us from hell despite how wicked we are.

But now you are saying well God isn't going to do that for the bad people, not for the people who call him an asshole. What?? He is going to save the murders, the rapists, the warmongers. But he objects to saving the people who call him an asshole? If I do that I'm undeserving of salvation? But when I was murdering and raping and launching nuclear weapons I was still deserving of salvation?

The basis of Christian salvation is that God loves us despite what we have done. So why do we have to believe *cough* because Jesus was a cult leader who wanted people to worship him *cough*

Zombrex wrote: »
    But now you are saying well God isn't going to do that for the bad people, not for the people who call him an asshole. What?? He is going to save the murders, the rapists, the warmongers. But he objects to saving the people who call him an asshole? If I do that I'm undeserving of salvation? But when I was murdering and raping and launching nuclear weapons I was still deserving of salvation?

The basis of Christian salvation is that God loves us despite what we have done. So why do we have to believe *cough* because Jesus was a cult leader who wanted people to worship him *cough*
    The point is that God is an infinitely loving and just God.
    He loves us and wants to Save us ... but He wiill not force His love on us ... so we must accept His infinite loving Salvation ... and be humble enough to ask for it (and repent of our sin).
    ... the alternative is to submit oneself to God's infinite justice ... and I wouldn't do that, if I were you ... but it's entirely up to you.

Paul's instructions to Christian slaves, encouraging them to "wholeheartly" submit to their masters and that doing so is the will of God (entirely consistent with the Old Testament where God regulates the practice of slavery)

Ephesians 6:
    5 Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. 6 Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart. 7 Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not people, 8 because you know that the Lord will reward each one for whatever good they do, whether they are slave or free.

but He wiill not force His love on us

Why? What is the bad thing that happens if he "forces his love on us" (ie decides not to make us suffer for all eternity in a lake of fire).

Its like saying I'm not going to force you to accept my loving offer of not shooting you in the face with a shotgun :rolleyes:

Paul's instructions to Christian slaves, encouraging them to "wholeheartly" submit to their masters and that doing so is the will of God (entirely consistent with the Old Testament where God regulates the practice of slavery)

Ephesians 6:
    5 Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. 6 Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart. 7 Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not people, 8 because you know that the Lord will reward each one for whatever good they do, whether they are slave or free.

Ephesians is a book about what the church is and how Christians should live as a result of this. I notice that you've snipped the passage. Let's look at the whole block:
    Bondservants, obey your earthly masters with fear and trembling, with a sincere heart, as you would Christ, not by the way of eye-service, as people-pleasers, but as bondservants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart, rendering service with a good will as to the Lord and not to man, knowing that whatever good anyone does, this he will receive back from the Lord, whether he is a bondservant or is free. Masters, do the same to them, and stop your threatening, knowing that he who is both their Master and yours is in heaven, and that there is no partiality with him.

Paul is saying that Christians should submit to their masters as they would to Jesus. Following Jesus should make a difference in serving ones master.

Notice that Paul is also saying that masters who are Christians should stop threatening, and that they should know that God is ultimately the master of all.

I don't see what is so controversial about this. In fact I and many other Christians use this passage and other passages in Colossians, and 1 Peter to submit to God's will in terms of our work, even to the unkind (1 Peter 2:19).

The New Testament passages exclusively address how Christians are meant to live in a non-Christian society, and how Christians are meant to live distinctively in that world, and in that society. Slavery was a reality to be dealt with.

I don't see anything wrong with what Paul or Peter have written, I think there's much in their writings that can inspire us to live distinctively in a non-Christian age.

The Ephesians 6 model does not encourage oppressive masters. It encourages masters to treat their slaves with respect, as Christ has treated them. This is why I think that the New Testament doesn't encourage anything of the kind of colonial slavery.

• Advertisement

The Ephesians 6 model does not encourage oppressive masters. It encourages masters to treat their slaves with respect, as Christ has treated them. This is why I think that the New Testament doesn't encourage anything of the kind of colonial slavery.

So in your mind slavery is ok so long as the slaves submit to their masters and the masters do not threaten their slaves?

"Slavery" as in treating certain people as having reduced civil rights and personal authority who are bought and sold among free peoples as a form of personal property and held in bondage?

Because Paul certainly thinks it is ok, as does God apparently.

So in your mind slavery is ok so long as the slaves submit to their masters and the masters do not threaten their slaves?

"Slavery" as in treating certain people as having reduced civil rights and personal authority who are bought and sold among free peoples as a form of personal property and held in bondage?

Because Paul certainly thinks it is ok, as does God apparently.

I think you're missing the point. If masters served their slaves, as Christ has served humanity as verse 9 and also the beginning of this section in verse 21 where it says that Christians should submit to one another out of reverence for Christ before looking to the relationship between husbands and wives (5:22-33), children and parents (6:1-3), and slaves and masters (6:5-9) there wouldn't be these issues, unless one is to seriously suggest that serving ones slaves as Christ their master would would lead to reduced civil rights?

Unless you want to explain how being a master who models the mastership of Christ could be an oppressive thing, as that's what Paul is pointing to in Ephesians.

Why? What is the bad thing that happens if he "forces his love on us" (ie decides not to make us suffer for all eternity in a lake of fire).

Its like saying I'm not going to force you to accept my loving offer of not shooting you in the face with a shotgun :rolleyes:
    Its like saying that you have the freedom to accept God ...
    ... and you have the freedom to reject Him.

I think you're missing the point. If masters served their slaves, as Christ has served humanity as verse 9 and also the beginning of this section in verse 21 where it says that Christians should submit to one another out of reverence for Christ before looking to the relationship between husbands and wives (5:22-33), children and parents (6:1-3), and slaves and masters (6:5-9) there wouldn't be these issues, unless one is to seriously suggest that serving ones slaves as Christ their master would would lead to reduced civil rights?

I think slavery leads to reduced civil rights, because that is what slavery is.

What in your post are you referring to by "these issues"? You think the only thing wrong with slavery is when masters threaten or abuse their slaves? You realize that slavery itself is a form of abuse, right? That not allowing someone self determination is in of itself a violation of civil rights?

Or are you saying that if everyone did as Paul says we would actually end up with no slavery at all? Because that ain't what Paul is saying.

I think slavery leads to reduced civil rights, because that is what slavery is.

What in your post are you referring to by "these issues"? You think the only thing wrong with slavery is when masters threaten or abuse their slaves? You realize that slavery itself is a form of abuse, right? That not allowing someone self determination is in of itself a violation of civil rights?

Or are you saying that if everyone did as Paul says we would actually end up with no slavery at all? Because that ain't what Paul is saying.

The reason you posted it I presume you think that Paul's idea is objectionable. I'm asking in what way is it objectionable. If Paul is advocating for masters who are Christians to consider how their master in heaven has treated them, in treating their slaves, this precludes an abusive situation between a master and slave.

What's the problem with what Paul has noted from verses 5 - 9? He's encouraging for masters to treat their slaves as Christ has treated them. Unless you're claiming that Christ encourages abuse I can't see what problem arises.

It seems clearly like you're applying a modern colonial based idea to what Paul is advocating where there is no justification for this in the passage itself. In a sense you're committing an anachronism.

Moreover, how is this ignoring Paul as you've claimed I have?

I don't think God designed us with an insatiable blood lust. Our inclination towards sin is a result of the fall.

You mean creating deterministic beings where God has programmed to them to such an extent where their free choice is irrelevant?

See the thing is, if God had created us deterministic beings who sinned, He would be responsible. Since He clearly hasn't, He's not.

Not in the case of autonomous beings who of their own volition have chosen to do X rather than Y.

This example is utterly irrelevant. God didn't teach us to sin.

Scripture doesn't delight in sin. Scripture delights in salvation. In us believing and trusting in Jesus and acknowledging Him as Lord.

I don't think God has done what is evil, we have. In the face of this, God has shown us immeasurable favour which we just don't deserve.

Yes, I do. I certainly have now.

God has acted without reproach. He has authority over Creation.

Except God isn't an asshole by any reasonable standard. From looking over the broad course of revelation, and from looking to Scripture, I can't honestly claim that God is an asshole for legitimately visiting His judgement to those who continually decided to do what is evil rather than what was according to His standard. That's what I'd expect of a holy and a righteous God.

The sum total point of Job is that even one who in the midst of suffering can persevere. Job acknowledges that suffering is a present reality, and that suffering has a purpose in God's overall plan which is entirely consistent with other Scripture such as Genesis 50.

In other ways Job is encouraging, it shows that Satan has only a limited jurisdiction over this world as a result of sin, and suffering only has a limited reign.

I think God was right, and I think that suffering has a bigger purpose than what we see on the surface.

Its like saying that you have the freedom to accept God ...
    ... and you have the freedom to reject Him.

You didn't answer the question.

Because God is just he has to punish us for our sin. But he loves us and thus doesn't want to. So he instead punishes Jesus in a transfer of punishment, sparing humanity from his full wrath.

You are saying he will not "force" this transfer of punishment on us. Why not? What happens if he does, why would it be bad?

The reason you posted it I presume you think that Paul's idea is objectionable. I'm asking in what way is it objectionable.

You want me to explain why slavery is objectionable?

This is why I was so reluctant to actually do this Phil, I knew you would stall for time by just posting nonsense and hoping I would give up and go away.
    If Paul is advocating for masters who are Christians to consider how their master in heaven has treated them, in treating their slaves, this precludes an abusive situation between a master and slave.

Slavery is an abusive situation between a master and slave.
    What's the problem with what Paul has noted from verses 5 - 9? He's encouraging for masters to treat their slaves as Christ has treated them. Unless you're claiming that Christ encourages abuse I can't see what problem arises.

And he is encouraging slaves to submit to their masters. He is encouraging slaves to put up with slavery. He is encouraging the propagation of slavery, because slavery was considered by Paul (and thus God as far as Paul was concerned) to be a natural order of things, rather than an immoral abuse as we now view it.

Not "abusive" slavery. Slavery. The removal of autonomy and civil rights of humans by the act of viewing and treating them as property through forced servitude.
    Moreover, how is this ignoring Paul as you've claimed I have?

Do you think slavery is moral? I just want to hear you say you don't think slavery is immoral, then I know you will arguing anything to try and save face.

You want me to explain why slavery is objectionable?

No, I expect you to read what you've quoted honestly without ignoring it.
    This is why I was so reluctant to actually do this Phil, I knew you would stall for time by just posting nonsense and hoping I would give up and go away.

I'm not stalling anything, I'm reading the passage. You intentionally ignored verse 9 for some reason. If you're shocked that I'm actually reading the passage rather than expressing outrage at something that isn't there then be shocked.

I think it's wholly good. Paul is advocating that masters treat their slaves with the respect that they deserve.
    Masters, do the same to them, and stop your threatening, knowing that he who is both their Master and yours is in heaven, and that there is no partiality with him.

What's fascinating is "do the same to them". Namely from verse 7 - 8, that they should render service with a good will as to the Lord and not to man, knowing that whatever good anyone does they will receive back from the Lord.

It's somehow interesting that you raise this passage, and yet don't seem very interested in reading what it actually says about the relationship between masters and slaves. You claim that I ignore it, when I look to this very passage when I seek to serve my boss at work.

I'm asking you very simply what's wrong with the text in and of itself apart from applying extra-Biblical anachronisms that can't be found in the text to it?
    Slavery is an abusive situation between a master and slave.

What Paul is describing precludes abuse if you just read the passage. It's clear that Paul is saying that masters should treat their slaves in consideration of God, and that one should treat them as they were serving God Himself.

How could a master who was trying to serve God in how they treated their slaves encourage abuse?

It's like how people treat the previous section on marriage. It's never about the actual passage itself.
    And he is encouraging slaves to submit to their masters. He is encouraging slaves to put up with slavery. He is encouraging slavery.

He's saying that if you are a slave, you should submit to your master as to the Lord. Correct.

He's also saying that if you are a master, you should treat your slaves with respect and in the same way that you would treat God. If i note the "do the same to them" in the first clause of verse 9, which refers back to the previous section.
    Do you think slavery is moral? Not abusive slavery (what ever the heck you think that is).

Just slavery, is it immoral? I just want to hear you say you don't think slavery is immoral.

I think what Paul is encouraging is entirely good, and entirely just.

If you actually read the passage rather than faffing around with anachronisms you might actually see this too. Paul is describing a slave / master relationship, and how it should work in a Christian context.

I find it funny that you claim that I ignore Scripture, when I'm the one actually reading it, and I'm the one who is actually applying this to my life in terms of the work that I am doing on a daily basis. In reading Ephesians 6, I am listening to what God is actually telling me in respect to how I serve at work. Do it for God, and do it as you are working for God rather than men.

You claim that I post nonsense about the passage when I'm the one who is paying attention to it. Get a grip!

• Advertisement

No, I expect you to read what you've quoted honestly without ignoring it.

I did. You seem to be suggesting Paul saying to masters treat your slaves well some how means something significant to the point at hand. It doesn't, and I suspect you actually know it doesn't.

The point at hand is the sanction of slavery, and the encouragement of slaves to happy submit to their own slavery by Paul. This comes from the part where Paul instructs slaves to be good little slaves and happy obey their masters because that is the order of things as God intended.

The bit about masters treating their slaves well is as morally irrelevant as saying when you are raping someone try and use polite words. Slavery itself is a crime, slavery itself is a form of abuse. This concept is totally alien to Paul, but it isn't alien to you. So stop pretending otherwise simply to stall the conversation.
    I'm not stalling anything, I'm reading the passage. You intentionally ignored verse 9 for some reason.

I "intentionally ignored" verse 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 and 24 as well. I also didn't quote 1 to 4 either. Because they aren't about sanctioning slavery.

Stop stalling.
    I think it's wholly good. Paul is advocating that masters treat their slaves with the respect that they deserve.

You think they deserve to be slaves? Why exactly?
    What's fascinating is "do the same to them". Namely from verse 7 - 8, that they should render service with a good will as to the Lord and not to man, knowing that whatever good anyone does they will receive back from the Lord.

Yes it is fascinating. It shows how totally ordinary slavery was to Paul, how the idea that slavery itself is immoral was unknown to him. He is not in anyway distressed or outraged by it. It is just the way things are. Which is odd if he is imparting the morality of God, who apparently is anti-slavery. :rolleyes:

The piece is saying both be a good slave and a good slave master, without any recognition of the contradiction inherent in such a statement., that it is impossible to be both "good" while practising slavery. It is a complete explicate and implicate (as Jimi would say) acceptance of slavery.

So again, do you believe, as Paul clearly does, that slavery is normal, acceptable, moral and sanctioned by God?
    You claim that I ignore it, when I look to this very passage when I seek to serve my boss at work.
    I'm sorry, are you a slave? Otherwise how you "serve" your "boss" is utterly irrelevant.
    I'm asking you very simply what's wrong with the text in and of itself apart from applying extra-Biblical anachronisms that can't be found in the text to it?
    And I've told you, it is normalising slavery. You seem to be persistently ignoring that point, instead talking about how good it is that the masters are told to threat their slaves well while ignoring that they shouldn't have slaves in the first place. And then you talk about your boss at work. Stop stalling, you know what the issue here is you just don't want to face it.
    What Paul is describing precludes abuse if you just read the passage.

Yes because Paul does not consider slavery itself an abuse.

That is the whole point, slavery is normal and right to Paul. He is saying in the context of normal slavery don't abuse your slaves. The idea that slavery itself is a form of abuse hasn't even occurred to him.

You know this, stop stalling.
    How could a master who was trying to serve God in how they treated their slaves encourage abuse?

By owning slaves! By partaking in the act of slavery!
    He's saying that if you are a slave, you should submit to your master as to the Lord. Correct.

Do you agree with that? Do you believe slaves should happy submit to their masters? Do you agree with the concept of slavery itself?
    I think what Paul is encouraging is entirely good, and entirely just.

I didn't ask you that. Stop stalling. Do you believe slavery is acceptable and moral?
    If you actually read the passage rather than faffing around with anachronisms you might actually see this too. Paul is describing a slave / master relationship, and how it should work in a Christian context.

Yes I know, because according to Paul Christianity has no problem with slavery, slavery is normal and moral according to Paul and in fact slaves should wilfully submit and partake in their own bondage.
    You claim that I post nonsense about the passage when I'm the one who is paying attention to it. Get a grip!

You are also the one trying really really really hard to avoid answer the question put to you.

Again this is why I knew such a discussion would be rather pointless. You are just stalling, you are refusing to comment on the actual morality of slavery itself. Because we know you don't think slavery is moral. But you have to marry that with what you believe is the gospel of God.

This is no different to Christians who know loving homosexual unions are not immoral, and try to marry that with the gospel of God.

You are all doing the same thing because none of you can actually follow the Bible as it is written. This rather pointless exercise has simply highlighted what I already said on the other thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement